T0mShane

Movies We've Seen Thread

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Everyone is going crazy about that Bird Box movie with Sandra Bullock in it. 

It's good, but it suffers from the inevitable comparisons to A Quiet Place that are totally out of its control, not to mention the book for Birdbox was written first.

That said, they should have decontextualized the plot a little bit. They spend so much time explaining details through flashbacks that the storytelling comes across as lazy. Worth noting that's how it's done in the book, but not everything that works in a book works for a movie and vice versa. They clearly could have scaled back the script and even the effects a little bit and it would have gone a long way because Sandra Bullock really kills it and elevates the suspense for all the present tense stuff.

They also made no effort to distinguish it stylistically from AQP either, so at least for me it comes across like a disingenuous effort to capitalize on that movie's success. It looks and feels like the same movie with not being able to use one of your senses kind of being treated as a MacGuffin. I don't think any of this was intentional, but they also should have known better.

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You were supposed to get the lame ending first. That's the point. The characters become self-aware as you become self-aware.

I noticed that but I've looked into the choices we made and there are 3 major branches that lead to very different endings. 

Accept and follow colin for example 

There are a trillion variations. 

Not sure I have time for that but maybe 10 

15 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Everyone is going crazy about that Bird Box movie with Sandra Bullock in it. 

Watched it the other night with my family. Probably the most non-horror filled horror flick I've ever seen.  Completely preposterous concept (Yeah, little kids and Sandy B. walking around the forest, or navigating a river, blindfolded), too long, and flat out boring in spots.  Almost like they cobbled together a few weak stories to create one large disaster.  

Found “The Proposition” with Guy Pearce and Ray Winstone on Prime last night. I had forgotten how much I liked it when I first saw it, and loved it even more almost 15 years later. I also had no idea it was written by Nick Cave. Winstone is particularly great, but John Hurt and Danny Huston steal every scene they’re in. 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:41 AM, munchmemory said:

Watched it the other night with my family. Probably the most non-horror filled horror flick I've ever seen.  Completely preposterous concept (Yeah, little kids and Sandy B. walking around the forest, or navigating a river, blindfolded), too long, and flat out boring in spots.  Almost like they cobbled together a few weak stories to create one large disaster.  

The first 15 minutes were pretty cool and then it just went to crap. 

Ending was so bad 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Found “The Proposition” with Guy Pearce and Ray Winstone on Prime last night. I had forgotten how much I liked it when I first saw it, and loved it even more almost 15 years later. I also had no idea it was written by Nick Cave. Winstone is particularly great, but John Hurt and Danny Huston steal every scene they’re in. 

I'm gonna call bullsh*t on this one on account of you claiming to like a movie.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm gonna call bullsh*t on this one on account of you claiming to like a movie.

Yes yes but there are five or six that made it through the hate-filled blood orgy of my mind to be deemed “good sh*t”

13 hours ago, Larz said:

The first 15 minutes were pretty cool and then it just went to crap. 

Ending was so bad 

Exactly.  Opening was totally insane and captivating.  Then it became the dull/stupid movie that wouldn't end.  I love how they even tried to throw in a romantic moment between sandy and the male protagonist at the last minute.  So amateurishly done.  Unlike A Quiet Place which was done so well and plausible.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:04 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Aquaman is very bad. In a pretty funny way though. 

I thought it was ok in parts.   It was so amazingly predictable.  

Pretty to look at, the music was the worst score I have ever heard from a movie.

On 1/10/2019 at 3:50 PM, chirorob said:

I thought it was ok in parts.   It was so amazingly predictable.  

Pretty to look at, the music was the worst score I have ever heard from a movie.

It was by far the worst movie I've seen in the past 5 years.