Movies We've Seen Thread

On 1/18/2020 at 10:43 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Saw 1917 today. Still decompressing. Taking my Dad to see it  even though I know he'll cry. Revenge for taking me to see Gallipoli when I was 10.

In all seriousness,  literally a perfect movie. 

I really liked Dunkirk a few years ago. Gibson is great in Gallipoli btw.

• Upvote 1

I finally sat down with Ford v Ferrari. Two thoughts: First, it's the most suburban white dad movie since Apollo 13. Second, there are some rumors that Mangold is in talks to take over Indiana Jones, and between Logan and FvF he's probably the perfect guy for it.

I was a big fan of the Beebe character by the way. Why not stop pretending and just cast Johnny Lawrence if that's the way we're going to portray people.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I finally sat down with Ford v Ferrari. Two thoughts: First, it's the most suburban white dad movie since Apollo 13. Second, there are some rumors that Mangold is in talks to take over Indiana Jones, and between Logan and FvF he's probably the perfect guy for it.

I was a big fan of the Beebe character by the way. Why not stop pretending and just cast Johnny Lawrence if that's the way we're going to portray people.

I love Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the Indiana Jones character, but the rest of the movies were....meh. Last Crusade is just OK, Doom is crazy, and Nuke the Fridge was trash.

Indy needs to be young, he needs to fight Nazis, and he needs to casually murder people in order to get those artifacts to the museum, where they belong. 

Reboot it. 80 year old Ford is depressing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, JoeC36 said:

Saw Uncut Gems the other day. I absolutely loved it, but can see why Sandler didn't get an Oscar nom. He was good, but I felt like I was just watching Adam Sandler in a suit the whole time as opposed to Adam Sandler in gym shorts. 

My family and I watched this last night.  What a fantastic flick.  And what a gut punch at the end.

But before streaming the movie, I mentioned that "someone on JN" thought Sandler was just being Sandler in a suit rather than gym shorts.  Dude, how in all that is holy do come away from that flick with this belief?  I thought he was a mile away from any of his roles outside of Anger Management.  

I'm not a fan of the majority of Sandler's work.  But he was absolutely incredible in Uncut Gems.  Stunning work. He's in every scene and keeps up the manic energy like a seasoned pro.  I still think Joaquin Phoenix deserved the Oscar.  But wow did Sandler get snubbed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

My family and I watched this last night.  What a fantastic flick.  And what a gut punch at the end.

But before streaming the movie, I mentioned that "someone on JN" thought Sandler was just being Sandler in a suit rather than gym shorts.  Dude, how in all that is holy do come away from that flick with this belief?  I thought he was a mile away from any of his roles outside of Anger Management.  

I'm not a fan of the majority of Sandler's work.  But he was absolutely incredible in Uncut Gems.  Stunning work. He's in every scene and keeps up the manic energy like a seasoned pro.  I still think Joaquin Phoenix deserved the Oscar.  But wow did Sandler get snubbed.

Maybe it's his voice, the way he yells at some points, his mannerisms idk, but I grabbed it on Blu ray the other day and still felt the same way. He was awesome and so was the movie, but I felt like I was just watching Adam Sander not Howard Ratner 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JoeC36 said:

Maybe it's his voice, the way he yells at some points, his mannerisms idk, but I grabbed it on Blu ray the other day and still felt the same way. He was awesome and so was the movie, but I felt like I was just watching Adam Sander not Howard Ratner 

Maybe you've seen more Sandler flicks than me.  As I said, I've not been a major fan of his.  And tell me you didn't do a WTF is Mike Francesa doing here?  My family all said it at the same time. lol

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Maybe you've seen more Sandler flicks than me.  As I said, I've not been a major fan of his.  And tell me you didn't do a WTF is Mike Francesa doing here?  My family all said it at the same time. lol

Ive seen all Sandler's stuff and probably own 90 percent of it. It was the only reason I went and saw it to begin with (I haven't in the past gone to see many movies that people think should garner any awards recognition. EDIT: I did a tally, since 2010 ive only seen 17 of the 80-plus movies nominated for best picture and all of outside of Black Panther and Joker, I saw well after they came out on DVD ). 

As far as francesa, he talked about at length before his second retirement so I knew it would be coming, just not when in the movie, BUT my wife would is not a sports fan at all said "Isn't he that sports guy you listen to on the radio? I knew I recognized the voice"

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JoeC36 said:

Adam Sandler is a fraud. A talentless fraud, who seems like a nice enough guy irl. But seriously.  Anyone that watches his movies on purpose is a ******* idiot.  

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Adam Sandler is a fraud. A talentless fraud, who seems like a nice enough guy irl. But seriously.  Anyone that watches his movies on purpose is a ******* idiot.  

He’s worth zillions. Insane. But he’s a really cool dude. My friend who made it big in the industry knows him well and speaks highly of his character. Sandler is a Bronx kid who just made it Big big big time. 

49 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Wash out your filthy mouth. 

No interest in Parasite or ANYTHING with Sandler in it. 

lol  I went in wanting to love it.  I'm an old school war movie nut.  I thought the look of the film (cinematography) was incredible.  To the level of David Lean's guy, Freddie Young.  But for some reason, the movie did not capture my interest as I thought it would.  I know, I'm a heathen.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regrettably, I couldn’t get into 1917. I thought the writing was bad and over-stuffed with exposition which choked the story. Did we need to be reminded every five minutes that the lead WAS IN A GREAT HURRY I HAVE TO GET THIS LETTER TO BLAHBLAHBLAH. Maybe they felt the need to remind us of the mission because the lead(s) kept stopping for lame vignettes reinforcing what good chap/s they are? We get it, Nigel. Ultimately, though, the lead actor was wooden and you never, for a second, felt like he was in any danger and you didn’t really care if he was. 

On 3/15/2020 at 5:59 PM, Wonderboy said:

He’s worth zillions. Insane. But he’s a really cool dude. My friend who made it big in the industry knows him well and speaks highly of his character. Sandler is a Bronx kid who just made it Big big big time. 

I thought he grew up in New Hampshire?

On 3/30/2020 at 12:19 AM, Rangers9 said:

So tonight Turner Classic Movies has on Pride of the Yankees. Did you know that Babe Ruth played himself in this film. And he could act unlike many athletes he was good. 

Haven't seen that in like 40 years  

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I was telling you jagaloons about this glory of this movie eons ago. Ungrateful bitches every one of you.

The five minute scene with the vodka bottle and tighty whities should be shown in every acting class around the world.

I watched the second half of Moneyball the other day on Starz Encore which my cable provider tossed in to my package the other day. I was channel surfing and couldn’t resist watching it. There was that great scene when Brad Pitt and the chubby guy make a series of trades on the phone it’s kind of non stop cool I don’t know if Billy Beane operates like that I’m sure they took some dramatic license but it was a great scene good acting. A good movie but the book was even better the best baseball book I ever read. 

My wife requested Greta Gerwig's Little Women last night starring Saoirse Ronan (who I love as an actress).  Overall, I enjoyed the movie, 7/10.  Just did not click with Gerwig's cutting back and forth from present to past.  I did not get fully engaged in the flick until the final third.  

Also watched the Indie film Never Rarely Sometimes Always the other day which is getting a bunch of buzz.  Nice performances by both the lead actresses.  But the story had a ton of holes in it, leaving me at least with many questions about the lead character and her situation.  5-6/10.

My son had never seen Raging Bull, so streamed it the other night.  What a tremendous movie and effort by DiNiro and Scorsese.  Still holds up so.  The amount of tension DiNiro's LaMata creates is staggering.  And Scorsese gives an absolute clinic on shot blocking, tracking shots and lighting throughout the entire film.  Also forgot how beautiful Cathy Moriarty was in the movie.

• Upvote 1

Just watched Unorthodox, the miniseries on Netflix. Incredibly well done and moving. Based on a true story about a woman who flees the Orthodox Jewish world in Williamsburg. 

The lead actress is absolutely incredible. 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, PS17 said:

Just watched Unorthodox, the miniseries on Netflix. Incredibly well done and moving. Based on a true story about a woman who flees the Orthodox Jewish world in Williamsburg. 

The lead actress is absolutely incredible. 

Watched the entire four part series last Friday.  Agree that it's well done and Shira Haas is phenomenal in the lead role.  Anyone with a dry eyes during her song is not human.