Movies We've Seen Thread

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Someone needs to keep making The Punisher, btw. 

Could easily see Hulu picking it up. Disney now owns a major stake of it after the FOX acquisition.

But if it does get picked up, I want a new show runner. Because this Steve Lightfoot f*cker seems hellbent on giving Frank Castle some sort of redemption angle.

The 2nd season of Daredevil left off in the perfect place for Frank to totally transition into the Punisher. With him blowing up his old family home and walking away with the skull vest and trenchcoat with minigun in hand.

Then that’s thrown away literally 5 minutes into his own show.

They act like they’re too scared to really go for it with the Punisher. Which is a shame, because in the few moments you get of Frank actually acting like the Punisher, Bernthal is fantastic in the role.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Given how wrong I was about Bernthal probably being a bad Punisher, I'll defer and ask what are your thoughts on this Mackie Cap thing? He's not even a super soldier.

The show with him and Bucky will be fine.  Aside from Mackie being a complete sh*tbag in real life, he's fine as Falcon and as RJF mentioned this storyline has played out in the comics.  They will probably lean on the buddy dynamic that Cap and Falcon had and just use Bucky the same way.  

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

The Big Lebowski homage was good

Better when you consider he was the villain who started all this sh*t.

Whatever flaws they may have it is truly astounding what Marvel have managed to pull off – They’ve revolutionised the industry. 

I’ve seen all but one of the MCU films (Incredible Hulk) and the only one I would say is a poor movie is Thor II. Infinity War, Guardians, Ragnarok and Winter Soldier were genuinely outstanding films in their own way. Any other one I could sit and watch if it was on. Considering how easily a Super Hero film can go wrong (DCEU lol) it’s incredible the standard they’ve maintained in a shared universe. 

They’ll have to reinvent themselves after Endgame given how long they’d been building it up – It is probably their biggest challenge yet. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/3/2019 at 11:32 AM, gqxluvx said:

The show with him and Bucky will be fine.  Aside from Mackie being a complete sh*tbag in real life, he's fine as Falcon and as RJF mentioned this storyline has played out in the comics.  They will probably lean on the buddy dynamic that Cap and Falcon had and just use Bucky the same way.  

I didn’t realize the Anthony Mackie spin-off was going to be a TV show. I guess there’s a niche for that, though I notice it’s called “Falcon and Winter Soldier”? So they’re never going to do much with Mackie as Cap? 

I watched Deadpool 2 and it was very good and fun. They’re doing god’s work with this franchise and I hope they keep making them forever. Josh Brolin improves every movie he’s in. There was one exchange between Brolin and Reynolds I’ve been laughing about for two days straight 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I watched Deadpool 2 and it was very good and fun. They’re doing god’s work with this franchise and I hope they keep making them forever. Josh Brolin improves every movie he’s in. There was one exchange between Brolin and Reynolds I’ve been laughing about for two days straight 

I saw some commentary recently about comic book movies have become so big they now influence our perception of all of cinema simply by the weight of their gravity. I think it was a good point.

I enjoyed DP2, particularly poking fun at super hero/comic book tropes while actively engaging in them. But I dunno, it kind of fell flat after the first time and it seemed like I was watching the same super hero movie that's being released every 2 weeks and the breaking the 4th wall stuff just seemed like a shallow gimick. It's becomming a hollow parody of a parody.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

I saw some commentary recently about comic book movies have become so big they now influence our perception of all of cinema simply by the weight of their gravity. I think it was a good point.

I enjoyed DP2, particularly poking fun at super hero/comic book tropes while actively engaging in them. But I dunno, it kind of fell flat after the first time and it seemed like I was watching the same super hero movie that's being released every 2 weeks and the breaking the 4th wall stuff just seemed like a shallow gimick. It's becomming a hollow parody of a parody.

I guess, but Reynolds is fun, the story asks nothing of you, and you’re just left with dopey jokes and ultraviolence, which is always a satisfying combo. I recently rewatched John Wick again. I didn’t like it the first time I saw it because it felt like every other recycled revenge movie, but I’ve seen it, now, twice since and if you watch it as an homage/mild rebuke to/of Death Wish, old Clint Eastwood revenge westerns, Mad Max, etc, it’s a pretty delightful movie to watch. Like, what would happen if your ridiculous protagonist is similarly awesome, but actually got ****ed up? I feel that way about these Deadpool flicks. Good, dumb, movie-watching

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I guess, but Reynolds is fun, the story asks nothing of you, and you’re just left with dopey jokes and ultraviolence

I really enjoyed the first one, the second one was just more of the same.  It's not that I don't like dopey jokes and violence, I do, but we've been inundated with these movies in recent years and they have a sort of pop culture inertia that almost mandates you to see them. Either because everyone else has seen them or every other "big" movie is super hero related leaving your options limited.

I dunno, it feels like work at this point. That's how I feel about End game. It feels more like something I should do than something I want to do so I wont be the only one at Mother's day dinner next week who hasn't seen it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CTM said:

I really enjoyed the first one, the second one was just more of the same.  It's not that I don't like dopey jokes and violence, I do, but we've been inundated with these movies in recent years and they have a sort of pop culture inertia that almost mandates you to see them. Either because everyone else has seen them or every other "big" movie is super hero related leaving your options limited.

I dunno, it feels like work at this point. That's how I feel about End game. It feels more like something I should do than something I want to do so I wont be the only one at Mother's day dinner next week who hasn't seen it.

Endgame wasn’t bad, but it was definitely work, definitely could have shed an hour of running time and lost nothing, and the closing 35 minutes are so self-congratulatory that you just want it over with. Hemsworth is fun in it, though. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Endgame wasn’t bad, but it was definitely work, definitely could have shed an hour of running time and lost nothing, and the closing 35 minutes are so self-congratulatory that you just want it over with. Hemsworth is fun in it, though. 

As a story it's incredibly lazy, like most of the MCU in hindsight. Infinity into Endgame felt to me a lot like The Hobbit movies in the sense that so much was stretched out needlessly to just double the box office; and that's fine and also obvious, but when you can actually feel that throughout the movies, that's a different kind of lameness. Not to mention that the plot device for Endgame, while true to the comics, was already played out in other superhero movies, so that felt played out.

What saved Endgame at least for me was good writing and the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously. Just some funny dialogue, closure, and a ridiculously epic battle scene; that's worth seeing on the big screen, but for me the real test of something is how well it holds up over time. As in, are these movies I can see myself watching again and again as the years go on? Excepting the Cap movies and Ragnarok, I don't think so.

Say what you want about DC, but at least they try, or at least they used to before they started with WW and Aquaman aka imitation Marvel movies. But Joker looks unique if nothing else, and bringing on Matt Reeves for Batman reeks of some serious cojones being injected into Batman. Tbh in the rare instances where I'm in the mood to watch any sort of comic-universe movie I find myself reaching for the Ultimate Edition of BvS way more than anything Marvel. And quite frankly from a cinematic standpoint I think the John Wick franchise is cooler than all of them.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

As a story it's incredibly lazy, like most of the MCU in hindsight. Infinity into Endgame felt to me a lot like The Hobbit movies in the sense that so much was stretched out needlessly to just double the box office; and that's fine and also obvious, but when you can actually feel that throughout the movies, that's a different kind of lameness. Not to mention that the plot device for Endgame, while true to the comics, was already played out in other superhero movies, so that felt played out.

What saved Endgame at least for me was good writing and the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously. Just some funny dialogue, closure, and a ridiculously epic battle scene; that's worth seeing on the big screen, but for me the real test of something is how well it holds up over time. As in, are these movies I can see myself watching again and again as the years go on? Excepting the Cap movies and Ragnarok, I don't think so.

Say what you want about DC, but at least they try, or at least they used to before they started with WW and Aquaman aka imitation Marvel movies. But Joker looks unique if nothing else, and bringing on Matt Reeves for Batman reeks of some serious cojones being injected into Batman. Tbh in the rare instances where I'm in the mood to watch any sort of comic-universe movie I find myself reaching for the Ultimate Edition of BvS way more than anything Marvel. And quite frankly from a cinematic standpoint I think the John Wick franchise is cooler than all of them.

I just read some rumors about how Marvel is going to explainify the continued existence of all the characters the Russo brothers supposedly killed off and, boy, is it terrible. 

Hell boy really stands the test of time 

sure I had a love craft phase but even if you never read any lovecraft it’s just a fun movie 

watched it for the 10th time over the weekend and it kept my interest all the way through 

End Game was really good, not as good as Infinity War, but a really nice conclusion to a decades worth of films.

That being said, I have basically zero interest in the MCU moving forward. I couldn't give a flying rats a$$hole about Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Ant-Man 3, etc.

Maybe that will change when they eventually introduce Dr. Doom (and hopefully finally do him justice), Silver Surfer, Galactus, the X-Men, Fantasic Four (same as Doom), etc but even then, we’ve already had 20 years worth of X-Men movies and X-Men spinoff movies. And none of the future efforts are bound to be as good as Logan anyway.

I predict that Superhero fatigue will definitely start to set in moving forward.

The big story has already been told and most of the original casts contracts are up. Fan favorites like RDJ as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Cap, and most likely Chris Hemsworth as Thor are no more.

My guess is they’ll rely on Tom Holland’s Spider-Man and Captain Marvel as the heavy hitters moving forward. Problem is Brie Larson has the charisma of a dish rag and already rubbed plenty of people the wrong way before she even debuted her flat take on the character.

I’ll give Marvel and Disney all the credit for pulling this Cinematic Universe thing together and somehow making it work. They’ve had a great run for over a decade now with 20+ critically and commercially successful movies. But if anyone thinks they have another 20 in them they’re kidding themselves IMO. And that’s coming from a lifelong comic nerd.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

End Game was really good, not as good as Infinity War, but a really nice conclusion to a decades worth of films.

That being said, I have basically zero interest in the MCU moving forward. I couldn't give a flying rats a$$hole about Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Ant-Man 3, etc.

Maybe that will change when they eventually introduce Dr. Doom (and hopefully finally do him justice), Silver Surfer, Galactus, the X-Men, Fantasic Four (same as Doom), etc but even then, we’ve already had 20 years worth of X-Men movies and X-Men spinoff movies. And none of the future efforts are bound to be as good as Logan anyway.

I predict that Superhero fatigue will definitely start to set in moving forward.

The big story has already been told and most of the original casts contracts are up. Fan favorites like RDJ as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Cap, and most likely Chris Hemsworth as Thor are no more.

My guess is they’ll rely on Tom Holland’s Spider-Man and Captain Marvel as the heavy hitters moving forward. Problem is Brie Larson has the charisma of a dish rag and already rubbed plenty of people the wrong way before she even debuted her flat take on the character.

I’ll give Marvel and Disney all the credit for pulling this Cinematic Universe thing together and somehow making it work. They’ve had a great run for over a decade now with 20+ critically and commercially successful movies. But if anyone thinks they have another 20 in them they’re kidding themselves IMO. And that’s coming from a lifelong comic nerd.

I definitely think they are going in that direction and I expect an announcement at Comic Con this year. F4 is one of Marvel's original properties and none of the movies have been good. The MCU has already been veering into the cosmic characters and F4 fit perfectly into that. Honestly, I think I'd rather see solo Doom and Surfer movies before relaunching F4 again. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I definitely think they are going in that direction and I expect an announcement at Comic Con this year. F4 is one of Marvel's original properties and none of the movies have been good. The MCU has already been veering into the cosmic characters and F4 fit perfectly into that. Honestly, I think I'd rather see solo Doom and Surfer movies before relaunching F4 again. 

Definitely agreed on solo Doom and Silver Surfer movies.

I still say Gary Oldman could pull off an awesome Doom. Don’t care if some consider him too old, RDJ is in his mid-50’s and was just going toe-to-toe with Thanos. You can get 60 year old Gary Oldman to play Doom for 5 years. He should be wearing the mask and simply talking narcissistic sh*t at least 95% of the time anyway.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don't think they're going to try and keep much of an adult audience going forwards anyways. The ComicCon audience is always important but the real money for Disney comes in with the family of 5 that needs to find stuff to do with their kids. So they'll go see the movie, dress them up for Halloween, and then take them to Anaheim or Orlando on trips. And that aspect is never going anywhere, because no matter how tired adults get of the same sh*t, they still need to shut their godforsaken kids up.

• Upvote 1

And if Disney is really hell bent on continuing this for another decade or more, they’re definitely going to need to eventually shake up the formula.

Have something like an R-rated branch for a Punisher movie, a Daredevil movie, a Blade movie, a Moon Knight movie, etc.

Hell, I’d love to see an R-rated solo Kingpin movie with Vincent D’Onofrio reprising the role.

Those are also all street-level heroes/villains that don’t need $150-200+ million budgets set aside for them with a bunch of flashy CGI effects.

You could make the ultimate Punisher movie just by tossing Jon Bernthal back in the role, giving it a $50-60 million budget, rip the plot from pretty much any Garth Ennis Punisher MAX story, don’t hold back on the violence, and go with 100% practical effects. No bullsh*t CG blood and gore. Just old-school squib packs and prosthetics.

Would be awesome.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

59 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And if Disney is really hell bent on continuing this for another decade or more, they’re definitely going to need to eventually shake up the formula.

Have something like an R-rated branch for a Punisher movie, a Daredevil movie, a Blade movie, a Moon Knight movie, etc.

Hell, I’d love to see an R-rated solo Kingpin movie with Vincent D’Onofrio reprising the role.

Those are also all street-level heroes/villains that don’t need $150-200+ million budgets set aside for them with a bunch of flashy CGI effects.

You could make the ultimate Punisher movie just by tossing Jon Bernthal back in the role, giving it a $50-60 million budget, rip the plot from pretty much any Garth Ennis Punisher MAX story, don’t hold back on the violence, and go with 100% practical effects. No bullsh*t CG blood and gore. Just old-school squib packs and prosthetics.

Would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Would be awesome.

For sure, but what's the point for them? The problem is none of the numbers say they have to do this. In the past year and a half they've put out 3 of the top-10 grossing movies in history. Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars, which is insane. If I told you 10 years ago that Captain Marvel would go on to outgross any Batman movie ever made, would you have believed me?

Think about that for a second. Why bother making lower budget stuff, hoping you'll pull in $100 million, when you're pulling in billions? Where's the interest?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:23 AM, T0mShane said:

I guess, but Reynolds is fun, the story asks nothing of you, and you’re just left with dopey jokes and ultraviolence, which is always a satisfying combo. I recently rewatched John Wick again. I didn’t like it the first time I saw it because it felt like every other recycled revenge movie, but I’ve seen it, now, twice since and if you watch it as an homage/mild rebuke to/of Death Wish, old Clint Eastwood revenge westerns, Mad Max, etc, it’s a pretty delightful movie to watch. Like, what would happen if your ridiculous protagonist is similarly awesome, but actually got ****ed up? I feel that way about these Deadpool flicks. Good, dumb, movie-watching

Reynolds IS fun.  Samuel Jackson is also fun.  You know what's the most fun possible?  Both of them together.  

If you haven't seen 'The Hit Man's Bodyguard' then you are in for a treat.  Absolutely perfect movie.  It's like they took the best part of 48 Hours and made it 10x better.

• WTF? 1

Here's where Marvel is supposedly going over the next 2 years.

I can't see myself being as big into these movies.  I grew up collecting Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America & Spiderman comics.  I have no idea who the Eternals are or who Shang-Chi is.

Right now they have 6 all but formally confirmed movies for 9 scheduled release dates...without a mention of Captain Marvel 2 which is almost certainly to happen as well.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/upcoming-marvel-movies-release-dates-for-phase-3-and-4-67944.html

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Here's where Marvel is supposedly going over the next 2 years.

I can't see myself being as big into these movies.  I grew up collecting Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America & Spiderman comics.  I have no idea who the Eternals are or who Shang-Chi is.

Right now they have 6 all but formally confirmed movies for 9 scheduled release dates...without a mention of Captain Marvel 2 which is almost certainly to happen as well.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/upcoming-marvel-movies-release-dates-for-phase-3-and-4-67944.html

I get the feeling that phase 2 MCU is going to be heavily focused on diversity.  Which isn't a bad thing unless it's taking priority over making good movies.  Black Panther absolutely worked.  But I'm a little concerned about the rush to get the next 10 'underrepresented' groups into feature roles because it may start to feel forced and water down the overall canvas.  Marvel could do it in the comics because there isn't much cost/time/risk involved in pumping out another book.  I'm not sure the same applies to movies. 

I fear that we may just have seen the end of the golden age of super-hero movies unless X-Men or FF get done well for a change (well X-Men had some moments, but FF has sucked in every iteration).

19 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Definitely agreed on solo Doom and Silver Surfer movies.

I still say Gary Oldman could pull off an awesome Doom. Don’t care if some consider him too old, RDJ is in his mid-50’s and was just going toe-to-toe with Thanos. You can get 60 year old Gary Oldman to play Doom for 5 years. He should be wearing the mask and simply talking narcissistic sh*t at least 95% of the time anyway.

I love Oldman, but I'd like to see Javier Bardam as Doom to give him more of a foreign/gypsy feel (he is from Latveria after all). 

5 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Anyone have a good movie that does involve reality....ie. Rocky, Godfather, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan????????

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Rocky involves reality???

He could try Chuck (aka the Bayonne Bleeder) about Chuck Wepner the real-life inspiration for Rocky.  It stars Ray Donovan as Chuck and his brother Darryl as Ali.  I watched some of it and it seemed interesting, but I didn't finish it. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He could try Chuck (aka the Bayonne Bleeder) about Chuck Wepner the real-life inspiration for Rocky.  It stars Ray Donovan and Chuck and his brother Darryl as Ali.  I watched some of it and it seemed interesting, but I didn't finish it. 

I have met Chuck Wepner a bunch of times and he's awesome but Rocky is 100% fantasy. Wepner got the sh*t kicked out of him by Ali and Wepner fought dirty as hell the entire fight.

Chuck the movie is terrible.

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Rocky is 100% fantasy. Wepner got the sh*t kicked out of him by Ali and Wepner fought dirty as hell the entire fight.

Chuck the movie is terrible.

You mean Wepner didn't really go to Siberia, run in snow and end the cold war?  I saw the Wepner-Ali fight live on television.  I hated that goon at the time.  I was a Frazier fan back then.  The movie seemed okay except the overdone accents, but the alcoholism angle got a bit tiring and we turned it off, probably for some cartoon for my son. 

• Upvote 1