Car Question

New York Mick

Brought a 2009 (I think) Mazda 6 to get maintenance done and they're saying I need to get the computer updated of course for $150.00.

My question is why do I need to update a car computer that's not hooked up to the internet and hasn't had any new parts added?

Sorry Blackout, I needed an answer. I'll let you go back to starting all the threads.

SOunds odd. An update for $150. Sounds like a scam. I would google up or check out some mazda forums to see if this is a scam or something that you really need.

I did for the last hour and couldn't find anything really about it so I figured someone one here might know.

Do you mean the navigation system? The cars computer itself shouldnt need any updating and if it does isnt it covered under a warranty? Id request in writing from the service manager what this service entails. It does sound strange to me.

Do you mean the navigation system? The cars computer itself shouldnt need any updating and if it does isnt it covered under a warranty? Id request in writing from the service manager what this service entails. It does sound strange to me.

I doesn't a have a navigation system and they said it's not covered under the warranty.

I doesn't a have a navigation system and they said it's not covered under the warranty.

2009? I'm with you, it doesn't sound normal. The only reason to "update the computer" I know of would be if some change was made to the car, free flowing exhaust/header/cold air intake. Even if you just replaced factory parts with factory parts it shouldn't need a re-flash. If there is another reason there should be under warranty or at least a TSB. I'm a Mopar guy and don't have much Mazda experience though, so take it FWIW. I'll try to ask around.

They used the exact term "updated"? The car wasn't throwing any codes, was it? Check engine light on? If not, I doubt there was a problem.

Brought a 2009 (I think) Mazda 6 to get maintenance done and they're saying I need to get the computer updated of course for $150.00.

My question is why do I need to update a car computer that's not hooked up to the internet and hasn't had any new parts added?

Sorry Blackout, I needed an answer. I'll let you go back to starting all the threads.

Its called a "flash" and it can make your car perform better.

Ask them for the specific reasons why they want to flash your car.

I checked around and it does seem that Mazda people spec computer reflash for everything.

Forum for guy with similar problem

They have drive by wire (no throttle cable) and ask for a reflash to fix that. They is apparently a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for a flash for a shift interlock problem. There is a TSB for 2009 Mazda 6 regarding a cooling system problem that is blamed on "software".

TSB

2009 is pretty new. I'm not sure what kind of warranty that thing has, but it might be covered. Anything emissions related will be covered no matter what they say. If the car doesn't have any problems, no check engine light and it's not covered under warranty, there is no reason I can see to have the work done. They should do a better job of explaining.

I checked around and it does seem that Mazda people spec computer reflash for everything.

Forum for guy with similar problem

They have drive by wire (no throttle cable) and ask for a reflash to fix that. They is apparently a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for a flash for a shift interlock problem. There is a TSB for 2009 Mazda 6 regarding a cooling system problem that is blamed on "software".

TSB

2009 is pretty new. I'm not sure what kind of warranty that thing has, but it might be covered. Anything emissions related will be covered no matter what they say. If the car doesn't have any problems, no check engine light and it's not covered under warranty, there is no reason I can see to have the work done. They should do a better job of explaining.

The flash should be free since its a problem they created.

If is under warranty sure... otherwise what kind of twisted logic is that?

Twisted logic? For real?

The guy bought a car 2 years ago that isnt supposed to have shift interlock problems. The problem is with the design and manufacturing of the car.

Why should I pay for their mistakes? You buy a new car so you dont have to pour money into repairs and BS like this.

What a bunch of crooks, you buy service and they try to charge you for Mazda's faulty programming. It should only take 20-30 min to reflash the ECM, so it sounds like they want $300 dollars an hour from you, pricks. The Factory should be picking up the bill on this one.Like the guys on here said, check for TSB's and call another dealer, this should be FREE.

Twisted logic? For real?

The guy bought a car 2 years ago that isnt supposed to have shift interlock problems. The problem is with the design and manufacturing of the car.

Why should I pay for their mistakes? You buy a new car so you dont have to pour money into repairs and BS like this.

Where did he say that?

It might be out of warranty... if it is then of course he has to pay, who will if he doesn't?

If it is under warranty still it is covered.

Where did he say that?

It might be out of warranty... if it is then of course he has to pay, who will if he doesn't?

If it is under warranty still it is covered.

Warranty BS. A 2 year old car shouldnt have interlock problems. A 10 year old car shouldnt either.

Mazda made the pos, they should fix it on their dime.

***REMINDER*** Never buy a Mazda.

Problem is that when Mazda makes an awesome car, Americans won't buy them. Morbidly obese people can't fit into a sports car. I hope that Mazda drops the Ford engines in the future, the Mazda 6 V6 has a Ford Taurus engine in it, and the Mazda 3 is basically a Ford Focus.

Archived