AL MVP so far?

Matt39

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cabrera, Gonzalez or Bautista?

I'm going with Bautista.

Why? Because Bautista has a few more home runs or because he has less around him? Gonzalez would get my vote. He leads the league in numerous categories and he plays stellar defense. Bautista is not good on D. The Jays are also a 4th place team and fading.

Why? Because Bautista has a few more home runs or because he has less around him? Gonzalez would get my vote. He leads the league in numerous categories and he plays stellar defense. Bautista is not good on D. The Jays are also a 4th place team and fading.

Better OPS, OBP, slugging, more home runs...he's the better hitter. The only categories Gonzalez leads him in is RBI's and batting average. And RBI's aren't a great stat anyways.

Better OPS, OBP, slugging, more home runs...he's the better hitter. The only categories Gonzalez leads him in is RBI's and batting average. And RBI's aren't a great stat anyways.

Gonzalez also leads in doubles, triples, hits, and is a Gold Glove candidate. I thought this was Most Valuable Player? You want to give Bautista a Silver Slugger, go ahead. Who is more important to their team. Without A-Gon the Sox would not be in 1st place. Without Bautista wouldn't the Jays still be in 4th?

Gonzalez also leads in doubles, triples, hits, and is a Gold Glove candidate. I thought this was Most Valuable Player? You want to give Bautista a Silver Slugger, go ahead. Who is more important to their team. Without A-Gon the Sox would not be in 1st place. Without Bautista wouldn't the Jays still be in 4th?

Its not Bautista's fault he's on a bad team. Bautista gets on base more...its pretty simple right now he's the better hitter.

Way too early to begin discussing, but I'll entertain it.

Bautista plays for a loser and has had a pedestrian month of June (though he did the same last year).

The problem for Gonzalez is that he's not exactly carrying the team with the way guys like Ortiz and Ellisbury are playing.

My current favorite would be Miggy, but like I said, too much can change over the next 3+ months.

Its not Bautista's fault he's on a bad team. Bautista gets on base more...its pretty simple right now he's the better hitter.

I'm not saying he isn't. You said most valuable player. Not best hitter. Long way in the season to go. It could go to either of those three guys.

It keeps being true so I'm gonna keep talking about it.You should at least have a little honesty and admit it. If anything it shows that your FO knows what they are doing.

It's not true. The Padres got a great package in return. The 21 year old first baseman is already up in the majors. The other prospects are performing well. Casey Kelly was ranked 22nd by MLB.com in terms of best prospects. Go do some research.

It's not true. The Padres got a great package in return. The 21 year old first baseman is already up in the majors. The other prospects are performing well. Casey Kelly was ranked 22nd by MLB.com in terms of best prospects. Go do some research.

Kelly is a middling AA pitcher and Rizzo is a decent prospect who will be a Lyle Overbay type player. It's a decent package but it's a joke that they traded their 28 year old best player who was making nothing for that package without getting even ONE major league player like Buchholz or Bard. Shockingly they have the 2nd worst record in baseball! Who would've thunk it. (They were in first place on this date last year BTW) Hoyer was just doing his ex bosses a favor and in a few years when he's fired from SD he'll be right back as an overpaid middle management type in boston.

The Padres couldn't give him the money. The prospects they got back were more than anyone else could offer. Kelly will be a great starter for them within the next year or two. You're beating a dead donkey. Find something else to be wrong about.

Stop being a boston talking points machine. You're broken record. There is zero evidence to believe that Kelly will be great at anything. How the hell do you know what they were offered from other teams? Or what they would've got at the deadline, or if they could've kept him. What major league players they could've gotten to avoid being one of the worst teams in baseball because Hoyer wanted to help out his boy Theo. It's shocking that he would be shameless enough to do that travesty of a trade. It's horrible for baseball and it looks awful because of who made it. Who knows maybe Hoyer is just a completely moron but i doubt it. The yankees have never made a trade like this for a great player in his prime making nothing without having to give up a huge price.

Stop being a boston talking points machine. You're broken record. There is zero evidence to believe that Kelly will be great at anything. How the hell do you know what they were offered from other teams? Or what they would've got at the deadline, or if they could've kept him. What major league players they could've gotten to avoid being one of the worst teams in baseball because Hoyer wanted to help out his boy Theo. It's shocking that he would be shameless enough to do that travesty of a trade. It's horrible for baseball and it looks awful because of who made it. Who knows maybe Hoyer is just a completely moron but i doubt it. The yankees have never made a trade like this for a great player in his prime making nothing without having to give up a huge price.

How do we know what the actual price for the trade will be before the prospects develop? At the time of the trade they were and still are some of the top prospects of the game. That is fact. Look it up. San Diego admitted they could not keep him. Also fact, look it up.

How do you not know that this wasn't the best they could do? The longer they waited to trade him, the less the package gets from most teams because it is a shorter window in which to re-sign the guy.

The Red Sox did give up a huge price in prospects and the trade cannot be a travesty until the whole thing pans out. I'm not sure why you think a young player in his prime going to a major market is a terrible thing for baseball.

Everyone knew they had to trade him and San Diego did the best it could do, or it would have done something else. To accuse someone of what you're accusing them of is slanderous and borderline libel. It's a good thing you're just a nerd with a keyboard and not a journalist.

How do we know what the actual price for the trade will be before the prospects develop? At the time of the trade they were and still are some of the top prospects of the game. That is fact. Look it up. San Diego admitted they could not keep him. Also fact, look it up.

How do you not know that this wasn't the best they could do? The longer they waited to trade him, the less the package gets from most teams because it is a shorter window in which to re-sign the guy.

The Red Sox did give up a huge price in prospects and the trade cannot be a travesty until the whole thing pans out. I'm not sure why you think a young player in his prime going to a major market is a terrible thing for baseball.

Everyone knew they had to trade him and San Diego did the best it could do, or it would have done something else. To accuse someone of what you're accusing them of is slanderous and borderline libel. It's a good thing you're just a nerd with a keyboard and not a journalist.

They got BOSTON'S best prospects. That doesn't mean they are some of the best in the game. Kelly is putting up mediocre numbers and Rizzo will be a nice player. Nothing more. The idea that a team would trade their best player who was 28 years old for a few prospects and zero major league players is a total disgrace. The only thing more laughable is that you don't see how horrible it is for baseball. That is the weird bawston bubble that apparently you live in. A team that was ONE GAME out of the wild card last year and had made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years basically gave up 2-3 years of being a last place joke to help your team out! It's an utter joke. Ask a Pods fan about how great Casey Kelly is. If you think those 2 prospects were a huge price you're just being a delusional homer. A huge price is what the Yankee gave up for Arod, the 27 year old best 2B in baseball at the time + prospects. A good young MAJOR LEAGUER plus good prospects and it would've been more if arod didn't have an insane contract. Gonzalez is making 6 million this year. The fact that boston didn't have to give up AT LEAST Buchholz and probably Bard too is just an utter travesty. Hoyer is one of two things, one of the stupidest people in baseball or running an affinity scam. Period.

The idea that you're accusing me of slander or libel (they aren't the same thing) for pointing this out just shows how immune to facts you are.

I know the difference between slander and libel. You are out of your mind obviously. I'm not going to touch this topic again until you have proof of anything you actually claim. And since you never will I'm done.

Oh and I love your revisionist history. There were no good prospects sent to Texas for A Rod. Just an overrated soriano and a PTBNL.

I know the difference between slander and libel. You are out of your mind obviously. I'm not going to touch this topic again until you have proof of anything you actually claim. And since you never will I'm done.

Oh and I love your revisionist history. There were no good prospects sent to Texas for A Rod. Just an overrated soriano and a PTBNL.

He might have been overrated however he's gonna end up with a MUCH better pro career than anyone in the Gonzalez trade and he was a proven MLB 2 time All star when he was traded. The PTBNL was the 3rd best prospect in the Yankee system (It could've been Cano too) at the time according to BA. The fact that he didn't hit really doesn't mean anything at the time. Thats what happens with prospects and it's why the Rangers got a proven MLB player in that trade. You're just making my point for me. The Rangers were in a MUCH MUCH worse position than the Padres were and they got a proven player and a chance at another good prospect.

Kelly is a middling AA pitcher and Rizzo is a decent prospect who will be a Lyle Overbay type player. It's a decent package but it's a joke that they traded their 28 year old best player who was making nothing for that package without getting even ONE major league player like Buchholz or Bard. Shockingly they have the 2nd worst record in baseball! Who would've thunk it. (They were in first place on this date last year BTW) Hoyer was just doing his ex bosses a favor and in a few years when he's fired from SD he'll be right back as an overpaid middle management type in boston.

Rizzo is 21, already in the majors, and hit 17 HRs/drove in 63 RBIs in the games leading up to his call up. He's one of the best offensive prospects in the game.

I like Kelly and Fuentes a great deal too...particularly Fuentes.

I'd vote for Gonzalez right now, but this could change in what should be a pretty exciting race. If Bautista keeps this up though...

Gonzalez, by a lot. Granderson is playing third fiddle behind ARoid and Texiera. Bautista is the last of the juice cowboys. The Sox took off once Gonzalez got his feet under him.

OPS+

Granderson: 152

Tex: 140

A-rod: 132

12 is a decent difference...I'd say Granderson is the best offensive Yankee this year so far.

Kelly is a middling AA pitcher

Your opinion aside, the scouts still seemed to be pretty high on Kelly coming into this season:

Ranking in ScoutingBook (6/22/2011): #13 none.gif

Ranking in MLB.com Season Preview: #22

Ranking from Sports Illustrated/AOL: #29

Ranking from ESPN: #19

Ranking in Baseball America 2011: #31

Ranking in Baseball Prospectus: #48

Please enlighten us one what you would have done if you were Hoyer.

Gotta give the Sox credit for going after Gonzalez. It's like it used to be for Mike Lowell; Fenway is perfect for him. I guess if you want to hold that against him is up to the individual. I'd give it to Bautista if his team was a real contender, but I have a hard time giving the 2 big awards to a player on teams that aren't going to make the playoffs unless they're head and shoulders better than everyone else.

Gotta give the Sox credit for going after Gonzalez. It's like it used to be for Mike Lowell; Fenway is perfect for him. I guess if you want to hold that against him is up to the individual. I'd give it to Bautista if his team was a real contender, but I have a hard time giving the 2 big awards to a player on teams that aren't going to make the playoffs unless they're head and shoulders better than everyone else.

While I tend to agree, right or wrong, a precedent was set by A-Rod in 2003.

If all things remain the same, Bautista making a run at 50 and 1100+ OPS, Jays staying in the wild card race to September, you can argue he is an MVP. In the end, the talent surrounding him is less than Gonzo's and Cabrera's. Bautista would be worthy and is the favorite right nw.

Archived