Movies We've Seen Thread

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Watched the flick on Friday.    In my family, we're all huge fans of Rent.  Great story with incredible, emotional, music.   Did not know much about Larson or his other works, so really appreciated the story behind this movie.

Biggest surprise for us was how well Andrew Garfield can sing and perform.  He was wonderful in the role, as was Robin de Jesus as his best friend, Michael.  And how gorgeous is Alexandra Shipp?  

Kudos to your daughter for snagging the role of Maureen in that local production.  The role requires her to act well and sing a bunch of tough songs.  She must be very talented.

The basic idea behind the movie other than interesting historical context was artists no matter how impoverished should stick with their art and not compromise to be able to make a living. I thought there was overkill on that it was brought up many times throughout show. And not always true. Some great artists had day jobs where you could still make a living. 

• Upvote 1

King Richard was really good, very inspirational and I think really depicted the challenges of being an underprivileged black athlete in a sport dominated by the white rich.  So many similarities to Tiger Woods story but yet very different.  That said, I found it surprising how hard they tried to paint their father in such a good way, when anyone that knows his story knows he's a deeply flawed individual who essentially neglected all of his children except Serena and Venus.  The story only briefly touches on his first family he just up and left one day, never to return.  I wonder why but Earl Woods has been absolutely dragged through the mud for his behavior but we're calling Richard Williams, King?

Good movie but if you dont know anything about the family, you'd leave with a very distorted view of reality.

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

King Richard was really good, very inspirational and I think really depicted the challenges of being an underprivileged black athlete in a sport dominated by the white rich.  So many similarities to Tiger Woods story but yet very different.  That said, I found it surprising how hard they tried to paint their father in such a good way, when anyone that knows his story knows he's a deeply flawed individual who essentially neglected all of his children except Serena and Venus.  The story only briefly touches on his first family he just up and left one day, never to return.  I wonder why but Earl Woods has been absolutely dragged through the mud for his behavior but we're calling Richard Williams, King?

Good movie but if you dont know anything about the family, you'd leave with a very distorted view of reality.

Watched it this past weekend.  It was okay, nothing great.  Seemed more like a TV movie with exaggerated situations to hammer home various family and societal points.  

Agree that the story portrays Williams in a more positive light than the much darker reality. Also wish Will Smith had decided to fully commit to using Williams' speech impediment or not.  Weird that it kept going in and out.

6-7/10

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Watched it this past weekend.  It was okay, nothing great.  Seemed more like a TV movie with exaggerated situations to hammer home various family and societal points.  

Agree that the story portrays Williams in a more positive light than the much darker reality. Also wish Will Smith had decided to fully commit to using Williams' speech impediment or not.  Weird that it kept going in and out.

6-7/10

Nothing earth shattering but a feel-good movie for sure.  My wife, black, a collegiate athlete faced some similar challenges.  She was accepted into West Point, 1 of 5 black woman in the entire school.  She had a very different college experience than her white peers, she wanted to get into rowing and lets just say she wasnt welcomed with open arms as she was encouraged to stick with track, so this was neat movie to watch together. 

After the movie, I was like, babe, I had a vision, we need to raise 2 boys, they will be point guards, one will be the #1 overall pick, the other will be the greatest of all time, so lets get to work! ...NOW!!!  lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Nothing earth shattering but a feel-good movie for sure.  My wife, black, a collegiate athlete faced some similar challenges.  She was accepted into West Point, 1 of 5 black woman in the entire school.  She had a very different college experience than her white peers, she wanted to get into rowing and lets just say she wasnt welcomed with open arms as she was encouraged to stick with track, so this was neat movie to watch together. 

After the movie, I was like, babe, I had a vision, we need to raise 2 boys, they will be point guards, one will be the #1 overall pick, the other will be the greatest of all time, so lets get to work! ...NOW!!!  lol

Kudos to your wife.  She sounds like a badass.  No doubt she would have a different perspective on the movie than some old white guy like me.

I did not hate the flick at all.   Of course the message is powerful:  Promote education and family over blind devotion to athletics at any cost. For whatever reason (most likely the director and Will Smith's performance), the movie seemed a bit trite.  

• Upvote 1

I just watched Power of the Dog on Netflix and it feels like a stage play with great actors going way over the top and a really tense third act that was unsettling. It won’t be for everyone—it’s slow and intentionally uncomfortable—but if you stick with it, there is a “wow” payoff. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/1/2021 at 10:56 PM, T0mShane said:

I just watched Power of the Dog on Netflix and it feels like a stage play with great actors going way over the top and a really tense third act that was unsettling. It won’t be for everyone—it’s slow and intentionally uncomfortable—but if you stick with it, there is a “wow” payoff. 

Watched the movie last night.  As you point out, it is maddeningly slow to develop.  Although beautifully filmed (kudos to the DP), I was left with a ton of questions about the various characters.  

I'm sure the novel was better than Jane Campion's script/film.  I saw one of the two "surprises" coming a mile away (did you note the hearts on the saddle), but not how one character meets his fate.

6/10 for me.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Watched the movie last night.  As you point out, it is maddeningly slow to develop.  Although beautifully filmed (kudos to the DP), I was left with a ton of questions about the various characters.  

I'm sure the novel was better than Jane Campion's script/film.  I saw one of the two "surprises" coming a mile away (did you note the hearts on the saddle), but not how one character meets his fate.

6/10 for me.

I tried for about 20 mins. Couldn’t do it. 

Switched to Army of Thieves. Let’s just say I’m glad there weren’t 8 safes. 

But some nice eye candy. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

6/10 for me.

Me and the Mrs. lasted about 1 hour, and then we stopped. Don't recall the last movie I stopped watching, and we in total agreement that this was ridiculously S L O W . Would guess there was a violent confilct between Phil and Pete, with gay overtones. But it was boring. While it's beautiful and has a great cast, nothing happens. 

Cumberbatch in the "cat guy" movie is much more entertaining,playing an eccentric dealing with tragedy and family who depend on him way beyond anything fair . 

Went to a real movie theater to see "Belfast"-total Oscar bait. Pleasant, entertaining. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Me and the Mrs. lasted about 1 hour, and then we stopped. Don't recall the last movie I stopped watching, and we in total agreement that this was ridiculously S L O W . Would guess there was a violent confilct between Phil and Pete, with gay overtones. But it was boring. While it's beautiful and has a great cast, nothing happens. 

Cumberbatch in the "cat guy" movie is much more entertaining,playing an eccentric dealing with tragedy and family who depend on him way beyond anything fair . 

Went to a real movie theater to see "Belfast"-total Oscar bait. Pleasant, entertaining. 

Yeah, wish I had followed your lead and shut it off.  Just nothing going on with little to no backstory for each of the characters.  Not sure why this movie needed to be made.  

So, Belfast is worth a viewing?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, wish I had followed your lead and shut it off.  Just nothing going on with little to no backstory for each of the characters.  Not sure why this movie needed to be made.  

So, Belfast is worth a viewing?

The Mrs.'s parents are from Belfast,  so it was a date. Otherwise you can wait until it streams. It's a nice story about a terrible time. Won;t give tht ending away beyond that. 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The Mrs.'s parents are from Belfast,  so it was a date. Otherwise you can wait until it streams. It's a nice story about a terrible time. Won;t give tht ending away beyond that. 

Thank you.  I'm a huge Kenneth Branagh fan and my wife would pitch me into a raging fire for Jamie Dornan.  So that goes right into the streaming queue.

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2021 at 3:27 PM, IndianaJet said:

Go watch CODA on Apple TV+

And bring a box of tissues....lots of tissues.

Finally streamed CODA last night.  Absolutely loved the movie.  Nice to see a writer/director who understands story structure.

Emilia Jones in the role of the daughter is fantastic and adorable.  And what a wonderful singing voice.   Shocked me.  Eugenio Derbez in the role of the choir director is a standout as well.   Great cast and emotional story overall.   Highly recommend the film.

9/10

• Upvote 1

I watched it.  It was painful, boring, self indulgentt crap.  It's two hours of my life I won't get back.  

• Upvote 2

I liked Power of the Dog. It's a slow burn about desolation and resentment, and sometimes I think it's healthy to watch stories that don't have happy endings every now and then. I can't say I'll ever watch it again as once was enough, but as an exercise in filmmaking I enjoyed it quite a bit.

My only problem with it was that I am a huge fan of Season 2 of Fargo, and I couldn't not see the Blumquists every time Plemons and Dunst were doing their scenes. 

• Upvote 1

After reading about it months ago, finally watched @Zola last night.   Small movie, but really enjoyed it.  Reminiscent of Hustle and Flow.  

Great cast with excellent performances by Taylour Page, Elvis' granddaughter Riley Keough and Coleman Domingo.   Even Greg "The Egg" from Succession is great as the idiot boyfriend.

8/10

On 12/9/2021 at 10:35 PM, T0mShane said:

I know I’m late to it, but I watched Free Solo and The Alpinist over the last two nights and I am forever changed. What unique and interesting dudes, both incredibly smart and with negligible capacity for fear.

Have you watched "14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible" on Netflix? 

If you're not burnt out on high mountaing climbing, what this guy Nims Purja did was absolutely stunning.

All 14 8,000 meter peaks in less than 7 months.

It took the first climber 16 years to climb all 14.  The current record was the 14 peaks in 7 YEARS.

The guy is superman.  What an incredible feat.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Have you watched "14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible" on Netflix? 

If you're not burnt out on high mountaing climbing, what this guy Nims Purja did was absolutely stunning.

All 14 8,000 meter peaks in less than 7 months.

It took the first climber 16 years to climb all 14.  The current record was the 14 peaks in 7 YEARS.

The guy is superman.  What an incredible feat.  

I put that on my Watchlist. I’m still a little shook from watching Honnold survive The Boulder Problem. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I put that on my Watchlist. I’m still a little shook from watching Honnold survive The Boulder Problem. 

Lol, you have fear but Honnold has no fear, I've heard he's he's on the spectrum which blunts that fear.  He's a very interesting dude. 

I can't even look at heights.  Kills me.  When I was working in Manahattan, we were on the 56th floor of our building and if I saw guys cleaning windows that high up I would get the ball thing.  

Ate at Windows on the World back in the day and I almost threw up my entire meal when I went up to the window.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Lol, you have fear but Honnold has no fear, I've heard he's he's on the spectrum which blunts that fear.  He's a very interesting dude. 

I can't even look at heights.  Kills me.  When I was working in Manahattan, we were on the 56th floor of our building and if I saw guys cleaning windows that high up I would get the ball thing.  

Ate at Windows on the World back in the day and I almost threw up my entire meal when I went up to the window.  

I enjoyed the part where they did the MRI on his brain and compared his brain scan to that of a normal person’s, and his amygdala just didn’t fire. No panic response. I used to be a lot better with heights, but as I’ve aged, I think about how much falling sucks a lot more

43 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I have climbed a bunch of 12-14'ers and even on the safest of exposed ridges I have mild panic attacks and have almost crapped myself quite a few times. No idea how someone just does a completely exposed face and keeps it together. Without a line? Not possible. And yet, the guy does it. 

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have climbed a bunch of 12-14'ers and even on the safest of exposed ridges I have mild panic attacks and have almost crapped myself quite a few times. No idea how someone just does a completely exposed face and keeps it together. Without a line? Not possible. And yet, the guy does it. 

My buddies and me have done some crazy things, we did Great White Sharks in Isla Guadalupe. 

I’m trying to convince them to trek to Everest base camp. 

No takers so far. 

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

My buddies and me have done some crazy things, we did Great White Sharks in Isla Guadalupe. 

I would do this in a heartbeat.  Probably need to get certified first.  Also probably need to learn how to swim, lol.

Do they allow uncertified people to go down in cages with a hookah dive system?

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Watched "Encounter" on Amazon last night.   Riz Ahmed, who you might remember from "Sound of Metal", gives another outstanding performance.   Very interesting film.  8/10

Nice.  Thanks.  I will check that out.  I love him.  I first saw him in Nightcrawler and then he killed it in, Night Of, on HBO (RIP Michael K. Williams).  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Nice.  Thanks.  I will check that out.  I love him.  I first saw him in Nightcrawler and then he killed it in, Night Of, on HBO (RIP Michael K. Williams).  

Ahmed is a major talent.  Great, layered performance in Encounter.   It's a simple, yet complex, story/flick.  I don't want to say anything more about it.

• Upvote 1