Jump to content
T0mShane

Movies We've Seen Thread

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When I first saw John Wick, I didn’t like it too much and called it “unnecessary,” because it came out around the same time as a bunch of other revenge flicks, and I couldn’t reconcile that Wick was supposed to be this unmatched assassin but also got his ass mostly kicked in literally every confrontation he had in the film. But now, after seeing the ensuing sequels and reading a really good piece suggesting that the series, taken together, is a meditation on grief and loss (specifically Reeves’), I find myself always watching any of the films whenever I see them on anywhere. Pure brain candy

He gets his ass-kicked in every scene because HE'S FIGHTING 20 DUDES AT A TIME.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 10:34 PM, T0mShane said:

Alright so I’ve watched 45 minutes of The Irishman and it feels like a dinner theater production of Goodfellas II. 

This...I felt like this movie was better thirty years ago when it was called Goodfellas.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"86. Beasts of No Nation (2015)" Even with a big star in Idris Elba, subject matter , even with a hopeful ending, is too depressing for a wide audience. But as compelling a movie as you will see. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He gets his ass-kicked in every scene because HE'S FIGHTING 20 DUDES AT A TIME.

I fight 20 dudes at a clip on this website every day and I don't get a scratch on me.

  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tale - whoa.  My wife picked it out when I was in the other room the other night, had no idea what this movie was about and holy sh*t.  It was great.  Hard to watch at times because it's such a sensitive topic but they executed it brilliantly.  Laura Dern killed it.  She was incredible.  Hard hitting movie.  Couldnt believe that some of the scenes made it through production.  I highly recommend it, if you can stomach it.  

The Art of Self Defense - I loved this dark comedy.  Jesse Eisenberg was great.  It was out there but I just thought it was hilarious.  Kind of twisted and demented and sick but done so light heartedly you cant believe you're laughing at things you're laughing at.  Really enjoyed it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

started the irshman the other night under the influence. didnt make it through.  thought it was decent but the de aging thing kinda messed with me. going to watch again from the begining with a clear mind in the next few days.  also rewatched cedar rapids. that movie is pretty underrated imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I fight 20 dudes at a clip on this website every day and I don't get a scratch on me.

Scratching is an unlikely outcome in limp-wristed slap fighting.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

started the irshman the other night under the influence. didnt make it through.  thought it was decent but the de aging thing kinda messed with me. going to watch again from the begining with a clear mind in the next few days.  also rewatched cedar rapids. that movie is pretty underrated imo.

100% it affected me at first, but my eyes adjusted. After about an hour I forgot about it. Pacino's Hoffa honestly freaked me out way more. I get the novelty of bringing Pacino in but if he was going to shamelessly go Frank Slade with the whole thing they would have been better off de-aging Jack Nicholson.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 5:09 PM, slowmoe57 said:

"The Irishman" Long,slow and quite boring. But since I love Mob movies I enjoyed it.

 Once a Time in America, Untouchables, GF 1&2, Good Fellas,  Casino, Bronx Tale, all great movies.  I thought Irishman told this part of history nicely and brought it all together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Irishman sucked. Its well past time to stop pretending Scorsessee still makes anything noteworthy or exceptional at this stage of his career.

Parasite is the best movie ive seen in quite a long time. Wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue Monday gives me hope that WW84 will at least have a cool soundtrack 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Larz said:

Blue Monday gives me hope that WW84 will at least have a cool soundtrack 

New Order. Yessss. They completely altered my taste in music. Probably why I still listen to new EDM/Trance/Deep House/Techno at 48 instead of reminiscing about The Eagles or other boring old guy sh*t. 

 

Oh, and the movie looks awful. Good awful, but awful.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, Ruby2 said:

The Irishman sucked. Its well past time to stop pretending Scorsessee still makes anything noteworthy or exceptional at this stage of his career.

Parasite is the best movie ive seen in quite a long time. Wow.

ehh it was decent not great, wolf of wall street still holds up. (checks date) wow that was 6 years ago but that was a great scorsesse movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

ehh it was decent not great, wolf of wall street still holds up. (checks date) wow that was 6 years ago but that was a great scorsesse movie.

WOWS was totally gratuitous. It was as ridiculous as the comic book movies Martin correctly hates.

But obviously to each his own, I know a lot of folks enjoyed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Currently watching 'A Christmas Story' on tv once again.

One of my fav movies a virtual masterpiece.

I still remember seeing that in the theater with my dad.   Freaking Greatness.

The Pink Bunny makes me laugh every single year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I still remember seeing that in the theater with my dad.   Freaking Greatness.

The Pink Bunny makes me laugh every single year.

The thing about that movie is, that it is my Christmas's when I grew up.  I can relate to almost every single thing in that movie.  The portrayal of the father is the spitting image of my dad right down to his obsession and battles with the furnace.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 3:51 PM, Ruby2 said:

WOWS was totally gratuitous. It was as ridiculous as the comic book movies Martin correctly hates.

But obviously to each his own, I know a lot of folks enjoyed it.

Agree with the scorsese bit. I didn’t even finish wows. Couldn’t get through it. Probably why I’ve procrastinated watching the Irishman even though I love DeNiro and was initially so excited about it. I have this whole weekend to try, but even last night my wife opted for Life Itself and I didn’t push back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got around to seeing The Irishman.  I have to say I thought was pretty boring.  I think it's over for that group (Scorcese/DeNiro/Pesci/Pacino).  No surprise considering their ages but I still thought I'd like it somewhat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, Ruby2 said:

The Irishman sucked. Its well past time to stop pretending Scorsessee still makes anything noteworthy or exceptional at this stage of his career.

Parasite is the best movie ive seen in quite a long time. Wow.

I'm with you on the Irishman.  I was happy when it was over so I didn't have to watch it any longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 12:01 AM, 14 in Green said:

I watched “Brothers” the other night.

Really enjoyed it. Great story.Natalie Portman is gorgeous.

 

Didn't see the movie but Natalie Portman is certainly gorgeous.  That's for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I just saw Rise of Skywalker, ask me anything

What did you think? I will not be paying to see it. Is it as bad as I've heard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What did you think? I will not be paying to see it. Is it as bad as I've heard?

Depends on your perspective on The Last Jedi. If you loved Last Jedi this movie is gonna piss you off. If you saw the Last Jedi as an affront to Star Wars fandom then this movie makes up for it.

Personally, I loved Rise of Skywalker. It’s a fun movie that actually answers questions while telling the inevitable ending to a blockbuster franchise.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Depends on your perspective on The Last Jedi. If you loved Last Jedi this movie is gonna piss you off. If you hated the saw the Last Jedi as an affront to Star Wars fandom then this movie makes up for it.

Personally, I loved Rise of Skywalker. It’s a fun movie that actually answers questions while telling the inevitable ending to a blockbuster franchise.

It is....to late for me....

 

LOL. I didn't like Force Awakens. I know, just movies and all, but destroying the New Republic for no reason undermined the first 3 movies. Not having the main 3 together before killing off Han was a crime. The First Order/Resistance plot made zero sense. Leia walking past Chewbacca to hug random girl showed that JJ was full of sh*t about being a SW fan. Poe Dameron was the greatestest pilot ev-ar! And we'll prove it in a stupid shot where he shoots down 18 Fighters,  but sounds like a 13 year old doofus (Dont let these thugs push you around! Ew)...lol. He ain't no Wedge....

Making Han and Leia a divorced Celebrity couple. Garbage.

It goes beyond the utter insult that TLJ was, and I went be giving Disney any money this time. I'm just sad that the brand and Luke Skywalker go out like this. And they never got Han, Luke and Leia back together, because they had to prop up the new, boring, uninteresting characters. 

 

Speaking of which, why make Finn the comic relief Janitor? Former Stormtrooper, he should have been a stoic badass. Like Mando. What a miss.

 

And bringing Palpy back totally undermines and destroys the Legacy of Luke and the redemption of Vader. Stupid. 

 

Anyway, thanks for the info. Sitting it out and hoping it loses money like Solo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It is....to late for me....

 

LOL. I didn't like Force Awakens. I know, just movies and all, but destroying the New Republic for no reason undermined the first 3 movies. Not having the main 3 together before killing off Han was a crime. The First Order/Resistance plot made zero sense. Leia walking past Chewbacca to hug random girl showed that JJ was full of sh*t about being a SW fan. Poe Dameron was the greatestest pilot ev-ar! And we'll prove it in a stupid shot where he shoots down 18 Fighters,  but sounds like a 13 year old doofus (Dont let these thugs push you around! Ew)...lol. He ain't no Wedge....

Making Han and Leia a divorced Celebrity couple. Garbage.

It goes beyond the utter insult that TLJ was, and I went be giving Disney any money this time. I'm just sad that the brand and Luke Skywalker go out like this. And they never got Han, Luke and Leia back together, because they had to prop up the new, boring, uninteresting characters. 

 

Speaking of which, why make Finn the comic relief Janitor? Former Stormtrooper, he should have been a stoic badass. Like Mando. What a miss.

 

And bringing Palpy back totally undermines and destroys the Legacy of Luke and the redemption of Vader. Stupid. 

 

Anyway, thanks for the info. Sitting it out and hoping it loses money like Solo. 

You’d like it. The movie manages to make 70% of its fan service make sense. Rei and Kylo make the movie and Poe is essentially recast into what he should’ve been in TLJ.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 10:46 PM, kdels62 said:

Depends on your perspective on The Last Jedi. If you loved Last Jedi this movie is gonna piss you off. If you saw the Last Jedi as an affront to Star Wars fandom then this movie makes up for it.

Personally, I loved Rise of Skywalker. It’s a fun movie that actually answers questions while telling the inevitable ending to a blockbuster franchise.

Dunno about that. Meh for me, not as bad as I feared, but still. meh. 

And it negated the entire "Anakin is the Chosen One" thing from the prequels.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...