Movies We've Seen Thread

5 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Battle Angel Alita. (I'm sorry, I'm not using the Hollywood version of the title)

I went in expecting the usual Hollywood bastardization of the source material, resulting in a mess.

I an happy to say I was wrong. Excellent film.

Giant eyed robot girls weird me out. 

5 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Battle Angel Alita. (I'm sorry, I'm not using the Hollywood version of the title)

I went in expecting the usual Hollywood bastardization of the source material, resulting in a mess.

I an happy to say I was wrong. Excellent film.

This seems to be the general consensus from everyone I know that's seen it. Have to say it's great to hear, it's been a long time since Robert Rodriguez made something entertaining. He used to be one of the real risk takers in Hollywood.

On 2/8/2019 at 5:49 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

the doc on Netflix called abducted in plain sight might be the most batsh it story I have ever seen. def check it out. 

I had read an article on it and saw your post - decided to check it out last nite w/ wife who every 5 mins kept saying  "wtf" and "why?" - truly messed up sheeyat

Finally saw First Man, wife and I watched. Huge NASA/Space Exploration nerd, saw The Right Stuff in the theatre at 12, my favorite movie ever. 

This was a really, really good movie. I don't know how much liberty was taken in depicting Armstrongs very private life, but that was a rivieting film. The flight sequences were amazing, and knowing what was going to happen to some of the characters was gut wrenching. I had an actual stomach ache when Apollo 1 was getting into the Capsule.

This was the spiritual sequel to TRS, I just wish the ending wasnt quite so abrupt, though.

• Upvote 3

Went and saw the Peter Jackson They Shall Not Grow Old.

Wow.   Amazing what they were able to do with the old footage.  All the dialogue is taken from interviews with the actual soldiers who were there.   It is eye opening, just amazing stuff.   After the movie, they have an extra 20 minute optional thing of how they did it, and that was 100% worth watching as well.   I really, really recommend seeing it.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2019 at 6:49 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

the doc on Netflix called abducted in plain sight might be the most batsh it story I have ever seen. def check it out. 

DUDE!!!!  WTF!!!????!!!!  CRAZY!!!!!

I'm still trying to figure out how those parents were allowed to keep their children after that story.  My gawd.  Sure, dude was a master manipulator but that whole situation was 99% their fault. 

5 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm still trying to figure out how those parents were allowed to keep their children after that story.  My gawd.  Sure, dude was a master manipulator but that whole situation was 99% their fault. 

lol - he turned the husband gay......lawdy lawdy!!!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JiF said:

i literally yelled no way like 5 times. those parents are the worst to ever procreate. just a bunch of dopes. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2019 at 11:50 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

My favorite part of Abducted in Plain Sight is at the end when the guy tries to take the "you're doing this only for fame and money" angle, and normally when that happens the jejune sides of America harumph said accusation into truth; but finally in this instance even the courts were like "go **** yourself buddy."

Couldn't believe this documentary, had a hard time believing the parents were this gullible

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I got to see a limited screening of this movie:

I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was one of the most original science fiction movies I have seen in a long time. It's like Event Horizon meets Interstellar meets One Flew the Cuckoo's Nest meets Skinemax.

It's a shame Pattinson will forever be typecast as the Twilight guy. He's a damn good actor.

• Sympathy 1

On 2/28/2019 at 2:14 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was one of the most original science fiction movies I have seen in a long time. It's like Event Horizon meets Interstellar meets One Flew the Cuckoo's Nest meets Skinemax.

It's a shame Pattinson will forever be typecast as the Twilight guy. He's a damn good actor.

Thanks for posting this trailer.  Can't wait to see this flick.  Looks insane.

Got tickets to captain marvel at the new Dolby theater at the AMC complex 

Recliners and assigned seats 

Have a bad feeling based on the trailers that the best part of the movie might be the after credit scene lol

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Larz said:

Got tickets to captain marvel at the new Dolby theater at the AMC complex 

Recliners and assigned seats 

Have a bad feeling based on the trailers that the best part of the movie might be the after credit scene lol

I have the same feeling too.  Nonetheless, I've got tickets reserved for a noon Saturday showing.

On 2/28/2019 at 2:14 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Looks depressing.

The dude who made Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 just put out a new one called Dragged Across Concrete and it is ******* AWESOME. Gloriously violent like his previous two but a crazy plot that completely goes off the rails. Not as much of a Grindhouse flick as Cell Block 99, which I was kind of hoping for, but man, what a story.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:01 PM, rillo said:

Couldn't believe this documentary, had a hard time believing the parents were this gullible

My read on it was that the dad was obviously gay and they were in a loveless marriage -- and that the guy seduced both of them and blackmailed them in their religious community into letting him be with the daughter. No way they're that stupid, he had leverage on them.

• Upvote 1

Captain marvel was better than the after credit scene, go figure lol

Brie Larson has short legs and her intense super hero running is adorable!!!! 

The recliners in the Dolby theater were epic. 

Thing is the seats in the center get the awesome sound, I'm a back row guy and the sound was just very good not amaze balls 

Gonna sit in the center for godzilla and pray for polite neighbors 

Finally streamed The Favourite.  Enjoyed it, but not as good as I expected.  Overall 8/10 for me whilst I was anticipating a solid 10.

Think the TV commercials portrayed it badly.  Seemed more light hearted and humorous in the ads than the actual film.  Also a real dead spot toward the end of dreaded second act.  

Although I thought Olivia Colman was very good in the role of the queen.  Best performance in the flick belonged to Rachel Weisz.

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I finally watched Infinity War and it was wonderful but, boy, kinda sad. They get that time stone and bring back the marketable people, I’d imagine. Josh Brolin makes every movie better. The new Costner

Dont worry, Captain Marvel(!) is coming, and shes a grrrrrl.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:35 AM, Fantasy Island said:

Captain Marvel was very boring until the last 20 minutes.  The cat is the best part of the movie.

Soooo mediocre.  Just blah.  Nothing.  No emotion, no humor,  just a cgi sam jackson and a cat.

• Upvote 1