Movies We've Seen Thread

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Within the context of what Ken and Harry are discussing, that discourse is hysterical.  We all had true LOL moments throughout the flick.  Yet plenty of shocking times, too.  

Like you, we're all fans of dark humor, so appreciated McDonagh's ability to skillfully navigate through it in the film.  As a character actor, Gleeson is a movie treasure.  He's great in everything.  And I'd put Colin Farrell's performance in In Bruges as some of his finest work ever.

Bruges really does look like a beautiful/historic city with lots of places and things to explore.  Awesome that you actually toured it.  

McDonagh was nominated for best Original Screenplay--he really is a gifted writer.  His plays are similarly darkly hilarious--The Lieutenant of Inishmore is lol.  He did 7 Psychopaths and won for Three Billboards (but I think In Bruges was much better than both of them).  

His brother John also writes and directs--if you like Gleeson (and we love him) he was in two good ones--Calvary and the stupid funny The Guard.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

McDonagh was nominated for best Original Screenplay--he really is a gifted writer.  His plays are similarly darkly hilarious--The Lieutenant of Inishmore is lol.  He did 7 Psychopaths and won for Three Billboards (but I think In Bruges was much better than both of them).  

His brother John also writes and directs--if you like Gleeson (and we love him) he was in two good ones--Calvary and the stupid funny The Guard.  

We all LOVED three billboards.  What a great/complex story.  I think Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are the best American actors today by a mile.  

Started 7 Psychopaths a while back, but could not get through it.  After watching In Bruges, family said we need to revisit the film.

I don't know why I let it happen, but watched the new Melissa McCarthy thing in Netflix with the wife last weekend (Thunder Force). Same silly humor as all her other stuff, but Jason Bateman absolutely stole the movie. There's 2 or 3 scenes he had that had me dying. Just fast forward to those.

10 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I don't know why I let it happen, but watched the new Melissa McCarthy thing in Netflix with the wife last weekend (Thunder Force). Same silly humor as all her other stuff, but Jason Bateman absolutely stole the movie. There's 2 or 3 scenes he had that had me dying. Just fast forward to those.

I gotta say, we’ve actually loved some of her recent movies-they kill me- but we couldn’t get through it. 

Typically her sidekick plays off on her really well. This one, not so much. 

And we like stupid movies. Spy. The Heat. Bridesmaids. Identify Thief. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Peace Frog @Dunnie Did you guys see that Mads' flick Another Round won an Oscar last night for International Feature Film?  Shocking part of director Thomas Vinterberg's acceptance speech is that he mentioned that his daughter was tragically killed in an auto accident four days into shooting the movie.  I did not know this until last night.  Wow, that's insane.

Here's Vinterberg's speech in case you missed it:

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

@Peace Frog @Dunnie Did you guys see that Mads' flick Another Round won an Oscar last night for International Feature Film?  Shocking part of director Thomas Vinterberg's acceptance speech is that he mentioned that his daughter was tragically killed in an auto accident four days into shooting the movie.  I did not know this until last night.  Wow, that's insane.

It’s on the list. The fiancé loves Madds. 

Saw Nobody Friday night. 

No spoilers but I will say (i) not John Wick, (ii) thoroughly enjoyable shoot em up flick, (iii) NOT what I expected, not even close, (iv) he is NOT Saul Goodman and (v) highly recommend if you do not take these type movies too seriously. Fun flick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Cool.  Hope you both enjoy it. 

We watched Seven Psychopaths the other night.  Very entertaining, well written and acted.  Fun flick.

Martin McDonagh. He’s great. Check out some of his screenplays, maybe 40-50 pages long. Lt of Inishmore is really dark comedy. His next film will star Brendan Gleason and Colin Farrell again. Can’t wait. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

amazing

• Upvote 1

Saw Nobody Friday night. 
No spoilers but I will say (i) not John Wick, (ii) thoroughly enjoyable shoot em up flick, (iii) NOT what I expected, not even close, (iv) he is NOT Saul Goodman and (v) highly recommend if you do not take these type movies too seriously. Fun flick. 
Excellent summary. Really one of the more enjoyable movies of this type I've seen in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched two Netflix things recently. Polar was fun because Mads Mikkelsen movies are an experience. It has corny elements to mirror the (graphic novel) source material, but Mikkelsen’s smoldering angst elevates everything else. 

Also watched Army of the Dead and people really have to stop paying Zack Snyder to do things. This was a joyless, contrived, and grating homage to significantly better zombie movies. Simply brutal

• Upvote 1

I'm late to the party on Minari, but I was in tears half the time. Hard to think of any other movies that cut right to the immigrant experience in the U.S. like that. Avalon and Godfather II were the only ones that came to mind watching it. The Korean contributions to cinema the last few decades are exquisite. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm late to the party on Minari, but I was in tears half the time. Hard to think of any other movies that cut right to the immigrant experience in the U.S. like that. Avalon and Godfather II were the only ones that came to mind watching it. The Korean contributions to cinema the last few decades are exquisite. 

Thanks for the review.  The flick is finally down from $20.  Really looking forward to it.  

Another great one outlining the immigrant experience is The Joy Luck Club.  I absolutely loved Amy Tan's book and thought they did a competent job translating it to film.  Plus, other than Bertolucci's The Last Emperor, rarely has there been so many gorgeous Asian women in one movie. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2021 at 7:54 AM, munchmemory said:

Finally streamed Tenet on Saturday.   I really wanted to like the film.  I did not.  

Confusing, not very well executed, story.  Most of the film is cluttered with gratuitous fight/battle/action sequences.   I expected better from Nolan.

Agreed.  Just watched it last night and felt like it was just confusing nonsense.  Went online after watching the movie to try to figure out what I just wasted two and a half hours of my life watching.  One site I found said that you have to watch it at least 3 or 4 times in order to appreciate it.  Way too much work.  Either a movie is entertaining or its not.  This wasn't.  No need to watch again to "get it."

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Just watched it last night and felt like it was just confusing nonsense.  Went online after watching the movie to try to figure out what I just wasted two and a half hours of my life watching.  One site I found said that you have to watch it at least 3 or 4 times in order to appreciate it.  Way too much work.  Either a movie is entertaining or its not.  This wasn't.  No need to watch again to "get it."

I've said this a million times to my wife, as well as anyone else having the misfortune to hear my diatribe:  It's always about story and nothing else.  It must have a coherent beginning, middle and end.  Period.   

I defy anyone to give me the story of Nolan's mess.  It just kept meandering and throwing a different action sequence every couple of minutes.  And the thought of having to watch a film three or four times to get it is laughable.  That's a convenient out for having made a terrible flick with no concrete story. 

• Sympathy 1

On 5/23/2021 at 8:33 PM, T0mShane said:

Also watched Army of the Dead and people really have to stop paying Zack Snyder to do things. This was a joyless, contrived, and grating homage to significantly better zombie movies. Simply brutal

Yes.

17 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I've said this a million times to my wife, as well as anyone else having the misfortune to hear my diatribe:  It's always about story and nothing else.  It must have a coherent beginning, middle and end.  Period.   

I defy anyone to give me the story of Nolan's mess.  I just kept meandering and throwing a different action sequence every couple of minutes.  And the though of having to watch a film three or four times to get it is laughable.  That's a convenient out for having made a terrible flick with no concrete story. 

Exactly.  It was as if he had this idea to film action scenes with some of the action going forward and some going in reverse and tried to build a story around the special effects, instead of using effects to enhance the story.

• Upvote 1

Finally streamed Tenet on Saturday.   I really wanted to like the film.  I did not.  
Confusing, not very well executed, story.  Most of the film is cluttered with gratuitous fight/battle/action sequences.
I ended up watching the middle section twice because my wife fell asleep about an hour in and then I shut it off with about an hour left, so we started the next day where she left. I understood so much more in the rewatch.
I expected better from Nolan.
Why? Name a big budget, hi tech movie and I'll show you a movie that's not working too hard on story, character development or plausibility. All hallmarks of recent Nolan films, or at least those based on his original screenplay.

36 minutes ago, isired said:

I ended up watching the middle section twice because my wife fell asleep about an hour in and then I shut it off with about an hour left, so we started the next day where she left. I understood so much more in the rewatch.
Why? Name a big budget, hi tech movie and I'll show you a movie that's not working too hard on story, character development or plausibility. All hallmarks of recent Nolan films, or at least those based on his original screenplay.

Totally agree with your comment.  That's why, for the great majority, I don't watch mega flicks, especially "hi-tech" and super hero movies.  I just get bored with all the action sequences, ridiculous exposition, and other filler.  Typically, there isn't much of a story driving the film to keep my interest.  

• Sympathy 1

On 5/23/2021 at 6:33 PM, T0mShane said:

Watched two Netflix things recently. Polar was fun because Mads Mikkelsen movies are an experience. It has corny elements to mirror the (graphic novel) source material, but Mikkelsen’s smoldering angst elevates everything else. 

Snyder is the very definition of “all flash and no substance”.

The guy is a one trick pony and that one trick became stale 15 years ago.

If it’s a zombie flick and it isn’t being directed by George Romero between 1968 and 1985...then skip it.

28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead being the lone exceptions.

EDIT: One Cut of the Dead as well. Nice little pleasant surprise.

• Sympathy 1

Finally streamed The Father last night.  Based on Florian Zeller's play, this movie (which he also co-wrote and first-time directed) is perfect from start to finish.  In the lead role, Anthony Hopkins is flawless and astonishing.  

As good as the late Chadwick Boseman's performance was in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, I understand now why Hopkin's received The Oscar over him.  It's just on an entirely different level.  Maybe because he's been around for so long, you forget Hopkins' level of skill as an actor.  It really shines/stuns in this movie.

As someone whose late father had similar issues, the film was often difficult to watch.  I recall my Dad saying, and doing, similar things.  But what a massive piece of filmmaking by everyone involved.    10/10

• Upvote 1