Movies We've Seen Thread

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Oooooohhh let me guess, a saucy protagonist with an axe to grind played by a more famous than average-actor will threaten the very existence of Wakanda, and if he succeeds, the world! But wait! Look! It's in AFRICA this time around! It may be the same exact plot to the other 37 movies we have made but now there's rap music in the trailers and funky sounding names! How original! Marvel does it again. This company can do no wrong. Bravo, bravo. Shakespeare wouldn't just be proud, he'd have to masturbate with a belt around his neck in order to comprehend such creativity.

You forgot the giant, swirling vortex-portal hovering over Wakanda in the final battle scene.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 11/16/2017 at 11:24 AM, JiF said:

I literally have never paid any attention to a review or to a rating.  I see movies I want to see regardless of other opinions.  Most of the time I find out after the fact that the movie I saw was rated good or bad.  Never really know going into it.  I've got a buddy that literally won't see a movie that gets poor ratings.  It's bizarre.  And then I tell him I liked a movie and he'll be like, dude it got so and so on so and so.  I could give 2 sh*ts.  I heard the critics hated Batman vs. Superman.  I loved it.  Don't give **** what they say.   And then they have movies they love like Wonder Woman and I'm like, meh.  It was ok.  

To each their own.  It's like music.  You can't tell a person what to like or not, you just like what you like and that's what it's all about. 

That said, the trailers make Justice League look terrible.  I'm a Batman fan boy, so I'll probably like it for that reason alone but man, the previews make it look cartoonish bad. 

I appreciate your individualism, but I caught some of BvS on cable and I honestly thought I was watching Battlefield Earth. 

As suspected Justice League was not a very good movie.  The first hour was all over the place trying to connect 10 different storylines.  It does come together eventually and is better the 2nd half of the movie.  

I won’t go further and let everyone get a chance to see it but it was very much as expcexted.  It’s not terrible and has its moments but it’s not good and it’s a shame because it had potential. 

34 minutes ago, Thor99 said:

Honestly, it is. 

Between Remini's show, Haggis' New Yorker piece, and Going Clear, it's hard finding Scientology funny anymore. I used to love piling on them but after knowing all the f'd up crap they do to kids and families it just sucked all the joy out of it. The one exception is Battlefield Earth, it's just too good.

It's like Left Behind. Kirk Cameron can eat a dick but that flick is just too, too amazing.

• Upvote 2

So Justice league is solid.  It's not great, but it has some awesome visuals and nerd moments.  They get all of the characters right especially Superman.  It is clear that the critical reception of BvS caused WB to course correct and change this movie.  You can tell by the editing and reshoots that they wanted to make this movie more Marvel-like (which I cannot stand).  Yet the movie is still getting panned by critics so in a sense WB gets what they deserve.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

So Justice league is solid.  It's not great, but it has some awesome visuals and nerd moments.  They get all of the characters right especially Superman.  It is clear that the critical reception of BvS caused WB to course correct and change this movie.  You can tell by the editing and reshoots that they wanted to make this movie more Marvel-like (which I cannot stand).  Yet the movie is still getting panned by critics so in a sense WB gets what they deserve.   

I did like the characters. I thought the 2nd half was solid.

****spoiler alert***** not that it's a huge spoiler but the way they set up the recruiting I thought was choppy, they were trying to build 10 different storylines and it was just messy.  Once they got into resurrecting Superman, I thought the movie got much better and flowed into a a solid finish.  The special effects were cool, some a little too much but I really liked Flash.  

The attempt to humor it up and use almost cartoonish dialogue at times was unnecessary. It was like confused if it wanted to be serious or silly.  I think they thought Flash was going to be funnier than he was. 

I really just think the screwed it up by not having a movie for all the characters first.  It would have just led into this universe 100000x better. 

On 11/19/2017 at 6:52 AM, gqxluvx said:

Say what you want about BvS but it had its fans (myself included) and made money; and the Ultimate Edition clearly shows the studio cocked up a much better version of the movie. It looks like trying to turn JL into a Marvel movie served to do nothing more than alienate the people like me who enjoyed BvS that would have been stoked for Justice League. I’m actually leaning towards not seeing it in the theater just out of spite so I can contribute to its bombing. My entire life I waited for a JL movie and they blew it this bad. F’n A man.

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Say what you want about BvS but it had its fans (myself included) and made money; and the Ultimate Edition clearly shows the studio cocked up a much better version of the movie. It looks like trying to turn JL into a Marvel movie served to do nothing more than alienate the people like me who enjoyed BvS that would have been stoked for Justice League. I’m actually leaning towards not seeing it in the theater just out of spite so I can contribute to its bombing. My entire life I waited for a JL movie and they blew it this bad. F’n A man.

Dude I am with you on BvS Ultimate Edition.  It is brilliant IMO.  I would just tell you while JL is clearly not in the same aesthetic or tone of BvS, they absolutely nail the characters and the team dynamic is fun.  I think you will enjoy aspects of the film from that perspective.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, the Claw said:

I loved Jadorowsky’s Dune.

I find myself rewatching it as the years pass for inspiration every now and then. His outlook on how everything played out since the project failed is so perfect; its legacy, the other works that it led to, but more importantly just the satisfaction that he has in knowing he went after it his way. Just an awesome dude.

The ending of Andy and Jim reminded me a lot of it.

• Upvote 1

Saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri last night

This was a great movie but not for everyone, or at least those who demand non stop action in their films. This one was an stunning portrait of humanity. The characters were all flawed and complex, and watching this film will invoke strong emotions in most people. It was written/directed by Martin McDonagh (In Bruges)

This will probably not be a big grosser so the Academy might miss the fact that several aspects of the film deserve consideration for that little gold statue. The screen play was flawless and editing perfect. If you are a fan of talented acting, you will love this one. Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell provided one of their best performances in their careers, but the one who stole the show was Frances McDormand. This was definitely her best work since Fargo if not ever

An aside, there is no real place called Ebbing in MO, the film was shot in Sylva, NC on the eastern edge of the Smoky Mts.

Film buff? McDormand fan? Go see this

Marvel comic guy? Pass 

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2017 at 8:52 AM, gqxluvx said:

This.  But as with BvS, I've read that a lot of scenes were deleted.  I can't wait for the director's cut of the flick.

Three Questions:

Was it the Justice League they were supposed to join with Guardians of the Galaxy in one movie or another group?

I was looking at the poster for Justice League last night and I recognized most of the heroes but who/what is Aquaman and what special power does he have?

and ...

Shouldn't GOTG be the a special favorite here? They have a character made of wood that doesn't say anything intelligible, just like everyone here's favorite coach 

20 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

This was a great movie but not for everyone, or at least those who demand non stop action in their films. This one was an stunning portrait of humanity. The characters were all flawed and complex, and watching this film will invoke strong emotions in most people. It was written/directed by Martin McDonagh (In Bruges)

This will probably not be a big grosser so the Academy might miss the fact that several aspects of the film deserve consideration for that little gold statue. The screen play was flawless and editing perfect. If you are a fan of talented acting, you will love this one. Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell provided one of their best performances in their careers, but the one who stole the show was Frances McDormand. This was definitely her best work since Fargo if not ever

An aside, there is no real place called Ebbing in MO, the film was shot in Sylva, NC on the eastern edge of the Smoky Mts.

Marvel comic guy? Pass 

I have 3 Billboards on my list to see. Love Frances Mc. Might go tomorrow night.

• Upvote 2

On 11/22/2017 at 11:54 AM, The Crimson King said:

Marvel comic guy? Pass 

**POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT**

Saw it last night and wow really liked it a lot.

The acting was superb but with the cast you could not expect anything less.

There are a few things about the screenplay that I felt was flawed.

I found it a bit over reaching in the social justice realm.

They should have picked a cause....or 2.... and stuck with it but they tried hard to check all the boxes.

A handful of scenarios in the film force you to suspend reality and this is not the type movie I want to have to do that with. One example would be the brutality of the cop played by Sam Rockwell which was witnessed by so many including the new Chief  who was the antithesis of the brutal cop and yet he was merely fired and not jailed and later was  collaborating with the new chief on the unsolved case?

Some of the humor seemed ill timed and out of place in a movie dealing with such raw human emotion. Did they really need dwarf jokes  or was it a way to shoe horn in another social inequity? (Woody did the same with his posthumous homophobia joke to Rockwell)

OK enough critique.

I am glad to have seen it and will be thinking of it for awhile. It was so moving. Especially Woody's role due to the very recent loss of a confidant and soulmate I was fortunate to have for most of my life.

This is certainly not a movie for the faint of heart. You are going to leave the theater in an emotional state far far different than when you arrived. But go see it. It is powerful.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just came back from Ragnarok.  Thought it was fine, not great.  All these Marvel flicks are melding into the same tripe.  6/10

Yeah, the last one I saw was Captain America Civil War, and that was only because I went with some friends. It was okay. Guardians of the Galaxy was fun (haven't seen the 2nd yet) and the first Iron Man was probably the only great film out of all these MCU movies. I'd get excited if they introduced Jon Bernthal's Punisher (haven't finished the series yet, so no spoilers please) or Gabriel Luna's Ghost Rider (the ONLY reason to watch Agents of Shield) to the movies, but they can't do that because the movies are strictly PG-13, and they couldn't do proper Punisher or Ghost Rider action with a PG-13 rating. But I would love to see Ghost Rider factor into the MCU climax, and the way they've set up his character in the show makes it a possibility.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah, the last one I saw was Captain America Civil War, and that was only because I went with some friends. It was okay. Guardians of the Galaxy was fun (haven't seen the 2nd yet) and the first Iron Man was probably the only great film out of all these MCU movies. I'd get excited if they introduced Jon Bernthal's Punisher (haven't finished the series yet, so no spoilers please) or Gabriel Luna's Ghost Rider (the ONLY reason to watch Agents of Shield) to the movies, but they can't do that because the movies are strictly PG-13, and they couldn't do proper Punisher or Ghost Rider action with a PG-13 rating. But I would love to see Ghost Rider factor into the MCU climax, and the way they've set up his character in the show makes it a possibility.

Logan was really good, different, rated R.

15 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah, I heard good things about that one, but I was never into X-Men. I don't think the X-Men movies are part of the same story arc as the Avengers, though.

No, totally different.   The 1st 2 Wolverine movies were bad, but Logan was excellent.

On 11/30/2017 at 3:17 PM, Spoot-Face said:

A Ghost Rider flick done true to the books would be batsh*t bananas. If there is one character they can go totally off the rails with, even more than Deadpool, it's Ghost Rider.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A Ghost Rider flick done true to the books would be batsh*t bananas. If there is one character they can go totally off the rails with, even more than Deadpool, it's Ghost Rider.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never actually read the comics, even though I've been a fan of Ghost Rider for years, but I'm now finally going to dive into them. I have my eye on Ghost Rider: The Road to Damnation by Garth Ennis, to start. What are your personal recommendations to read?

17 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never actually read the comics, even though I've been a fan of Ghost Rider for years, but I'm now finally going to dive into them. I have my eye on Ghost Rider: The Road to Damnation by Garth Ennis, to start. What are your personal recommendations to read?

For me Jason Aaron's run on Ghost Rider is the best.

Back in the day Marvel had a series called Midnight Sons which was very popular. Actually outsold X-Men in the 90s for a period of time. Teamed up GR with Blade, Morbius, and a few others. Supernatural, dark stuff. Some good and some bad throughout it all. Rise of the Midnight Sons is by far the best of that series.

Road to Damnation is awesome but Ennis' best work is Trail of Tears, in my humble opinion. Hard to find too many books that really go off the rails to that degree. Basic premise is a Confederate soldier during the Civil War becomes the Ghost Rider, and it just gets more ****ed up from there. Ennis is a legend but I think his best work is with Preacher, Hellblazer, and of course Punisher (which coincidentally Jason also did an amazing job on too. Both of those guys always seem to work on the same characters).