Movies We've Seen Thread

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I didn't really love the airport fight. one of the central arguments of the movie (though quickly abandoned) was over the need for oversight of superhumans...and then the superhumans casually destroy an airport during what is, in effect, a scrimmage. 

no, it totally escalated way out of control.  Destroyed a whole airport.   Biggest hole in the movie.   But so awesome to watch

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I didn't really love the airport fight. one of the central arguments of the movie (though quickly abandoned) was over the need for oversight of superhumans...and then the superhumans casually destroy an airport during what is, in effect, a scrimmage. 

jimmy-fallon-rachel-dratch-disney-world-

• Upvote 1

so I finally got a chance to watch san andreas because of all the gifs

the casting director hit a home run, daddarrio is a force of nature

I could hear the voice of the guy who does the "everything wrong with..." videos in my head that movie was so messed up otherwise

wouldn't the tsunami hit asia ?

• Upvote 1

I absolutely loved Civil War.  The Capt. movies are by far the best the best of the bunch and this one didnt disappoint.

Loved the Black Panther intro.  Great character, great intro, great actor selection.  I actually didnt know it was him and was pretty excited when he entered the stage.

Love Ant Man.  He was awesome.  Much better than his own movie.

Spidey?  Meh.  Seemed a little forced though the action stuff with him was definitely fun.  I do want to see how they redo this character.

Tony Stark/Iron Man - I'm just kind of over it.  He's just boring at this point.  I understand he's necessary to the story but would really like to see them move away from him eventually.  I've never found his character overly interesting but got into it because I love Robert Downey Jr...but enough already.

I am curious to see how they wrap this all together with the final Avengers movies.

And did this movie firmly plant Capt. as the #1 Marvel character?  

That said, the DC stuff is just 10x more compelling. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2016 at 3:15 PM, Integrity28 said:

Saw Concussion. Good film, not an Oscar snub.

Dr. Omalu, doesn't strike me as someone that would have the meatballish swag/gestures of Men in Black Will Smith.

Oh come on.  This guy?  He's got swag for days!!!

MTM1MzQ2MTkzMDc2MDk4MzIy.jpg

Apocalypse scoring a 53 on RT. I suppose the writing was on the wall for that one. It's looked formulaic since the first trailer hit. Tbh I think the downfall of this genre is going to be the same recycled storyline of having to save the entire universe/world/city over and over and over. Like, enough. Tell a different story for a change. And all the studios are guilty of it.

I loved Civil War and don't care much about the airport plot hole.  The superhumans are only concerned with regular humans dying.  I don't think anybody died right?  Plot holes happen.  They're movies.  Doesn't take away from my enjoyment of that scene. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I loved Civil War and don't care much about the airport plot hole.  The superhumans are only concerned with regular humans dying.  I don't think anybody died right?  Plot holes happen.  They're movies.  Doesn't take away from my enjoyment of that scene. 

It's fiction. People are ridiculous. Picking apart the plot holes of ******* Star Wars and Captain America and sh*t. Get a life for ****'s sake. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Apocalypse scoring a 53 on RT. I suppose the writing was on the wall for that one. It's looked formulaic since the first trailer hit. Tbh I think the downfall of this genre is going to be the same recycled storyline of having to save the entire universe/world/city over and over and over. Like, enough. Tell a different story for a change. And all the studios are guilty of it.

I read that same thing in a lot of reviews about Civil War. It was appreciated that it wasn't the end of the world at stake

2 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

I read that same thing in a lot of reviews about Civil War. It was appreciated that it wasn't the end of the world at stake

I think that's a big part of it. Been saying for a while now that it's exactly why Dredd has become such a fan favorite over the years. Nothing huge at stake. No big momentus rescues of anything that change the world. Just a dude on the job for the day. 

Ditto for Daredevil. 

Yep. Civil War was all about who wins the "heart" of the Avengers. And the cool part is how both sides of the argument were convincing. So it's real interesting how it'll all turn out. Though I'm sure a lot of the nerds already know how it plays out, so don't spoil it for me ok?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep. Civil War was all about who wins the "heart" of the Avengers. And the cool part is how both sides of the argument were convincing. So it's real interesting how it'll all turn out. Though I'm sure a lot of the nerds already know how it plays out, so don't spoil it for me ok?

There's no way to know. The way they did Civil War was very different than the comics, which got at even deeper stuff and had a LOT more characters. Bridging this into Infinity War doesn't play out that way in the books either, so they're doing their own thing with this. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There's no way to know. The way they did Civil War was very different than the comics, which got at even deeper stuff and had a LOT more characters. Bridging this into Infinity War doesn't play out that way in the books either, so they're doing their own thing with this. 

In a cross over comic you can bring in as many characters as you want,  you can only do so much in 2 and a half hours.

I remember reading the Age of Apocalypse, and all the cross overs.  It was really, really good.  I don't think this movie will be nearly as good.  I think it'll be ok, and entertaining, but not something I want to watch more than once. 

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It actually pisses me off that people rip these types of movies apart.  I'm not watching it to get some type of cinematic classic that moves heart and changes perspective.  I'm watching it because they do bad ass sh*t and its cool.  They're ******* super heroes for christ sake.  It's make believe.  Does anyone rip horror movies for being terrible?  No.  You just accept it because it's a horror movie.

I think some of the criticism has to do with how well the Bale Batman movies were done.  They were pretty flawless for this genre and it's just really hard to do.  Not every character is perfectly evolved like Batman.  Some are weird and out there and to expect a perfectly hole free movie is just silly.

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2016 at 0:20 PM, Larz said:

so I finally got a chance to watch san andreas because of all the gifs

the casting director hit a home run, daddarrio is a force of nature

I could hear the voice of the guy who does the "everything wrong with..." videos in my head that movie was so messed up otherwise

wouldn't the tsunami hit asia ?

the movie is pure sh*t, but bouncing boobies ftw

• Upvote 2

I watched a movie called Paper Towns. I don't know why I watched it yet. It had the ingredients to be an Outsiders, Goonies, John Hughes type of ride... but it fell short in just about every capacity possible. 

It had no soul to it.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

In a cross over comic you can bring in as many characters as you want,  you can only do so much in 2 and a half hours.

I remember reading the Age of Apocalypse, and all the cross overs.  It was really, really good.  I don't think this movie will be nearly as good.  I think it'll be ok, and entertaining, but not something I want to watch more than once. 

Pretty much. It's a matter of time and also history. The stuff with Kingpin and Spidey just wouldn't have worked. They had decades worth of precedent to go into that storyline, had they tried incorporating that into the movie it would have come off as incredibly messy. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

It actually pisses me off that people rip these types of movies apart.  I'm not watching it to get some type of cinematic classic that moves heart and changes perspective.  I'm watching it because they do bad ass sh*t and its cool.  They're ******* super heroes for christ sake.  It's make believe.  Does anyone rip horror movies for being terrible?  No.  You just accept it because it's a horror movie.

I think some of the criticism has to do with how well the Bale Batman movies were done.  They were pretty flawless for this genre and it's just really hard to do.  Not every character is perfectly evolved like Batman.  Some are weird and out there and to expect a perfectly hole free movie is just silly.

To be fair, Civil War is not being ripped apart by anyone.  It is being reviewed favorably and not a single person I know that has seen it has not enjoyed it.  That being said there is this belief that Marvel has created a formula (which they have) and any superhero movie that does not follow that same formula (see BvS and XMEN AOA) gets picked up apart, almost unfairly.  Maybe that is where you are going.  

On 5/13/2016 at 11:20 AM, Integrity28 said:

I tried to watch Heart of the Sea last night, and fell asleep almost instantly. The dialogue between the first mate and everyone else in the movie was absolutely horrible. I'll try again this weekend, maybe.

Any scene with the whale is beautiful and exciting, but Hemsworth is just not a leading man right now. Cillian Murphy is probably 10x the actor he is and was way underused in the movie.

On 5/13/2016 at 10:20 AM, Integrity28 said:

I tried to watch Heart of the Sea last night, and fell asleep almost instantly. The dialogue between the first mate and everyone else in the movie was absolutely horrible. I'll try again this weekend, maybe.

Save yourself. Don't. The book is an incredibly quick read and if you're interested in the story you are not going to get any of it from the movie. Howard and the studio completely botched that one.

watched legend last night with tom hardy playing the gangster twins. it was good for the first hour and a half but dragged. way to long.  also i love hardy but it was really hard to understand him in this movie.  the accent was so strong i had to put subtitles on.  maybe i had too much to drink haha but i could make out maybe a third of his dialogue. 

Finally joined the "Dead Pool" fold last night.  I have not enjoyed a flick that much in a long time.  Nor laughed as hard.  Pretty much a perfect movie.

Ryan Reynolds' awesome performance was a huge surprise, as was the incredible level of sarcastic, home run, comedy lines.   Great script and crisp direction.  Absolutely loved the film.

• Upvote 2

On May 13, 2016 at 11:11 AM, JiF said:

Damn straight.  That was Deadpool for me.  Sal my18 y/o son and I went to see it together .  We both laughed and giggled like we were the same age . These movies are to entertain and provide an escape .  More of a yes no critique than the need for a full opinionated review. 

I'm giving Jupiter Ascending a try after tonight's Game of Thrones, because this season has been so damn good that I'm willing to give something horrible a try.

I don't know what the hell the Wachowskis thought they were making here. You remember that He-Man movie with Dolph Lundgren in the 80s? This is like if they made that movie now with 2016 special effects. This is After Earth, Battlefield Earth bad. I'd highly recommend it. It's especially pretty hilarious if you have a bag of weed on hand.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm giving Jupiter Ascending a try after tonight's Game of Thrones, because this season has been so damn good that I'm willing to give something horrible a try.

I don't know what the hell the Wachowskis thought they were making here. You remember that He-Man movie with Dolph Lundgren in the 80s? This is like if they made that movie now with 2016 special effects. This is After Earth, Battlefield Earth bad. I'd highly recommend it. It's especially pretty hilarious if you have a bag of weed on hand.

That movie is glorious. I have no idea what Redmayne was doing. I need a pair of space roller blades. 

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was as beautiful as it was boring. It was like watching mannequins try to act, save for a handful of scenes with Alicia Vikander and Elizabeth Debicki, and the few seconds Harris and Grant were in.  Watching Superman pretend to be Cary Grant and the Lone Ranger pretend to be human was just so god damned boring. I know Cruise ditching the movie changed the casting, but it really seemed like Ritchie tried to make a spy version of To Catch a Thief and it was just a let down. 

13 hours ago, Thor99 said:

Just ask the Wicker Man  

Apparently, Tatum was supposed to be part wolf.  

At at least it was entertaining, unlike Speed Racer. 

I was a big fan of the gratuitous, extended series of shirtless scenes with him, which were proceeded by Ned Stark explaining how humans killed the dinosaurs.

Also i gotta say, I think Tatum had to have some idea how ridiculous the whole thing was. Because the dude is on the verge of cracking up with every line he delivers.