Movies We've Seen Thread

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the movie Mank last night on Netflix. It’s about Herman J Mankiewicz the famous writer of movies, plays etc. This movie is about when he wrote Citizen Kane his relationship in real life with William Randolph Hearst and Marion Davies as shown in flashbacks and Hollywood in the 1930s etc. I watched it with my wife and daughter but both were bored pretty fast and they left early. It was a fairly long movie, And IMO repetitious. It helped to know something about the history and if you didn’t the movie confusing. It got some good reviews but I thought overrated. While I’m a fan of Gary Oldham he was a very good George Smiley I thought he overdid it as the usually drunk Mank, the dialogue often pretentious although at times when the script allowed it he showed compassion and humanity. So I was disappointed in Mank. Btw if you’re a fan of Turner Classic Movies Ben Mankiewitz is Herman’s grandson. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2021 at 3:31 PM, munchmemory said:

Caught The Trial of the Chicago 7 the other night on Netflix.  Very well acted, written and directed, especially the opening sequence/montage.   Mark Rylance with a stand out performance as William Kunstler.  Enjoyed it very much.

Keep trying to sit down and watch that one...

I've seen a few lately.

Tenant - what a mind ****.  Loved it.  Christopher Nolan is brilliant.

One Night in Miami - good watch, great story, however much is true, still really cool to kind of picture yourself as a fly on the wall for that meeting, I liked the acting, enjoyed it

Judas and the Black Messiah - a couple of brilliant performances but I thought the movie was kind of choppy and didnt do a great job of developing the plot and characters. 

Invisible Man - I cant believe people liked this movie, it was beyond stupid.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, JiF said:

Keep trying to sit down and watch that one...

I've seen a few lately.

Tenant - what a mind ****.  Loved it.  Christopher Nolan is brilliant.

One Night in Miami - good watch, great story, however much is true, still really cool to kind of picture yourself as a fly on the wall for that meeting, I liked the acting, enjoyed it

Judas and the Black Messiah - a couple of brilliant performances but I thought the movie was kind of choppy and didnt do a great job of developing the plot and characters. 

Invisible Man - I cant believe people liked this movie, it was beyond stupid.

Thanks for reminding me about Tenant.  I'm hit and miss with Nolan's work.  Definitely appreciate his unique storytelling.

Agree that One Night In Miami was a cool flick.  Didn't think it was great, but very good.  Fantastic directorial debut from Regina King.  Was a bit over the top/goofy in a couple of spots.  Leslie Odom, Jr. is becoming one of my favorite actors out there right now.  Incredible performance in Hamilton.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks for reminding me about Tenant.  I'm hit and miss with Nolan's work.  Definitely appreciate his unique storytelling.

Agree that One Night In Miami was a cool flick.  Didn't think it was great, but very good.  Fantastic directorial debut from Regina King.  Was a bit over the top/goofy in a couple of spots.  Leslie Odom, Jr. is becoming one of my favorite actors out there right now.  Incredible performance in Hamilton.

Yeah, it wasnt a like incredible movie by any means, but just more so, the overall concept and being a fly on the wall to undoubtedly one of the coolest meeting of the minds in our countries history. 

Leslie Odom is fantastic.  Just a brilliant ant actor.  

I havent seen the Comey Rule, but I have to imagine Kingsley Ben-Adir kills as Obama.  That's all I kept thinking when he was playing X. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2021 at 6:36 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Having Jared Leto say "We live in a society" for the new Snyder Cut Justice League trailer is the greatest trolling job I have ever seen. Well done. Bravo. Bravo. 

Superman has gone crazy...hes stealing all of the electricity....

Watched Nomadland last night on Hulu.   This thing is getting a massive amount of praise/critical acclaim, so was expecting something truly special.  It wasn't.   Not bad, but not great either.

Frances McDormand is brilliant in the lead role.   She makes the movie.  I am a big fan of her work and acting chops.  But overall, I found the flick one dimensional and a bit boring.  Guess I'm more of a story driven viewer.  This one was a character study which I generally find lacking.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm about halfway through Snyder's JL and holy hell. Completely different flick. There is an entire movie about Cyborg within this thing. Joss Whedon is a monster. 

You called it. Unbelievable. F*cking astounding what they done to that film. 

Improves in every single way. 

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm about halfway through Snyder's JL and holy hell. Completely different flick. There is an entire movie about Cyborg within this thing. Joss Whedon is a monster. 

I don't blame Whedon.

They brought Snyder in, Batman V Superman was meh at best.   They started filming this one, they took out Snyder and brought in Whedon, and told him to lighten it up.  

Snyder does darker stuff, Whedon had a very different style.   Replacing a director never works.   I've also heard this was actually supposed to be 2 movies, and they made Snyder/Whedon cram it into one, which doesn't work either.

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I don't blame Whedon.

They brought Snyder in, Batman V Superman was meh at best.   They started filming this one, they took out Snyder and brought in Whedon, and told him to lighten it up.  

Snyder does darker stuff, Whedon had a very different style.   Replacing a director never works.   I've also heard this was actually supposed to be 2 movies, and they made Snyder/Whedon cram it into one, which doesn't work either.

It's absolutely Whedon's fault. Tons of stories have come out about how he butchered the movie on purpose and treated everyone like dirt. Real awful sh*t. A bunch of people that worked with him prior have confirmed it all, and supposedly that's why the Russos replaced him at Marvel. 

Also looking at how much of Fisher's part got cut out it's fair to say the discrimination accusations look pretty legit. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I don't blame Whedon.

Yeah.   The WIzard of Oz, Gone with the WInd and Apocalypse Now sure didn't work. 

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I don't blame Whedon.

Did you see both movies?

Saw an incredibly sh*tty movie last night.

A movie with not one, not two but THREE Oscar winners.

The Little Things.  

Just plain awful  And my daughter warned me off but I thought "Denzel, how bad could it be?"

Sucked.

And I'm done with Jared Leto's bs.  He's a self important over-acting d-bag.

On 3/19/2021 at 4:48 PM, Peace Frog said:

Saw an incredibly sh*tty movie last night.

A movie with not one, not two but THREE Oscar winners.

The Little Things.  

Just plain awful  And my daughter warned me off but I thought "Denzel, how bad could it be?"

Sucked.

And I'm done with Jared Leto's bs.  He's a self important over-acting d-bag.

lol - we watched it too, I was like, ummmm is something going to happen.  lol  What a waste.

On 3/15/2021 at 1:58 PM, munchmemory said:

Did not see the show.  But if this is any indication, I'm an idiot for missing it.  Who the hell is Dua Lipa?  Damn this chick is hot.  Great legs.

Well she certainly did a better job picking the mask for her back  up dancers than The Weekend did. 

• Upvote 1

Streamed Promising Young Woman yesterday.   Not what I was expecting from the trailer, which I think is misleading.  It's a much subtler film than it depicts.  Not a perfect flick, but very enjoyable and satisfying.  8-10.

Carey Mulligan is spot on with another great performance.  She's become one of my favorite actresses.  She mesmerizes you with her A-level talent and beauty.

Just now, munchmemory said:

Streamed Promising Young Woman yesterday.   Not what I was expecting from the trailer, which I think is misleading.  It's a much subtler film than it depicts.  Not a perfect flick, but very enjoyable and satisfying.  8-10.

Carey Mulligan is spot on with another great performance.  She's become one of my favorite actresses.  Mulligan mesmerizes you with her A-level talent and beauty.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Carey Mulligan is spot on with another great performance.  She's become one of my favorite actresses.  She mesmerizes you with her A-level talent and beauty.

She was in a miniseries Collateral. Loved it. 

Then we saw The Dig and she was great. A bit slow but a really really good storytelling. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Peace Frog said:

She was in a miniseries Collateral. Loved it. 

Then we saw The Dig and she was great. A bit slow but a really really good storytelling. 

Agree on both.  We watched The Dig last week and really enjoyed it.  You're right about the methodical storytelling.  Something about that flick was just magical.  Beautifully shot. 

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Agree on both.  We watched The Dig last week and really enjoyed it.  You're right about the methodical storytelling.  Something about that flick was just magical.  Beautifully shot. 

Yeah it was so slow but we really enjoyed it. 

Ralph Fiennes is one of my favorites from In Bruges. 

Just now, Peace Frog said:

Yeah it was so slow but we really enjoyed it. 

Ralph Fiennes is one of my favorites from In Bruges. 

Fiennes gives a fantastic, nuanced, performance in The Dig.  And I don't mind slow when the story is executed well.  The Dig kept our interest throughout.  Felt almost like a play.

Have not seen In Burges.  I respect your opinion.  Is it worth checking out?