Movies We've Seen Thread

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

For me Jason Aaron's run on Ghost Rider is the best.

Back in the day Marvel had a series called Midnight Sons which was very popular. Actually outsold X-Men in the 90s for a period of time. Teamed up GR with Blade, Morbius, and a few others. Supernatural, dark stuff. Some good and some bad throughout it all. Rise of the Midnight Sons is by far the best of that series.

Road to Damnation is awesome but Ennis' best work is Trail of Tears, in my humble opinion. Hard to find too many books that really go off the rails to that degree. Basic premise is a Confederate soldier during the Civil War becomes the Ghost Rider, and it just gets more ****ed up from there. Ennis is a legend but I think his best work is with Preacher, Hellblazer, and of course Punisher (which coincidentally Jason also did an amazing job on too. Both of those guys always seem to work on the same characters).

Thanks for the tips. Now I've got Hell Bent and Heaven Bound, Rise of the Midnight Sons, and Trail of Tears on my personal wishlist. And speaking of Ennis and Punisher, I just ordered Welcome Back, Frank yesterday. Should get here in time for my birthday, as a little gift to myself.

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Thanks for the tips. Now I've got Hell Bent and Heaven Bound, Rise of the Midnight Sons, and Trail of Tears on my personal wishlist. And speaking of Ennis and Punisher, I just ordered Welcome Back, Frank yesterday. Should get here in time for my birthday, as a little gift to myself.

A classic. You’ll enjoy that one. Check out The Slavers and Born after that.

Tuesday afternoon movie for today: Murder on the Orient Express

Obviously a remake of the Agatha Christie classic, I wasn't thrilled to go but this is the Mrs' thing (she reads all the books in this genre) so after dragging her to over 1,000 sporting events, I figured she was due

What I saw was one of the best films I have ever seen. Definitely 4 stars. Well acted (some GREAT performances), screenplay that should take the golden statue from Three Billboards, perfectly shot and edited and another statue for direction.

Can't say too much without giving any of it away but at the end of the movie I wanted to stand up and applaud. Great story and a great movie.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Obviously a remake of the Agatha Christie classic, I wasn't thrilled to go but this is the Mrs' thing (she reads all the books in this genre) so after dragging her to over 1,000 sporting events, I figured she was due

What I saw was one of the best films I have ever seen. Definitely 4 stars. Well acted (some GREAT performances), screenplay that should take the golden statue from Three Billboards, perfectly shot and edited and another statue for direction.

Can't say too much without giving any of it away but at the end of the movie I wanted to stand up and applaud. Great story and a great movie.

Tell me this, is it the same ending as the movie made in 1974?

On 12/5/2017 at 6:01 PM, The Crimson King said:

I loved every minute of it.

Great cast, great acting, scenary was beautiful, from the mountains to the woodwork on the train. 

• Sympathy 1

On 12/5/2017 at 7:01 PM, The Crimson King said:

100% agree. Dragged one of my buddies to see it, becuase I finally had a free night. The acting and screenplay could have been absolute dogsh*t and it would still have been worth seeing. It was such a beautifully shot movie. When you add onto it that the acting and screenplay was awesome, it was definitely one of my favorite movies of the year. I forget what I saw this year, but I remember Hell or High Water being my favorite. Arrival and Wind River were solid as well. 

When most people coming in already know the ending, you have to do something to make it great nevertheless. They did that. And some. Movie is great for everyone. Best would be for those who've never seen or read it prior. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

100% agree. Dragged one of my buddies to see it, becuase I finally had a free night. The acting and screenplay could have been absolute dogsh*t and it would still have been worth seeing. It was such a beautifully shot movie. When you add onto it that the acting and screenplay was awesome, it was definitely one of my favorite movies of the year. I forget what I saw this year, but I remember Hell or High Water being my favorite. Arrival and Wind River were solid as well. 

When most people coming in already know the ending, you have to do something to make it great nevertheless. They did that. And some. Movie is great for everyone. Best would be for those who've never seen or read it prior. 

I knew it, but my date did not.   She was floored by it.

And I so agree, it proves you don't have to spend 200 million on CGI to have a beautiful looking film.

All this talk about movies reminds me of the one of the greatest movies ever made:

The Warriors

Seen this so many times and each time something new pops out. Probably the funniest movie ever made. The worst acting, the silliest plot and writing that is so bad that even MST3000 would have rejected this one 

Best parts of the movie?

The Grammercy Riffs: A huge gang that hangs out in formation in a garage doing nothing while their leader just sits in a chair at night with sunglasses surrounded by ... nothing

The Baseball Furies: Young men wearing Kiss style makeup wielding baseball bats and are amazingly inept. They swing amd miss more than Dave Kingman did

The gang from Bensonhurst: Don't remember their name but apparently they are simply hairdressers who band together

Debra Winger in an early uncredited role

James Remar, he of a long and successful career including Ganz in 48 hours and Richard Wright in Sex in the City apparently long before he started taking any acting lesson at all

Deborah Van Valkenburgh, Jackie from Too Close for Comfort, also before any acting lessons ("C'mon, c'mon") ... way before

The Orphans, who aren't in the network but rumble anyway ... what did they need, a license?

Absolutely no one on the street of the largest city the country other than two couples taking the subway after the prom ... and I mean no one

and of course Lynne Thigpen's lips over a radio station apparently dedicated to insider gang news 

and so much more ... 

caaaaan youuuuuuuuuu diggggitttttt ???????!!!!!!

Any other fans out there? No? whhimmps (said with a lipse)

funny thing is that Sol Yurick's novel that this was based on was actually realistic and dark. There was supposed to be a sequel movie but the guy making it passed away before getting too far. Reviewing the first one must have killed him.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

All this talk about movies reminds me of the one of the greatest movies ever made:

The Warriors

Seen this so many times and each time something new pops out. Probably the funniest movie ever made. The worst acting, the silliest plot and writing that is so bad that even MST3000 would have rejected this one 

Best parts of the movie?

The Grammercy Riffs: A huge gang that hangs out in formation in a garage doing nothing while their leader just sits in a chair at night with sunglasses surrounded by ... nothing

The Baseball Furies: Young men wearing Kiss style makeup wielding baseball bats and are amazingly inept. They swing amd miss more than Dave Kingman did

The gang from Bensonhurst: Don't remember their name but apparently they are simply hairdressers who band together

Debra Winger in an early uncredited role

James Remar, he of a long and successful career including Ganz in 48 hours and Richard Wright in Sex in the City apparently long before he started taking any acting lesson at all

Deborah Van Valkenburgh, Jackie from Too Close for Comfort, also before any acting lessons ("C'mon, c'mon") ... way before

The Orphans, who aren't in the network but rumble anyway ... what did they need, a license?

Absolutely no one on the street of the largest city the country other than two couples taking the subway after the prom ... and I mean no one

and of course Lynne Thigpen's lips over a radio station apparently dedicated to insider gang news 

and so much more ... 

caaaaan youuuuuuuuuu diggggitttttt ???????!!!!!!

Any other fans out there? No? whhimmps (said with a lipse)

funny thing is that Sol Yurick's novel that this was based on was actually realistic and dark. There was supposed to be a sequel movie but the guy making it passed away before getting too far. Reviewing the first one must have killed him.

The geography is totally off. As per the stations they filmed at chronologically they're basically going in a circle.

Same thing in "Saturday Night Fever"-Tony goes up and back on the R train without really getting anywhere.

"Narcos" every NYC scene, be it Queens or Manhattan is St. Nick and 125th St. Though in fairness the intro to Chepe when you think he's in a lab in the jungle and he's really at 125th Street under the el was one of the coolest scenes in a great show. 

I'm probably going to catch sh*t for this but Bright is not that bad. After reading the reviews I thought it was going to be laughably bad and it is not. I think peeps just went into this taking it way too seriously, and some of that is probably Ayer's fault. If you're a LOTR fan it's a fun premise and there is a lot to like.

On 12/22/2017 at 3:09 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm probably going to catch sh*t for this but Bright is not that bad. After reading the reviews I thought it was going to be laughably bad and it is not. I think peeps just went into this taking it way too seriously, and some of that is probably Ayer's fault. If you're a LOTR fan it's a fun premise and there is a lot to like.

An old friend of mine insisted I watch it  he loved it 

Logan Lucky - Just a fun watch from start to end. If you like the Oceans 11 movies, then you'll enjoy this. The southern accents is one of the best parts of it. 

Wind River - Jeremy Renner kills it in this. Kinda moves slow but still kept me interested and the ending alone is worth it. 

On 12/22/2017 at 3:09 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I liked Bright.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, SenorGato said:

Great Walll rotfl 

THE-GREAT-WALL-5.gif

Just watched this on DVR

If you suspend any knowledge of real history and ignore the plot holes (the size of volcanic craters) it was pretty good visually and ... uh ... visually

You could tell that they didn't use the real Wall. The Taotie would never have been able to attack as they would have been surrounded by hoards trying to sell them something ... ('Olexx? 'Olexx? Pocadd? Pocadd?) and would have never been able to pronounce "Bu Yao"

Just watched 2 movies today..Dunkirk which I loved and think is a brilliant, understated way to show a battle....

And Platoon, which I forgot was such a clunky piece of sh*t. Wow. Hey, I have an idea, lets use the same ******* piece of music over and over and over and over again....Oh and , "Dear Grandma, today we murdered gooks and I smoked weed with the hip black guys". WTF. LOL. So bad. Complete failure but lauded because, like, 'Nam was bad and all the soldiers were scumbags.....

.....And then he dedicated it to those who fought and died in Vietnam.