Movies We've Seen Thread

Us is uber violent, suspenseful to the max, and its ending is top notch. It’s not as all-time a film as Get Out, but it doesn’t need to be. I really loved it. Peele knows how to take the little minutiae of a horror scene and bring it to the forefront. A bang on the door isn’t just a scary loud bang for him, it’s almost a physical part of the scene. Very cool to experience.

I also enjoyed the fact that Peele followed up an award winning film that was entirely about race with a movie that has nothing to do with race and is way too gory to get considered for award season, yet it still makes as much of a political statement. Taken together, both make two very different but connected critiques on privilege. Bravo. ??  

I left the theater liking it a lot, but as I have had time to digest it I find myself digging it more and more. I’m finding it hard to remember another horror movie that carried such a subtle plot also say so much.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

into the spiderverse was awesome. never thought in my mid 30s i would enjoy an animated super hero movie but that was better then most of the movies ive seen this year

It was fabulous.  Really, really good

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2019 at 10:58 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Us is uber violent, suspenseful to the max, and its ending is top notch. It’s not as all-time a film as Get Out, but it doesn’t need to be. I really loved it. Peele knows how to take the little minutiae of a horror scene and bring it to the forefront. A bang on the door isn’t just a scary loud bang for him, it’s almost a physical part of the scene. Very cool to experience.

I also enjoyed the fact that Peele followed up an award winning film that was entirely about race with a movie that has nothing to do with race and is way too gory to get considered for award season, yet it still makes as much of a political statement. Taken together, both make two very different but connected critiques on privilege. Bravo. ??  

I left the theater liking it a lot, but as I have had time to digest it I find myself digging it more and more. I’m finding it hard to remember another horror movie that carried such a subtle plot also say so much.

Glad to hear it.  Will have to check it out this weekend.

Saw a sneak peak of Shazam! this weekend and wow it was really good and enjoyable.  Definitely left wanting to see it again.  My 6 year old daughter who never has the attention span to sit quietly sat and watched intently. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:58 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

For the most part I agree with this.  I left the theater feeling that it was an OK film, but the more I thought about it I found myself liking it more.  I could have done without a few of the one liners.

2 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

For the most part I agree with this.  I left the theater feeling that it was an OK film, but the more I thought about it I found myself liking it more.  I could have done without a few of the one liners.

I think a lot of that stuff was part of Peele's giant middle finger to Hollywood. The plot of Us isn't about race but as I have had time to think about the movie and see some interviews with Peele, a larger goal of Us is to make a horror movie with some classic tropes where the black people don't die before the third act. Personally I think there's a brilliant sense of irony in using that. 

Think about it this way: Joss Whedon writes the way he does because he's Joss Whedon. But if you write a few scenes like Joss Whedon to make fun of Joss Whedon without the audience realizing it because it's supposed to be a serious horror flick, that's my kinda script.

33 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think a lot of that stuff was part of Peele's giant middle finger to Hollywood. The plot of Us isn't about race but as I have had time to think about the movie and see some interviews with Peele, a larger goal of Us is to make a horror movie with some classic tropes where the black people don't die before the third act. Personally I think there's a brilliant sense of irony in using that. 

Think about it this way: Joss Whedon writes the way he does because he's Joss Whedon. But if you write a few scenes like Joss Whedon to make fun of Joss Whedon without the audience realizing it because it's supposed to be a serious horror flick, that's my kinda script.

I appreciated it at first, there were a few more than necessary.

On 3/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

The dude who made Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 just put out a new one called Dragged Across Concrete and it is ******* AWESOME. Gloriously violent like his previous two but a crazy plot that completely goes off the rails. Not as much of a Grindhouse flick as Cell Block 99, which I was kind of hoping for, but man, what a story.

Just watched this one on demand after remembering you mentioning it. And man you are right. I loved it. Some people might not like the pacing but it didn’t feel like it dragged at all. 

That small story of the mom and baby in the middle just crazy. So much tension towards the end, I had no idea what was gonna happen next. Def worth checking out. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2018 at 3:57 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Also, I have a friend that worked on the new Spiderman flick, Enter the Spiderverse. Was kind enough to invite me to a screening. I think it's clearly the best Spidey movie ever done and legitimately might be the best animated superhero film ever. Go see it in the theater, it's trippy as hell. Completely appropriate for kids too.

Finally watched this last night. Very creative and I was drawn in from the start d/t to the stunning visuals and excellent story line. I'm just so curious how this would have looked in 3D and I'm partially kicking myself for not checking this out in theaters a few months ago. Either way I definitely recommend! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Anyone else nerd out this morning and buy tickets for Avengers Endgame?

Took me 6 hours. 

I got the alert at 8:00,had my phone in my shirt pocket, tapped the alert, was taken to the AMC app I downloaded just for this and godzilla. 

Picked opening night, Dolby cinema. 

Took a minute to load the seating chart. 

Picked 2 amazing seats. 

Got the error "sorry those seats are gone" 

Long story short didn't sniff tickets again until 2:00 and that's by using fandango 

AMC is still crashed 

Not too bad I have Saturday night Dolby cinema very good but not the best seats 

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

Took me 6 hours. 

I got the alert at 8:00,had my phone in my shirt pocket, tapped the alert, was taken to the AMC app I downloaded just for this and godzilla. 

Picked opening night, Dolby cinema. 

Took a minute to load the seating chart. 

Picked 2 amazing seats. 

Got the error "sorry those seats are gone" 

Long story short didn't sniff tickets again until 2:00 and that's by using fandango 

AMC is still crashed 

Not too bad I have Saturday night Dolby cinema very good but not the best seats 

Oh wow. I went through Fandango, right st 8 am, took 30 seconds. Of course I wasn’t trying to buy tickets in the NY area either so there’s that. 

31 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Oh wow. I went through Fandango, right st 8 am, took 30 seconds. Of course I wasn’t trying to buy tickets in the NY area either so there’s that. 

I'm outside my but it's a big multiplex that draws from 2 counties and I was set on Dolby cinema because of the recliners, I'm not sitting in crappy seats for over 3 hours 

I tried fandango after a while but the line was over an hour. 

Lesson learned for godzilla tho, I'm going to sign up for fandango vip and just open both when I get the alert 

Godzilla is going to be 1st show opening night best seats Dolby cinema 

Then the follow up viewing probably imax lol

• Upvote 1

Coworker who rides with me in the truck all day tried from 8 until finally getting tickets on Fandango around 1ish. I couldn't get through on the AMC app, so I just stopped at the theater, which is around the corner from me, and grabbed two tickets for Sunday morning in Dolby at 8 a.m. Will be tough to avoid spoilers, but ill manage somehow 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 9:25 PM, T0mShane said:

There’s a Woody Harrelson-Kevin Costner movie on NetFlix. They’re retired Texas Rangers tracking down Bonnie and Clyde. It’s bad, but it’s fun to watch Harrelson and Costner ham it up as two old, washed-up southerners. 

Just started it two nights ago. Will finish it this week. Loved the scene in the un store. “All of them.”

On 3/6/2019 at 4:16 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

The dude who made Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 just put out a new one called Dragged Across Concrete and it is ******* AWESOME. Gloriously violent like his previous two but a crazy plot that completely goes off the rails. Not as much of a Grindhouse flick as Cell Block 99, which I was kind of hoping for, but man, what a story.

Geezuz Bone Tomahawk. 

Still freaks me out.