Movies We've Seen Thread

On 7/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Rocketman was good. The Rocketman scene specifically is the best scene I've seen in any movie in i don't even know how long. Yesterday is a fantastic premise horribly ruined.

No doubt on Yesterday. Could have been an amazing  moving and instead they mailed it in with one cliche after another. Music was great, wife and daughter liked it but damn could have been so much more. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

No doubt on Yesterday. Could have been an amazing  moving and instead they mailed it in with one cliche after another. Music was great, wife and daughter liked it but damn could have been so much more. 

Right? I mean, anybody who says that they didn't daydream as a kid about some variation of the general idea is trying to be cool and needs to try harder. The people responsible for this piece of sh*t brought it to market with an absolutely massive built-in audience and just ******* blew it. When he plays Yesterday they have you right where they want you and then it's just insult after disjointed insult. Too heavy-handed with the now he's got the songs but still can't get anybody to listen part. Too transparent with the let's bring in the ginger kid in a craven bid for crossover appeal part. Too we've already got your money so who gives a sh*t with the part where they waste Kate McKinnon, which is where I walked out. I dunno what the spoiler policy is ITT but if I ruined anything for anybody, you're welcome.

Saw Hobbs & Shaw and Yesterday at a charming, hokey drive in theater last night. $7 per person. Last drive in movie I saw was Hard Day's Night … when it first came out.

We thought that Hobbs & Shaw was OK with a few good scenes and a good final act but it just wasn't as entertaining as the F&F franchise which this had nothing to do with other than lifting the two characters. The jokes were a bit stale and obvious and we didn't think that they exploited the chemistry that Johnson and Statham have. I liked adding the Kevin Hart character. Minor here but I would love to see these three together in a (better written) sequel.  All in all the movie was about 20" too long. It got some good reviews so perhaps we missed something here.

Our intent was to leave before the second movie but we were having such a great time that we stayed for it. After the reviews here. I was surprised that we both enjoyed it.  Yes, it was a silly premise, it could have been done way better, the casting was questionable, the characters were cartoony (the roadie and the manager being the worst) and it actually had Ed Sheeran in it but somehow, we liked it. It was predictable (not easy to do considering the premise) yet still managed to bring a smile when the ending came. I loved the scenes where he struggled to get people to listen and they just wouldn't focus. Been there, done that. The thing is that the guy is just a bad singer. The Beatles were more than the songs. It was the vocal qualities, harmonies and George Martin's productions. Without that you don't get the impact that this movie gave the songs.  There was a key scene towards the end that they could have done way better (important so I don't want to spoil it) but still charmed us. Put aside all these flaws and you see a "cute" movie. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it but I'm glad we stayed for the second half of the doubleheader.

The star of the night was the venue.  It is a family business that has stood there since 1950. It couldn't have looked much different back then. You could just see kids in flivvers watching Beach Blanket Bingo on a Saturday night. It came complete with a really cheesy home made commercial for the concession stand and had the requisite bugs and mosquitoes about. A true trip back in time. We took a picnic, wine and our tailgates chairs. Can't wait to go back!   

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Saw Hobbs & Shaw and Yesterday at a charming, hokey drive in theater last night. $7 per person. Last drive in movie I saw was Hard Day's Night … when it first came out.

We thought that Hobbs & Shaw was OK with a few good scenes and a good final act but it just wasn't as entertaining as the F&F franchise which this had nothing to do with other than lifting the two characters. The jokes were a bit stale and obvious and we didn't think that they exploited the chemistry that Johnson and Statham have. I liked adding the Kevin Hart character. Minor here but I would love to see these three together in a (better written) sequel.  All in all the movie was about 20" too long. It got some good reviews so perhaps we missed something here.

Our intent was to leave before the second movie but we were having such a great time that we stayed for it. After the reviews here. I was surprised that we both enjoyed it.  Yes, it was a silly premise, it could have been done way better, the casting was questionable, the characters were cartoony (the roadie and the manager being the worst) and it actually had Ed Sheeran in it but somehow, we liked it. It was predictable (not easy to do considering the premise) yet still managed to bring a smile when the ending came. I loved the scenes where he struggled to get people to listen and they just wouldn't focus. Been there, done that. The thing is that the guy is just a bad singer. The Beatles were more than the songs. It was the vocal qualities, harmonies and George Martin's productions. Without that you don't get the impact that this movie gave the songs.  There was a key scene towards the end that they could have done way better (important so I don't want to spoil it) but still charmed us. Put aside all these flaws and you see a "cute" movie. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it but I'm glad we stayed for the second half of the doubleheader.

The star of the night was the venue.  It is a family business that has stood there since 1950. It couldn't have looked much different back then. You could just see kids in flivvers watching Beach Blanket Bingo on a Saturday night. It came complete with a really cheesy home made commercial for the concession stand and had the requisite bugs and mosquitoes about. A true trip back in time. We took a picnic, wine and our tailgates chairs. Can't wait to go back!   

Where was the drive-in?

Btw, have never seen a FF movie but I’d like to start. 

Is there an order they should be watched in? And isn’t there one (or two) that can be skipped as they don’t really relate to the franchise?

18 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Where was the drive-in?

Btw, have never seen a FF movie but I’d like to start. 

Is there an order they should be watched in? And isn’t there one (or two) that can be skipped as they don’t really relate to the franchise?

Drive in is Hyde Park (just north of Poughkeepsie) right on Albany Post Rd (Rte 9) directly across from FDR's home. Lots of interesting things to do up there (Culinary Institute, FDR Library, home and grounds, Vanderbilt Mansion, some nice sports car/convertible roads off the Salt Point Turnpike, Rhinebeck, etc) About an hour north of us via the Mother Road (Taconic) 

I'd watch all the F&F movies in order. Tokyo Drift (#3?) doesn't feature Paul Walker or Vin Diesel but some of the characters reoccur so I would leave it in order in the rotation. Some are better than others but none are Geno Smith level bad. Helps if you like the cars.  It would be a nice diversion project

On 8/4/2019 at 10:14 AM, Fantasy Island said:

Took the family to see Once upon a time in Hollywood, it was great.  Brad Pitt should get an Oscar nod.

I liked it but didn't love it. Like a lot of recent Tarantino, it never really goes anywhere, although there were individual scenes I really liked. Agreed on Pitt though. He was phenomenal.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Drive in is Hyde Park (just north of Poughkeepsie) right on Albany Post Rd (Rte 9) directly across from FDR's home. Lots of interesting things to do up there (Culinary Institute, FDR Library, home and grounds, Vanderbilt Mansion, some nice sports car/convertible roads off the Salt Point Turnpike, Rhinebeck, etc) About an hour north of us via the Mother Road (Taconic) 

I'd watch all the F&F movies in order. Tokyo Drift (#3?) doesn't feature Paul Walker or Vin Diesel but some of the characters reoccur so I would leave it in order in the rotation. Some are better than others but none are Geno Smith level bad. Helps if you like the cars.  It would be a nice diversion project

Love Rhinebeck. Me and the GF stayed there for a long weekend, had a great time. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2019 at 12:29 PM, The Crimson King said:

Saw it last week.  Had only ever seen the original Fast and Furious, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I was entertained -- not much more to say about the movie. Outrageous stunts, did not take itself too seriously.  Just have to take it for what it is.  A couple of hours of mindless entertainment that is thoroughly forgettable once its over.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Saw it last week.  Had only ever seen the original Fast and Furious, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I was entertained -- not much more to say about the movie. Outrageous stunts, did not take itself too seriously.  Just have to take it for what it is.  A couple of hours of mindless entertainment that is thoroughly forgettable once its over.

Don't we all do this about 16 or so  times most autumns ? :)

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Watched Red Sparrow. 

Pretty bad. Actually started good then devolved into an overly complicated double triple agent spy “thriller” that wasn’t really thrilling (other than Jennifer Lawrence showing off her body which was thrilling). 

Great book.  Awful movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Still a lot to see this fall, but here's my top 25 movies I've seen this year.

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  2. Wild Rose
  3. Midsommar
  4. The Nightingale
  5. The Dead Don't Die
  6. Her Smell
  7. Booksmart
  8. High Flying Bird
  9. Under the Silver Lake
  10. Us
  11. Guava Island
  12. Climax
  13. Teen Spirit
  14. Apollo 11
  15. The Farewell
  16. The Souvenir
  17. Triple Frontier
  18. Long Shot
  19. Toy Story 4
  20. Glass
  21. Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile
  22. Brexit: The Uncivil War
  23. Knock Down The House
  24. Share
  25. The Amazing Jonathan Documentary
  • Upvote 2

On 8/9/2019 at 12:51 PM, dbatesman said:

I liked it but didn't love it. Like a lot of recent Tarantino, it never really goes anywhere, although there were individual scenes I really liked. Agreed on Pitt though. He was phenomenal.

Agreed. here.  Love the individual performances but it did seem to be building toward nothing time but they did a good job of not giving you what you expected.

I liked it, didnt love it but I could watch Pitt and Leo all day.  So hawt. 

On 8/9/2019 at 6:02 AM, The Crimson King said:

I've been to that drive-in.  Do they still have their annual, "Last Night Ever" in the fall, where they claim they won't reopen in spring?  My cousin played RB for the Roosevelt Presidents back in the 80's.  

Popcorn, peanuts, candy too!  All this, and more we have for you!

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

plz to elaborate

lmao that was definitely supposed to say "unlike a lot of recent Tarantino." Django and Hateful Eight are both about as contained and straightforward as it comes, at least as far as he goes. Hollywood felt more like Jackie Brown in a shaggy-dog kinda way.

On 8/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, The Crimson King said:

Did you get a hand job? I did at my first drive in?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I have a 5 year old granddaughter. Took her to Lion King. 

I friggin hate the movies. 40 minutes of commercials, previews, etc. 

I go about once a year.  We got there 15 minutes early so the poor kid watched 45 minutes of pure BS commercials before the movie. 

halfway through she is like...  Pop Pop, when is the movie over. 

BUT...what a great afternoon. Spending time with her alone, lunch, candy, movies. Good stuff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I have a 5 year old granddaughter. Took her to Lion King. 

I friggin hate the movies. 40 minutes of commercials, previews, etc. 

I go about once a year.  We got there 15 minutes early so the poor kid watched 45 minutes of pure BS commercials before the movie. 

halfway through she is like...  Pop Pop, when is the movie over. 

BUT...what a great afternoon. Spending time with her alone, lunch, candy, movies. Good stuff.