Movies We've Seen Thread

On 10/21/2017 at 4:49 PM, Larz said:

anyone hear of this movie "inglorious basterds"?

I thought it was a western, turns out I was wrong !

I'll have to see it; sounds interesting....I just saw this other film about a shark called "Jaws", looks scary....;)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'll have to see it; sounds interesting....I just saw this other film about a shark called "Jaws", looks scary....;)

lol  Whatever you do, do waste your money on some stupid flick Hollywood is about to release called "ET".  Supposedly about some dopey space alien who gets lost on Earth and embarrasses his species. From what I've read, the "ET" is a bit of a pederast, hanging out with kids, getting drunk with them, and even dressing up in costumes.  Sounds like a disaster and borderline offensive to the gay community.

• Haha 1

John Wick 2. I feel like I said this about the first one, but I want to see and understand more about the "universe" he operates in. The tokens, Iam McShane's character, etc. I want more insight into the details. One can only suspend reality so much while watching a guy that looks like he's in pain when jogging somehow overmatch 20-30 assassins at a time. Good action, don't get me wrong - but come on. Develop it beyond the visual interest of Keanu doing the same 3 jiu jitsu moves over and over.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:42 PM, Warfish said:

The new Blade Runner was very good.

Longish, slow burning, but very good.

Saw Blade Runner this afternoon. You were spot on with your review

Amazing computer generated sets, and some of the best use of lighting I have ever seen in the movies. Very artistically done all around. 

Set up nicely for a second sequel

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't mean to sound hyperbolic, but I, Tonya looks like it's going to be the greatest film in the history of the universe.

I actually wanted to see the Bobby Riggs one, with Steve Carrell and and Emma Stone.  (Who smells like cat pee)

Thor

Pretty good.   Not the amazing comedy people were talking about, but pretty darn good.

Last night, watched Lucky # Slevin with my oldest, skipped the scene where he walks in on his girlfriend.   I love that movie, my son was like "how did that get 51 on Rotten Tomatoes?   That was way better than that."

On 10/29/2017 at 2:16 PM, Integrity28 said:

John Wick 2. I feel like I said this about the first one, but I want to see and understand more about the "universe" he operates in. The tokens, Iam McShane's character, etc. I want more insight into the details. One can only suspend reality so much while watching a guy that looks like he's in pain when jogging somehow overmatch 20-30 assassins at a time. Good action, don't get me wrong - but come on. Develop it beyond the visual interest of Keanu doing the same 3 jiu jitsu moves over and over.

He got hit dead on by a car at least twice in the movie. The first time he immediately gets up and delivers a kick. A kick! 

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2017 at 9:15 AM, chirorob said:

Thor

Pretty good.   Not the amazing comedy people were talking about, but pretty darn good.

I thought it was really funny, but lacked the emotional depth needed during a certain scene.  And Thor himself didn't even mention it.  

I'm being intentionally vague here to avoid spoilers.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I thought it was really funny, but lacked the emotional depth needed during a certain scene.  And Thor himself didn't even mention it.  

I'm being intentionally vague here to avoid spoilers.  

Overall I thought it was the best Marvel movie since the first Ironman - it was really engaging.

35 minutes ago, peebag said:

Overall I thought it was the best Marvel movie since the first Ironman - it was really engaging.

So, I watched it Thursday night, and I was really tired.

On Saturday, I saw it again, took the kids.   I was wide awake, and it was really funny.  Def. in my top 5 for Marvel Movies. 

Helping babysit a friend's kid this week, and lucky me the little fella has a keen interest for science fiction.

So I decided to introduce the youngster to Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Gave him a long talk about old Spielberg movies before hitting play. The kid was hypnotized for the entire 2 hours. Pretty hilarious sh*t, yet adorable and awesome at the same time. His immediate reaction was that he couldn't believe how much a movie from the 70s had impacted all of the things that he has loved in his short life, like Arrival and even a few books he loves. Like the concept of things existing before him being born; things that have built the foundation for all the current things he loves, was mind blowing to him.

Was a very cool experience. If that's what having children is like the wife and I need to get on this.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Was a very cool experience. If that's what having children is like the wife and I need to get on this.

Don't forget the part about not sleeping a full night for years at a time, and literally being pooped on.

Oh, and not seeing any adult movies for several years.

We saw T2: Trainspotting last night on DVR

The original movie 20 years ago was excellent. Great cast, good adaptation of a good novel., interesting local, well shot and edited, etc.

This one had most of the same cast and was also nicely shot, but the problem was that they forgot to write in a good plot.  

It was one of those "why did they make a sequel?" movies 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It looks like the worst movie ever made and I’m going to see it tomorrow.

It's amazing what passes off as film critique nowadays.  Sites like RT have completely ruined films and film critique.  Find 3-4 critics (who are you know actual film critics and not glorified bloggers) and read their reviews if that is what you need to determine whether you are or aren't going to watch a film.  Not saying you personally JIF, but just an overall vent about film criticism.  

14 minutes ago, gqxluvx said:

It's amazing what passes off as film critique nowadays.  Sites like RT have completely ruined films and film critique.  Find 3-4 critics (who are you know actual film critics and not glorified bloggers) and read their reviews if that is what you need to determine whether you are or aren't going to watch a film.  Not saying you personally JIF, but just an overall vent about film criticism.  

I used to like RT, but not any more.   Now, you get a piling on effect, so movies either rank at super high or super low.

I have 2 boys, I'm going to go see it.  I just don't have my hopes up too high.  You also have this hybrid of Dark movie with funny Wheedon movie.   We'll see how well it works.

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I used to like RT, but not any more.   Now, you get a piling on effect, so movies either rank at super high or super low.

I have 2 boys, I'm going to go see it.  I just don't have my hopes up too high.  You also have this hybrid of Dark movie with funny Wheedon movie.   We'll see how well it works.

I have about 4-5 critics that I truly trust when it comes to film critique.  A couple of them have been doing this over 20-25 years so they treat films and criticisms as professionals.  FWIW 3 of the 5 have reviewed JL and gave it positive reviews.  2 I am still waiting on.  Like you though, I would never let a review of film sway me from seeing and judging for myself.  Sadly so many people nowadays rely on RT to determine whether or not they will see a film.

52 minutes ago, gqxluvx said:

I literally have never paid any attention to a review or to a rating.  I see movies I want to see regardless of other opinions.  Most of the time I find out after the fact that the movie I saw was rated good or bad.  Never really know going into it.  I've got a buddy that literally won't see a movie that gets poor ratings.  It's bizarre.  And then I tell him I liked a movie and he'll be like, dude it got so and so on so and so.  I could give 2 sh*ts.  I heard the critics hated Batman vs. Superman.  I loved it.  Don't give **** what they say.   And then they have movies they love like Wonder Woman and I'm like, meh.  It was ok.  

To each their own.  It's like music.  You can't tell a person what to like or not, you just like what you like and that's what it's all about. 

That said, the trailers make Justice League look terrible.  I'm a Batman fan boy, so I'll probably like it for that reason alone but man, the previews make it look cartoonish bad. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2017 at 7:11 AM, Kleckineau said:

Finally watched "Get Out"

I dont kow why but despite all the recommendations I wasnt expecting much.

Boy I was wrong. It is terrific!

It had a lot to offer. Good cast, suspenseful, nice social commentary, and some really great humor.

I didn't think it was anything special. Was a little surprised after I watched it, by how many people were gushing over it. I enjoyed it, fun watch but just didn't feel crzy about like others.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I literally have never paid any attention to a review or to a rating.  I see movies I want to see regardless of other opinions.  Most of the time I find out after the fact that the movie I saw was rated good or bad.  Never really know going into it.  I've got a buddy that literally won't see a movie that gets poor ratings.  It's bizarre.  And then I tell him I liked a movie and he'll be like, dude it got so and so on so and so.  I could give 2 sh*ts.  I heard the critics hated Batman vs. Superman.  I loved it.  Don't give **** what they say.   And then they have movies they love like Wonder Woman and I'm like, meh.  It was ok.  

To each their own.  It's like music.  You can't tell a person what to like or not, you just like what you like and that's what it's all about. 

That said, the trailers make Justice League look terrible.  I'm a Batman fan boy, so I'll probably like it for that reason alone but man, the previews make it look cartoonish bad. 

There's a lot of politically correctness now in rating movies.   I thought Wonder Woman was good, but it gets a lot of extra love because it was the first female super hero movie directed by a woman.  At this point, I don't care if its a guy or woman who directs a film.  Hell, I loved The Matrix (and Speed Racer) and I don't know if they Wachowskis are men or women anymore.

I'm not sure how Snyder was entrusted with the DC Movie Universe, I don't think he was a good choice.  Also, Marvel took their time, used solo movies to get you to know their characters, then did the Avengers.   DC is trying to cram all the action of the Justice League in while introducing 3 main heroes and a villian.   That's a LOT to shoe horn into 2 and a half hours.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Funny you say this because I know a couple of people who have seen the movie and they see this movie is like a combination of the Super Friends and Justice League cartoons in terms of tone lol.

Agree with everything you said.  BvS Ultimate Edition IMO is brilliant.  While I did enjoy WW alot, it was over praised by critics because you finally had this iconic femail character with a female director and I dont have a problem with that.  If any movie deserves over praise it is something historical like WW.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Funny you say this because I know a couple of people who have seen the movie and they see this movie is like a combination of the Super Friends and Justice League cartoons in terms of tone lol.

The great irony here is that one of the largest critiques hurled at both MoS and BvS was that they were too serious.

Also worth noting, one of the other main critiques was that both movies tried offering too much story.

Welp, internet movie hardos, you got what you wanted. A nice, cliche, quip-filled "omg the angry antagonist is trying to take over the world"- ******* B-movie directed by none other than Dr. Weneedajokehere, Joss Whedon. Don't blame Warner Bros for this kerfuffled jizzmopper of a movie, blame Tom Shane.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The great irony here is that one of the largest critiques hurled at both MoS and BvS was that they were too serious.

Also worth noting, one of the other main critiques was that both movies tried offering too much story.

Welp, internet movie hardos, you got what you wanted. A nice, cliche, quip-filled "omg the angry antagonist is trying to take over the world"- ******* B-movie directed by none other than Dr. Weneedajokehere, Joss Whedon. Don't blame Warner Bros for this kerfuffled jizzmopper of a movie, blame Tom Shane.

I would like to argue with this. Alas, I cannot. Black Panther will be great, though. So, there’s that!

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I would like to argue with this. Alas, I cannot. Black Panther will be great, though. So, there’s that!

Oooooohhh let me guess, a saucy protagonist with an axe to grind played by a more famous than average-actor will threaten the very existence of Wakanda, and if he succeeds, the world! But wait! Look! It's in AFRICA this time around! It may be the same exact plot to the other 37 movies we have made but now there's rap music in the trailers and funky sounding names! How original! Marvel does it again. This company can do no wrong. Bravo, bravo. Shakespeare wouldn't just be proud, he'd have to masturbate with a belt around his neck in order to comprehend such creativity.

• Haha 1