Jump to content
T0mShane

Movies We've Seen Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Have to have to have to see this.

 

My son was talking to us about this documentary.  We almost went when it played by us when he was home for Winter break.  Limited release I think.  Looks incredible and a must see.   Thanks for reminding me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Have to have to have to see this.

 

I saw Gallipoli in the theatre when I was 10 and was inconsolable at the end of the movie. WWI is the saddest war. Millions killed in periods as short as a week charging fixed positions over open ground, it was like the worst of D-Day.....but every day. For years and at an unimaginable scale.

 

This is a must see movie. I think the First World War gets about half of a page in elementary school textbooks nowadays.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I saw Gallipoli in the theatre when I was 10 and was inconsolable at the end of the movie. WWI is the saddest war. Millions killed in periods as short as a week charging fixed positions over open ground, it was like the worst of D-Day.....but every day. For years and at an unimaginable scale.

 

This is a must see movie. I think the First World War gets about half of a page in elementary school textbooks nowadays.....

It is amazing.   People don't even know who we fought, or why, or anything about it.

At the height of the war, life expectancy in the trenches was 6 weeks.   Just brutal, disease, as you said, charging through "no man's land", poison gas.   Truly horrific stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chirorob said:

It is amazing.   People don't even know who we fought, or why, or anything about it.

At the height of the war, life expectancy in the trenches was 6 weeks.   Just brutal, disease, as you said, charging through "no man's land", poison gas.   Truly horrific stuff.

My Grandfather was in the Navy during WW1, served in the North Atlantic on a Four Stacker Destroyer. His brother, my Great-Uncle Harry was in the trenches and at Second Battle of the Marne... crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhhmm ...feels a bit out of place to say after those posts .. But just saw the animated spider-man movie with my kid ... Was happily surprised with the job they did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched A Star Is Born. Lady Gaga should win an Oscar, and I enjoyed the first 80% of the movie, but they made every safe, chickensh*t narrative choice they could at the end when they should have had the guts to drop the hammer in a few spots. It went from a potential classic film to some Hallmark Channel tripe. Gay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 9:46 PM, T0mShane said:

I just watched A Star Is Born. Lady Gaga should win an Oscar, and I enjoyed the first 80% of the movie, but they made every safe, chickensh*t narrative choice they could at the end when they should have had the guts to drop the hammer in a few spots. It went from a potential classic film to some Hallmark Channel tripe. Gay.

Sorry, no one could replace Babs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the misfortune of watching Mother the other day.  Being generous, I thought it was a train wreck.

Reading reviews, folks are in three very distinct camps: Loved it, hated it, found it laughable.   I'm in the last two.  I went from wanting to scream at it's heavy handed attempt at allegory to laughing at the director's execution.  At one point, I turned to my wife and said that if I had Darren Aronofsky in front of me I'd punch him in the face. 

The one saving grace was enjoying Jennifer Lawrence walking around in a very sheer night shirt.  J-Law's performance was just mediocre, especially for her.  Most likely from trying to comprehend WTF Aronofsky was attempting to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bohemian Rhapsody - fun.  I didnt think it was best picture worthy or anything like that but an enjoyable movie about a great performer and band.

Sorry to Bother You - so weird and strange but I kind of liked it.  It's a twisted view on capitalism, diversity in the work place and just some out of left field bizarre strange sh*t.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a heads up:

Briefly, every year before the Oscars, limited theaters run the year's nominated shorts. There are about 5 of them and total length is about a full movie. There is one for live film and one for animation. Highly recommended by us Crimsons.  

It only lasts a few days and starts Friday. Alamo Drafthouse in Yonkers has them but as said, on a very limited basis. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Battle Angel Alita. (I'm sorry, I'm not using the Hollywood version of the title)

I went in expecting the usual Hollywood bastardization of the source material, resulting in a mess.

I an happy to say I was wrong. Excellent film.

Giant eyed robot girls weird me out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Battle Angel Alita. (I'm sorry, I'm not using the Hollywood version of the title)

I went in expecting the usual Hollywood bastardization of the source material, resulting in a mess.

I an happy to say I was wrong. Excellent film.

This seems to be the general consensus from everyone I know that's seen it. Have to say it's great to hear, it's been a long time since Robert Rodriguez made something entertaining. He used to be one of the real risk takers in Hollywood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 5:49 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

the doc on Netflix called abducted in plain sight might be the most batsh it story I have ever seen. def check it out. 

I had read an article on it and saw your post - decided to check it out last nite w/ wife who every 5 mins kept saying  "wtf" and "why?" - truly messed up sheeyat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 10:37 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Just watched The Accountant for the first time. Autistic Jack Reacher. Loved it.

As a CPA, I saw it and in first 15 minutes was like.... here we go, gonna make accountants look like assholes.  That changed quickly.  I heard they are doing a sequal.  Enjoyed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

As a CPA, I saw it and in first 15 minutes was like.... here we go, gonna make accountants look like assholes.  That changed quickly.  I heard they are doing a sexual.  Enjoyed it. 

A sexual? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally saw First Man, wife and I watched. Huge NASA/Space Exploration nerd, saw The Right Stuff in the theatre at 12, my favorite movie ever. 

 

This was a really, really good movie. I don't know how much liberty was taken in depicting Armstrongs very private life, but that was a rivieting film. The flight sequences were amazing, and knowing what was going to happen to some of the characters was gut wrenching. I had an actual stomach ache when Apollo 1 was getting into the Capsule.

 

 

This was the spiritual sequel to TRS, I just wish the ending wasnt quite so abrupt, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went and saw the Peter Jackson They Shall Not Grow Old.

Wow.   Amazing what they were able to do with the old footage.  All the dialogue is taken from interviews with the actual soldiers who were there.   It is eye opening, just amazing stuff.   After the movie, they have an extra 20 minute optional thing of how they did it, and that was 100% worth watching as well.   I really, really recommend seeing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lego Movie 2: The Second Part was a ton of fun.  Make fun of me all you want.  Just make sure you see it.  And watch the first one if you haven't already.

My kids really liked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 6:49 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

the doc on Netflix called abducted in plain sight might be the most batsh it story I have ever seen. def check it out. 

DUDE!!!!  WTF!!!????!!!!  CRAZY!!!!!

I'm still trying to figure out how those parents were allowed to keep their children after that story.  My gawd.  Sure, dude was a master manipulator but that whole situation was 99% their fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JiF said:

DUDE!!!!  WTF!!!????!!!!  CRAZY!!!!!

I'm still trying to figure out how those parents were allowed to keep their children after that story.  My gawd.  Sure, dude was a master manipulator but that whole situation was 99% their fault. 

lol - he turned the husband gay......lawdy lawdy!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JiF said:

DUDE!!!!  WTF!!!????!!!!  CRAZY!!!!!

I'm still trying to figure out how those parents were allowed to keep their children after that story.  My gawd.  Sure, dude was a master manipulator but that whole situation was 99% their fault. 

i literally yelled no way like 5 times. those parents are the worst to ever procreate. just a bunch of dopes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×