T0mShane

Movies We've Seen Thread

Had a chance to watch The Town again. It's sneakily almost a classic. The rewatchability on it is through the roof. Solid plot. Great cast (even the cameos are awesome. Blake Lively making sex noises, Chris Cooper, Kobayashi from The Usual Suspects). Affleck kills it from the director's chair. Good amount of unintentional comedy. Bad a$ car chase. Renner delivers what's a classic performance, ("If we get jammed up, we're holding court in the street."). The "I need your help" scene is already going down as an all-timer. It's similar to Heat but not too similar because it doesn't come off like it's jocking. On top of that I've heard people still either talking about it or quoting it out at the bars here and there. Passes all the smell tests me thinks. One of those flicks I think mostly everyone's going to be watching whenever it's on TV forever.

I watched this the other day on this recommendation. I was originally skeptical of watching it, I think because I just really don't like Ben Affleck very much.

After watching it, I still don't like Ben Affleck.

I think the movie would've been much better if he hadn't cast himself as this criminal mastermind with the big heart who gets away in the end - but he's such a morally strong criminal that he doesn't even need to keep the money, which instead gets donated to charity. There was a lot to like about the film. I really liked the supporting cast, I thought the action was really good. But Affleck's character was just total BS. Worst thing about the movie.

I watched this the other day on this recommendation. I was originally skeptical of watching it, I think because I just really don't like Ben Affleck very much.

After watching it, I still don't like Ben Affleck.

I think the movie would've been much better if he hadn't cast himself as this criminal mastermind with the big heart who gets away in the end - but he's such a morally strong criminal that he doesn't even need to keep the money, which instead gets donated to charity. There was a lot to like about the film. I really liked the supporting cast, I thought the action was really good. But Affleck's character was just total BS. Worst thing about the movie.

I liked The Town. However, being from the area, and having worked in the area where the armored car robbery and chase scene occurred, I can tell you without an ounce of doubt that 1) NO WAY the North End area would have so few people walking around at the time of the robbery. 2) NO WAY did the car chase scene gone down the way they showed. Where the chase was, and where they ended up taking the turn onto the bridge makes no sense.

I actually worked in that area when they were filming. The crew set up shop in a park behind my buidling. I used to walk around at lunch sometimes and see the crews filming and scouting throughtout the North End. It was kind of neat.

I think Renner's performance was brilliant. Between this flick and his performance in the Hurt Locker, well, let's just say the man can act. His performace was superior to Afflecks....and the accent was better too. Suprising how bad Affleck's Boston accent can be since he's from Cambridge.

My favorite lines:

Doug: "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Gem: "Whose car are we gonna take?"

_________

Frawley: "Jesus Chirst, Henry. Oxy, guns? It's like Townie Christmas."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Garb

I think Renner's performance was brilliant. Between this flick and his performance in the Hurt Locker, well, let's just say the man can act.

You should check him out in Dahmer, you knew he had the chops.

Been getting into The Happening recently. The unintentional comedy is through the roof. I don't know if too many movies rank this high on the "so bad it's a comedy" scale. Wahlberg's faces alone make it worth the time.

Been getting into The Happening recently. The unintentional comedy is through the roof. I don't know if too many movies rank this high on the "so bad it's a comedy" scale. Wahlberg's faces alone make it worth the time.

How's your mother?

I love bad movies. If you get a chance, check this one out.

l

He starred in a very good movie about a Dublin crime boss called "The General". Also has a nice turn by Jon VOight as the the detective who chases him.

Beat me to it. I was just about to recommend "The General". I've seen it a few times and just started reading the book on which it was based which should have more details. Martin Cahill was the real life mobster that he portrayed and when you look at some of the pics of Cahill in the book, his resemblence to the character in the movie is unreal. Can't wait to see "The Guard".

Finally caught Kevin Smith's Red State. It's unlike anything he's ever done before. It's not bad, but the ending seemed kind of thrown on.

Michael Parks was absolutely awesome in it though.

I don't know if Drive is the best movie of the year, but I'm really struggling to think of anything that's been better than it.

It looked ridiculous in the previews, but it's getting amazing reviews. I expect to see it tonight or tomorrow.

I liked The Town. However, being from the area, and having worked in the area where the armored car robbery and chase scene occurred, I can tell you without an ounce of doubt that 1) NO WAY the North End area would have so few people walking around at the time of the robbery. 2) NO WAY did the car chase scene gone down the way they showed. Where the chase was, and where they ended up taking the turn onto the bridge makes no sense.

I actually worked in that area when they were filming. The crew set up shop in a park behind my buidling. I used to walk around at lunch sometimes and see the crews filming and scouting throughtout the North End. It was kind of neat.

I think Renner's performance was brilliant. Between this flick and his performance in the Hurt Locker, well, let's just say the man can act. His performace was superior to Afflecks....and the accent was better too. Suprising how bad Affleck's Boston accent can be since he's from Cambridge.

My favorite lines:

Doug: "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Gem: "Whose car are we gonna take?"

_________

Frawley: "Jesus Chirst, Henry. Oxy, guns? It's like Townie Christmas."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but a lot of people who watched this movie do not live in Bawshton!

I usually hate seeing movies with that accent from that region. But ended up watching this movie based on the great reviews i was getting from my friends and did not regret it. Plus the chick Ben's character is dating is cute as hell.

Ben seems to making quite a few decent movies. Wasn't he involved in producing "Gone Baby Gone" which was a very engaging movie as well.

It looked ridiculous in the previews, but it's getting amazing reviews. I expect to see it tonight or tomorrow.

Won't spoil anything for anyone. All I'll say is that it's one of those flicks that's just refreshing...reminds you that movies can still be unapologetic to audiences in the interest of being original and good without a comic book basis. It's just a good movie. REALLY good. One of those that just feels like a breath of fresh air and you can't wait until you can watch it a couple more times.

I hate to say this because he'll forever be the dude from The Notebook that chicks wouldn't shut up about in college, but between this and Blue Valentine last year, Ryan Gosling has got to be one of the better guys at picking projects these days. I also thought he was great in Fracture, pretty surprised that movie flew under the radar so much, I enjoyed it a lot and thought it was extremely well made. Half Nelson also.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Won't spoil anything for anyone. All I'll say is that it's one of those flicks that's just refreshing...reminds you that movies can still be unapologetic to audiences in the interest of being original and good without a comic book basis. It's just a good movie. REALLY good. One of those that just feels like a breath of fresh air and you can't wait until you can watch it a couple more times.

I agree. You definitely come away from it thinking, I hope they make more movies like this. The trailers didn't do it credit. There's plenty of action, but this is a serious, calculating film. Really enjoyed it. Albert Brooks was great - much better than his face lift.

I hate to say this because he'll forever be the dude from The Notebook that chicks wouldn't shut up about in college, but between this and Blue Valentine last year, Ryan Gosling has got to be one of the better guys at picking projects these days. I also thought he was great in Fracture, pretty surprised that movie flew under the radar so much, I enjoyed it a lot and thought it was extremely well made. Half Nelson also.

I've gone back and checked out movies mentioned in this thread (Gone Baby Gone > The Town, IMHO), and I'll do the same with these.

If you wanna check out a good, strange, off beat, low key comedy with Ryan Gosling, see Lars and the Real Girl. I'd seen it years ago and didn't realize it was the same actor until I looked him up on imdb when I got home. It's a movie that sticks with you, though.

I don't know if Drive is the best movie of the year, but I'm really struggling to think of anything that's been better than it.

I didn't love it. I think Gosling is a great actor, but watching him intentionally mug and mumble his way through this one got on my nerves about 45 minutes in. It's one of those films where you appreciate what it's trying to do artistically, but you can't get past the overt pretense.

Edited by T0mShane

I've gone back and checked out movies mentioned in this thread (Gone Baby Gone > The Town, IMHO), and I'll do the same with these.

If you wanna check out a good, strange, off beat, low key comedy with Ryan Gosling, see Lars and the Real Girl. I'd seen it years ago and didn't realize it was the same actor until I looked him up on imdb when I got home. It's a movie that sticks with you, though.

Truth on GBG vs The Town. I was surprised RJF skipped over Lars and the Real Girl when talking about Gosling before. It's really a good movie.

Contagion or Drive, which one should I venture out to see?

Edited by SenorGato

I didn't love it. I think Gosling is a great actor, but watching him intentionally mug and mumble his way through this one got on my nerves about 45 minutes in. It's one of those films where you appreciate what it's trying to do artistically, but you can't get past the overt pretense.

That's what I liked about it though. They did it that way on purpose.

That's what I liked about it though. They did it that way on purpose.

I'm going to see it again. I think I just walked into it expecting an entirely different (more mindless) experience and couldn't adjust. In retrospect, I wasn't in the right frame of mind for it.

Also, I saw Contagion. Very well done and consciously realistic, which also made it kinda boring. If a huge viral outbreak were to occur, I'd imagine this is exactly how it would look. In a way, I'm almost glad they didn't shoehorn in some fugazi fix-everything protagonist, but as a result you never find one player to root for.

Never heard of it. Is that the new Taylor Lautner flick?

Sat through the preview of that flick. Could possibly contend for worst movie ever made. That they couldn't find footage of Lautner delivering even three or four credible lines was disturbing, but not as disturbing as seeing Sigourney Weaver having to play off him.

Sat through the preview of that flick. Could possibly contend for worst movie ever made. That they couldn't find footage of Lautner delivering even three or four credible lines was disturbing, but not as disturbing as seeing Sigourney Weaver having to play off him.

Yarbles! Great bolshy yarblockos to you.