Movies We've Seen Thread

Was caught with severe entertainment limitations recently so I gave Independence Day: Resurgence a try 

holy crap what a bad movie lol. It was totally mailed in garbage recycling of the original with basically nothing new except they ripped off the aliens Queen for good measure. 

I started literally laughing out loud when the space ships shaped like fighter jets started “flying “ in space.   Not even trying to account for the lack of atmosphere.  I mean this isn’t interstellar but can’t you try ?  

0 stars it’s really that bad lol

• Upvote 2

Saw two new movies this week:

The Tomorrow War:  A cornucopia of recycled plots. Particularly Aliens. Bad movie.  And of course, Chris Pratt's always bad acting. Bad script. Bad everything.

Nobody: Call me stupid but I loved every minute of it. Very campy but a boatload of fun and Bob Odenkirk is the sh*t. Highly recommend.  I will watch again.

Nobody-Movie-Image-1024x576.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Nobody: Call me stupid but I loved every minute of it. Very campy but a boatload of fun and Bob Odenkirk is the sh*t. Highly recommend.  I will watch again.
Nobody-Movie-Image-1024x576.jpg

You're stupid!

I loved it too. Everything I'd hoped it would be and more.
  • Upvote 1

@southparkcpa  @isired My entire family and I are Saul/Walt fanatics.  We couldn't wait until Nobody was reduced from the $20 to the regular streaming cost.  Finally happened last weekend.   We all enjoyed the flick, and especially Bob Odenkirk playing against type, but were left wanting more.  

I needed to know more about the wife and his backstory.  Did she know his history?  Was she part of his history?  Was his Dad  in the same military unit?  Also, going with the Russian mob was beyond cliche.  

Really enjoyed the movie, but wish they had a better, more complete, script.  It could have been a much better flick than what we got.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

[mention=7292]southparkcpa[/mention]  [mention=5465]isired[/mention] My entire family and I are Saul/Walt fanatics.  We couldn't wait until Nobody was reduced from the $20 to the regular streaming cost.  Finally happened last weekend.   We all enjoyed the flick, and especially Bob Odenkirk playing against type, but were left wanting more.  
I needed to know more about the wife and his backstory.  Did she know his history?  Was she part of his history?  Was his Dad  in the same military unit?  Also, going with the Russian mob was beyond cliche.  
Really enjoyed the movie, but wish they had a better, more complete, script.  It could have been a much better flick than what we got.
I definitely think the story has a lot of legs, wouldn't be surprised if they tell those stories in other films. Especially now that he's embraced what he is and what he does.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, isired said:
1 hour ago, munchmemory said:
[mention=7292]southparkcpa[/mention]  [mention=5465]isired[/mention] My entire family and I are Saul/Walt fanatics.  We couldn't wait until Nobody was reduced from the $20 to the regular streaming cost.  Finally happened last weekend.   We all enjoyed the flick, and especially Bob Odenkirk playing against type, but were left wanting more.  

I definitely think the story has a lot of legs, wouldn't be surprised if they tell those stories in other films. Especially now that he's embraced what he is and what he does.

No doubt.  The last "basement" line as they're looking for houses seems to set up a sequel.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, isired said:
4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Christopher Lloyd as an old badass was great.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quiet Place 2.  1st 20 minutes with Krasinski were very good.  The remaining hour and 15 was nothing more than a derivative of Aliens and boring.  Emily Bland :P doesn't help at all.  Alien and Aliens  plots may be the most recycled plots in motion picture history.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, Dcat said:

Quiet Place 2.  1st 20 minutes with Krasinski were very good.  The remaining hour and 15 was nothing more than a derivative of Aliens and boring.  Emily Bland :P doesn't help at all.  Alien and Aliens  plots may be the most recycled plots in motion picture history.

I actually enjoyed it.   Found it to be suspenseful.   They are clearly opening up a large TWD type of world with it too which I'm kind of jazzed for.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm biased AF but Pig is incredible and Nic Cage is incredible. I cannot begin to stress the amount of amazing meta material he has put out the last several years. Colour Out of Space, Mandy, Willy's Wonderland...etc. Pig honestly might be the best thing he's ever done.

Pig was great and it was easily Cage’s best role since Leaving Las Vegas.

Color out of Space was great too. Felt like a f*cked up Cronenberg movie from the 80’s.

Willy’s Wonderland I didn’t care for. Just way too goofy and over the top.

But Pig was an awesome performance from a gifted actor who has literally become a meme in recent years.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Pig was great and it was easily Cage’s best role since Leaving Las Vegas.

Color out of Space was great too. Felt like a f*cked up Cronenberg movie from the 80’s.

Willy’s Wonderland I didn’t care for. Just way too goofy and over the top.

But Pig was an awesome performance from a gifted actor who has literally become a meme in recent years.

Mandy is the bomb too

On 8/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, Dcat said:

On 8/11/2021 at 3:29 PM, JiFapono said:

I actually enjoyed it.   Found it to be suspenseful.   They are clearly opening up a large TWD type of world with it too which I'm kind of jazzed for.

Man, Dcat, I can't disagree with you more.  I agree with JiF's takes on this and will go beyond that.  I'm not usually a movie review guy but I've already watched this movie 3x since it came available on Amazon and was enthralled, and had to speak up here in defense.

Yes, there were elements of Aliens, and Krasinski admitted he was heavily influenced by that when writing the movie.  Recycled?  Certain aspects, sure.  But that doesn't bother me.  He is trying to advance the genre and did an incredible job in my view.  I haven't seen horror movies quite like Quiet Place or Quiet Place 2.  Horror movies have never been my thing so I know I'm speaking from ignorance, but I also enjoyed these tremendously despite not being a horror guy, so I think that says something. 

Emily Blunt, as Evelyn Abbott, was terrific in my view in carrying the movie, post Lee's (Krasinski's death).  Have you considered she needed to be "bland" in a post-apocalyptic world where emotions (which lead to noise) can get you killed easily?  A lot changed about the world very quickly to force Evelyn to be "bland".  I imagine at least 95 % of civilization died in a matter of days, and then we fast forward to Day 474, where only the strong and intelligent and most adaptable are left behind (with cannibals being some of the most prevalent people on earth, of course).  Over the course of the first 2 movies of this franchise she had to:  1) Give birth silently; 2) Step on a nail and not yell; 3) quiet her son who had been injured horribly when snared by a bear trap; 4) save members of her family at every turn, even after Lee died and even as her son acted like a b*tch (amazingly, even as the weakest link he didn't get them all killed).  

Blunt being "bland" promoted her and her family's survival, and she wouldn't have survived without being stoic.  Early in the movie she was not bland at all, though the entire atmosphere/personality of the small farm town citizens was a bit muted in Krasinski's vision, to be fair.  If you're going to blame anyone for "blandness", blame Krasinski if you wish, I guess.  Blunt wasn't really bland in Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise either, so its just a curious take to me.  She's simply excellent at playing a badass, and how can you not enjoy that?  Perhaps if she continues to be typecast as a bland actress, you'll have a point.  Until then I enjoy what she brings to the table.

The films have been as much about human nature as much as it has facing an alien threat.  The human nature aspect was more interesting to me as they dealt with an existential and ever-present threat of aliens and other humans they came across.  Krasinski seemed to carefully consider all the different angles as to how humans would react and interact in the post-apocalyptic setting.  I kept trying to criticize his writing but all I could come up with was lazy writing when it came to the son's behavior (when he left the baby alone to explore his surroundings; I mean wtf dude, how are you THAT bored and stupid?  Of course all you'd find are dead bodies.  Leave the supply hunting to others) and wondering, as I mentioned earlier, how he hadn't gotten them all killed long before this.  Otherwise it all made a ton of sense.  People acted in ways that could be predicted by Economists/Sociologists/Psychologists and that was fascinating to me.  Did you not enjoy this aspect at all?

It has also been fascinating how slowly Krasinski has brought the plot along, so we're only learning alongside the main characters as to what the new world is like.  Fascinating stuff to me, and I'm very excited about the 3rd installment.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Man, Dcat, I can't disagree with you more.  I agree with JiF's takes on this and will go beyond that.  I'm not usually a movie review guy but I've already watched this movie 3x since it came available on Amazon and was enthralled, and had to speak up here in defense.

Yes, there were elements of Aliens, and Krasinski admitted he was heavily influenced by that when writing the movie.  Recycled?  Certain aspects, sure.  But that doesn't bother me.  He is trying to advance the genre and did an incredible job in my view.  I haven't seen horror movies quite like Quiet Place or Quiet Place 2.  Horror movies have never been my thing so I know I'm speaking from ignorance, but I also enjoyed these tremendously despite not being a horror guy, so I think that says something. 

Emily Blunt, as Evelyn Abbott, was terrific in my view in carrying the movie, post Lee's (Krasinski's death).  Have you considered she needed to be "bland" in a post-apocalyptic world where emotions (which lead to noise) can get you killed easily?  A lot changed about the world very quickly to force Evelyn to be "bland".  I imagine at least 95 % of civilization died in a matter of days, and then we fast forward to Day 474, where only the strong and intelligent and most adaptable are left behind (with cannibals being some of the most prevalent people on earth, of course).  Over the course of the first 2 movies of this franchise she had to:  1) Give birth silently; 2) Step on a nail and not yell; 3) quiet her son who had been injured horribly when snared by a bear trap; 4) save members of her family at every turn, even after Lee died and even as her son acted like a b*tch (amazingly, even as the weakest link he didn't get them all killed).  

Blunt being "bland" promoted her and her family's survival, and she wouldn't have survived without being stoic.  Early in the movie she was not bland at all, though the entire atmosphere/personality of the small farm town citizens was a bit muted in Krasinski's vision, to be fair.  If you're going to blame anyone for "blandness", blame Krasinski if you wish, I guess.  Blunt wasn't really bland in Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise either, so its just a curious take to me.  She's simply excellent at playing a badass, and how can you not enjoy that?  Perhaps if she continues to be typecast as a bland actress, you'll have a point.  Until then I enjoy what she brings to the table.

The films have been as much about human nature as much as it has facing an alien threat.  The human nature aspect was more interesting to me as they dealt with an existential and ever-present threat of aliens and other humans they came across.  Krasinski seemed to carefully consider all the different angles as to how humans would react and interact in the post-apocalyptic setting.  I kept trying to criticize his writing but all I could come up with was lazy writing when it came to the son's behavior (when he left the baby alone to explore his surroundings; I mean wtf dude, how are you THAT bored and stupid?  Of course all you'd find are dead bodies.  Leave the supply hunting to others) and wondering, as I mentioned earlier, how he hadn't gotten them all killed long before this.  Otherwise it all made a ton of sense.  People acted in ways that could be predicted by Economists/Sociologists/Psychologists and that was fascinating to me.  Did you not enjoy this aspect at all?

It has also been fascinating how slowly Krasinski has brought the plot along, so we're only learning alongside the main characters as to what the new world is like.  Fascinating stuff to me, and I'm very excited about the 3rd installment.

Hopefully the 3rd installment will be a little more creative. It really is little more than an aliens plot derivative, right down to the make up.  I'm just so sick of them it has become an instant turn off.  FWIW, my kids and wife thought it sucked also.  And Quiet Place was fantastic, so this was an utter disappointment.  

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Hopefully the 3rd installment will be a little more creative. It really is little more than an aliens plot derivative, right down to the make up.  I'm just so sick of them it has become an instant turn off.  FWIW, my kids and wife thought it sucked also.  And Quiet Place was fantastic, so this was an utter disappointment.  

I don’t see it that way at all but to each their own!  My wife and I were on the edge of our seats throughout. 

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t see it that way at all but to each their own!  My wife and I were on the edge of our seats throughout. 

And so was I, in Aliens and Aliens 2 with these types of aliens.

Spawned from those movies, right down to their indoor movements and gait and faces. Sheesh.  Zero creativity. Original was great because the idea of sensing sound only was unique.  Gee, ya think they'll find a way to hurt their hearing abilities?  Hmmm...  One wonders.   Come on.  Enough with the knockoff, regurgitated, hackneyed aliens.  Not near as bad as the typical superhero movie, but bad nonetheless. Halfway through we knew where it was going and how it would end including the set up for more gratuitious revenue from yet another recycle episode.

7 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

As much as I've loved the MCU over the last 13 years....I'm not sure I be able to get into all of the new heros and movies.

I want to see the last of the Guardians movies, and maybe Ant Man, but I'm pretty much done with it all.

I'm a fan of the band Sparks since first hearing their album Kimono My House back in the 70s.   A few weeks ago, I read that Ron & Russell Mael (bothers from L.A. who created Sparks and wrote everything they ever recorded) had written a concept album which has been turned into a movie by Amazon.   It's called "Annette", which finally streamed free on Amazon Prime.  Caught it last night.  

It's a very polarizing flick, with folks/reviewers either calling it visionary or a complete POS.  Can't say I loved it.  But liking it more and more today as I ponder the film's unique approach, especially the final hour or so.  I can't get the rousing opening number out of my head.  The Mael Brothers could always write catchy tunes.

First, the film is not for everyone, especially if you do not appreciate out of the box storytelling.   (This is way out there.)  It had it's premiere at, and opened, this year's Cannes Film Festival, where the film's director, the always-interesting/bizarre Leos Carax, won the prize for best director.  The movie is equal parts avant-garde filmmaking, musical theater and rock opera.  Absolutely stunning art direction/visuals, gorgeous music, and a fantastic performance by the imposing Adam Driver in the lead role.

Definitely worth checking out, especially for free if you have an Amazon Prime membership.

39 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm a fan of the band Sparks since first hearing their album Kimono My House back in the 70s.   A few weeks ago, I read that Ron & Russell Mael (bothers from L.A. who created Sparks and wrote everything they ever recorded) had written a concept album which has been turned into a movie by Amazon.   It's called "Annette", which finally streamed free on Amazon Prime.  Caught it last night.  

It's a very polarizing flick, with folks/reviewers either calling it visionary or a complete POS.  Can't say I loved it.  But liking it more and more today as I ponder the film's unique approach, especially the final hour or so.  I can't get the rousing opening number out of my head.  The Mael Brothers could always write catchy tunes.

First, the film is not for everyone, especially if you do not appreciate out of the box storytelling.   (This is way out there.)  It had it's premiere at, and opened, this year's Cannes Film Festival, where the film's director, the always-interesting/bizarre Leos Carax, won the prize for best director.  The movie is equal parts avant-garde filmmaking, musical theater and rock opera.  Absolutely stunning art direction/visuals, gorgeous music, and a fantastic performance by the imposing Adam Driver in the lead role.

Definitely worth checking out, especially for free if you have an Amazon Prime membership.

I'm in.  Now do I watch it alone or with my wife, who will yap to the nth degree if it's weird?  She won't wait it out if it's totally off.