Movies We've Seen Thread

On 9/8/2019 at 1:36 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

It 2 is good not great. Way too long. Still feels in the spirit of the first one, and Bill Hader steals the show. 

It 2 was terrible.  The 1990 mini series is better, but a lot.

Bill Hader was the one person who showed up for the movie.  He was far and away the best thing in that movie.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:56 PM, Beerfish said:

The trailers for the Joker look good but I can't get it out of my head that the Joker is actually Tom Shane.

Thanks Idzik!

I’d be like the Joker if the Joker stopped what he was doing every thirty seconds and said “is what I’m doing conventionally ethical???”

• Upvote 1

Ad Astra is very well done. Thought the story was a little on the blander side. I wouldn’t necessarily put it up with 2001 or Interstellar, but it definitely belongs in that second tier with the likes of Silent Running, Sunshine, Gravity...etc. Much of the third act takes place in the orbit of Neptune and it was cool to finally see a movie explore a story THAT far out. 

For the most part I think the writers couldn’t decide if they wanted to write a character study or a grandiose space adventure, it tries to do both and the plot is just hard to engage with as a result. That said it’s still worth the time, for example there’s a car chase scene that takes place on the moon and it’s by far one of the coolest chase scenes ever produced.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Do you even Expanse,  bro?

#ScreamingFirehawks

Of course. Have a good friend that's one of the main characters on that show. But at the end of the day I'm watching that on a TV and that's always going to underwhelm the experience. It's like when people tell me they didn't enjoy Interstellar, but the first time they watched it was at home. Welp, hate to say it but you didn't see Interstellar if that's the case. Far cry between seeing that on an IMAX screen and on your TCL flatscreen.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Of course. Have a good friend that's one of the main characters on that show. But at the end of the day I'm watching that on a TV and that's always going to underwhelm the experience. It's like when people tell me they didn't enjoy Interstellar, but the first time they watched it was at home. Welp, hate to say it but you didn't see Interstellar if that's the case. Far cry between seeing that on an IMAX screen and on your TCL flatscreen.

Loved Interstellar.  And tell Wes hes an excellent actor.  Hell, that whole cast is awesome.  Will be seeing AA on IMAX soon. 

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That hoyt von hoyt dude is a legit genius. The fact that the same guy filmed that flick and something like Let the Right One In is basically the cinematographic equivalent of Bo Jackson.

14 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That hoyt von hoyt dude is a legit genius. The fact that the same guy filmed that flick and something like Let the Right One In is basically the cinematographic equivalent of Bo Jackson.

Let The Right One In one of the best books I’ve read in years. 

Both movies admirable. 

I liked It 2

the second part is about the friendships and as an audience we already know that pennywise is a front for the deadlights so it never was going to be as scary as the first one

some of the casting of the adult characters was brilliant, Richie Ben and Eddie and Henry bowers in particular was so perfect it almost seemed fake lol

Then you had McAvoy totally miscast and chastain seemed like the default redhead casting. 

Its super tough ending to pull off on screen as opposed to a book 

overall it passed my 2 tests, I didn’t realize how uncomfortable the seats were during the movie and I never wondered what time it was. 

Side note I went to the movie at 3:00 last Sunday and it was empty. No cow chewers or cell phone idiots to ruin things. 

Might be a new thing to do on Sundays lol

On 8/5/2019 at 10:07 AM, The Crusher said:

No doubt on Yesterday. Could have been an amazing  moving and instead they mailed it in with one cliche after another. Music was great, wife and daughter liked it but damn could have been so much more. 

It was good for a RomCom but I feel like the concept was ruined by making it a RomCom.  It was such a great idea but I feel like the ruined the execution.  I would have loved to see a version where people were not accepting of the music.  That would have been really cool way to portray the concept.  That or he gets found out or his life turns upside down or he tries to become the Beatles and starts using hallucinogenic drugs.  Anything other than how it ended. lol

The new Rambo movie was awesome.

Seems like everyone is trashing it because Stallone is brutally murdering brown people and it’s not “thought provoking”. 

Aside from First Blood, when the hell have the Rambo movies ever had some kind of message?

It’s f*cking brutal and feels like a Punisher MAX story come to life. I might even catch it a second time in the theater.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2019 at 7:58 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I didn't even realize he did Ad Astra too. That makes a lot of sense. There were several scenes that had a similar feel to Interstellar, but it didn't seem like it was even super-intentional.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:47 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Ad Astra is very well done. Thought the story was a little on the blander side. I wouldn’t necessarily put it up with 2001 or Interstellar, but it definitely belongs in that second tier with the likes of Silent Running, Sunshine, Gravity...etc. Much of the third act takes place in the orbit of Neptune and it was cool to finally see a movie explore a story THAT far out. 

For the most part I think the writers couldn’t decide if they wanted to write a character study or a grandiose space adventure, it tries to do both and the plot is just hard to engage with as a result. That said it’s still worth the time, for example there’s a car chase scene that takes place on the moon and it’s by far one of the coolest chase scenes ever produced.

Just saw it yesterday.  Agree completely that it was lost between being a character study and a space adventure.  Made for untinteresting characters and not enough action to work as an adventure story.  It was beautifully filmed, but the visuals were not enough to keep me interested for two hours with a slow, uninteresting story.  

• Upvote 1

Watched 2 movies yesterday instead of sh*tty NFL Football:

Last Black Man in San Francisco - wow.  Great movie.  Cant say I've ever seen anything like it.  It's just a really well done story about the city and the changes it's been through.  Beautiful movie.

13 Hours - it was recommended by a coworker.  Your typical cliche against all odds outnumbered in a foreign country action/war flick but I liked it.  Definitely some intense parts. 

On 9/29/2019 at 9:40 PM, Lith said:

Just saw it yesterday.  Agree completely that it was lost between being a character study and a space adventure.  Made for untinteresting characters and not enough action to work as an adventure story.  It was beautifully filmed, but the visuals were not enough to keep me interested for two hours with a slow, uninteresting story.  I found the story slow and uninteresting.

What a waste. Saw it in IMAX over the weekend. Still fell asleep. Boring movie. The 20 or so other people in the theatre also seemed annoyed by the monotone, boring movie and it's pointlessness. 

• Upvote 1

OK, spoiler-free Joker review. It exceeded my expectations in regards to the chances they’d take in it, and it’s probably the most troubling movie you’ll see this year. My initial reaction upon leaving the theater was that I can’t believe a major studio would make this film. It was very, very good and very dark. It wasn’t particularly exciting or story driven; more so it followed an extremely mentally ill character through a really rough patch in his life. It’s unsettling because it feels very organic, as though the issues that push Phoenix over the edge are real things in the current climate, even though the movie is (effectively) set in 1980 NYC. I concur with @CotcheryifyouCan: it’s similar in tone and affect to Taxi Driver, but there are definitely nods to Watchmen (the graphic novel) and to Ledger’s portrayal of The Joker. I don’t want to say more until more people see it but, damn. Go see it. 

Joker is incredible and legit the most twisted major studio movie I can think of. I am not sure how it’s going to age over the years as the initial shock value of seeing it on a big screen wears off, but just wow.

Hands down one of the best Batman movies for sure. Which is bizarre because it follows no book ever written and doesn’t have Batman in it.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:08 PM, T0mShane said:

OK, spoiler-free Joker review. It exceeded my expectations in regards to the chances they’d take in it, and it’s probably the most troubling movie you’ll see this year. My initial reaction upon leaving the theater was that I can’t believe a major studio would make this film. It was very, very good and very dark. It wasn’t particularly exciting or story driven; more so it followed an extremely mentally ill character through a really rough patch in his life. It’s unsettling because it feels very organic, as though the issues that push Phoenix over the edge are real things in the current climate, even though the movie is (effectively) set in 1980 NYC. I concur with @CotcheryifyouCan: it’s similar in tone and affect to Taxi Driver, but there are definitely nods to Watchmen (the graphic novel) and to Ledger’s portrayal of The Joker. I don’t want to say more until more people see it but, damn. Go see it. 

I like that people are drawing it to classics, but that climax was a truly original scene. Phillips deserves a lot of credit. What a ******* scene.

• Upvote 1

Sooooo Joker smashed box office records. Rated R flicks ftw. There is no way they don't make a sequel to this.

I'm hoping they keep the universes separate. DC already went astray trying to copy Marvel. Maybe down the line incorporate Fleck into Matt Reeves' Batman but for now just let Phoenix and Phillips do their thing.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:08 PM, T0mShane said:

See, I saw it, I didn't like it that much.

It's set in the DC universe, but other than being in Gotham City, with mentions of the Wayne family, it really has nothing else to do with it.  It just feels like 1980 NY.   Phoenix is very, very good, and I agree, it's about a mentally ill person going further down hill.

I guess, for me, the problem is, he didn't really seem that much like the Joker.  The Joker, totally insane, but also intelligent, ruthless.  This one, not as much, although it is an origin story.  There were definite nods to other movies, King of Comedy, (starring younger DeNiro).  There was a scene very similar to one in Dark Knight Returns.