Movies We've Seen Thread

16 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

unbreakable is currently on syfy trying to pump up glass. such an underrated movie. way before its time. i hope glass is decent. i enjoyed split as well

I think there is a strong argument to be made for Unbreakable being the best superhero movie ever. Mainly because you didn't know it was a superhero movie the entire time. I'd personally have it in my top 3 or 4.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Glass is getting absolutely awful reviews.  Highly disappointing. 

McAvoy's performance was fantastic, especially when he went rapidfire going through the characters. Other than that, yeah, very disappointed. It's one of those instances where Shyamalan goes a little to out there.

Arctic takes a concept that the movies have shown us a ton of times before and gives us a fresh perspective on it through some insanely shot visuals. Not to mention that Mads Mikkelson proves that he's maybe the most underappreciated actor on the planet. I really loved it. Definitely worth seeing in the theater but I have a feeling this is one of those flicks that is going to gain a big following once it hits streaming.

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2019 at 3:30 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Glass is getting absolutely awful reviews.  Highly disappointing. 

I didn't walk out being blown away but wasn't terrible. I felt differently after i read some discussions on it and what the message was, which I thought was pretty clever. 

1 hour ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

fyre documentary on netflix is bonkers. cant believe that stuff actually went down. theres another one about the same festival on hulu that i will watch now after seeing the netflix one

They both play off each other well. The Netflix one, overall, is better because it's more structured and linear. I felt like the Hulu one was more supplemental about providing details, and also watching Billy squirm under the weight of some really simple questions is both disturbing and hilarious.

The guy behind the Netflix one is Chris Smith, the same guy who did Jim & Andy and Collapse. Gotta say that's one hell of a run for a documentary maker, I'd love to see him be given a full length series for some larger subjects. He's fantastic.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

They both play off each other well. The Netflix one, overall, is better because it's more structured and linear. I felt like the Hulu one was more supplemental about providing details, and also watching Billy squirm under the weight of some really simple questions is both disturbing and hilarious.

The guy behind the Netflix one is Chris Smith, the same guy who did Jim & Andy and Collapse. Gotta say that's one hell of a run for a documentary maker, I'd love to see him be given a full length series for some larger subjects. He's fantastic.

good to know. thanks. def gona watch the hulu one to see how delusional billy is

On 1/24/2019 at 8:39 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

fyre documentary on netflix is bonkers. cant believe that stuff actually went down. theres another one about the same festival on hulu that i will watch now after seeing the netflix one

It was really amazing. The part where many of the workers just left the island the day before the event because they knew how bad it was going to be was truly remarkable. 

Somebody quit their job and sold everything they had to go there and they got a fema tent and cheese sandwiches 

That Billy dude probably has millions in an offshore bank and will do his time and disappear 

Watched three flicks this weekend: 

Beautiful Boy: Was missing a spark.  Jack Dylan Grazer was good; Steve Carrell not so much.  6/10

Crazy Rich Asians:  Wife requested.  Thought I'd hate the movie but found it incredibly enjoyable.  Great, upbeat bounce to the flick as well as gorgeous art direction.  Constance Wu is adorable.  8/10

First Man:  Fantastic fro start to finish.  Beautifully directed and acted, especially Ryan Gosling as Neill Armstrong.  9/10

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Have to have to have to see this.

I saw Gallipoli in the theatre when I was 10 and was inconsolable at the end of the movie. WWI is the saddest war. Millions killed in periods as short as a week charging fixed positions over open ground, it was like the worst of D-Day.....but every day. For years and at an unimaginable scale.

This is a must see movie. I think the First World War gets about half of a page in elementary school textbooks nowadays.....

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I saw Gallipoli in the theatre when I was 10 and was inconsolable at the end of the movie. WWI is the saddest war. Millions killed in periods as short as a week charging fixed positions over open ground, it was like the worst of D-Day.....but every day. For years and at an unimaginable scale.

This is a must see movie. I think the First World War gets about half of a page in elementary school textbooks nowadays.....

It is amazing.   People don't even know who we fought, or why, or anything about it.

At the height of the war, life expectancy in the trenches was 6 weeks.   Just brutal, disease, as you said, charging through "no man's land", poison gas.   Truly horrific stuff.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, chirorob said:

It is amazing.   People don't even know who we fought, or why, or anything about it.

At the height of the war, life expectancy in the trenches was 6 weeks.   Just brutal, disease, as you said, charging through "no man's land", poison gas.   Truly horrific stuff.

My Grandfather was in the Navy during WW1, served in the North Atlantic on a Four Stacker Destroyer. His brother, my Great-Uncle Harry was in the trenches and at Second Battle of the Marne... crazy.

• Upvote 2

I just watched A Star Is Born. Lady Gaga should win an Oscar, and I enjoyed the first 80% of the movie, but they made every safe, chickensh*t narrative choice they could at the end when they should have had the guts to drop the hammer in a few spots. It went from a potential classic film to some Hallmark Channel tripe. Gay.

• Upvote 2

On 2/2/2019 at 9:46 PM, T0mShane said:

I just watched A Star Is Born. Lady Gaga should win an Oscar, and I enjoyed the first 80% of the movie, but they made every safe, chickensh*t narrative choice they could at the end when they should have had the guts to drop the hammer in a few spots. It went from a potential classic film to some Hallmark Channel tripe. Gay.

Sorry, no one could replace Babs!

• Upvote 1

Had the misfortune of watching Mother the other day.  Being generous, I thought it was a train wreck.

Reading reviews, folks are in three very distinct camps: Loved it, hated it, found it laughable.   I'm in the last two.  I went from wanting to scream at it's heavy handed attempt at allegory to laughing at the director's execution.  At one point, I turned to my wife and said that if I had Darren Aronofsky in front of me I'd punch him in the face. 

The one saving grace was enjoying Jennifer Lawrence walking around in a very sheer night shirt.  J-Law's performance was just mediocre, especially for her.  Most likely from trying to comprehend WTF Aronofsky was attempting to do. 

Bohemian Rhapsody - fun.  I didnt think it was best picture worthy or anything like that but an enjoyable movie about a great performer and band.

Sorry to Bother You - so weird and strange but I kind of liked it.  It's a twisted view on capitalism, diversity in the work place and just some out of left field bizarre strange sh*t.  

Here's a heads up:

Briefly, every year before the Oscars, limited theaters run the year's nominated shorts. There are about 5 of them and total length is about a full movie. There is one for live film and one for animation. Highly recommended by us Crimsons.  

It only lasts a few days and starts Friday. Alamo Drafthouse in Yonkers has them but as said, on a very limited basis.