Movies We've Seen Thread

6 hours ago, CTM said:

Saw End Game. Disney could imprint an Avengers logo on a giant pile of @The Crusher dung and sell it for a billion dollars, which isn't too far off from what they did here.

I will never understand how a country that is increasingly fixated on income inequality we collectively keep throwing 100's of millions of dollars into a tiny handful of pockets. 

Spend and spread those dollars on independent cinema

Doesn’t usually take me 3 hours and 5 minutes too poop either. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw "Rocketman" in a very nice new recliner/restaurant theater with the Mrs.

A bit different from "Bohemian Rhapsody" in this is more of a musical than a biography. Surprised it wasn't a Broadway musical first, and will be surprised if it is not made into one. If you enjoy Elton John's music and aren't expecting 2 hours of a by the book timeline description of his life, a good way to spend an evening.

Also word of warning for parents; be kind to your kids. Because if your kid becomes a musical superstar worthy of a film-length life story, said kid will not be kind to you in said movie if you were an a-hole. 

Be advised; lots of drug use and gay sex. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Clint Eastwood is a great director, has done some incredible work and rarely throws up a dud but The 15:17 to Paris was not one of his better efforts. 

True story about 3 friends (2 military) who squelch what could have been a really bad terrorist attack on a train bound for Paris, truly an heroic act. 

But he used the actual guys who aren’t actors and it just fell flat. Basically an hour 15 minute back story of them becoming friends then backpacking through Europe and 10 minutes of the attack. 

Not very good. 

6 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Clint Eastwood is a great director, has done some incredible work and rarely throws up a dud but The 15:17 to Paris was not one of his better efforts. 

True story about 3 friends (2 military) who squelch what could have been a really bad terrorist attack on a train bound for Paris, truly an heroic act. 

But he used the actual guys who aren’t actors and it just fell flat. Basically an hour 15 minute back story of them becoming friends then backpacking through Europe and 10 minutes of the attack. 

Not very good. 

The Mule was also pretty dull.

• Upvote 1

Bohemian Rhapsody was a fine, superficial glossing of the Queen story that could have been made about literally any band. You simply can’t allow living band members involved with these projects because they spike all the good, troubling parts of the history. It’d be like letting Slash and Duff McKagan “consult” on the GnR biopic while knowing they’re just going to protect the brand. Malek winning an Oscar says a lot more about how much people miss Freddy Mercury than it does about Malek’s performance. The guy who played Mercury in that ID channel documentary on Queen was significantly better. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Bohemian Rhapsody was a fine, superficial glossing of the Queen story that could have been made about literally any band. You simply can’t allow living band members involved with these projects because they spike all the good, troubling parts of the history. It’d be like letting Slash and Duff McKagan “consult” on the GnR biopic while knowing they’re just going to protect the brand. Malek winning an Oscar says a lot more about how much people miss Freddy Mercury than it does about Malek’s performance. The guy who played Mercury in that ID channel documentary on Queen was significantly better. 

that movie was trash. rock star starring marky mark and annisten is a better film 

On 7/17/2019 at 6:41 AM, T0mShane said:

Well said.  Like my favorite part of the movie to illustrate just that sentiment, is when the flamboyant gay party animal slacker, couldnt show up to the studio on time and the band loses patience and suddenly the brains of the group creates one of the most iconic songs in music history by slapping a beat on their thighs with no help from the lead singer.  

Or like how they showed no issues of him getting intimate with a female but the one time it almost happened with a male...Oh no!  Let's not show that. lol

• Sympathy 1

Just saw Bohemian Rhapsody.

You guys are f*cking crazy.

Not the best rock movie of all time but damn fine good, entertaining and that bug eyed guy deserved the Oscar. 

Was never a huge Queen fan but I think they did a good job telling the surface story. I hear they are going to do another one where the go more in depth. 

I liked it. I think @T0mShane is just a homophobe.  And a safetyphobe. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2019 at 10:07 PM, The Crimson King said:

Interesting question about the best rock movies ever made

My vote is Eddie & The Cruisers II. Closest thing to the real experience of trying to get it all together. 

"Rock and Roll High School". Starring "The Ramones"

• Sympathy 1

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:29 PM, Peace Frog said:

Just saw Bohemian Rhapsody.

You guys are f*cking crazy.

Not the best rock movie of all time but damn fine good, entertaining and that bug eyed guy deserved the Oscar. 

Was never a huge Queen fan but I think they did a good job telling the surface story. I hear they are going to do another one where the go more in depth. 

I liked it. I think @T0mShane is just a homophobe.  And a safetyphobe. 

I am one awkward weekend away from being a high-ranking gay and Bohemian Rhapsody was trash. 

On 7/24/2019 at 11:07 PM, The Crimson King said:

Interesting question about the best rock movies ever made

My vote is Eddie & The Cruisers II. Closest thing to the real experience of trying to get it all together. 

I'd have to go with "Almost Famous".  So much of that movie was so well done, right down the the soundtrack which was originals designed to sound like they were written in that decade, which was impressively successful.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'd have to go with "Almost Famous".  So much of that movie was so well done, right down the the soundtrack which was originals designed to sound like they were written in that decade, which was impressively successful.

Was going to say Almost Famous. 

Great movie. The plane scene was LOLworthy. 

“I’m gay!” 

Whut?!?

• Upvote 1

BTW, I saw "Yesterday", well....yesterday.  I get there were some overall disappointments, but I thought it was a fun movie overall.  And there was one moment that chilled me to the bone (no spoilers but if you saw it, you know).  That was worth every moment and dollar of the experience for me.