Movies We've Seen Thread

Just now, Integrity28 said:

The X-Men universe is too big for movies. I've been saying it since the Sopranos was on HBO, the characters lend themselves better to what HBO has built from Game of Thrones. Huge opportunity missed, imo. Sure, they get the box office cash-in on each new X-Men flick... but I think the money is there no matter what, would you prefer to make the money and tell the story right?

I would.

But I'm a creative idealistic, I guess.

I know the X Movies make money, but man they are just crap.   Just follow the old stories, they were so well done. 

Now, you get the whole thing of Marvel basically ending the comics since they don't have the movie rights, which was a shame as I loved those in the 80s and 90s.   That was what got me hooked on super heroes in the beginning.

Just now, chirorob said:

I know the X Movies make money, but man they are just crap.   Just follow the old stories, they were so well done. 

Now, you get the whole thing of Marvel basically ending the comics since they don't have the movie rights, which was a shame as I loved those in the 80s and 90s.   That was what got me hooked on super heroes in the beginning.

Same. X-Men was always my first love when it came to comic books.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2017 at 11:19 PM, JohnJ said:

'Cave of Forgotten Dreams'...Doc by Werner Herzog on Netflix.  Very good, with a haunting soundtrack

Related image

Good pick. I always found cave art fascinating for a number of reasons. I loved that movie, even though it lagged a little in spots.  I mentioned it on another forum a few years ago.  Mind-blowing that ancient peoples could draw things so incredibly dynamic strictly from memory with no direct observation (by firelight, no less);  and, even WITH direct observation, lest we forget, the sh*t is moving. Incredible.  It's no accident that people who had absolutely no contact with one another from all corners of the world were all using the same symbols. Why can't we all just get along? Well, that's another ball of wax. 

Image result for hand prints caves

I have a lot of theories about why people make art, being one of the afflicted or blessed misself all depending on your POV - and they're both correct - but the most basic one is that human beings can never resist the need to say "I was here."  I'm confident in that conclusion. 

Checked out Netflix original 'I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore' and enjoyed it. It's an Indie and the directorial debut of one Macon Blair.

I'd liken it to a Coen Bros. movie. Just when it starts to stagger a little it goes full blown crazy. I liked it. I liked the lead actress also

I looked up Macon Blair and saw that he was the lead actor in the Indie 'Blue Ruin', which is a noir that is pretty good, that I watched on NF last year, which is available on Amazon now.

I'm an Indie/offbeat fan more than the typical Hollywood fare

going to skull island tonight, I'm hopeful it doesn't suck

is it too early to get in line for this ?

Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters

Taking place after the events of Godzilla (2014), Godzilla: King of the Monsters will feature not one, not two, but three additional monsters! The giant moth guardian Mothra, Rodan and the infamous three-headed dragon King Ghidorah! Like Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster and Destroy All Monsters, the Monster King will return with even more monster mayhem and action-packed thrills, Spring of 2019! Follow Godzilla2-Movie.com for the latest news, cast and plot updates!

What you need to know about Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters

What new monsters will be in Godzilla 2? Currently, the confirmed list of Monsters to-be featured in the highly anticipated Godzilla sequel are Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah! Three of Toho's most iconic Kaiju have been secured by Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures to star in the follow-up and will do battle with their revised Hollywood Godzilla which debuted in Gareth Edwards' 2014 blockbuster.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:11 PM, HessStation said:

Netflx Alert: I just noticed it, not sure how long it's been available, and it's been years since I've watched it but the movie, Fraility, is another gem you can find on Nf. Horror/Thriller genre I suppose. 

'Frailty' is one page back. :)

On 2/3/2017 at 4:00 PM, jetophile said:

I saw 'Rebecca' the other night in a fit of nostalgia. The Fontaine/De Havilland fight is almost as epic than Bette Davis and Joan Crawford ("I wouldn't piss on Joan Crawford is she was on fire") . Which brings me around to 'Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte'. It's such schlocky fun. Bette does a great turn. She never gave two sh*ts about what she looked like.

Major points to anyone who knows that Victor Buono was in 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes'.  Faces, it's my  thing. 

Wow. Rebecca is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies. You own the criterion DVD?

Get Out was hysterical. I think horror is the hardest of all the genres to introduce something truly original into, and kudos to Jordan Peele for managing to do that. It's certainly not the greatest movie of all time or anything, but it's pretty ******* entertaining and that's really all one can really ask for.

• Upvote 1

SKULL ISLAND WAS AMAZEBALLS

See it in IMAX 3D !!!!!!

Kong worked, he was well done.  

This move was beautifully shot.  There were 10 or more 5 second shots that are some of the best I have ever seen.

The pace of the setup leading to them getting to the island was perfect.  The tension steadily builds and they don't screw around.

It's non-stop action.  They give you a few minutes between action scenes, a few jokes, then a tree branch snaps, " oh sh*t here we go again !"

This is a monarch story setting up the Godzilla vs Kong remake, not a reboot of the previous 3 kong movies.

There are nods to some of the iconic scenes from those movies tho.

The place was packed, sold out, crowd loved it and applauded at the end.

There is an after credit scene worth waiting for.  There is a credit that gives it away. 

The soundtrack I have to say was pretty cliche.  

Other than that, go see this movie !

• Upvote 1

So I setup Kodi/Exodus to my tv and watched every movie this year and just finally got around to watching Hell or High Water. Jeff Bridges >>>> Ben Foster > Chris Pine, and Chris Pine was damned good in this move. I have to think that the only reason Bridges didn't win the Oscar is because he already got his a few years ago, but god damn was he amazing in this. Favorite movie of the year and favorite performance of the year.

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

So I setup Kodi/Exodus to my tv and watched every movie this year and just finally got around to watching Hell or High Water. Jeff Bridges >>>> Ben Foster > Chris Pine, and Chris Pine was damned good in this move. I have to think that the only reason Bridges didn't win the Oscar is because he already got his a few years ago, but god damn was he amazing in this. Favorite movie of the year and favorite performance of the year.

My brother in law, he has his own blog with movie reviews. He's an older guy who has been doing his own reviews for like 20+ years, except all were in these notebooks. Only recently has he been sharing them via, with this blog. So I just wanted to give an idea about how into movies and stuff he is. He is actually great to have conversations with, be books, music, movies, shows etc.....soooooo anyway, very longwinded but he ranked Hell or High Water best movie of the year. Haven't seen it yet but excited to get to it soon. 

15 minutes ago, HessStation said:

My brother in law, he has his own blog with movie reviews. He's an older guy who has been doing his own reviews for like 20+ years, except all were in these notebooks. Only recently has he been sharing them via, with this blog. So I just wanted to give an idea about how into movies and stuff he is. He is actually great to have conversations with, be books, music, movies, shows etc.....soooooo anyway, very longwinded but he ranked Hell or High Water best movie of the year. Haven't seen it yet but excited to get to it soon. 

Had a very No Country for Old Men, neo-western vibe. It's always great when you get to watch a movie that you heard nothing about prior, and then it blows you away. Enjoy, eager to hear what you think. 

5 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I thought that was the best script of the year hands down. Taylor Sheridan is great. That dude is the next great Hollywood writer.

21 hours ago, rillo said:

Yeah I thought the accountant was going to be a lot better. Didn't hate it and didn't like it either.

I also saw the movie about the 2 guys that need wedding dates. I can't recall the actual name, but both this and the Accountant had the singing girl in it... she was ugly as sh*t in the comedy. Like, "is this the same girl" ugly.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I also saw the movie about the 2 guys that need wedding dates. I can't recall the actual name, but both this and the Accountant had the singing girl in it... she was ugly as sh*t in the comedy. Like, "is this the same girl" ugly.

I know the movie you're talking about and yes it's the same girl. It's funny because I've had the same reaction in other movies she's been in. It's weird. 

Hands of Stone gets so much wrong. Screwing up such an amazing story with more cliche Hollywood nonsense:

The combing of the hair bullsh*t, never happened.

That they make it seem like Arcel and Duran were fighting to finally win a championship against Leonard is insane. He was the lineal lightweight champ for SEVEN YEARS prior to that fight and the #1 P4P in the eyes of many. He had already had a hall of fame career prior to Leonard.

They make no mention of one of the scorecards being read wrong in the first Leonard fight. Leonard-Duran I was a UD.

The comeback after Leonard-Duran II is 100% fabricated. The Moore fight happened like 7 fights after that. This was kind of my same problem with Bleed for This and The Fighter. Complete fabrication of parts that didn't need to be in favor of making the same type of cliche boxing movie that we've seen before. There was enough of a story there already. Duran went on to have an absolutely incredible career even almost immediately after No Mas.

They make no mention of the fact that Leonard knew Duran got fat after their first fight, which is why Leonard ordered the rematch to happen so quickly. Had nothing to do with him figuring out that Duran was just ******* with him the first time. This is why they offered Duran an absurd amount of money with a take-it-or-leave-it deadline. I love Leonard, but he was a shrewd tactician when it came to the timing and matchups when it came to his fights. That deserved to be in there.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

2 hours ago, rillo said:

I know the movie you're talking about and yes it's the same girl. It's funny because I've had the same reaction in other movies she's been in. It's weird. 

Anna Kendrick was in both flicks, ho's usually adorable.  The name of the other movie is "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates".   Or as I call it, "Dog Excrement Posing As Cinema".

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hands of Stone gets so much wrong. Screwing up such an amazing story with more cliche Hollywood nonsense:

The combing of the hair bullsh*t, never happened.

That they make it seem like Arcel and Duran were fighting to finally win a championship against Leonard is insane. He was the lineal lightweight champ for SEVEN YEARS prior to that fight and the #1 P4P in the eyes of many. He had already had a hall of fame career prior to Leonard.

They make no mention of one of the scorecards being read wrong in the first Leonard fight. Leonard-Duran I was a UD.

The comeback after Leonard-Duran II is 100% fabricated. The Moore fight happened like 7 fights after that. This was kind of my same problem with Bleed for This and The Fighter. Complete fabrication of parts that didn't need to be in favor of making the same type of cliche boxing movie that we've seen before. There was enough of a story there already. Duran went on to have an absolutely incredible career even almost immediately after No Mas.

They make no mention of the fact that Leonard knew Duran got fat after their first fight, which is why Leonard ordered the rematch to happen so quickly. Had nothing to do with him figuring out that Duran was just ******* with him the first time. This is why they offered Duran an absurd amount of money with a take-it-or-leave-it deadline. I love Leonard, but he was a shrewd tactician when it came to the timing and matchups when it came to his fights. That deserved to be in there.

Didn't have high hopes for this, and you just confirmed that for me. Actually pisses me off some of what you're saying.

Doubt I'll even bother now.

Duran needed a Martin Scorsese type handling for his story. Coulda been a contender for a great movie....

Nocturnal animals was fantastic, Gyllenhal is great in those neo-noir movies. Amy Adams was excellent as well. Speaking of, Arrival was probably my second favorite movie of the year, behind Hell or High Water. A lot of great movies this year. While I did like Moonlight, a lot, I still take Hell or High Water over all of them. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Nocturnal animals was fantastic, Gyllenhal is great in those neo-noir movies. Amy Adams was excellent as well. Speaking of, Arrival was probably my second favorite movie of the year, behind Hell or High Water. A lot of great movies this year. While I did like Moonlight, a lot, I still take Hell or High Water over all of them. 

Got my eye on that one after watching Nightcrawler not too long ago on NF

Very much blown away by August Wilson's "Fences" which I watched with my family over the weekend.  How Denzel Washington did not get the Oscar for Best Actor is criminal.  Nothing against Casey Affleck, but give me a friggin' break.  Those two performances are not even in the same realm.  

And how exactly is Viola Davis' performance considered "supporting"?  She's in most of the scenes. Phenomenal performance by her as well.  Watching this film is like attending a master class in acting.  Absolutely brilliant.  I would have given it the Best Picture Oscar.

8 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Very much blown away by August Wilson's "Fences" which I watched with my family over the weekend.  How Denzel Washington did not get the Oscar for Best Actor is criminal.  Nothing against Casey Affleck, but give me a friggin' break.  Those two performances are not even in the same realm.  

And how exactly is Viola Davis' performance considered "supporting"?  She's in most of the scenes. Phenomenal performance by her as well.  Watching this film is like attending a master class in acting.  Absolutely brilliant.  I would have given it the Best Picture Oscar.

I dunno, as much as I love Denzel, and I love me some Denzel, there's never been a role where I don't just see him being Denzel. He's still amazing, and was amazing in Fences, but I was watching Magnificent 7 the other day and you see a guy like Vincent D'onofrio, who's different in every role, and then you see Denzel and Chris Pratt, basically playing Denzel and Chris Pratt. Still love the guy, but that was always my biggest gripe with Denzel and Clooney, they never seemed to really get into a character like some of the other guys. I dunno, probably just me. 

14 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I dunno, as much as I love Denzel, and I love me some Denzel, there's never been a role where I don't just see him being Denzel. He's still amazing, and was amazing in Fences, but I was watching Magnificent 7 the other day and you see a guy like Vincent D'onofrio, who's different in every role, and then you see Denzel and Chris Pratt, basically playing Denzel and Chris Pratt. Still love the guy, but that was always my biggest gripe with Denzel and Clooney, they never seemed to really get into a character like some of the other guys. I dunno, probably just me. 

Don't always succeed, but I try to make every film experience a unique experience.   I either get engaged in the movie, and its cast, or I don't.  The past does not enter into it.  In the case of Fences, and its cast, I was completely absorbed.  Thought the entire cast, but especially Davis and Washington, were incredible.  Wish I could have seen the Broadway performance.

Another interesting thing to tack on relating to Denzel is that he was also the director.  I can't imagine having to act Wilson's script (there's an insane amount of dialog for Denzel's character) after having blocked the scene.  I think that situation just adds to my feeling that he should have received Best Actor.  Just my opinion.

On 03/11/2017 at 8:30 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Get Out was hysterical. I think horror is the hardest of all the genres to introduce something truly original into, and kudos to Jordan Peele for managing to do that. It's certainly not the greatest movie of all time or anything, but it's pretty ******* entertaining and that's really all one can really ask for.

I didn't find it hysterical at all.  A little dark comedy in it... but I don't recall laughing.  In fact, I was extremely uncomfortable the entire time... until the last 10 minutes that is.

That said, I thought Get Out was nothing short of BRILLIANT!

I just don't want to ever see it again.