Movies We've Seen Thread

so I caught the martian tonight.  I was posting in another thread how camino gave you an hour in the deer hunter before they go hunting, you really get to know the characters and you really care about them

the martian gives you 45 seconds before the storm with a few cliche character set-up lines before that

mortal sin, I didn't care about the mission or watney.  I wound up half watching it while doing other things

it was ok science wise, they avoided a lot of other cliches (no aliens or pyramids, lol) but I just didn't care

2 hours ago, Thor99 said:

Is there anything better than sitting down with your cup of coffe, turning on the TV, and Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon is on?

LMFAO.  No joke, I just finished watching an edited version of Carpenter's "The Thing" remake on Viceland.  Though the special effects are dated, still an awesome flick.  And Kurt Russell is beyond cool.

• Upvote 3

On 5/13/2016 at 11:11 AM, JiF said:

It actually pisses me off that people rip these types of movies apart.  I'm not watching it to get some type of cinematic classic that moves heart and changes perspective.  I'm watchinghttp://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/9781532708299it because they do bad ass sh*t and its cool.  They're ******* super heroes for christ sake.  It's make believe.  Does anyone rip horror movies for being terrible?  No.  You just accept it because it's a horror movie.

I think some of the criticism has to do with how well the Bale Batman movies were done.  They were pretty flawless for this genre and it's just really hard to do.  Not every character is perfectly evolved like Batman.  Some are weird and out there and to expect a perfectly hole free movie is just silly.

Not a fan of most superhero movies, but agree. Not sure how anyone looks at them like it's "Citizen Kane" . Same thing with most comedies; really what is your expectation? 

Saw "The Revenant" and it was visually spectacular, along with a great story; simply it is unlike anything else coming out of Hollywood. IF "Cool Had Luke"  is the sweatiest move of all time,this could be the most hypothermic. DeCaprio's award was well-deserved,and Tom Hardy as a villain was very good as always.

About Hardy-"Peaky Blinders" is back on Netlfix right now. 

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

LMFAO.  No joke, I just finished watching an edited version of Carpenter's "The Thing" remake on Viceland.  Though the special effects are dated, still an awesome flick.  And Kurt Russell is beyond cool.

Watched Big Trouble in Little China with my boys this weekend.

Love that movie.

• Upvote 2

On 6/5/2016 at 8:30 AM, munchmemory said:

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

Watched Big Trouble in Little China with my boys this weekend.

Love that movie.

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I could watch Carpenter's movies all day.  Always has an interesting/insane take on things.

If you guys love Carpenter, google the tour he's on right now. He's playing all his soundtracks with a live band that includes his son and based on early reviews they have some kickass visuals on the stage and the shows have been amazing. Got my tix to the Chicago show a while ago, which were followed by me explaining to my wife what we were going to and her replying "of course you'd want to go to this."

13312693_1157915424239451_45382394840677

13305003_10154233382157258_7832015350502

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If you guys love Carpenter, google the tour he's on right now. He's playing all his soundtracks with a live band that includes his son and based on early reviews they have some kickass visuals on the stage and the shows have been amazing. Got my tix to the Chicago show a while ago, which were followed by me explaining to my wife what we were going to and her replying "of course you'd want to go to this."

13312693_1157915424239451_45382394840677

13305003_10154233382157258_7832015350502

LOL at explaining to your wife.  Classic.

Thanks very much for the link.  Looks and sounds really cool.  Enjoy the show.

2 hours ago, rillo said:

Watched X-Men: Apocalypse yesterday, it was really lackluster. Total step back from x-men days of future past. Psylocke and Storm were cuties though. 

I saw it, thought it was very... meh.   Not much to it.

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No matter what you do for the next several weeks, do not watch The Resurrection of Jake the Snake on Netflix.

Don't do it to yourself.

Just don't.

And if you do, make sure you have a box of tissues handy.

Watched about the first half of it. 

2 Things

Diamond Dallas Page is now, and has always been a class guy.  Going all the way back to Mick Foley's 1st book, NO ONE says anything bad about that guy.  He is The Man

Wrestling is fake, sure.  But because it's not a sport, it's participants have brutal lives.  Always on the road, un-diagnosed concussions, crap health care, no union to watch out for them, forced to work through bad injuries, lots of alcohol, lots of pain killers.  So many of them are dead so early.

58 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Watched about the first half of it. 

2 Things

Diamond Dallas Page is now, and has always been a class guy.  Going all the way back to Mick Foley's 1st book, NO ONE says anything bad about that guy.  He is The Man

Wrestling is fake, sure.  But because it's not a sport, it's participants have brutal lives.  Always on the road, un-diagnosed concussions, crap health care, no union to watch out for them, forced to work through bad injuries, lots of alcohol, lots of pain killers.  So many of them are dead so early.

I honestly had no idea he was that beloved. But it makes sense now in hindsight, because he never seemed like the type of character that should have made it to the levels that he did, but as Hall was saying all the other guys in WCW pushed for him to get the belt because they all loved him so much.

Real talk. When that video of Scott Hall surfaced a few years ago of him being doped out of his mind at some high school show and looking like a zombie, I was crushed. I was such a huge fan of his growing up. Seeing how he gets himself together for the ending of this flick really got to me. I'm almost motivated to purchase Page's yoga vids just as a thank you.

On 5/15/2016 at 11:52 AM, The Crusher said:

Damn straight.  That was Deadpool for me.  Sal my18 y/o son and I went to see it together .  We both laughed and giggled like we were the same age . These movies are to entertain and provide an escape .  More of a yes no critique than the need for a full opinionated review. 

Pretty much.  I need to see Deadpool again.  

Yes, it took me a month to respond. 

On 6/5/2016 at 3:24 PM, Bugg said:

Not a fan of most superhero movies, but agree. Not sure how anyone looks at them like it's "Citizen Kane" . Same thing with most comedies; really what is your expectation? 

Saw "The Revenant" and it was visually spectacular, along with a great story; simply it is unlike anything else coming out of Hollywood. IF "Cool Had Luke"  is the sweatiest move of all time,this could be the most hypothermic. DeCaprio's award was well-deserved,and Tom Hardy as a villain was very good as always.

About Hardy-"Peaky Blinders" is back on Netlfix right now. 

Yeah, dont really get it but that's what goes on now.

Hardy was awesome in Revenant. Just like everything he's in.  Definitely at to 5 favorite actor, if not top 3.  

I've tried Peaky Blinders a few times and just cant get into it.  

58 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah, dont really get it but that's what goes on now.

Hardy was awesome in Revenant. Just like everything he's in.  Definitely at to 5 favorite actor, if not top 3.  

I've tried Peaky Blinders a few times and just cant get into it.  

You see Hardy in "Legend"?  Wow what a performance(s).

On 6/6/2016 at 10:44 AM, rillo said:

Watched X-Men: Apocalypse yesterday, it was really lackluster. Total step back from x-men days of future past. Psylocke and Storm were cuties though. 

Totally formulaic and generic plot. He's gonna destroy the world unless we act together! Ugh. Enough already.

Also think they made a huge mistake in casting Sansa as Jean Grey. She's too integral a character and she's not a good enough actress to overcome the fact that she's typecast for the rest of her life. Patrick Stewart was able to do that no problem, but she's basically the same person no matter who she plays.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

You see Hardy in "Legend"?  Wow what a performance(s).

I have not.  But it's on my list for sure.  That might be my Friday night.  Because I'm wild and crazy.

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I would wait till the end of time for you. Just so you know.

With arms wide open? 

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I honestly had no idea he was that beloved. But it makes sense now in hindsight, because he never seemed like the type of character that should have made it to the levels that he did, but as Hall was saying all the other guys in WCW pushed for him to get the belt because they all loved him so much.

Real talk. When that video of Scott Hall surfaced a few years ago of him being doped out of his mind at some high school show and looking like a zombie, I was crushed. I was such a huge fan of his growing up. Seeing how he gets himself together for the ending of this flick really got to me. I'm almost motivated to purchase Page's yoga vids just as a thank you.

Finished it.  That scene where Hall is trying, and his hip is popping so loud the camera is picking it up 15 feet away is sick.

DDP has some AMAZING stories of people he has helped with his Yoga.   He was on Shark Tank a few seasons ago with it, it is intense, and he helps a LOT of people with it that are, "hopeless"

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Totally formulaic and generic plot. He's gonna destroy the world unless we act together! Ugh. Enough already.

Also think they made a huge mistake in casting Sansa as Jean Grey. She's too integral a character and she's not a good enough actress to overcome the fact that she's typecast for the rest of her life. Patrick Stewart was able to do that no problem, but she's basically the same person no matter who she plays.

So.... Magneto murders 7 people early on, and then destroys massive amounts of the planet, but he's sorry, so it's ok and he doesn't have to go to jail or anything.  Plus, Katness Everdeen is Mystique.   Blah.

X:Men Apocalypse was horrendous. Waste of Isaac, Apocalypse, Fassbender, pretty much all the talent, and Jennifer Lawrence gave nothing but a bunch of cliche movie inspirational speeches....Seemed like a vehicle to gauge how Sansa appeals to a wider audience and hangs with bigger names. Any non-DB/ DBZ movie that ends with a character being told to unleash their TRUE power is just not on the right path.

Ben Affleck commentary on Armageddon:

https://mobile.twitter.com/u_sylvie/status/742507648738721793?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

On 6/15/2016 at 0:16 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

10 Cloverfield Lane is one of Abrams' best and I don't know how many other actors out there shift as effortlessly between roles as John Goodman. Top to bottom solid SciFi thriller.

Agreed, I thoroughly enjoyed this one, hated the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimate Edition of BvS is great. If you loathed the theatrical version I'm not sure if it'll sway your opinion, but for what it's worth this is the only version that should be watched going forward. And I do believe that though people still would have been critical of it, had Warners had released this version I don't think it would have been nearly as vitriolic. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Ultimate Edition of BvS is great. If you loathed the theatrical version I'm not sure if it'll sway your opinion, but for what it's worth this is the only version that should be watched going forward. And I do believe that though people still would have been critical of it, had Warners had released this version I don't think it would have been nearly as vitriolic. 

can you buy it yet, or just digital?