Cops arrest women for filming them

CTM

She is on her property but to me seems her intent was nothing more than to break the cops balls. If she was really concerned about them arresting the dude she could have backed up and kept filming.

The cop asked you a question and you answered it. Seems fine to me. Personally during my divorce I had much less positive outcomes with the po po, but at the same time nothing I didn't ask for.

Right. On her property, legally filming the cops. She should of called the cops on him for tresspassing

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a cop is dangerous period. Wayne cop I've known since childhood was shot in the head last year responding to a gas station robbery on Rt. 23. Fairfield cop was shot up, female Paramus cop shot up on the highway, Clifton and Fairlawn cops shot together...Fairlawn cop died on Rt. 208 a while back. Throw in Paterson, Passaic, Newark, Jersey City, Irvington, CAmden, etc. and you've got a lot of crazy dangerous incidents going on throughout the state. Even rich communities have domestic violence, burglars, armed robberies, child neglect/abuse, drunk drivers, physchological disorders, addicts etc. But if you think danger level is the only criteria for payscale then lets see how you react to a car accident when a child has become chop-meat and you're the first on scene. Try dealing with the sick, violent, deranged, injured, victimized dead and/or dying on a daily basis. And thats a 12 hour day. Or night. All night. On weekends. On Christmas and thanksgiving and Easter and Halloween and the fourth of july when you're kids don't have you home because you're doing your best to serve a public that can't handle their own lives so they call the police when the dry cleaners lose their garments ((had that one today) or thier 9 yr old daughter refuses to go to school, or their neighbors grass is too long or their basement gets flooded. We've become the babysitters of the weak and litigious. We have to do CPR, enforce the laws, counsel the crazy, intervene in family disputes, clean up the community, keep traffic flowing, respond during storm emergencies, patrol the neighborhoods...ahh I could go on for two more pages. Good thing the public appreciates the work we do. It really gives us a sense of pride knowing that we work overtime because our co-workers are laid-off and the taxpayers don't want to pay our salaries because we have a pension system that is insolvent because Christie Whitman decided she could stop paying into and pay us back later when the economy rebounded....whatever. CTM knows more about this stuff than I do.

Programmers get carpal tunnel and other RSI's

Umm..yeah. I was born with a tazer in my hand. I've never been a civilian. You got me there. BTW...I'm 39 yrs old and was sworn in in 2005. You do the math.

did you get a psychological exam before getting sworn in?

Have you ever been on a traffic stop in the middle of the night where the driver is an unknown threat? This woman is a distraction and distractions can be vary dangerous in such situations. Should there be a violent situation, the woman is in a danger zone besides. Beyond that...the "innocent" woman is so obviously trying to provoke a reaction that its rediculous no one else has mentioned it. It's a set-up from the beginning. The officer asks "can I help you?" I'm standing in my yard...its my right." is the answer. She's already begun the narrative. She never puts the camera down and ensures that all of her comments are leading and subtly provoking: officer: "you haven't backed up one foot" woman: "Oh, would you like me to back up one foot?" What she wants is a reaction and the officer foolishly plays right into her hands, reacting because she's pissng him off (which is unprofessional)...and giving her the video footage she wanted, which is why we're seeing this video and discussing it here. The viewing public is the dupe. Even the title is provoking but wildly inaccurate. The officer never asks her to stop recording, never raises his voice and doesn't confiscate the video. He's just trying to work and she's a hindrance to that. The arrest was frivolous. And his only mistake.

Per your own admission he was unprofessional in his conduct and made a mistake. Only thing being that mistake leading to an innocent citizen spending sometime in the can for standing on her front yard.

And yet through all of this he is just a victim of "baiting" by a woman who is "setting him up" and being a "distraction" from 10-15 feet away because she has a video camera while he is trying to do his job. Nice narrative. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Now there was an accompanying report for this incident from yesterday which happened in Rochester which stated that this poor victimized and baited officer also falsified two things in his report. I wonder what the defense is for that. (I cannot find the link to the article but someone with better Google skills than mine can look it up and post it). I wonder how you would justify that.

I am looking forward to your explanation of what happened here:

Right. All citizens should do exactly as the police says even when they are no doing any against the law. After all it worked for the USSR!

In light of this thread, Mrs crusher should hire the local PD to stop by and tell him what he's not allowed to eat anymoe

Right. All citizens should do exactly as the police says even when they are no doing any against the law. After all it worked for the USSR!

How about common courtesy and allowing the cop to do his job? Comparing this to communism only proves you start drinking before the weekend is truly here.

In light of this thread, Mrs crusher should hire the local PD to stop by and tell him what he's not allowed to eat anymoe

Telling people what to eat is way more serious and emotionally damaging then asking some wacko with a camera to go in the freaking house. I have actually shared fare with officers of the law before and the only comment they had is they though it was odd when I accidentally swallowed a waiter. Other than that typical.

Per your own admission he was unprofessional in his conduct and made a mistake. Only thing being that mistake leading to an innocent citizen spending sometime in the can for standing on her front yard.

And yet through all of this he is just a victim of "baiting" by a woman who is "setting him up" and being a "distraction" from 10-15 feet away because she has a video camera while he is trying to do his job. Nice narrative. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Now there was an accompanying report for this incident from yesterday which happened in Rochester which stated that this poor victimized and baited officer also falsified two things in his report. I wonder what the defense is for that. (I cannot find the link to the article but someone with better Google skills than mine can look it up and post it). I wonder how you would justify that.

Gee and their aren;t people that suck at every job? Give it a break. cops like doughnuts Crusher like doughnuts don;t see a problem unless theirs only one doughnut left. Then we have ruckus.

How about common courtesy and allowing the cop to do his job? Comparing this to communism only proves you start drinking before the weekend is truly here.

The woman did not break into a cheer between the criminal and the cop. She was in her own front yard recording some distance away. And she was not the only one at the scene. There were other people. Only difference being they were not recording.

The cop was unprofessional in reacting emotionally rather than following basic guidelines. I said it and I stand by it. I also responded to Slats question of whether I'd like this officer to represent the entire profession. I stated i would not. Slats had a good point and I responded agreeing that this was not handled properly. I never stated the cop was a "victim" of anything but being foolish enough to give the woman exactly what she was after. The woman set him up and he fell for it hook, line and sinker. So where is the disparity in our opinions? If he flasified his report...he's effed. Period. no getting out of a written and signed report that has obvious falsehood in it. Straight to IA. no question. As for the link, I'll get back to you, haven't clicked yet. But I can tell you I've been on record in this forum for denouncing an idiot Texas cop who tazed an old lady. total dipsh*t. This nonsense that all cops cover each other's asses is pure BS. I'd cover a good cop's rare mistake if it meant he'd be disciplined for doing something that might take him off the road and keep him from doing his job of protecting and serving the public. But an a$$hole cop would get the cold shoulder. I'll get back to your link in a minute when i have the chance to see what the deal is.

Okay watched the video. It tells me absolutely nothing. No audio. don't know if there was a verbal threat. Don't know if the cops were dicks. Don't know a damned thing. and neither do you. The news reporters apparently know everything. But have no investigation whatsover. Was the force excessive? don't know--the guy certainly grabbed a cop by the throat. Was he acting in self-defense? don't know. Was he violent? don't know. Don't know a damned thing about any of this other than that it was recorded on police video....that's right...POLICE VIDEO...from an officer monitoring the camera on the street. There are other "bad cop" videos. look'em up and I'll get back to you. This one is worthless.

The fact that the cop was decent enough to tell the woman to stop filming him while standing in her own yard, (as opposed to simply slipping handcuffs on her), does not mean that he is not completely out-of-bounds in requiring her to do so under threat of arrest. As I see it, the woman is well within her rights and the cop's arrest is entirely outrageous.

I really don't see how anybody who believes the laws apply to the police as well the general citizenry can feel otherwise.

The fact that the cop was decent enough to tell the woman to stop filming him while standing in her own yard, (as opposed to simply slipping handcuffs on her), does not mean that he is not completely out-of-bounds in requiring her to do so under threat of arrest. As I see it, the woman is well within her rights and the cop's arrest is entirely outrageous.

I really don't see how anybody who believes the laws apply to the police as well the general citizenry can feel otherwise.

A cop is only as good as the person he is dealing with. Maybe that cop had a little bit of the nervousness that night? Maybe the coffee he washed down that nights doughnut with had a little bit too much caffeine? Maybe it made him have to poop? Sometimes Starbucks coffee gives me the poops. What if he had the poops was just trying to arrest the guy in the car and go do a nice poopee? The lady with the camera was essentially poopee blocking him. People get cranky when they have to poop. She could have just listened to him, she could have went back in the house and he could have gone and pooped. I think theirs more to it.

A cop is only as good as the person he is dealing with. Maybe that cop had a little bit of the nervousness that night? Maybe the coffee he washed down that nights doughnut with had a little bit too much caffeine? Maybe it made him have to poop? Sometimes Starbucks coffee gives me the poops. What if he had the poops was just trying to arrest the guy in the car and go do a nice poopee? The lady with the camera was essentially poopee blocking him. People get cranky when they have to poop. She could have just listened to him, she could have went back in the house and he could have gone and pooped. I think theirs more to it.

Haha!

I suspect -regardless of the officer's motivation- that at the end of the day, he was subjected to some sort of internal discipline. And rightly so.

The woman may very well have goaded him into a confrontation, but the officer screwed up by taking the bait. If he sees a citizen's camera rolling, his #1 priority should be to make sure that he's following the letter of the law in whatever he's doing. If he was making a by the books arrest out in the street, that woman should not've been any concern to him.

Haha!

I suspect -regardless of the officer's motivation- that at the end of the day, he was subjected to some sort of internal discipline. And rightly so.

The woman may very well have goaded him into a confrontation, but the officer screwed up by taking the bait. If he sees a citizen's camera rolling, his #1 priority should be to make sure that he's following the letter of the law in whatever he's doing. If he was making a by the books arrest out in the street, that woman should not've been any concern to him.

All the guy wanted was for her to not stand behine him or go into the house. I felt he ask pretty nicely the first time. Agreed that he got suckered in and probably faced discipline. But I think the woman should be court mandated to go to charm school and just learn to be descent rather than a gigantic pain in the a$$.

All the guy wanted was for her to not stand behine him or go into the house. I felt he ask pretty nicely the first time. Agreed that he got suckered in and probably faced discipline. But I think the woman should be court mandated to go to charm school and just learn to be descent rather than a gigantic pain in the a$.

Like you said earlier, there must be something more to it. Why did the cop even care about this woman filming him? If he was doing his job by the letter of the law, it should not've been any concern to him at all.

I can tell you, too, that if I was standing on my property filming what was going on in the street in front of my house, I'd be inclined to tell the cop to piss off, too, if and when he told me to go inside. That woman may've sounded like a troublemaker, but she does have the right to stand in her yard and operate a video camera. I have no problem with a cop telling me to go inside for my protection - but even that I would register as a strong suggestion, and not an order. For an officer to tell me to get off of my own front yard and get in my house for his protection - when I'm clearly not doing anything threatening??? No, sorry, I'm enjoying standing here on my yard with my video camera tonight, and I think I'll continue to do exactly that. Thank you just the same, officer.

I'm not anti-police at all. I believe that a well financed, well trained police force is a necessary ingredient to the type of free society we purport to have here. But this particular cop screwed up.

I always say it: don't **** with the cops, the cops won't **** with you. If you're not willing to track rapists and drug dealers into the projects at 3 AM, then don't question their methods. If you get a nightstick to the cheek, you've earned it 98.9% of the time. Don't be an a$$hole and you have nothing to worry about.

I always say it: don't **** with the cops, the cops won't **** with you. If you're not willing to track rapists and drug dealers into the projects at 3 AM, then don't question their methods. If you get a nightstick to the cheek, you've earned it 98.9% of the time. Don't be an a$$hole and you have nothing to worry about.

So always obey the guy with the gun, regardless of what civil liberties they attempt to take away from you? With at least three other uniforms around, and plainly MANY other neighbors in their yards watching, Columbo here singles out the 5'2", 105 lb. chick with the video camera as the one he feels threatened by? Yeah, right.

So always obey the guy with the gun, regardless of what civil liberties they attempt to take away from you? With at least three other uniforms around, and plainly MANY other neighbors in their yards watching, Columbo here singles out the 5'2", 105 lb. chick with the video camera as the one he feels threatened by? Yeah, right.

She's antagonizing him. He reacted. Don't antagonize him, you have no issues. He over-reacted, sure, but she created the situation. Part of having civil liberties is sharing in civil responsibility, which includes not being a pain in the a$$ to law enforcement.

Telling people what to eat is way more serious and emotionally damaging then asking some wacko with a camera to go in the freaking house. I have actually shared fare with officers of the law before and the only comment they had is they though it was odd when I accidentally swallowed a waiter. Other than that typical.

Everyone has thier line, your's is the kitchen

The woman did not break into a cheer between the criminal and the cop. She was in her own front yard recording some distance away. And she was not the only one at the scene. There were other people. Only difference being they were not recording.

this

How about **** you I'll film what i like. That's the point, what she as doing was perfectly legal. He had no cause to tell her to stop filiming in the first place. If the cop doesn't want to be filmed by the public, he should find another profession.

A bit surprised by this reaction.

Cops get paid right? Very well usually. And nobody forces them into that job, in fact, it's often times the best possible job for someone who fits the model. I think that line of thinking is frightening, and am happy you were in a leadership role around the time of the american revolution

Upon further examination, it is possible that the cop was within his rights.

Although he told the woman earlier in the clip he did not like her filming him, he made clear that he was only going to arrest her if she did not go back into the house. He mentioned "failure to comply with a request", a term I have heard before but never fully understood.

A quick Google search yielded the "failure to comply with a request" for Mississippi in 1972, perhaps not known as a center of civil liberties at the time, but which might be similar to police procedure rules now. It seems the police have a right, in the performance of their duties, (in this case they were arresting someone), to tell others to back off and remove themselves to a place designated by the officer. I suppose that is not so much different from the way police put yellow tape around a crime scene they are investigating-they decide the limits of the taped in area.

(1) Whoever, with intent to provoke a breach of the peace, or under such circumstances as may lead to a breach of the peace, or which may cause or occasion a breach of the peace, fails or refuses to promptly comply with or obey a request, command, or order of a law enforcement officer, having the authority to then and there arrest any person for a violation of the law, to:

(a) Move or absent himself and any vehicle or object subject to his control from the immediate vicinity where the request, command or order is given, or

(B) Arise, if lying or sitting down, and move to a point designated by said officer outside the immediate area of, or which is affected by the occurrences at, the place of issuing such order, command, or request, or

© Refrain from lying down or sitting down at, or in the immediate vicinity of, the place where said order, request or command is given, or

http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/97/035/0007.htm

Depending on the interpretation of what is a reasonable area for the cop to require her to move to, he might have been within his rights. He told her he didn't like her filming, but only required her, under threat of arrest, to move herself inside her house. Theoretically, he left it open to her if she wanted to continue filming out a window while inside the house. And I would think the "failure to comply with a request" principle would supersede property rights. After all, what if the cops caught up with a fleeing knife-wielding criminal on somebody's front lawn-the owner wouldn't have the right to stand three feet away while they wrestled this guy to the ground, would they?

I think the cop is trying to stop her from filming, but the way he went about it might possibly be legal.

A bit surprised by this reaction.

Cops get paid right? Very well usually. And nobody forces them into that job, in fact, it's often times the best possible job for someone who fits the model. I think that line of thinking is frightening, and am happy you were in a leadership role around the time of the american revolution

I'm pretty liberal and fairly conscious of preserving our liberties, but I think police and military operate in an arena of constant threat of violence and, as such, deserve certain license to protect themselves. Now, that doesn't mean I condone extreme cases of abuse of power, but it means that if a cop asks you to cease doing something he perceives as a potential threat, you should probably do it and look at it as your way of assisting in the law enforcement effort in your community. Specific to the OP video, that cop clearly lost his sh*t. It's unfortunate. But I think most anyone in that particular circumstance would similarly have difficulty maintaing composure. I know I would. I get what you're implying about the type of person who goes on to become a cop--some of the biggest douches I grew up with went on to be cops. But, those douches are still the ones I'm praying show up if I'm ever getting jumped in an alley. The point is, their job is harder than your job, generally. Don't make it harder than it needs to be and you have no issues.

**** cops. I'm tired of them constantly abusing their power. Who the **** cares if a lady is filming them? It's called PROTECTION. IF you have evidence of somebody being abusive of their position, you can get them fired. Cops are afraid of this. They want to be above the law and everyone else. **** them. Do your damn job. The woman with the camera is NO THREAT. Filming a police officer does not put him in harms way at all. How stupid. Most cops used to be high school bullies. It's seriously the perfect profession for them, and is no surprise.

*awaits backlash*

Like you said earlier, there must be something more to it. Why did the cop even care about this woman filming him? If he was doing his job by the letter of the law, it should not've been any concern to him at all.

I can tell you, too, that if I was standing on my property filming what was going on in the street in front of my house, I'd be inclined to tell the cop to piss off, too, if and when he told me to go inside. That woman may've sounded like a troublemaker, but she does have the right to stand in her yard and operate a video camera. I have no problem with a cop telling me to go inside for my protection - but even that I would register as a strong suggestion, and not an order. For an officer to tell me to get off of my own front yard and get in my house for his protection - when I'm clearly not doing anything threatening??? No, sorry, I'm enjoying standing here on my yard with my video camera tonight, and I think I'll continue to do exactly that. Thank you just the same, officer.

I'm not anti-police at all. I believe that a well financed, well trained police force is a necessary ingredient to the type of free society we purport to have here. But this particular cop screwed up.

First of all she wanted a reaction from the cop. She wasn't just chilling and video taping the cops. She was trying to create ruckus to show her contempt for the officer. If it was you instead and you just let the cop know you just wanted to tape it and meant no threat I see no ruckus. She should have just told him she will back up so he doesn't feel threatened rather than holding her ground and acting antagonistic. The cop was WRONG but at the same time I believe she got the reaction she wanted. She will be the toast of her next "I hate teh police" luncheon at the community center.

I gotta be honest, I don't think the police officers were wrong. They were clearly handling an issue that required them to arrest the driver of the vehicle, obviously something that would require attention and heightened awareness and she's standing right behind them with a video camera with clear intention to be involved in the situation with her camera. They asked her nicely, explained WHY they were asking (a reasonable explanation and reason), and she acted like she couldn't understand what they were asking until he finally said she was under arrest. She could have video taped from inside her house. They never asked her to stop doing that. She wanted to be a part of thw story and quite frankly that's what she ended up getting. It's funny how she didn't understand what they were asking until she was under arrest, THEN she wanted to go inside.

Okay watched the video. It tells me absolutely nothing. No audio. don't know if there was a verbal threat. Don't know if the cops were dicks. Don't know a damned thing. and neither do you. The news reporters apparently know everything. But have no investigation whatsover. Was the force excessive? don't know--the guy certainly grabbed a cop by the throat. Was he acting in self-defense? don't know. Was he violent? don't know. Don't know a damned thing about any of this other than that it was recorded on police video....that's right...POLICE VIDEO...from an officer monitoring the camera on the street. There are other "bad cop" videos. look'em up and I'll get back to you. This one is worthless.

Maybe, just maybe is it possible that the news reporters did a little of investigating to see why the person was attacked before they reported the story on the news.

Was the force excessive ? That's where i stopped reading. If you have to question whether the force was excessive or not I can see where you stand. But you know if you showed the video to 1000 people 999 would agree the force was very excessive and the only person to disagree would be a cop or a relative of a cop.

Lets say a guy grabbed a cop by the throat, so you are saying it is ok for the cops to mercilessly start beating him ? If the citizen was out of line they should have arrested him and charged him under whatever law is applicable for attacking cops. Not ganged up on him and beaten him up like this.

Archived