Movies We've Seen Thread

If you want to see a spy movie also written by a former British agent, but significantly more realistic, check out the recent Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. John le Carré is the master.

Warning: if you have even a shred of ADHD, putting this movie on your television will result in you hanging yourself from the ceiling fan.

Also, I liked Prometheus, but it felt like they really missed a chance to make a truly great sci-fi flick.

Any hint at an explanation as to why the creators wanted to kill the human race would have been nice... the one that was awoken just ran around and rampaged.. was hoping for a little more clarification.

Any hint at an explanation as to why the creators wanted to kill the human race would have been nice... the one that was awoken just ran around and rampaged.. was hoping for a little more clarification.

Gato linked to a really good discussion of theology relating to Prometheus. I'd find it for you, but I'm all screw Pac.

Gato linked to a really good discussion of theology relating to Prometheus. I'd find it for you, but I'm all screw Pac.

your post made me google it and while the articles I read were speculation, they make sense to me.

thank you for giving me the closure I've been yearning for.

• Upvote 1

Just caught The Adjustment Bureau, I can't think of too many movies that started off that well and then just completely dissolved into unintentional comedy. The one part where Damon knocked the guy out in the bathroom and then yelled "DON'T WORRY ABOUT HIM. HE'S WITH THEM! FORGET ABOUT HIM!!" had me dying.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Just caught The Adjustment Bureau, I can't think of too many movies that started off that well and then just completely dissolved into unintentional comedy. The one part where Damon knocked the guy out in the bathroom and then yelled "DON'T WORRY ABOUT HIM. HE'S WITH THEM! FORGET ABOUT HIM!!" had me dying.

yup, lol. she handles the center field of yankee stadium scene with aplomb as well. I think I would have crapped my pants and passed out.

yup, lol. she handles the center field of yankee stadium scene with aplomb as well. I think I would have crapped my pants and passed out.

It's kind of crazy too, because the first 20 minutes or so started off so well, next thing you know General Zod is wearing one of those ridiculous hats and whispering creepily into Damon's ear.

Finally got around to seeing Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy and it was definitely well worth the wait. Gary Oldman is one of my all time favorite actors, I put him up there with the DDL's of today, that's how highly I think of him and I can say that this is his best role to date. The movie itself is fantastic, awesome cast, but Oldman just steals every scene he's in. The man is a better actor in five minutes of silence than 99% of the guys working today, he's just incredible.

If you don't like slow-moving, methodically scripted movies, then it's definitely not for you. However, if you like cold-war era espionage movies, with rich characters and plot you have to follow every single minute, then you'll love it immediately. Definitely recommend.

Finally got around to seeing Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy and it was definitely well worth the wait. Gary Oldman is one of my all time favorite actors, I put him up there with the DDL's of today, that's how highly I think of him and I can say that this is his best role to date. The movie itself is fantastic, awesome cast, but Oldman just steals every scene he's in. The man is a better actor in five minutes of silence than 99% of the guys working today, he's just incredible.

If you don't like slow-moving, methodically scripted movies, then it's definitely not for you. However, if you like cold-war era espionage movies, with rich characters and plot you have to follow every single minute, then you'll love it immediately. Definitely recommend.

Oldman is one of my all time favorite actors. I'll check this move out.

Oldman is one of my all time favorite actors. I'll check this move out.

It definitely is slow moving and calculated, but if you don't mind that as long as the plot is good, you'll love it. Let me know what ya think when you check it out.

As a sidenote; that man is just incredible when you look at the different roles he takes and just f*ckin owns. Look at his character in tinker tailor then go over to Zorg in 5th element, dude is awesome lol.

Man With The Iron Fists is a pretty awesome terrible flick. Distant 2nd to Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter for best campy movie of the year, but worth the watch. Pretty great to see the respect RZA gets from all the actors whose movies he's sampled over the years. Crowe's performance is nothing short of ridiculawesome.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

• 1 month later...

Also saw Killing Them Softly. It was kinda like Drive. Stylistic metaphor masquerading as an action flick.

I dunno, I haven't seen the Pitt flick yet but from what I've heard there's supposed to be some underlying political message. Drive was simply a De Palma tribute. Awesome though. I always thought of Gosling as kind of a Streisand but he rocked the sh*t in that one.

I dunno, I haven't seen the Pitt flick yet but from what I've heard there's supposed to be some underlying political message. Drive was simply a De Palma tribute. Awesome though. I always thought of Gosling as kind of a Streisand but he rocked the sh*t in that one.

Gosling was very good in that, though I had to see it twice to appreciate it. I went in expecting a mindless cars-and-guns thing, then was stunned to be watching a thought exercise.

Killing Them Softly is similar. Everything is very Seventies (the cars, hairstyles, smoking in bars), but the backdrop is the 08 election.

I liked this movie a lot.

The guy who plays Al Capone in "Boardwalk", Stephen Graham, has a small but important part. I had no idea he was a Brit. In "TTSS" he sports a 1970s red fro. In fact he's part Jamaican. If you look at either character in these roles hard to believe it's the same guy.