Movies We've Seen Thread

1 hour ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Dunno about that. Meh for me, not as bad as I feared, but still. meh. 

And it negated the entire "Anakin is the Chosen One" thing from the prequels.

The existence of this trilogy negated it. I dig the idea that the Jedi were just wrong a lot and they needed to be a part of the world rather than apart from it. 

I just wish it had ended along the lines of the old woman replying with "Skywalker, eh? Related to that Luke fella, are ya? Boy, that young 'un was a right wee menace. Mind you since he upped and left, the womp rat problem round gotten way out of control. I mean only last year, one of them pesky little varmints chewed a hole in my grandson's price nerf hide jacket., And as for them jawas, weelll... (fades)

And Wedge still rules.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

I just wish it had ended along the lines of the old woman replying with "Skywalker, eh? Related to that Luke fella, are ya? Boy, that young 'un was a right wee menace. Mind you since he upped and left, the womp rat problem round gotten way out of control. I mean only last year, one of them pesky little varmints chewed a hole in my grandson's price nerf hide jacket., And as for them jawas, weelll... (fades)

And Wedge still rules.

Cut the chatter, Red 3

5 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Did I miss something? Is there some sort of new clan on Tattooine where people talk in a mix of Scottish and Appalachian accents?

21 hours ago, JiF said:

Reluctantly, I'm going to see Rise of Skywalker tonight with the in-laws and while I'm excited to see what happens, I'm also terrified.

It was entertaining but man did they just throw sh*t at the wall from a story arch perspective.  Like none of it makes any sense but it was cool watching it on IMAX.

• Upvote 1

So my initial plan for the last SW movie was to see if the reviews were positive and if some of my friends approved, that I would go see it. 

I think they are hovering around 60% positive. 

The consensus seemed to be “ gorgeous looking movie with a messy plot and no heart “

Based on that I watched a 10 minute spoiler loaded review last night.  Glad I didn’t prebuy tickets lol. 

Anyone with a brain would have had Luke and Han make it to this movie. 

If you want to have one of them die a heroes death at the end, fine. 

What they did was like having Iron Man die in Civil  war and Captain  America die in infinity wars. So dumb. 

As someone born in 1967 I saw Star Wars in the theater at age 10, Empire 6 times at age 13 and Return of the Jedi at 16. 

This movie should have been a once in a lifetime event where all my old friends got together and saw it together as a huge cringy mob of middle age nostalgia. 

Feels like the biggest whiff in pop culture history. 

• Post of the Week 1

"Rise of Skywalker" was solid.  Saw it today, left happy.  

Best recovery from the mistake of "Last Jedi" I could have hoped for.  It's rushed, and crams 2 films of frantic story in one film, but given where things stood, it's as good as I could have hoped for.

I'd ignore all the noise, personally.  

Critics are mad because they mostly dumped the progressive SJW Last Jedi stuff.

Fans are mad because.....well, because fans nowadays are always mad, they hate Ray at this point, will harp on the few vstiges of progressive stuff left, and they can't get past Last Jedi.

To each their own, but my initial feeling is 1 and 3 of this trilogy, while derivative and typical Abrams, was fun enough, with a fun enough new group of characters, and no sillier of plots than any other Star Wars.  Would have been good to see what JJ would have done had he done all three himself. 

Also, try to remember......no one is making you go see it.  If you think you'll hate it, and hated the other two.....maybe just skip it?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/21/2019 at 3:18 PM, Larz said:

Feels like the biggest whiff in pop culture history.

I don’t disagree, but at the same time it’s really just not how business works. What is nostalgic to Gen-X is meaningless to younger generations. 

The original trilogy, and how special it was, is only happening once. Nothing is ever going to recapture all of that magic and imagination. “I am your father” is the best twist in movie history. All of this is basically a curse for any new movies That get made as part of the arc. We Knee that after Jar-jar. The 3 new ones are just action movies. The folks that are 10 years old now aren’t going to be 45 years old and holding onto these films like a piece of their youth. They are fun, but entirely forgettable. 

I’ve found that keeping that context in mind helps with my enjoyment of these. Honestly though, they lost me at killing Han, then having Leia mourns with Rey while Chewie stood around at the end of TFA. That’s when it was blatant the creators were in over there heads in terms of the heart of the story.

Its best to cap the Skywalker arc, keep the aesthetic and push oin into new stories. Stop mangling the core story that so many hold dear. Give young fans their own original trilogy to love. Stop trying to squeeze more out of the original. This is why Rogue One was so good. Mandalorian too.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I don’t disagree, but at the same time it’s really just not how business works. What is nostalgic to Gen-X is meaningless to younger generations. 

The original trilogy, and how special it was, is only happening once. Nothing is ever going to recapture all of that magic and imagination. “I am your father” is the best twist in movie history. All of this is basically a curse for any new movies That get made as part of the arc. We Knee that after Jar-jar. The 3 new ones are just action movies. The folks that are 10 years old now aren’t going to be 45 years old and holding onto these films like a piece of their youth. They are fun, but entirely forgettable. 

I’ve found that keeping that context in mind helps with my enjoyment of these. Honestly though, they lost me at killing Han, then having Leia mourns with Rey while Chewie stood around at the end of TFA. That’s when it was blatant the creators were in over there heads in terms of the heart of the story.

Its best to cap the Skywalker arc, keep the aesthetic and push oin into new stories. Stop mangling the core story that so many hold dear. Give young fans their own original trilogy to love. Stop trying to squeeze more out of the original. This is why Rogue One was so good. Mandalorian too.

I understand the business. This was discussed leading up to 8. 

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This is my biggest gripe and sums up my feelings as well.  Create your own story, there was cool original stuff to build off in this trilogy for them to put closure to the Skywalker’s arc while creating your own path.  The constant nod to the old school fan boys was frustrating, either go all in or just get everything off script from Lucas.  It was like they were so torn with what to do they ended up ruining their original story arc and the Skywalker’s.  

They had a chance to go bold and let the force be part of anyone but instead they just sh*t on all that and suddenly the Emperor is alive, pulling all the strings and suddenly he was human enough to I assume love and reproduce and the only reason Rey had force was because she again, part of a lineage.  Never mind ignoring Anakin was the actual key to this whole arc to begin with...why not just bring Vadar back if we are bringing people back from the dead?  That way you can really close it all out.  

Anywho, fun movies.  Entertaining.  Hopefully wrapping this up leads for some good stuff in the future.  It feels like a huge miss because it was but not because they didn’t do justice for the originals but more because it was a missed opportunity to go bold and actually have it all make sense in a new bolder path but instead made it all make zero sense trying it to play both sides. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2019 at 8:02 PM, Integrity28 said:

Yes, absolutely agree on all of this.

But here's the thing people seem to either ignore or forget. All of us nostalgic Gen Xers are the ones who are now parents of 5 - 17 year olds who we raised on SW. My kids (8 and 10) both know the OT word for word, they ask me about the lore of the series and love the whole story and universe.  They also enjoyed the prequels way more than I did. They wanted to see Luke Skywalker, Han and Leia, Chewbacca...and they know every side character. 

That's a generational thing that Disney just kind of sh*t on for 2 movies. My 10 year old ******* HATES VIII because Luke was, in his words. "Like a dirty old guy who was a coward, and kinda forgot how to be a Jedi".  But by alienating the OT "fanboys" (and Girls...my wife WORKED at Star Tours when it first opened and loves the originals)  they also alienated the kids brought up with that. That's 2+ generations. But Disney (was) catering to the nostalgia crowd through 'memberberries but then systematically destroyed the OT characters to prop up their new, "woke" cast trying for millenials who care about nothing but virtue signaling, and watch the movie just to scream "OK Boomer" at everyone on Twitter, but promptly move on to the next thing, anyway. Because they're all either ADHD or in the Spectrum apparently. 

Anyway, from what I understand, this new movie is a HUGE F-YOU to Rian Johnson,  Kathleen Kennedy,  and the woke nonsense that was the prior movie. But it's too late, imo. The damage to the franchise was done, and this might as well be called "Space Adventures in Space" now. 

And the people defending the Disney stuff need to chill with the "They're just kids movies, nerds!!". Cant remember any other children's movies with people mind-choking people, physically choking people, multiple dismemberments, Dogfighting, murder, genocide, child-murder, spiritualism, half naked slave girls in metal bikinis, decapitation, or gay robots. 

LOL. Star Wars. 'Member how great that sh*t was? 

• Upvote 1

1917 is just masterful filmmaking. It’s unlike anything ever done in the war genre. Mendes focuses almost exclusively on the little horrors of war; the endless bodies, the muck, rats, and maiming. He takes a simple plot and almost completely decontextualizes the war in order to get this point across. I was so moved by the whole thing, from the way it’s shot to the ending, and Mendes and Co deserve all of the accolades they get for nailing such a massive venture. A+

• Upvote 2

On 12/20/2019 at 10:11 AM, The Crimson King said:

Went to the theater to see Jumanji yesterday and when we got out the lobby was filled with people going to Star Wars. Many were all dressed up in Star Wars costumes. Didn't expect that. 

I had the same damn thought in  1977

• Haha 1