Movies We've Seen Thread

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I'm in.  Now do I watch it alone or with my wife, who will yap to the nth degree if it's weird?  She won't wait it out if it's totally off.

You know what I have been doing lately?  Enabling the closed captioning so I don't miss the lyrics/dialog when my wife and son are asking questions, etc. during movies.  Works great in a flick like Annette because it's almost all sung and you would miss some lyrics.

Again, this flick is as one reviewer called it, "bonkers".  I was just blown away by the way the director created the world within the story.  Very imaginative.   I've been singing the damn opening song all morning.

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

You know what I have been doing lately?  Enabling the closed captioning so I don't miss the lyrics/dialog when my wife and son are asking questions, etc. during movies.  Works great in a flick like Annette because it's almost all sung and you would miss some lyrics.

Again, this flick is as one reviewer called it, "bonkers".  I was just blown away by the way the director created the world within the story.  Very imaginative.   I've been singing the damn opening song all morning.

Sung?  My wife lasted less than half hour for the movie version of Les Miserables.  And we saw it on Broadway decades ago and loved it.  So I don't get it.  TBH, I didn't last much longer in the movie version. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Sung?  My wife lasted less than half hour for the movie version of Les Miserables.  And we saw it on Broadway decades ago and loved it.  So I don't get it.  TBH, I didn't last much longer in the movie version. 

"Annette" is one of those musicals where there is almost no spoken word.  All singing.  

I saw Les Miserables on Broadway and was floored by the play and performances.  Literally brought to tears.  This from a guy who normally despises all musicals.

My wife is a Les Mis fanatic, and even she didn't totally get the movie version, especially casting Russell Crowe as Javert.   Frogs laughed at his singing.  Me?  I hated every minute of that flick.  And how does Anne Hathaway get an Oscar for, what, 10 minutes on screen?  Awful.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 1:03 PM, munchmemory said:

Enjoyed a documentary on drummers/drumming recently, "Count Me In" on Netflix.    Especially for you drummers @Drums @NJ, it's worth checking out if you haven't already.

Saw it the other night, absolutely loved it.  Great timing too with them do a bit on Charlie Watts

• Upvote 1

People forget that before James Wan starting doing huge tentpole flicks and franchises he had quite a run of quality lower budget horror flicks with obscure and unknown castings. I really enjoyed Malignant. It was like picking up an old pair of sneakers that I hadn't worn in a while yet still had some solid life in them. I forgot how good Wan is at milking campy horror in his own kick ass style. I get why he has to go back to Aquaman but it was nice to see him throw a bone to the lot of us that still love Saw and Insidious.

P.S. Third act is ******* wild.

Started streaming Cry Macho last night.  Went to bed halfway through.

Clint is an American treasure and I LOVE his films, but it's time to stay behind the camera if he's going to keep working.

It was a hell of a run Mr Eastwood and you are a GOAT.  

Unfortunately, the acting was brutal to say the least.  

He can barely speak let alone walk and they have him breaking in horses and fist fighting??

It's sad to see him so frail.

The kid and Dwight were horrible too.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Streamed The Many Saints of Newark last night.   Succinctly, David Chase has made his Godfather 3.

You had three uber fans watching who believe The Sopranos is either first or second best TV series ever created.   We all had the same negative reaction to this movie, looking quizzically at each other saying WTF is Chase doing?   Overall, the movie lacks the pace of Sopranos' episodes.  There was just no spark.  

Of course you get snippets of young versions of the Sopranos' gang like Paulie, Sil, Artie, a young Carmella for about a second, and a few others.  In most cases (especially with Sil), trying to mimic the older characters was gratuitous, absurdly funny and off the mark.  Best part for me was the narration by "someone" in the afterlife and the great Soprano's theme which closes the story.

And if you were hoping that the flick was about Tony's rise to become the guy we knew on The Sopranos?  This movie is not for you. It focuses mainly on Chris' father, Dickie Moltisanti.  

Overall: 1-2/10

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Streamed The Many Saints of Newark last night.   Succinctly, David Chase has made his Godfather 3.

You had three uber fans watching who believe The Sopranos is either first or second best TV series ever created.   We all had the same negative reaction to this movie, looking quizzically at each other saying WTF is Chase doing?   Overall, the movie lacks the pace of Sopranos' episodes.  There was just no spark.  

Of course you get snippets of young versions of the Sopranos' gang like Paulie, Sil, Artie, a young Carmella for about a second, and a few others.  In most cases (especially with Sil), trying to mimic the older characters was gratuitous, absurdly funny and off the mark.  Best part for me was the narration by "someone" in the afterlife and the great Soprano's theme which closes the story.

And if you were hoping that the flick was about Tony's rise to become the guy we knew on The Sopranos?  This movie is not for you. It focuses mainly on Chris' father, Dickie Moltisanti.  

Yep

Watched it last night. Huge letdown.

I knew that Dickie was going to play a big part in the movie, but I didn’t know that he was going to be THE movie. Who gives a sh*t?

I figured he was going to be the mentor to Tony, getting him involved in the business. There’s really nothing like that.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Untouchable said:

Yep

Watched it last night. Huge letdown.

I knew that Dickie was going to play a big part in the movie, but I didn’t know that he was going to be THE movie. Who gives a sh*t?

I figured he was going to be the mentor to Tony, getting him involved in the business. There’s really nothing like that.

Right?   They also devoted way too much time to the Newark riots and the emergence of Harold's character.

We were all still tal;king about the movie today.   Really, really disappointed in it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Right?   They also devoted way too much time to the Newark riots and the emergence of Harold's character.

We were all still tal;king about the movie today.   Really, really disappointed in it.

Complete waste

I looked forward to this for like two years.

I would’ve rather seen a movie about young Johnny Boy and Junior running the neighborhood.

Tony was literally just some average high school kid. They didn’t even delve the slightest bit into him joining the life. You get Gandolfini’s kid, who did a good job with what he was given, and basically regulate him to being a background character…

Chase is a dickbag 

• Sympathy 1

I can’t agree with you guys more on Many Saints.  Huge disappointment.  Watching whoever it was try to mimic Van Zandt’s Sil was borderline uncomfortable. 

Venom 2 was a big disappointment as well.  Just wait for someone to post the after credits scene online and watch that instead if you’re into the Marvel films and trying to see where all of this is going. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Complete waste

I looked forward to this for like two years.

I would’ve rather seen a movie about young Johnny Boy and Junior running the neighborhood.

Tony was literally just some average high school kid. They didn’t even delve the slightest bit into him joining the life. You get Gandolfini’s kid, who did a good job with what he was given, and basically regulate him to being a background character…

Chase is a dickbag 

Sums up how I feel pretty well. Trailer had me stoked and the whole thing was a missed opportunity. The series is littered with stories they could have explored and instead Chase just used the vehicle to do his own thing, which is actually not surprising but ugh.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was mildly entertaining. Would never stand on its own. Has 6.8/10 on IMDB, that's generous.

I give it a 5/10.

The best thing about it is seeing the casting and the acting of the younger versions of Sopranos mainstays. And the fact that they're obviously planning for another, and hopefully they do better the second time around.

Realized why they felt the need to cram "Who made Tony Soprano" into the marketing. It's a 'if you watched the Sopranos, you might as well watch this'.

9 hours ago, isired said:

I thought it was mildly entertaining. Would never stand on its own. Has 6.8/10 on IMDB, that's generous.

I give it a 5/10.

The best thing about it is seeing the casting and the acting of the younger versions of Sopranos mainstays. And the fact that they're obviously planning for another, and hopefully they do better the second time around.

Realized why they felt the need to cram "Who made Tony Soprano" into the marketing. It's a 'if you watched the Sopranos, you might as well watch this'.

See, other than Tony's younger self, I thought the rest of them were too cartoonish.  Just depicted clumsily, especially young Sil.  

I agree that Chase and the producers are setting up more movies.  But if that's the case, why not just create another series as a prequel?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

See, other than Tony's younger self, I thought the rest of them were too cartoonish.  Just depicted clumsily, especially young Sil.  

I agree that Chase and the producers are setting up more movies.  But if that's the case, why not just create another series as a prequel?

Because a series is a hell of a lot more work than a couple of movies.

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Because a series is a hell of a lot more work than a couple of movies.

Not necessarily.  A full up feature is a huge undertaking.

Okay, so how about Chase does a limited series prequel?  He could flesh out the story in four to six episodes.  Most likely faster than organizing a bunch of full length movies.

I thought they made young Tony look like a pud. And young Gandolfini isn't a pud.

As for the others, yeah some were cartoonish but Sil is cartoonish. If he didn't have those mannerisms as a younger guy when would he develop them? Same for Paulie. I thought they did a good job with him.

It's gonna take some transformation to make Tony Soprano out of Young Tony Soprano. I can't figure out how people wind up fearing that kid. So I do think there's still a good film in there somewhere.
  • Upvote 1