Movies We've Seen Thread

Yea, he's really mailed in his movies since. Used to really enjoy when his new movies came out. I think we can all agree his best role was as Snow:

I caught Fun With Dick and Jane on FX the other day, never saw it before. First time I had a comedy almost bring me to tears of sadness. I felt like Lloyd Bentson watching that abortion. I grew up with Jim Carrey. I knew Jim Carrey. And whoever is on my TV screen, you are no Jim Carrey.

Agreed, Ed wood is clearly his masterpiece. And while I love pretty much everything Nolan has touched, I think I'd put Edward Scissorhands ahead of The Prestige and on par with Insomnia (awesome and very underrated movie), even though I liked both of them. I personally though Big fish was overrated, but I'd say that's prestige-esque. And while not brilliant, I liked Depp and Ricci's performance in Sleep Hallow. Definitely agree that Burton has pushed out some crap and isn't on Nolan's level though.

I liked Edward Scissorhands when I was 9 and dumb. I can't even get halfway through it anymore as an adult. Big Fish is classic Burton. Gibbering expressionism to compensate for horrible scripts and mindless story lines. He's emblematic of everything that's been wrong with American cinema since George Lucas made good special effects possible; appeal to visual senses first because it's easier than good story telling. His Batman, (again, like almost everything he's made), was visually beautiful but the story was so weak and filled with one gap after another. The guy couldn't pull off a script like Memento on his best day, and certainly not a story as complex and layered as TDK was.

Nolan's the hot hand right now, but I don't think there was anything wrong about Burton's interpretation so much as it is different.

That's because you smoke a lot of weed. Anything Tim Burton makes is going to look awesome when you're stoned. It's why you think Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and John Carter are great.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

I caught Fun With Dick and Jane on FX the other day, never saw it before. First time I had a comedy almost bring me to tears of sadness. I felt like Lloyd Bentson watching that abortion. I grew up with Jim Carrey. I knew Jim Carrey. And whoever is on my TV screen, you are no Jim Carrey.

I liked Edward Scissorhands when I was 9 and dumb. I can't even get halfway through it anymore as an adult. Big Fish is classic Burton. Gibbering expressionism to compensate for horrible scripts and mindless story lines. He's emblematic of everything that's been wrong with American cinema since George Lucas made good special effects possible; appeal to visual senses first because it's easier than good story telling. His Batman, (again, like almost everything he's made), was visually beautiful but the story was so weak and filled with one gap after another. The guy couldn't pull off a script like Memento on his best day, and certainly not a story as complex and layered as TDK was.

Admittedly, haven't seen Edward Scissorhands in a while, I just remember enjoying a fresh new idea and Depp's performance; if his script was half as good as his design, that and beetlejuice would have been classics (well, at least the half with Michael Keaton...the other half just sucked). I wasn't a fan of Big Fish, that was just more my indictment of The Prestige; maybe it was the casting or the characters being sort of one-dimensional, but I just didn't care for it as much as everyone else seemed to. Or maybe it was just that I preferred Edward Norton and the Illusionist and I was just biased against another Magician movie.

Loved memento, absolutely brilliant. I went out and rented it immediately after my Uncles and I watched Following, made me a fan of his ever since. Burton could never compete with Nolan, but I do think if Nolan had a chance he'd definitely do over some things with The Prestige and Insomnia. Neither of which are bad movies at all.

Edit: Thinking about it, I kind of don't want to re-watch Scissorhands or some of those movies I used to like, I'm perfectly fine naively thinking the movie is as good as it was back then..just like I do with MacGuyver.

Edited by BroadwayJoe12

Admittedly, haven't seen Edward Scissorhands in a while, I just remember enjoying a fresh new idea and Depp's performance; if his script was half as good as his design, that and beetlejuice would have been classics (well, at least the half with Michael Keaton...the other half just sucked). I wasn't a fan of Big Fish, that was just more my indictment of The Prestige; maybe it was the casting or the characters being sort of one-dimensional, but I just didn't care for it as much as everyone else seemed to. Or maybe it was just that I preferred Edward Norton and the Illusionist and I was just biased against another Magician movie.

Loved memento, absolutely brilliant. I went out and rented it immediately after my Uncles and I watched Following, made me a fan of his ever since. Burton could never compete with Nolan, but I do think if Nolan had a chance he'd definitely do over some things with The Prestige and Insomnia. Neither of which are bad movies at all.

Edit: Thinking about it, I kind of don't want to re-watch Scissorhands or some of those movies I used to like, I'm perfectly fine naively thinking the movie is as good as it was back then..just like I do with MacGuyver.

The guy's magic in terms of production design and effects. But he's just a bad story teller. I take his movies for what they are, mindless and visual. That's the last thing you could say about guys like Nolan and Paul Thomas Anderson. You watch their films and see guys who've truly turned story telling into a craft, no way you can say that about Burton, and he's been doing it twice as long now while his movies have gotten progressively worse. It took everything I had to not stab myself in the jugular when an ex forced me to go see Alice in Wonderland.

And yeah, I'd hold off. Ever watched Independence Day as an adult? It's depressing as sh*t. Like you realize how retarded you are when you're a kid.

That's because you smoke a lot of weed. Anything Tim Burton makes is going to look awesome when you're stoned. It's why you think Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and John Carter are great.

Enjoyed Burton before I started burning the ganj. Like you said, the design and effects are always on point and I was but a wee lad during his peak, there to enjoy his best work.

They're not great, but entirely watchable.

Edited by SenorGato

macy is unbelievable in that

did you hear about the teaser trailer from comic con ?

gojira !

HOLY sh*t WHAT?!?!?

I will find.

Video not out yet?

I liked Edwards' Monsters alot...even own a copy somewhere. Prepare to be shocked...They're going to make this "realistic" rather than a straight sci-fi. I don't mind it because it will be awesome, but this little phase in movies is going to go away.

Edited by SenorGato

HOLY sh*t WHAT?!?!?

I will find.

Video not out yet?

I liked Edwards' Monsters alot...even own a copy somewhere. Prepare to be shocked...They're going to make this "realistic" rather than a straight sci-fi. I don't mind it because it will be awesome, but this little phase in movies is going to go away.

just a poster and a still shot. no iea when it's supposed to come out, probably next year

491932.jpg

Edited by Larz

The guy's magic in terms of production design and effects. But he's just a bad story teller. I take his movies for what they are, mindless and visual. That's the last thing you could say about guys like Nolan and Paul Thomas Anderson. You watch their films and see guys who've truly turned story telling into a craft, no way you can say that about Burton, and he's been doing it twice as long now while his movies have gotten progressively worse. It took everything I had to not stab myself in the jugular when an ex forced me to go see Alice in Wonderland.

And yeah, I'd hold off. Ever watched Independence Day as an adult? It's depressing as sh*t. Like you realize how retarded you are when you're a kid.

PTA, well played. Back in college after watching Boogie nights I went back and watched Hard Eight, well first I saw Cigarettes and Coffee thinking I downloaded Hard Eight, and Magnolia and he had me absolutely hooked where I'd see anything he put out. Then I had to sit through Punch Drunk Love and while I love PSH and Sandler gave a solid performance, I dunno, it just left me wanting more out of it. Then of course he blows me away with TWBB and now I cannot wait for The Master. He reminds me a lot of Fincher with how he reuses a lot of his actors; can't complain though with the quality of actors he reuses.

**Speaking of rewatching movies; saw Twister last night, still not a fan, but god damn do I love PSH, the man is a genius.

I was looking for this thread the other day because I didn't want to start a new one...

Saw Moonrise Kingdom over the weekend. If you're a fan of Wes Anderson, you will love this. It's like a greatest hits movie. Strong-willed outcast boy and a moody, aggressive, aware of her powers of femininity girl decide to run away from the world together. The movies reads like a picture book. You turn the pages on each scene. The "special effects," are purposely, decidedly unspecial. The cast is terrific with Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, and Frances McDormand. The whole package made for a charming coming of age movie.

Unless you hate Wes Anderson. Then you'll think it sucks.

Just saw this tonight. Was underwhelmed with the movie. I never know the directors or care what they do so I have nothing to like or dislike about Wes Anderson. It just didnt seem all that interesting or the story really develop into anything worthwhile or enjoyable. Kinda felt like I didnt get what he was doing (and it seems neither did the rest of the people in the theater.... they seemed just as lost as I was).

The acting was good and the scenery was well done. It wasnt a bad movie. It just wasnt for me.

**Speaking of rewatching movies; saw Twister last night, still not a fan, but god damn do I love PSH, the man is a genius.

Speaking of which, Synedoche, New York is another movie Tim Burton couldn't direct or write. Or anything by Charlie Kaufman for that matter. I can just imagine a staff member suggesting the burning house motif, with Burton just going all Josh Baskin on him, repeating "I don't get it."

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Speaking of which, Synedoche, New York is another movie Tim Burton couldn't direct or write. Or anything by Charlie Kaufman for that matter. I can just imagine a staff member suggesting the burning house motif, with Burton just going all Josh Baskin on him, repeating "I don't get it."

Tell me about it.

I haven't been to the moves in ages, but the other day I checked the thumbnail reviews in the Daily News. There were nine four star movies (nine?) and one five star movie (five?) I didn't think that Citizen Kane and Casablanca got five stars.

Watered down standards for all things.

Why wasn't/isn't Perfume a bigger movie than it was? Like Brotherhood of the Wolf it's just a beautifully shot movie that happens to be creepy, sexy, and I hate writing about movies because you end up saying sh*t like that.

Edited by SenorGato

You know who's underrated? Paul Bettany. I might just want his life (I have a schoolboy crush on Jennifer Connelly), because he can't actually carry a great movie. Good supporting actor in one THO.

Priest was pretty crappy, but I thought he was awesome in it.

All I know is this, if the midnight shows are any indicator of how TDKR is going to fare this weekend at the box office, it's probably going to blow away every box office record ever. I just spent 30 minutes trying to find a theater in the entire north side of Chicago that wasn't sold out until noon tomorrow. Even theaters showing 8 am shows are sold out in a few neighborhoods. Crazy.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

All I know is this, if the midnight shows are any indicator of how TDKR is going to fare this weekend at the box office, it's probably going to blow away every box office record ever. I just spent 30 minutes trying to find a theater in the entire north side of Chicago that wasn't sold out until noon tomorrow. Even theaters showing 8 am shows are sold out in a few neighborhoods. Crazy.

Im glad Im not one of those people who need to see a movie right away... Crazy ****ers!

Im glad Im not one of those people who need to see a movie right away... Crazy ****ers!

Only with Batman and Tarantino do I do this sh*t. I'll probably suck it up for Superman too. I'm a big Michael Shannon fan and I have a feeling he's going to be a sight to see as Zod.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Will wait til next week for DKR -- Only day off is Sunday and it will be insane to get a good seat. Have not been this excited for a movie since Jurassic Park but was disappointed with that one -- expected too much of the book I suppose.

The newest multiplex by me is showing it in 12 theaters tonight with starting times ranging from 12:01 to 12:55.

I anticipate hitting the matinée tomorrow.

The newest multiplex by me is showing it in 12 theaters tonight with starting times ranging from 12:01 to 12:55.

I anticipate hitting the matinée tomorrow.

Yeah, there's a bunch of theaters here doing the same thing. I read an article last night hypothesizing that it can't beat The Avengers' opening weekend because of The Avengers 3D revenue; but the estimates were based on total overall theaters, not the number of screens each theater may be showing it on.

I can't see it until Thursday and I want to die.

I have no idea where it ranks in the pantheon, all I know is that it's impossible to make a better movie than that. The whole thing is really something else. As far as a story arc goes, the best way I can describe it is paced. It's an incredibly elaborate plot that rounds out the entire trilogy like you'd never expect. It's Bale's best performance of the series and personally I think Oldman steals the show. Nolan wrote an internal struggle that Gordon's been dealing with that winds up putting the third act of The Dark Knight in an entirely different light.

I was already expecting awesome, but I was certainly not expecting a story that good. Nolan's done what everyone assumed could probably never happen in the past, he's made a comic book movie that will probably win Best Picture.

• Upvote 1

Just saw it. Very good story. Probably Bale's best acting performance in anything, range-wise, and Hathaway was hot as f*ck. I had some issues with the pacing and overall length, and I thought Nolan hit a few flat notes with an otherwise outstanding character in Bane. I'm going to see it again in a week when my expectations are lessened and I can be more internally objective about it.