Movies We've Seen Thread

Saw The Big Sick. The girl is appealing, Ray Romano and Holly Hunter are very good, but the lead dude is so bleh that it's hard to get invested into his plight. The movie got great reviews, but some of that has to be woke appropriation and Apatow-hipster-charm reflex.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:33 AM, JiF said:

Moonlight - Amazing.  What an incredible story.  Just absolutely brilliant.  Never seen anything like it and then when you hear about the story and how it was filmed and all that...just absolutely one of the best movies I've ever seen.  I couldnt fall asleep just thinking after that movie.  Great flick. 

Is it chock full of gay shenanigans? Or low key?

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Is it chock full of gay shenanigans? Or low key?

I dont know what this question means nor do I think you should explain what you mean but I can say that the movie was phenomenal and it seems like you're the type of person who could benefit from seeing it. 

I let my girlfriend pick a movie last night, which I should never do because they're never good.  She picked:

The Spectacular Now.   w/ Miles Teller.    Stupid movie.  Just pointless.

How is he such a terrible actor but delivered such a great performance in Whiplash?  I havent seen War Dogs or Bleed for This but homey has no range. 

Annabelle: Creation

Don't laugh. ******* hella good time. Legit good. I was shocked because the original spinoff was a bit campy and cliche. This Conjuring Universe that James Wan created has yielded some solid horror. They're also doing a spinoff with the nun from Conjuring 2 and I fully expect that movie to make me sh*t my pants multiple times.

David Sandberg is building a nice little track record. Between Lights Out and this one, wouldn't be surprised at all if he started getting approached for some big budget tentpole flicks soon.

14 hours ago, JiF said:

I dont know what this question means nor do I think you should explain what you mean but I can say that the movie was phenomenal and it seems like you're the type of person who could benefit from seeing it. 

I support the gay lifestyle and rights.... Just not into seeing brokeback mountain 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I just watched Dunkirk. I will hold off on my review until more people see it and experience it for themselves. I'll just say that there's never been a movie like this, ever.

Did you watch it in IMAX or 70mm? I'm trying to decide which format I wanna check it out in. Or make the trek into the city and see IMAX 70mm, best of both. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Did you watch it in IMAX or 70mm? I'm trying to decide which format I wanna check it out in. Or make the trek into the city and see IMAX 70mm, best of both. 

Saw it in IMAX, which I usually hate, but it worked here.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I just watched Dunkirk. I will hold off on my review until more people see it and experience it for themselves. I'll just say that there's never been a movie like this, ever.

If Tom isn't taking large, trolling, smelly sh*ts all over a Nolan movie, it must be good.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

comic book and comic book movie fans, are you optimistic about the Justice League movie? 

I wasn't until Whedon took over, and is changing a lot of things.   The original Avengers was supposed to be crap, and he re wrote and fixed it.  Avengers 2 had too much interference and was very mediocre.   Good to watch once, but nothing I'd try to see again.   If he is given free reign to fix the Justice League, I think it could be good.

I do like the casting, I like Cavill as Superman, the guy doing the Flash could be good, I liked Gal as Wonder Woman, Khal Drogo as Fish Guy, and I actually like Ben as an older Batman.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

comic book and comic book movie fans, are you optimistic about the Justice League movie? 

Meh. If it's good, then great. If not, whatever. My expectations aren't that high anyways. Looks like the same plot as Avengers.

Looking forward to Matt Reeves helming Batman though. 

On 7/21/2017 at 8:59 PM, Fantasy Island said:

Took my daughter to see Spiderman, it was awesome!!!  Finally got it right this time.

On 7/22/2017 at 9:38 AM, munchmemory said:

Saw it last weekend.  Enjoyed it a lot. The new kid as Spiderman is fantastic.

saw it tonight cause Mrs Dcat refused Dunkirk.  

I was pleasantly surprised.  Enjoyed it a lot and the british kid is great as a young Spiderman.  You've got to change it up to keep it viable and it seems to be a very good reboot.  Michael Keaton was too likable as the antihero.  But I dig Keaton anyway.

• Upvote 3

On 7/25/2017 at 1:17 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Ready Player One looks incredible. Literally exactly how I pictured the book in my head when I read it. Nice to see Spielberg has some gas left in the tank for scifi.

They got a lot of permission for different characters.   Iron Giant, Batman Logo, Big Foot Monster Truck, all kinds of stuff.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

They got a lot of permission for different characters.   Iron Giant, Batman Logo, Big Foot Monster Truck, all kinds of stuff.

I was thinking the same thing watching the trailer, never realized how much of a task it would be to get all the references from the book into movie form. But I would guess when Stephen ******* Spielberg asks for permission to use the Delorean or the bike from Akira, you can't say no. 

I Called Him Morgan.  Doc on NF about jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan, his troubles, and his tragic death. Really good, and got to see Wayne Shorter and Bennie Maupin in interviews...two favorites from the post-Miles period, especially Wayne who I learned was band mates at one time with Morgan and good friends.

• Upvote 1