Movies We've Seen Thread

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Watched The Harder They Fall last night, the Netflix revisionist western starring Idris Elba (mostly in a cameo role). 

Gotta say, pretty damn entertaining. A mostly all black cast (I hope I can say that, right, not African American because Elba is British) but it totally worked. Very Quentin Tarantino-ish with supreme violent mixed in with clever dialogue (although Elba’s esoteric monologues could have been cut back by 30 seconds each). 

Some great character development, you LOVE some and hate some but it all works. Funny, sad, violent, treacherous, not preachy, just a solid shoot-em-up western with a different look than we’ve typically been fed. 

Delroy Lindo makes a triumphant return to the big screen and Zazie Beetz is a doll.  

Deserves the number 1 slot for a week or 2. 

Honestly a bit surprised how good some Netflix originals have been. 

Thanks for this review.  Just added it to my queue.  You had me at Tarantino-ish and Zazie Beetz.  She's adorable and a very good actress.  Plus, my wife would throw me out a window for a shot at Idris Alba.

On 11/6/2021 at 11:22 PM, Fantasy Island said:

Took my daughter to see Eternals today, and it was awesome.  I really liked it a lot.

Eternals was just meh for me.  I don't know if it was because there were so many well known faces playing "superheros" that I could not get past or because I grew up with popular  Marvel comics in the late 70s and 80s, so I'm emotionally invested in heros like Iron Man, Hulk, Spidey, Cap.  Watching the movie, I just really did not care that much about what happened to these characters.

10 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Eternals was just meh for me.  I don't know if it was because there were so many well known faces playing "superheros" that I could not get past or because I grew up with popular  Marvel comics in the late 70s and 80s, so I'm emotionally invested in heros like Iron Man, Hulk, Spidey, Cap.  Watching the movie, I just really did not care that much about what happened to these characters.

While I enjoyed it, I think more people are going to feel the way you do. Its hard to get people vested into 10 new characters in a 2.5 hour movie. 

• Upvote 1

So I was the last person to see django unchained lol. My wife hates those movies and my kids were way too young when it came out

typic tarrentino with the super intense scenes that make you squirm. I’m at the age where exploding body parts just doesn’t work on me. I prefer less gore. 

Really just came here to say omfg not just a Jim Croce song, but my favorite!!!  

Watched Army of Thieves last night....the sort of prequel to Army of the Dead.  Dieter is a great character and I'm glad they gave him this stand alone movie.

Really liked it.  so much better then Army of the Dead.  It probably helps that Ruby O. Fee is in the movie and I can stare at her for hours on end.

Ruby O. Fee (from Polar): gentlemanboners

WDR-Dreharbeiten zu Tatort Köln „Kartenhaus“ -8660.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2021 at 1:34 PM, Peace Frog said:

Watched The Harder They Fall last night, the Netflix revisionist western starring Idris Elba (mostly in a cameo role). 

Gotta say, pretty damn entertaining. A mostly all black cast (I hope I can say that, right, not African American because Elba is British) but it totally worked. Very Quentin Tarantino-ish with supreme violent mixed in with clever dialogue (although Elba’s esoteric monologues could have been cut back by 30 seconds each). 

Some great character development, you LOVE some and hate some but it all works. Funny, sad, violent, treacherous, not preachy, just a solid shoot-em-up western with a different look than we’ve typically been fed. 

Delroy Lindo makes a triumphant return to the big screen and Zazie Beetz is a doll.  

Delroy Lindo is my favorite actor ever:

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Watched Army of Thieves last night....the sort of prequel to Army of the Dead.  Dieter is a great character and I'm glad they gave him this stand alone movie.

Really liked it.  so much better then Army of the Dead.  It probably helps that Ruby O. Fee is in the movie and I can stare at her for hours on end.

Ruby O. Fee (from Polar): gentlemanboners

WDR-Dreharbeiten zu Tatort Köln „Kartenhaus“ -8660.jpg

Never heard of her, but I'm a fan now! I'm not gonna lie, I'm excited for Hawkeye solely to watch Hailee Steinfeld

huge_avatar.jpg.edf63513485ea294e5e303b17afd8dc5.jpgimages.jpg.3716e8f728b98cec09ceb617463aaccb.jpg

• Upvote 1

We watched FOUND on Netflix a few nights ago. It's a documentary about Chinese girls orphaned when the gov there had a one child quota on families and many kids esp girls were orphaned. It follows current high school girls adopted by US families when they were babies as they try with the help of adopted parents to find their birth parents. I thought the movie  was too long and more of a tear jerker than it had to be. The US parents were very nice to the kids, treated them like their own that was one thing that came out during the film on a positive note that I liked. And Chinese parents who gave up their kids mostly because of a gov mandate and financial pressure (I think they said the gov charged $8500 per kid over their limit of one) also seemed to care a lot about the children they gave up for adoption. 

20 hours ago, maury77 said:

Never heard of her, but I'm a fan now! I'm not gonna lie, I'm excited for Hawkeye solely to watch Hailee Steinfeld

Check out "Polar" on Netflix.

Well, maybe not check it out, but just fast forward to a certain scene with her about half-way through the movie.

daffy duck masturbation GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We watched Apocalypto tonight a 2006 movie directed by Mel Gibson about a village in Mayan Mexico (about 1500) attacked by a group of marauders killing or imprisoning everyone except the children who were allowed to live but left by themselves. Those adults who survived were marched to an area and either sold in slavery or sent for human sacrifice in a bizarre ritual the purpose of which was to appease the gods to ensure crops would grow and ward off disease etc. I don’t know much about Mayan culture but I knew a little about the sacrifices and brutality of them. You kind of could predict the final results there was a hero (captured) his pregnant wife and child trapped in a deep ditch and all kinds of sudden occurrences like an eclipse just when he was going to be sacrificed that were improbable. Plus other dramatic events that also were too contrived to be realistic. I missed a key line at the end of the movie when ships from one of the European nations probably Spain were coming ashore much to the amazement of the Mayans who saw them and didn’t know who they were. It kind of came out of nowhere. The line of the key character trying to survive and get away from his antagonists when he saw the ships was something to the effect that it was a change and a change for the better “a new beginning.” If you know anything about colonization it wasn’t, the exact opposite, as brutal as tactics of the Mayans. Not a surprise saying the colonists were the good guys if you know anything about Mel Gibson. 

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We watched Apocalypto tonight a 2006 movie directed by Mel Gibson about a village in Mayan Mexico (about 1500) attacked by a group of marauders killing or imprisoning everyone except the children who were allowed to live but left by themselves. Those adults who survived were marched to an area and either sold in slavery or sent for human sacrifice in a bizarre ritual the purpose of which was to appease the gods to ensure crops would grow and ward off disease etc. I don’t know much about Mayan culture but I knew a little about the sacrifices and brutality of them. You kind of could predict the final results there was a hero (captured) his pregnant wife and child trapped in a deep ditch and all kinds of sudden occurrences like an eclipse just when he was going to be sacrificed that were improbable. Plus other dramatic events that also were too contrived to be realistic. I missed a key line at the end of the movie when ships from one of the European nations probably Spain were coming ashore much to the amazement of the Mayans who saw them and didn’t know who they were. It kind of came out of nowhere. The line of the key character trying to survive and get away from his antagonists when he saw the ships was something to the effect that it was a change and a change for the better “a new beginning.” If you know anything about colonization it wasn’t, the exact opposite, as brutal as tactics of the Mayans. Not a surprise saying the colonists were the good guys if you know anything about Mel Gibson. 

I thought it was a visually fantastic and intense movie.  I like a bit of unrealism in my movies.  Reality kind of sucks these days.

• Upvote 2

Bond.  James Bond. No Day to Die.

Awful.  Plain awful.  How a Franchise Dies.

Just long and boring, the patented opening chase scene before the waivering gun was almost non-existent (although Matera is beautiful and they brough back his original DB5 Aston Martin).

Don't get why people think Rami Malek is a great actor--he was outstanding as Freddy Mercury but I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else that he was even good in.  Such deadpan delivery of all his lines.  Just not a very scary bad guy.

Ana De Armas and Lea Sedoux are gorgeous but Ana is only in it for about 5 mins.  Only thing that could have saved the movie is if they got topless.

Daniel Craig was good but not at the top of his game.  The bioweapon was dumb.  

And the ending (no spoiler) and where the franchise will be going is too woke and will kill the Bond franchsie.

It will Die Another Day.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I thought it was a visually fantastic and intense movie.  I like a bit of unrealism in my movies.  Reality kind of sucks these days.

I think you're right it was a very interesting and engrossing movie. And visually stunning well directed by Mel Gibson. But the script was too improbable you know they are trying to fill a time slot and lead the audience on with dramatic scenes but sometimes I felt fell flat. But the ending with the ships arriving and I think a church envoy coming ashore and the lead character saying to his wife it's a new beginning after dealing with the brutality of their own people gives a fake historical narrative. Because we all know this never happened the colonists (and the church) were at least as terrible as the Mayans (who were depicted in this movie as crazed heathens). I know that some groups in Mexico protested against this movie and that portrayal. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think you're right it was a very interesting and engrossing movie. And visually stunning well directed by Mel Gibson. But the script was too improbable you know they are trying to fill a time spot and lead the audience on with dramatic scenes but sometimes I felt fell flat. But the ending with the ships arriving and I think a church envoy coming ashore and the lead character saying to his wife it's a new beginning after dealing with the brutality of their own people gives a fake historical narrative. Because we all know this never happened the colonists (and the church) were at least as terrible as the Mayans (who were depicted in this movie as crazed heathens). I know that some groups in Mexico protested against this movie and that portrayal. 

I just liked the dude getting his head/skull crunched by the panther lol.

5 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Just long and boring, the patented opening chase scene before the waivering gun was almost non-existent (although Matera is beautiful and they brough back his original DB5 Aston Martin).

Don't get why people think Rami Malek is a great actor--he was outstanding as Freddy Mercury but I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else that he was even good in.  Such deadpan delivery of all his lines.  Just not a very scary bad guy.

Ana De Armas and Lea Sedoux are gorgeous but Ana is only in it for about 5 mins.  Only thing that could have saved the movie is if they got topless in a 20 minute long, full lingual/tribbing lesbian odyssey

And the ending (no spoiler) and where the franchise will be going is too woke and will kill the Bond franchsie.

It will Die Another Day.  

Fixed.

I loved King Richard and I think that because it’s Will Smith it’s a movie that takes a lot more risks than it will get credit for. Ballsy flick with a ton of heart and the right message; the detailed portrayal of the world of youth tennis factories. The way they dichotomized that world against what a black family would have access to and what that meant for their path was so well written. IMO really one of the better sports movies of this century. 

On 11/7/2021 at 4:34 PM, Peace Frog said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Highly entertaining.  The all star cast didnt hurt; everyone really killed their roles.  LaKeith Stanfield and Jonathan Majors are 2 of my very favorite actors.  They both have incredible depth.  Elba and Lindo are awesome in anything.  Regina King killed it and any time Zazie Beetz is on the screen, I drool, so hawt and Danielle Deadwyler is just incredible in everything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Highly entertaining.  The all star cast didnt hurt; everyone really killed their roles.  LaKeith Stanfield and Jonathan Majors are 2 of my very favorite actors.  They both have incredible depth.  Elba and Lindo are awesome in anything.  Regina King killed it and any time Zazie Beetz is on the screen, I drool, so hawt and Danielle Deadwyler is just incredible in everything.

I think some of Elba’s monologues could have been cut by 15-20 seconds but I love the dude. Luther is one of my favorite British crime mini-series. 

HE should be the next Bond. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, Peace Frog said:

Ana De Armas and Lea Sedoux are gorgeous but Ana is only in it for about 5 mins.  Only thing that could have saved the movie is if they got topless.

It will Die Another Day.  

I’ll never understand why the hell everyone loves Craig as Bond.

Duller than f*cking dirt

Skyfall was good, but not because of Craig. It was just a well made Bond flick with Bardem playing the best Bond villain in recent memory.

Even if you are unfamiliar with the band Sparks and their 50 year musical odyssey, you will enjoy Edgar Wright's documentary, "The Sparks Brothers" on Netflix.   It's an entertaining journey from the bands' start to the present.   Really showcases their songwriting genius, constantly changing musical approach, longevity and humor. I had Sparks first three albums, but there are so many others I now need to explore.  10/10

Currently, other than Scorsese, no one better with music and film than Wright.  His "Baby Driver" is just stunning in its use of musical "choreography".

We just watched tik tik boom on Netflix. It’s based on the autobiographical musical by Jonathan Larson and directed by Lin Miranda. Highly recommended and well done esp if you’re a fan of Jonathan Larson. My only regret was there was none of the music of Rent. And not much in this story on how that show evolved it was pretty much pre RENT just Larson’s personal involvement through his many friends during the 80’s and the AIDS epidemic. IMO this show and the music were OK while RENT was great. The story I heard was that a theater acquaintance of Larson had an idea to do a project for a musical adaptation of La Boheme and Larson took over the project and set it in the East Village in the 80’s and AIDS. I got interested in it after my daughter got a part in RENT with a small theater company out here on Long Island. She played Maureen a great character in that show and she did a good job. 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We just watched tik tik boom on Netflix. It’s based on the autobiographical musical by Jonathan Larson and directed by Lin Miranda. Highly recommended and well done esp if you’re a fan of Jonathan Larson. My only regret was there was none of the music of Rent. And not much in this story on how that show evolved it was pretty much pre RENT just Larson’s personal involvement through his many friends during the 80’s and the AIDS epidemic. IMO this show and the music were OK while RENT was great. The story I heard was that a theater acquaintance of Larson had an idea to do a project for a musical adaptation of La Boheme and Larson took over the project and set it in the East Village in the 80’s and AIDS. I got interested in it after my daughter got a part in RENT with a small theater company out here on Long Island. She played Maureen a great character in that show and she did a good job. 

Watched the flick on Friday.    In my family, we're all huge fans of Rent.  Great story with incredible, emotional, music.   Did not know much about Larson or his other works, so really appreciated the story behind this movie.

Biggest surprise for us was how well Andrew Garfield can sing and perform.  He was wonderful in the role, as was Robin de Jesus as his best friend, Michael.  And how gorgeous is Alexandra Shipp?  

Kudos to your daughter for snagging the role of Maureen in that local production.  The role requires her to act well and sing a bunch of tough songs.  She must be very talented.

• Upvote 1