Movies We've Seen Thread

On 11/17/2018 at 9:57 AM, munchmemory said:

You're a music guy so I'll ask:  Is the flick as hokey as all the rest of the rock movies?  Even the trailer with the Brian May character looking like he's wearing a bad wig has me cringing. My wife wants to go see it.  I'm hesitating because I saw Queen a bunch of times (first US tour in support of Mott was one) and don't want to sit through a crap fest  which will make them look goofy. 

Just saw it... it was good. I saw the 78 tour.  A bit hokey in small parts but well done. 

• Upvote 1

The family wanted to meet up for a movie this year on Thanksgiving and my sister picked the Harry Potter-themed Crimes Of Grindewald thing. It is a huge pile of garbage with zero appeal and worthless in every aspect. Possibly a top five worst movie I’ve ever seen.

Awesome. That’s what the wife has planned for tomorrow. And you pretty much confirmed what I am expecting.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, Lith said:

Awesome. That’s what the wife has planned for tomorrow. And you pretty much confirmed what I am expecting.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Prepare for two and half hours of worthless exposition setting up the next movie and Johnny Depp doing an over-the top impression of Sad David Bowie, culminating in a twenty minute “battle” where a bunch of Hollister models point sticks at each other and different colors of CGI-generated “fire” come out. It appears that they’re letting Rowling write these screenplays and it shows—awkward scene jumps, zero narrative flow, way too many characters entering and exiting and they all get their own backstory vignettes. And it’s all centered around Eddie Redmayne, whom I assume is supposed to be autistic(?), but plays the character like if Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock had a series of debilitating strokes. Enjoy!

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Prepare for two and half hours of worthless exposition setting up the next movie and Johnny Depp doing an over-the top impression of Sad David Bowie, culminating in a twenty minute “battle” where a bunch of Hollister models point sticks at each other and different colors of CGI-generated “fire” come out. It appears that they’re letting Rowling write these screenplays and it shows—awkward scene jumps, zero narrative flow, way too many characters entering and exiting and they all get their own backstory vignettes. And it’s all centered around Eddie Redmayne, whom I assume is supposed to be autistic(?), but plays the character like if Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock had a series of debilitating strokes. Enjoy!

Time for this douche to stop making movies.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:32 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

To be fair Tom hates everything he watches.

To be fairer, RJF loves everything he watches. 

Still trying to convince yourself that you liked The Last Jedi? 

LOL. Disney is pretending it never even happened and are hemorrhaging people out of Lucasfilm. Still. And not ONE video game or toy is on the shelves from that disaster.....

But I digress.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:27 PM, T0mShane said:

The family wanted to meet up for a movie this year on Thanksgiving and my sister picked the Harry Potter-themed Crimes Of Grindewald thing. It is a huge pile of garbage with zero appeal and worthless in every aspect. Possibly a top five worst movie I’ve ever seen.

Mediocre, yeah.

Top 5 bad?  Nah.   New Ghostbusters was worse.   New independence day was the worst thing I have seen. 

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Mediocre, yeah.

Top 5 bad?  Nah.   New Ghostbusters was worse.   New independence day was the worst thing I have seen. 

Worst movies I have ever seen (there are two tied for first).

1. How To Lose a Guy In Ten Days.

1b. I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell 

both on dates. Both chicks GHOSTED.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Wait, you didn’t get a thrill out of Morgan Freeman slipping a cellphone into a desk in the Hong Kong office building?

What?!

Oh faaaaack you...

The one where Tom Hardy seizes Gotham for an extended period of time for no apparent reason with no apparent objective in mind was my favorite one, but at least it led to that awesome rap parody video.

Had a pretty decent weekend for dvds so far 

Citizen Kane... First time ever. It's impossible to live up to the best movie ever title especially when I've known the ending for decades but I was slightly disappointed. It kept my attention which is hard for a film with no action, all dialog and plot.. I read Welles explanation of the ending after watching it and I'm glad I finally saw it but wasn't blown away 

Ant man and the wasp was OK. I have a huge crush on Evangeline Lilly so I just stared at her the whole movie. Loved the tartegrade bears. 

Babes in toyland. A tradition. I've seen it 30 times. Such amazing creepiness and surreal imagery and the ending is great 

Excalibur. On my top 5 movies list. Epic amazing movie bliss. From the Wagner to the battles it's everything you would want in a Arthurian movie. 

King Kong vs godzilla. Also in the top 5 list. A crucial part of my childhood. There are so many things that the new movie could make a nod to but won't because it's not cool but I hope they at least have UN reporters, tanks and helicopters 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

WAIT we’re you implying that they were dudes?!? I thought you were PC-shaming me!

When everyone was worried that you were dead and legitimately concerned, I assured all that you were probably fine and on some sort of vacation with penises in and around your mouth. Yes I'm implying they were dudes.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

When everyone was worried that you were dead and legitimately concerned, I assured all that you were probably fine and on some sort of vacation with penises in and around your mouth. Yes I'm implying they were dudes.

Sure, you deserve credit for accuracy but, in the interest of transparency, you should also admit that you were working with some privileged inside information.

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2018 at 10:56 AM, HighPitch said:

Hmmmmm.

well im a casual queen fan so i dont know the history in detail .......so that kind of stuff didnt annoy me. All these movies are a bit hokey but it was a really good flick. If the wife wants to see it youre stuck!

On 11/17/2018 at 12:23 PM, Lith said:

I saw it a couple of weeks ago.  It all depends on what you are looking for out of the movie -- looking for a nostalgic couple of hours that pays homage to one of the greatest frontmen and creative entertainment minds with a soundtrack of some great music of the 70s/80s, then just sit back and enjoy the show.

If you are looking for an accurate, factual telling of the story of Queen, then you probably should pass.  Some dramatic license is taken in the retelling of the story and some to the timelines are twisted for dramatic effect.  If that will bother you, then you should probably stay away.  The fictionalized parts of the story did not bother me.  I enjoyed the movie and would reccomend it.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:21 PM, southparkcpa said:

Just saw it... it was good. I saw the 78 tour.  A bit hokey in small parts but well done. 

Just back from seeing the flick.  Liked it much more than I thought.  Hated some of the goofiness and that songs/albums were out of order.  Overall, though, thought it was one of the better (least offensive) rock movies.  Rami Malek's performance/characterization is fantastic.

Thanks for your responses and insight.

• Upvote 2

We just saw Green Book last night.  

Excellent movie.  Probably one of the best of the year.  Viggo Mortenson should be an Academy Award nominee/winner here.  Just a great performance in a compelling, engaging film.  

For anyone who grew up in the 60's, it is a must see.  And for those of you who did not live through those times, it's a must see as well.

16 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Aquaman looks Green Lantern level cringe.

Don’t know why the hell DC turned Aquaman into some surfer dude-bro.

Jason Momoa sucks in everything he’s ever been in besides Game of Thrones, where he barely had 3 lines of dialogue.

And it looks like they spent 10x as much money on a f*cking Aquaman movie than they did Justice League lol.

51 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Don’t know why the hell DC turned Aquaman into some surfer dude-bro.

Jason Momoa sucks in everything he’s ever been in besides Game of Thrones, where he barely had 3 lines of dialogue.

And it looks like they spent 10x as much money on a f*cking Aquaman movie than they did Justice League lol.

He is a big physical presence, but isn't much of an actor.   DC just reacts.   "Last movies too dark, make this one too light and stupid"

But, Mamoa always gave us this.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

He is a big physical presence, but isn't much of an actor.   DC just reacts.   "Last movies too dark, make this one too light and stupid"

But, Mamoa always gave us this.

I have met him a few times as he pops up in BJJ gyms around LA. He's a pretty mellow dude. The way he explains it is that he doesn't really get much of an opportunity to expand beyond being the big physical-type guy roles because he has a very specific look to him and Hollywood tends to make more money with the aesthetic formulas. Even with that Netflix show they gave him they were essentially asking him to just play Khal Drogo in the American frontier. He originally thought Zack Snyder kept bringing him in to play one of the main villains for DC because of his looks and was completely caught off-guard with the casting; been hoping that giving the studio such a commitment would give him some leeway in getting to do some different stuff going forward.

Early reviews for Aquaman are actually really good.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/11/26/aquaman-reviews-early/

• Upvote 1

I'm excited for Aquaman but I'm a pretty big comic book fanboy.

I saw Widows last night. Kind of disappointed. With the quality of the talent involved (Steve McQueen, Gillian Flynn, great cast) and excellent reviews I was hoping for something special. It ended up being kind of clunky. It's a heist movie at its core but they stuff it with too much backstory and subplots that are never resolved and lots of waxing about the race and politics of Chicago that feel somewhat shoehorned in. Then the final 25 minutes fail to resolve half the conflicts and leave huge plot holes. Not a a bad movie and kept me fairly entertained. Well acted. Just not what it's hyped as.

44 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have met him a few times as he pops up in BJJ gyms around LA. He's a pretty mellow dude. The way he explains it is that he doesn't really get much of an opportunity to expand beyond being the big physical-type guy roles because he has a very specific look to him and Hollywood tends to make more money with the aesthetic formulas. Even with that Netflix show they gave him they were essentially asking him to just play Khal Drogo in the American frontier. He originally thought Zack Snyder kept bringing him in to play one of the main villains for DC because of his looks and was completely caught off-guard with the casting; been hoping that giving the studio such a commitment would give him some leeway in getting to do some different stuff going forward.

Friend of mine lives in London, he gets invited to a lot of early premiers.   He called it "great fun" which can mean a good movie or pleasing on the eyes. 

I hope it's good.  I like super hero movies, good popcorn stuff.   Marvel is usually entertaining, DC's last few have not been that good to me.  I hope aqua man is good, and I'm glad they cast someone who looks more like Mamoa than someone who has blonde hair and blue eyes.

35 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Friend of mine lives in London, he gets invited to a lot of early premiers.   He called it "great fun" which can mean a good movie or pleasing on the eyes. 

I hope it's good.  I like super hero movies, good popcorn stuff.   Marvel is usually entertaining, DC's last few have not been that good to me.  I hope aqua man is good, and I'm glad they cast someone who looks more like Mamoa than someone who has blonde hair and blue eyes.

I think DC tried going another way for a little bit and they realized that franchise flicks just don't work that way, at least not with comic properties. Marvel hit the formula pretty early on and it doesn't seem like there are any other methods to get families into the seats for movie after movie. Wonder Woman was a Marvel movie and it seems like Aquaman is too. Whatever. At least every now and then the studios put one out for adults craving something a little different like Logan or the upcoming Joker flick.

My guess is Aquaman is probably a fun time in the theater and then it falls off with rewatchability at home. I saw Creed II in a high class theater and the Aquaman trailer looked dope AF with all the theater effects going.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think DC tried going another way for a little bit and they realized that franchise flicks just don't work that way, at least not with comic properties. Marvel hit the formula pretty early on and it doesn't seem like there are any other methods to get families into the seats for movie after movie. Wonder Woman was a Marvel movie and it seems like Aquaman is too. Whatever. At least every now and then the studios put one out for adults craving something a little different like Logan or the upcoming Joker flick.

My guess is Aquaman is probably a fun time in the theater and then it falls off with rewatchability at home. I saw Creed II in a high class theater and the Aquaman trailer looked dope AF with all the theater effects going.

Marvel also spent a long time developing their little movie universe.

One story going around, is when RDJ and John Favreau were making Iron Man (the 1st one) was the dialogue was awful, and they literally just re-wrote it on the fly and saved it.   If that movie tanks, there is no MCU to speak of.   Also, when they hired Joss Whedon to do the 1st Avengers, the same thing, the script was crap.   He asked if he could re-write it, and they said fine, just leave in a Thor-Iron Man fight and a big battle at the end.

Now, there is talk that DC is getting James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) to direct the next Suicide Squad.

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I just can't feel sorry for him because of the way he looks....dude could have just about any piece of puss in the world if he wanted it.

So sorry you're "typecast" to the big, sexy, superhero type.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

So I was bored last night, turned on Netflix and found this little gem (be forewarned, it's a documentary) but the subject is fascinating:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145046/

German-American Dieter Dengler discusses his service as a U.S. naval pilot in the Viet Nam War. Dengler also revisits the sites of his capture and eventual escape from the hands of the Viet Cong, recreating many events for the camera.

Dieter Dengler (May 22, 1938 – February 7, 2001) was a German-born United States Navy aviator during the Vietnam War and later a private aircraft test pilot and commercial airline pilot. He was one of two survivors, the other being Phisit Intharathat, out of seven prisoners of war (POWs) who escaped from a Pathet Lao prison camp in Laos. He was rescued after 23 days on the run[1] following six months of torture and imprisonment and was the first captured U.S. airman to escape enemy captivity during the Vietnam war.[2][3]

I'm a Coens homer so take this with a grain of salt, but Buster Scruggs is great. Pretty wild exercise in film making while still very Coens at the same time.

Have to give a lot of credit to these guys, decades into this business and they still take risks. Hard to think of too many other filmmakers that put themselves out there, still after all these years, like the Coens do.