Movies We've Seen Thread

On 4/13/2019 at 9:50 PM, Fantasy Island said:

Yes , great movie.  Wasn't expecting much and was really surprised.   Maybe Shazam set the bar to high for seeing Hellboy the next week.

Nah, Hellboy is trash.  

This  - very low expectations going and left the theater pleasantly surprised

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught Glass. Big fan and I'm happy that I paid to rent it because I enjoy how M. Night put himself out there in how he financed his last few films. He's become a good underdog story in Hollywood and I root for him big time now.

Perhaps I'm a bit biased because of that, and also I've always been a huge Unbreakable fan, but I think there's a tendency to default to cynicism and backlash when any director tries something different with the comic book movie genre; and let's be honest it's become a truly awful genre, with 9 out of every 10 movies being the same god damn story.  The story in Glass was definitely slow in some parts and probably could have benefited from being about 20-25 minutes shorter, but for me I felt the last 30-40 minutes were an original take on things and also brought a fitting sense of closure to the entire story. I enjoyed it a lot and at least for me, it's cool viewing all 3 movies as one piece now.

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

Careful out there, endgame reviews are popping up 

might have to restrict my internet to this nuthouse until Saturday lol

thats what im doing. went on twitter and muted everyone but the jets beat reporters in the hopes that I wont catch any spoilers till I see it sunday morning. 

• Upvote 1

Watched Glass the other day.  Meh.  Slow and kind of boring but also a cool concept how they tied the 2 movies together.  It's good, not great.  Worth a watch for sure if you enjoyed unbreakable and/or split. 

I watched Purge The Beginning and it's probably the worst movie I've ever watched in my life. 

17 hours ago, Larz said:

Careful out there, endgame reviews are popping up 

might have to restrict my internet to this nuthouse until Saturday lol

Lost all interest in the Marvel crap. Just...poof. gone. Apathy just kind of set in. 

Disney Star Wars I am now actively avoiding and completely despise. I've actually taken to trolling the bought and paid for YouTube "fan pages" that slurp all over DSW....looking at you, Collider. RedLetterMedia has become a form if therapy for me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Lost all interest in the Marvel crap. Just...poof. gone. Apathy just kind of set in. 

Disney Star Wars I am now actively avoiding and completely despise. I've actually taken to trolling the bought and paid for YouTube "fan pages" that slurp all over DSW....looking at you, Collider. RedLetterMedia has become a form if therapy for me

I felt this way about Endgame until I ran into an acquaintance that was at the premier. He didn't spoil anything for me but he did tell me that Endgame is the best Captain America movie of the entire franchise, so that motivated me to grab a ticket for tomorrow. If there is one original thing that Marvel has gotten right, it's the Cap franchise, all 3 movies IMO are still great and if Endgame plays up Cap I'm all in for it.

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I felt this way about Endgame until I ran into an acquaintance that was at the premier. He didn't spoil anything for me but he did tell me that Endgame is the best Captain America movie of the entire franchise, so that motivated me to grab a ticket for tomorrow. If there is one original thing that Marvel has gotten right, it's the Cap franchise, all 3 movies IMO are still great and if Endgame plays up Cap I'm all in for it.

Yeah, Captain America is the most interesting character to me. I'm bored with Stark/Ironman/Snarky RDJ, Thor is meh, not a big fan of Guardians, don't care about any of the rest of them, sat out the Thanos movie, BP, and Captain Gender studies. 

So, really, there's not much of a draw left for me. I'll rent it on Amazon in August. Maybe.

On 4/25/2019 at 4:21 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah, Captain America is the most interesting character to me. I'm bored with Stark/Ironman/Snarky RDJ, Thor is meh, not a big fan of Guardians, don't care about any of the rest of them, sat out the Thanos movie, BP, and Captain Gender studies. 

So, really, there's not much of a draw left for me. I'll rent it on Amazon in August. Maybe.

It was really good.  Like amazing

Endgame was a fulfilling and satisfying conclusion to the infinity Saga.  Pump the brakes on the best superhero movie ever.  This movie delivers, especially the last hour but there are certainly some things that can be questioned.

Will delve into more once people have seen it.

• Upvote 2

Endgame is good, not great. Last hour is pretty epic. The plot device for setting everything up was kind of lame. Worth seeing in the theater. I am hoping that Marvel can move on to telling some original plot lines now, if not I think I’m done. 

Definitely not the best comic movie ever btw. That title always goes to Dredd. I’m not sure I would have any of the Marvel movies even in my top 5.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Endgame is good, not great. Last hour is pretty epic. The plot device for setting everything up was kind of lame. Worth seeing in the theater. I am hoping that Marvel can move on to telling some original plot lines now, if not I think I’m done. 

Definitely not the best comic movie ever btw. That title always goes to Dredd. I’m not sure I would have any of the Marvel movies even in my top 5.

Dredd was ******* good. Its a clinic in filmmaking.

• Upvote 1

I saw Avengers Endgame. It was fine. I’d watch a movie about an alcoholic Thor trying to straighten up to win Natalie Portman back, but none of the obvious spinoffs will interest me in the least. An Anthony Mackie Captain America movie would bore me into a coma. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I saw Avengers Endgame. It was fine. I’d watch a movie about an alcoholic Thor trying to straighten up to win Natalie Portman back, but none of the obvious spinoffs will interest me in the least. An Anthony Mackie Captain America movie would bore me into a coma. 

I believe the plan is to do a spin-off series with him and Bucky.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

endgame was a great way to conclude the whole infinity thing.   there were some amazing parts.  i still think dark night is the best superhero movie tho.  i liked infinity wars a tad better as well but this was a very good movie

Dark Knight for the win. 

Endgame was a good conclusion but it didn't hold a candle to Infinity War.

The pacing seemed a bit off and it all felt very rushed in the last hour. I think at times with these crossovers they try and force interactions. Not a big fan with the changes to some characters, one in particular, and think some characters should have been introduced after this Phase was done. They sort of felt out of place.

Felt Paul Rudd and Karen Gillan were the star performers along with the three main characters – The acting was on point across both movies.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Big Lebowski homage was good

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I believe the plan is to do a spin-off series with him and Bucky.

Given how wrong I was about Bernthal probably being a bad Punisher, I'll defer and ask what are your thoughts on this Mackie Cap thing? He's not even a super soldier.

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Given how wrong I was about Bernthal probably being a bad Punisher, I'll defer and ask what are your thoughts on this Mackie Cap thing? He's not even a super soldier.

Wasn't sure what to expect from the Punisher after the crap movie but I really liked Bernthal and the show.  The first season more so, but both seasons pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Wasn't sure what to expect from the Punisher after the crap movie but I really liked Bernthal and the show.  The first season more so, but both seasons pretty good.

I loved it, but I wasn’t thrilled about the casting of Bernthal because he was short and one-note (even though he was my favorite character on TWD). Obviously, I was wrong and he ended up being great

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I loved it, but I wasn’t thrilled about the casting of Bernthal because he was short and one-note (even though he was my favorite character on TWD). Obviously, I was wrong and he ended up being great

It's weird, he's short but doesn't come of so.  He looked like a beast in the Punisher.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Someone needs to keep making The Punisher, btw. 

Hope somebody picks it up.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Falcon took up the shield in the comics for quite a bit and there are some good stories, Bucky did too.

Personally I don’t even care anymore.  People will bitch and analyze despite having no idea what they’re talking about. Whatever they do with the character I’m sure it’ll be the same dumb plot lines Marvel always does with the MCU stuff. Superhero movies have gotten tedious and boring to me. I mostly saw Endgame out of boredom. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1