Movies We've Seen Thread

8 hours ago, isired said:

I thought they made young Tony look like a pud. And young Gandolfini isn't a pud.

As for the others, yeah some were cartoonish but Sil is cartoonish. If he didn't have those mannerisms as a younger guy when would he develop them? Same for Paulie. I thought they did a good job with him.

It's gonna take some transformation to make Tony Soprano out of Young Tony Soprano. I can't figure out how people wind up fearing that kid. So I do think there's still a good film in there somewhere.

Yeah, what am I thinking concerning Sil?   Guess he was always a bit strange.  lol

Totally agree that they made Tony too passive and goofy.  It would have been nice if the filmmakers at least gave us that transformational moment.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The thing with the Many Saints of Newark is we were always under the impression Tony, Sil, Jackie Sr and Pussy all grew up together. However in the movie Sil is already well into his mafia career while T is still in high school. Made no sense. Big letdown to all the huge sopranos fans out there 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Chase just got a 5 year developmental deal with HBO. "Saints" makes sense as a trailer for what's to come. Harold McBrayer and Frank Lucas?

The Newark riot sequence looked like a high school production of "Miss Saigon". Looked terrible.

Tony is traumatized because his cool uncle won't buy him beer? The drinking age was 18. Either you had fake proof or a friendly senior to buy your weekend beverages

That Junior would SPOILER

order Dickie's murder for a minor slight makes no sense at all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Chase just got a 5 year developmental deal with HBO. "Saints" makes sense as a trailer for what's to come. Harold McBrayer and Frank Lucas?

The Newark riot sequence looked like a high school production of "Miss Saigon". Looked terrible.

Tony is traumatized because his cool uncle won't buy him beer? The drinking age was 18. Either you had fake proof or a friendly senior to buy your weekend beverages

That Junior would SPOILER

order Dickie's murder for a minor slight makes no sense at all. 

Chase should go light a candle.  The Many Saints of Newark was an awful attempt at storytelling.  The pace and execution of the movie was even worse.  We expected better from the man who created a once in a life time series like The Sopranos.  

• Upvote 4

On 10/6/2021 at 8:26 PM, isired said:

Funny, I though that made perfect sense.

BTW, one of the few stories from Goodfellas that is reportedly more or less accurate.

The guy on the far right in this scene is/was  a NYC Criminal Court Judge, William Erlbaum, who was a law professor fo mine many moons ago. Cracks me up how Scorcese fills the background with characters.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Was solid 

But they’re clearly going for a sequel or even trilogy. And my problem with that is, who’s to say they ever even get made?

Villeneuve’s Blade Runner sequel was solid, but it absolutely tanked at the box office.

We’ll see I guess. As just stand alone movies, I still prefer David Lynch’s version. I know a lot of people who have read the books hate that movie, but I’ve always loved it.

I love Dune '84. When I have reread the Book (Just Dune, I've never desired a rereading any of the follow up books) I "see"  the characters as the cast of the movie. Its the only movie I have ever seen that has successfully combined camp and epic epicness. 

"Long live the Fighters!!"

"FATHER...The sleeper HAS AWAKENED!!"

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Just waiting for the stream on HBO Max.   This weekend, for sure.

I know Lynch disowned the original flick.  But I did not hate it.   I'm actually psyched to see what Villeneuve does with the story.  Plus, I like Chalamet and Zendaya.

I think Brolin as Gurney Halleck is perfect casting. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I love Dune '84. When I have reread the Book (Just Dune, I've never desired a rereading any of the follow up books) I "see"  the characters as the cast of the movie. Its the only movie I have ever seen that has successfully combined camp and epic epicness. 

"Long live the Fighters!!"

"FATHER...The sleeper HAS AWAKENED!!"

I never understood the hatred for that movie.  Plenty of dogs made before and after.  Gigli anyone?

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Kolchak said:

I never understood the hatred for that movie.  Plenty of dogs made before and after.  Gigli anyone?

They’re the same people who simp for the “The Shining” TV mini-series while sh*tting on the infinitely superior Kubrick movie, just because the mini-series was closer to King’s book.

Meanwhile King is a complete f*cking weirdo whose books almost always fall apart halfway through and he has some kind of weird obsession with kids either getting abused or banging each other…or both.

• Sympathy 2

Re: Dune

Going to be a huge difference in reactions between people that watch it at home vs those who go to a legit theater setting. Find the biggest and loudest theater possible for it, really. Can't stress enough how much of a stunner the entire thing is visually and in Dolby. 

I've read that damn book eighty billion times, and the whole time it felt like I was watching the book. Villaneuve is really something.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Re: Dune

Going to be a huge difference in reactions between people that watch it at home vs those who go to a legit theater setting. Find the biggest and loudest theater possible for it, really. Can't stress enough how much of a stunner the entire thing is visually and in Dolby. 

I've read that damn book eighty billion times, and the whole time it felt like I was watching the book. Villaneuve is really something.

I totally agree.

Went to the theater last night, couple things.

#1. It was really, really well done.   Great cast, the movie took it's time building up the world they were in.

#B. The music was excellent, I love Hans Zimmer

#4. I really hope it makes enough $$ in the theater where they make the sequels

21 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think Brolin as Gurney Halleck is perfect casting. 

They nailed the casting from top to bottom.

It's also funny if you like super hero movies.

"Oh, Aquaman is hanging out with Thanos/Cable.   There's Spiderman's GF.   That's that goofy scientist guy from Thor, he looks meaner now.  Drax is a different color, but still kind of a psycho.  Hey, this music reminds me of the Dark Knight.   Didn't that guy fly an X-Wing in those crappy Star Wars Movies?

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

I totally agree.

Went to the theater last night, couple things.

#1. It was really, really well done.   Great cast, the movie took it's time building up the world they were in.

#4. I really hope it makes enough $$ in the theater where they make the sequels

From what I have read/heard the sequel is happening. Box office isn't going to be the sole judge, also based on viewership on the Max app. Both are projected very high right now. 

Also worth noting that Villaneuve stated years ago that he would not have taken on the project if he did not have some assurances from WB that barring a disaster he'd be greenlit for Part II. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Also re: this, I think this is the best work he's ever done. His soundtracks to Gladiator, Interstellar and The Dark Knight...etc are classics, but there was something about the music and the sandworms that seemed like nothing I had ever experienced in a movie theater before. As the entire theater shook during the first worm appearance, combined with the music and sound, with Gunny and Paul flying over it, that was a movie scene almost 50 years in the making and it's something I'll probably never forget experiencing for the first time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Just watched the original Halloween last night for the umpteenth time.  It still holds up, if you enjoy the genre.  More than holds up.

It’s still the greatest slasher movie of all-time.

Unfortunately, every sequel has been terrible. Including the newest installment that the wife talked me into watching last night. Never again.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It’s still the greatest slasher movie of all-time.

Unfortunately, every sequel has been terrible. Including the newest installment that the wife talked me into watching last night. Never again.

I was considering watching it.  Glad you shared this. Save myself the time.

• Upvote 1

We watched The Marksman with Liam Neeson tonight on Hulu. I thought it was pretty good reminded me a little of Gran Torino. Kind of a gripping story about the cartel, a border crossing and a older rancher on the border trying to save a kid they are hunting down because his brother cheated them out of money. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6902332/

Streamed Dune last night.  First, the movie is gorgeous visually.  Just beautifully shot/constructed with very impressive effects, etc. ( LOVED the flying machines which looked like dragon flies.)  And as others have said, Hans Zimmer's score is incredible.   The guy is a genius.

That said, I was disappointed in the flick.   Why?  Because unlike Lynch's version we only get half the story and are left hanging.  Now, we wait a couple of years until they make a sequel to see its conclusion?  Ridiculous.

The movie was also very slow to develop, plodding in many sections sacrificing story for visuals.  I also think the actors were not given very much to do. Everyone is fine in their roles, with Rebecca Ferguson and Timothée Chalamet as standouts IMO. (And apart from a cliche ending for his character, Jason Mamoa was okay, too.) But everyone else's screen time was limited.  Brolin, Zendaya, Bardem and a bunch of others are on screen for what seems like 20 seconds each.  No real time for us to comprehend their characters.

Overall, I did not hate Denis Villeneuve's movie.  But I liked Lynch's original version so much better.  Just a more complete treatment of the story.  More emotional, too.   And I missed seeing Paul Atreides riding the giant worm.

6-7/10, mostly for the visuals and music.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Streamed Dune last night.  First, the movie is gorgeous visually.  Just beautifully shot/constructed with very impressive effects, etc. ( LOVED the flying machines which looked like dragon flies.)  And as others have said, Hans Zimmer's score is incredible.   The guy is a genius.

That said, I was disappointed in the flick.   Why?  Because unlike Lynch's version we only get half the story and are left hanging.  Now, we wait a couple of years until they make a sequel to see its conclusion?  Ridiculous.

The movie was also very slow to develop, plodding in many sections sacrificing story for visuals.  I also think the actors were not given very much to do. Everyone is fine in their roles, with Rebecca Ferguson and Timothée Chalamet as standouts IMO. (And apart from a cliche ending for his character, Jason Mamoa was okay, too.) But everyone else's screen time was limited.  Brolin, Zendaya, Bardem and a bunch of others are on screen for what seems like 20 seconds each.  No real time for us to comprehend their characters.

Overall, I did not hate Denis Villeneuve's movie.  But I liked Lynch's original version so much better.  Just a more complete treatment of the story.  More emotional, too.   And I missed seeing Paul Atreides riding the giant worm.

6-7/10, mostly for the visuals and music.

I am also an aficionado of the Lynch Dune, but this is part 1 of 2 (I hope). Complaining that its incomplete is like saying you didn't like Fellowship of the Rings because it just kind of ends without a conclusion....? 

******SPOILER ALERT******

Bro, Duncan Idaho dies during the initial battles for Arrakis fighting the Saudukar. Its Canon from the book. He goes out while ******* stacking bodies LAMF. How is portraying that a "cliche"? Its what happens to the character. ? 

I am personally pissed there are no War Pugs seen in this version, though. 

1EilY.gif.319344cf00e2e40b8e8f82161f990efe.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bro, Duncan Idaho dies during the initial battles for Arrakis fighting the Saudukar. Its Canon from the book. He goes out while ******* stacking bodies LAMF. How is portraying that a "cliche"? Its what happens to the character. ? 

I think the best service that Villaneuve added to the Dune franchise was doing Duncan justice. One of the big criticisms of the first Dune book is that Herbert does not explain enough how much of a respected fighter Duncan is. It isn't until the later books that they flesh out his legend more. Maybe it was casting Mamoa but the the way they portrayed him certainly felt like everything he was made out to be in Messiah and Children of Dune. Villaneuve could have gone the Peter Jackson route of explaining every little thing and had his characters explain what a Swordsman of Ginaz is, but instead he just shows you what Duncan can do after having him smirk at the audience, and I love that.

• Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, munchmemory said:

(And apart from a cliche ending for his character, Jason Mamoa was okay, too.

"Paul had one last glimpse of Idaho standing against a swarm of Harkonnen uniforms--his jerking, controlled staggers, the black goat hair with a red blossom of death in it. Then the door was closed and there came a snick as Kynes threw the bolts."

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I am also an aficionado of the Lynch Dune, but this is part 1 of 2 (I hope). Complaining that its incomplete is like saying you didn't like Fellowship of the Rings because it just kind of ends without a conclusion....? 

******SPOILER ALERT******

I am personally pissed there are no War Pugs seen in this version, though. 

1EilY.gif.319344cf00e2e40b8e8f82161f990efe.gif

Yes, I know it was part one.  But I was still left wanting more of the story.  It's not a stand alone film.  Maybe my issue is where Villeneuve stopped his movie.

Lynch disowned his version because Dino De Laurentiis and his daughter forced him to take an hour out of the film. It's running time is 2 hrs. 17 mins instead of Lynch's intended three hours.  Villeneuve's Dune is 2 hrs. 35 mins.   Other than money from a sequel, I see no reason why Villeneuve could not have completed the story by adding another half hour or so.  

I have no problem with Idaho's ending other than they did the "cliché " Hollywood trick of having him dead, but then popping up again to fight some more. It's hokey. 

Again, I did not hate the flick.  Actually really appreciated/enjoyed much of it.  Just think Villeneuve spent too much time with slow moving details for this set up to (hopefully) part two.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

"Paul had one last glimpse of Idaho standing against a swarm of Harkonnen uniforms--his jerking, controlled staggers, the black goat hair with a red blossom of death in it. Then the door was closed and there came a snick as Kynes threw the bolts."

Thanks for this, Rutgers.   See my hokey comment above. 

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think the best service that Villaneuve added to the Dune franchise was doing Duncan justice. One of the big criticisms of the first Dune book is that Herbert does not explain enough how much of a respected fighter Duncan is. It isn't until the later books that they flesh out his legend more. Maybe it was casting Mamoa but the the way they portrayed him certainly felt like everything he was made out to be in Messiah and Children of Dune. Villaneuve could have gone the Peter Jackson route of explaining every little thing and had his characters explain what a Swordsman of Ginaz is, but instead he just shows you what Duncan can do after having him smirk at the audience, and I love that.

The less we know about Ginaz, the better. Brian Herbert wrote a book about Duncan Idaho at the Swordmasters school....and ruined it.  ? 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The less we know about Ginaz, the better. Brian Herbert wrote a book about Duncan Idaho at the Swordmasters school....and ruined it.  ? 

I tried reading one of his prequel books a long time ago and it was just dreadful. Supposedly Villaneuve is actually doing three movies with Messiah being the 3rd.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I tried reading one of his prequel books a long time ago and it was just dreadful. Supposedly Villaneuve is actually doing three movies with Messiah being the 3rd.

I hope so. I wonder if Momoa was signed to a multi-movie deal? That would be interesting....But in all honesty, the later story gets really out there. No-Ships and Kwizatz Haderach Gholas and Hybrid Leto. Weird stuff. ?