Movies We've Seen Thread

On 6/4/2020 at 9:04 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Here is why I have a lot of hope for the Snyder cut of Justice League:

300 is awesome. And still awesome. 

Director's Cut of Watchmen is awesome and has aged incredibly well. 

Ultimate Edition of BvS is awesome. I'm sorry but it is. 

Full disclosure I'm also a huge Man of Steel fan, but IMO when Snyder gets to just release the actual ******* movie he was trying to make, he actually puts out some great stuff.

It will be better than what we got. But it couldn't be worse.

I'd agree with you on Snyder though. I actually loved the darker universe. A refreshing change from Marvel's goofiness. Man Of Steel is fantastic.

I also couldn't get over how much better than extended cut of BvS was. There's so much good movie in that movie. The ending was still a mess though and doing Death of Superman was just unbelievably stupid at that point - It didn't land emotionally as everyone knew he's coming back. The whole Doomsday fight felt very forced into the film and ruined it IMO.

The problem is the Snyder Cut is still more of a setup to the main stuff and we know going in a lot of what will happen. I do look forward to it. It's just a damn shame we'll never get as far as this:

Darkseid could have made Thanos look like nothing if this was done right.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I just watched Edge of Darkness on TCM a 1943 movie about Nazi occupation of a  Norwegian town and the resistance of locals average people after they received a weapons shipment from the British. It starred Errol Flynn and Ann Sheridan with Walter Huston as her physician dad. It kind of reminded me of Red Dawn a movie I previously posted about also about average folk fighting against a terrible occupier. I guess I like these type of movies. The surprising thing was that in the same year 1943 another film about the Nazis occupying a Norwegian town The Moon Is Down based on the Steinbeck novel also opened up and was released in theaters.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Ann Sheridan

I just watched Edge of Darkness on TCM a 1943 movie about Nazi occupation of a  Norwegian town and the resistance of locals average people after they received a weapons shipment from the British. It starred Errol Flynn and Ann Sheridan with Walter Huston as her physician dad. It kind of reminded me of Red Dawn a movie I previously posted about also about average folk fighting against a terrible occupier. I guess I like these type of movies. The surprising thing was that in the same year 1943 another film about the Nazis occupying a Norwegian town The Moon Is Down based on the Steinbeck novel also opened up and was released in theaters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I watched A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD the Tom Hanks movie about Mr. Rogers and his relationship with a journalist which was based on a true story. They formed a relationship while he was doing an Esquire profile on Rogers and it helped change his life they became friends and he found out that Rogers was the real deal not just a TV personality saying one thing and doing another. The real life author (different name than in the movie) said the basics of the story were changed (he did not have a long term hate affair with his father who in real life did not leave the mother when she was dying---they wrote that into the movie and it was very effective)-but not the basics of Rogers and their friendship. Tom Hanks was good but I thought the best acting in the movie was Matthew Rhys who played the reporter. I looked up his bio and might have seen him several years ago Off Broadway in the Roundabout Theatre's production of LOOK BACK IN ANGER. I think we went to it. It was in 2012. I liked the movie a lot and would definitely recommend even though I'm not a big Mr. Rogers (his tv show) fan. I've never thought TV was the perfect medium to communicate with children. So if you have STARZ you can see it ON DEMAND. I'll also in this time of negativity in the world (my wife said she wanted to see something positive) recommend the documentary from a few years ago about Mr. Rogers, WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR. There was great footage esp when Rogers testified to Congress who was threatening to cut the funds of public television and he appeared before Peter Rodino's committee. Rodino was a tough cat, rude and he was in charge. He didn't change his behavior to Rogers who then gave him his spiel.  About children and their feelings and what he was trying to accomplish. At the end of the hearing he had Rodino in tears ("this is wonderful') and he got the money. That was a true scene and a great scene. I think in the documentary Tom Junod the true life Esquire author was mentioned maybe he was interviewed. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/14/2020 at 12:45 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

IF BY WORST MOVIE EVER MADE YOU MEAN THE GREATEST THING MANKIND HAS EVER PRODUCED

***disclaimer, copious amounts of marijuana are necessary to enjoy it***

After working in the Airline biz for 34.5 years Covid 19 has sent me to an early retirement which means I am allowed to smoke again. 1st movie watched stoned — “Dr. Strange” needless to say I enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2020 at 3:04 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Here is why I have a lot of hope for the Snyder cut of Justice League:

300 is awesome. And still awesome. 

Director's Cut of Watchmen is awesome and has aged incredibly well. 

Ultimate Edition of BvS is awesome. I'm sorry but it is. 

Full disclosure I'm also a huge Man of Steel fan, but IMO when Snyder gets to just release the actual ******* movie he was trying to make, he actually puts out some great stuff.

When I got the copy of Ultimate Edition of BvS, I was only going to watch part of it to compare.  Ended up watching it all through and killing a whole Sunday afternoon.  God it was good.

I can't figure out why studios hire these good directors then completely shred their work at the end.

• Upvote 1

Watched the thriller Midsommar yesterday.  A flick which could have used a bit of editing, but a very interesting (and disturbing) look at a unique Swedish cult and their upcoming festival.   Well acted, especially Florence Pugh, and beautifully shot.  Definitely worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed Doctor Sleep, but it tried to tread this line between what King wanted in the original film and what Kubrick did. I really wish they would have committed to the latter, but King is such a hard-on he would have never allowed it. What makes the original movie so brilliant is it’s complete decontextualization of the book. The lack of explaining all of the unknown adds so much to the terror. They could have shot Doctor Sleep the exact same way, same cast, same story boards, but just kept to that style and it would have felt like a proper continuation. Every little plot device gets explained and it makes it feel disconnected.

Some of the CG, I dunno. It just felt so out of place too. The acting was incredible though, and I really enjoyed the last 40 min of going back to The Overlook. Can’t say I agreed with the criticism that it’s too long either as I enjoyed being back in that world (and I don’t think the book was doable in under 2 hours anyways), but I’m also a Shining junkie so maybe I’m just biased on that matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/10/2020 at 12:34 AM, Rangers9 said:

as I was reading this I was thinking "sounds just like C. Thomas Howell's Emmy worthy performance in Red Dawn!"

On 7/3/2020 at 12:54 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I enjoyed Doctor Sleep, but it tried to tread this line between what King wanted in the original film and what Kubrick did. I really wish they would have committed to the latter, but King is such a hard-on he would have never allowed it. What makes the original movie so brilliant is it’s complete decontextualization of the book. The lack of explaining all of the unknown adds so much to the terror. They could have shot Doctor Sleep the exact same way, same cast, same story boards, but just kept to that style and it would have felt like a proper continuation. Every little plot device gets explained and it makes it feel disconnected.

Some of the CG, I dunno. It just felt so out of place too. The acting was incredible though, and I really enjoyed the last 40 min of going back to The Overlook. Can’t say I agreed with the criticism that it’s too long either as I enjoyed being back in that world (and I don’t think the book was doable in under 2 hours anyways), but I’m also a Shining junkie so maybe I’m just biased on that matter.

The Shining was one of the saddest and most depressing books I have ever read. I'm glad the movie differed so much from the original story. 

For anyone that didn't read it, it's essentially about a family being destroyed by alcoholism. The supernatural stuff was just decoration. 

13 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Shining was one of the saddest and most depressing books I have ever read. I'm glad the movie differed so much from the original story. 

For anyone that didn't read it, it's essentially about a family being destroyed by alcoholism. The supernatural stuff was just decoration. 

Kubrick's movie is largely about the same thing, he just leaves it up to you to figure it out. That's why King hated it.

I always interpreted Jack's biggest book-to-movie difference to be his sanity, not his alcoholism. In the book it's a slow descent and the hotel possesses him, but Kubrick seems to imply that him trying to murder his family was always an inevitability. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Watched both.  It's cool to know that such wonderful people do exist in this world.  Especially right now.  The world could use Mr. Rodgers.

Same. I've loved Mr Rodgers for a long time - have seen all of his documentaries and all of his public addresses on youtube. Just a saint of a man. We could really use one of those in a powerful position today.

The movie itself was good, but not what I was hoping for. 

Finally got around to The Color out of Space. I had been wanting to sit down with it for months as I am a huge Lovecraft fan, (which is hard to reconcile in the current socio-political climate, but I can't help it, because he really is the GOAT), and last night gave me a few hours. 

Amazing to see Richard Stanley back to form and in hindsight it's hard to think of a director that could nail down Lovecraft this well. The whole film feels like something straight off the pages of a Lovecraft story from start to finish. I think to the unread eye, someone will watch it and think this movie is The Thing meets The Shining, and in some respects they would be evaluating things correctly, but it's actually the reverse. The Thing is a Lovecraft story in some other form, and Kubrick took so much from the ways of inducing terror in horror and suspense stories that Lovecraft pioneered. 

The campiness of Nicolas Cage brings it all together as well. It's crazy to say because he's become such a meme of himself, but he has a nice little horror streak going between Mandy and Color out of Space, and I think a lot of that is because he's all about being meta at this point. I don't think anyone else could have pulled off going off the deep end like Cage does at the climax.

Anyways, A+ horror movie. I have loved Color Out of Space for a long time and I knew everything that was coming, and I was still absolutely terrified throughout the second and third acts. Supposedly Stanley is aiming for a trilogy of Lovecraft films out of this and I realize that with Lovecraft's past that is hard to justify right now, but man I really do hope it happens and any royalties to Lovecraft's estate go elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

We watched Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. Everything about this movie smacks nostalgia and the 1960’s including the title. It’s about a second rate TV western actor kind of on the way down. We watched in two sittings because pretty long well over 2 hours. I felt the first half of the film was slow moving kind of bogged down in showing movies within a movie. The most talked about scene was the Bruce Lee segment when they showed Lee as a smart ass know it all who really couldn’t fight when Brad Pitt as a stuntman kicked his ass in a bizarre confrontation. Kind of the exact opposite of the recent portrayal of Lee on 30 for 30. I read that Tarantino claimed he researched it read a book about Lee and knew people that knew him. My favorite scene in the first half was Sharon Tate going into a movie theater to watch a movie she had a part in and getting off on it esp a scene where she beat up Nancy Kwan. I also like the scene with the little girl actress on the set of a western with the Decaprio character giving him her philosophy on acting even though only 8 years old. Later in the movie a totally weird scene with Brad Pitt meeting the Manson followers at an old abandoned movie set where they were living. And the end of course which was totally unexpected. Overall in many ways it was kind of brilliant. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We watched Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. Everything about this movie smacks nostalgia and the 1960’s including the title. It’s about a second rate TV western actor kind of on the way down. We watched in two sittings because pretty long well over 2 hours. I felt the first half of the film was slow moving kind of bogged down in showing movies within a movie. The most talked about scene was the Bruce Lee segment when they showed Lee as a smart ass know it all who really couldn’t fight when Brad Pitt as a stuntman kicked his ass in a bizarre confrontation. Kind of the exact opposite of the recent portrayal of Lee on 30 for 30. I read that Tarantino claimed he researched it read a book about Lee and knew people that knew him. My favorite scene in the first half was Sharon Tate going into a movie theater to watch a movie she had a part in and getting off on it esp a scene where she beat up Nancy Kwan. I also like the scene with the little girl actress on the set of a western with the Decaprio character giving him her philosophy on acting even though only 8 years old. Later in the movie a totally weird scene with Brad Pitt meeting the Manson followers at an old abandoned movie set where they were living. And the end of course which was totally unexpected. Overall in many ways it was kind of brilliant. 

The history change caught me off guard.  If only....   Of course I should have expected it since I did see what Tarantino did to Hitler in Inglorius Basterds.  Good movie...  Tarantino can do better.

22 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The whole movie is just a setup for one scene/joke.  Loved it.

I said in some ways it was brilliant which is kind of an overstatement. But if you look at the whole picture incl. visuals, if you like nostalgia, the entire package as a total there was some greatness in this movie. One of my favorite lines was by one of the Manson girls. When they were getting ready to kill. She reminded her cohorts that they were all brought up on television. As a matter of fact watching TV at the ranch was one of their major past times. So to her killing people who were actors on TV made sense to her because their characters taught them it was OK to kill. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I was getting ready to go to sleep the other night, flipped the dials and just happened to get THE TERMINATOR from the start on Showtime. So I started watching it with no plan to see the whole movie but I did. I don't remember ever seeing that movie in total before. Recently I watched parts of Terminator 2. So my question is which of those movies do you like better 1 or 2. 1 before he's born and 2 when he's a teen. Many people think the special effects of 2 is superior. I just liked it better. SyFy channel has a posted debate on it here it is. https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/debate-club-which-is-better-the-terminator-or-terminator-2-judgment-day. They also chose Terminator 2. I just thought it is the better movie. 

56 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So I was getting ready to go to sleep the other night, flipped the dials and just happened to get THE TERMINATOR from the start on Showtime. So I started watching it with no plan to see the whole movie but I did. I don't remember ever seeing that movie in total before. Recently I watched parts of Terminator 2. So my question is which of those movies do you like better 1 or 2. 1 before he's born and 2 when he's a teen. Many people think the special effects of 2 is superior. I just liked it better. SyFy channel has a posted debate on it here it is. https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/debate-club-which-is-better-the-terminator-or-terminator-2-judgment-day. They also chose Terminator 2. I just thought it is the better movie. 

I like the story arc of Sarah Conner in the second flick, which makes the movie for me.  Just a total bad ass.  I still think the first one is more visionary and impressive.

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

both are great. i own both.  i give T2 a slight edge prob due to the liquid dude.  imo the franchise ended after the second movie.

13 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

I work Midnights and usually go home, work out, then watch TV in bed before passing out. This week, I've been watching Escape from New York for the millionth time. Never gets old. 

Kurt Russell as Snake Pliskin is dead on perfect.  You're right; it never gets old.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1