Movies We've Seen Thread

4 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I would do this in a heartbeat.  Probably need to get certified first.  Also probably need to learn how to swim, lol.

Do they allow uncertified people to go down in cages with a hookah dive system?

Nope. Can’t get on the boat without certification. 

Isla Guadalupe. 24 hour boat ride off of Baja. 5 day live aboard (the island is a preserve) but the boat is great, the food is great, the booze is super cheap, there’s a hot tub and you can go in the cages as much as you want from 7 am to 4 pm. 10 feet down and 40 feet down. Have some great pics. 

Oh yeah, a young male GW somehow got in the top of one of the cages, I was in the 10 foot cages and got some good bloody pics. From the GW sharks gills, divers were fine but had to exit the cage from about 20 feet down (the started lifting the cage when the shark got wedged into the bars) and had to swim to the surface. Amongst GWSs. 

Funny story now looking back, scary as sh*t when it was going on. 

Divemaster’s heroics saved the divers AND the shark. 10 more mins and the shark would have drowned. Actually a great story. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

4 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I would do this in a heartbeat.  Probably need to get certified first.  Also probably need to learn how to swim, lol.

Do they allow uncertified people to go down in cages with a hookah dive system?

I have 3 ocean bucket lists. 

Great Whites, check. 

Next up whale sharks and manta rays. Will probably check off in one trip in the next year or two. 

Off of Cabo. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I missed this one.  Just added it to the queue.   Thanks, PF.

The first episode is GREAT, first couple are very good but I will say as it progresses, not my favorite story arc.  Still good, you should definitely watch but you'll understand what I mean after you watch it.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Nope. Can’t get on the boat without certification. 

Isla Guadalupe. 24 hour boat ride off of Baja. 5 day live aboard (the island is a preserve) but the boat is great, the food is great, the booze is super cheap, there’s a hot tub and you can go in the cages as much as you want from 7 am to 4 pm. 10 feet down and 40 feet down. Have some great pics. 

Oh yeah, a young male GW somehow got in the top of one of the cages, I was in the 10 foot cages and got some good bloody pics. From the GW sharks gills, divers were fine but had to exit the cage from about 20 feet down (the started lifting the cage when the shark got wedged into the bars) and had to swim to the surface. Amongst GWSs. 

Funny story now looking back, scary as sh*t when it was going on. 

Divemaster’s heroics saved the divers AND the shark. 10 more mins and the shark would have drowned. Actually a great story. 

Not to brag, but my old man is/was A Dive Master, Master Scuba Diver, and Law Enforcement Dive/Recovery guy for 30 years. He and his partner Rusty Hatfield (former USMC Diver) were my Dive Instructors when I was 16. My first check Dive, I swear Rusty yanked my regulator 3-4 times at 45+ feet. Learned "Stay calm, sweep, recover" very quickly.

But the culmination of that Dive was, sh*t you not, my old man riding a 7 foot Bull like he was ******* aquaman AT ME. Yanked it's fin and let go like it was a damn scooter.

Those guys were God's. I hate that my Dad got old. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/1/2021 at 10:56 PM, T0mShane said:

I just watched Power of the Dog on Netflix and it feels like a stage play with great actors going way over the top and a really tense third act that was unsettling. It won’t be for everyone—it’s slow and intentionally uncomfortable—but if you stick with it, there is a “wow” payoff. 

That is great that the movie delivered it.

We all know your date didn't have the same feeling when it was over.

• Haha 2

Saw National Champions. When it was over, I was like wow, that movie sucked. It was hard to make me not like a movie but they pulled it off. Really disappointed especially with the ending. Felt like a budget cut hit and they left out the last ten minutes and rolled the credits instead.

This review sums it up well.

Dec 12, 2021

It's hard to focus on the performances when the direction is so bland, and Waugh's play-calling is safer than Urban Meyer's. Every time he has a chance to take a risk, he kicks a field-goal from the one-yard line.

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Not to brag, but my old man is/was A Dive Master, Master Scuba Diver, and Law Enforcement Dive/Recovery guy for 30 years. He and his partner Rusty Hatfield (former USMC Diver) were my Dive Instructors when I was 16. My first check Dive, I swear Rusty yanked my regulator 3-4 times at 45+ feet. Learned "Stay calm, sweep, recover" very quickly.

But the culmination of that Dive was, sh*t you not, my old man riding a 7 foot Bull like he was ******* aquaman AT ME. Yanked it's fin and let go like it was a damn scooter.

Those guys were God's. I hate that my Dad got old. 

I was hyperventilating reading this.   Man, your Dad and Rusty were/are hard asses.  WTF is it like getting your regulator yanked away at that depth?  Must be a little...ah...disconcerting, no?  Wow.

And your Dad riding that beast?  Good Lord, that's right out of a movie.  Insane story, JE1.

• Sympathy 2

On 12/14/2021 at 6:33 PM, Peace Frog said:

My buddies and me have done some crazy things, we did Great White Sharks in Isla Guadalupe. 

I’m trying to convince them to trek to Everest base camp. 

No takers so far. 

I'm interested in doing Everest base camp, but isn't it very expensive? As far as great whites? No thanks. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I was hyperventilating reading this.   Man, your Dad and Rusty were/are hard asses.  WTF is it like getting your regulator yanked away at that depth?  Must be a little...ah...disconcerting, no?  Wow.

And your Dad riding that beast?  Good Lord, that's right out of a movie.  Insane story, JE1.

Good times. 

Rusty treated every one of his students like they were in BUD/s or something.  LOL.  Before the open water dive, we went to a place called Force-E in Jupiter FL,  and they had a 20' pool. Once I got comfortable with the gear and adept at troubleshooting,  he started yanking Reg and Mask to get me used to any type of contingency.  I was lucky enough to have world class Dive training. Sadly, I haven't dove in almost 10 years.... and statistically at 50 years old, SCUBA Diving becomes Exponentially more dangerous. Same as Firefighting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/16/2021 at 8:59 PM, IndianaJet said:

T-minus 2.5 hours until Spiderman No Way Home.

Can't wait.  Been trying to avoid reviews but what little I am seeing so far says it is epic.

Seen it last night. Hugely enjoyable. I do wonder if it will hold up on rewatches. I remember loving Endgame when I first watched but now I think it’s sh*t lol.

As a movie going experience though it was amazing. Everyone should see it. Felt like a kid again at times.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, maury77 said:

Spider Man No Way Home is arguably the best fan service comic book movie every. Great on so many levels if you have watched all of them going back to the original one with Tobey. When is the spoiler moratorium over so we can discuss in detail?

Spoiler moratorium should end soon....I mean it took in almost $600 million this weekend world wide, so anybody who really wanted to see it, should have already.

I went back last night for a 2nd viewing.   First because my buddy wanted to see it and second because I wanted to see it in a packed house again and take in more of the incredible audience reactions.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Wasn't really sure what to expect with Encounter and it wound up being a pretty touching story about the power of fatherhood in a very different way than I have ever seen. Very clever and well shot.

I gave it a good review above, too.  Riz Ahmed and those two kids were great.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:07 AM, maury77 said:

Spider Man No Way Home is arguably the best fan service comic book movie every. Great on so many levels if you have watched all of them going back to the original one with Tobey. When is the spoiler moratorium over so we can discuss in detail?

Agree.   The movie was excellent, one of the top comic book movies ever, and the best Marvel has made in a long time.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

Agree.   The movie was excellent, one of the top comic book movies ever, and the best Marvel has made in a long time.

wow..   I can't wait to see this.  I've been so down on superhero/comic book stuff for a while.  Sorely needed.

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2021 at 3:46 PM, munchmemory said:

I missed this one.  Just added it to the queue.   Thanks, PF.

I loved Night Of.  That was several years ago.  Yes, it's flawed in multiple ways, but the mood and feel is the NYC I grew up in.  Loved it.  And Turturro is the sh*t.  Feet that would make Rex Ryan cringe. You'll understand after you watch. Enjoy.

• Upvote 1

I had been looking forward to Matrix 4 quite a bit and it was definitely the second best movie of the franchise and a solid conclusion to anyone that found the end of Revolutions to be a little boring. It’s not a perfect flick by any means and gets a liiiittle too deep into Reloaded gobbledygook a few times, but it’s just meta enough not to take itself too seriously and contains one of the better car chase scenes I’ve seen in a long time. The trailer did a good job of showing what the first 45 minutes or so are about and then it’s off to the races. The parts where Wachowski keeps it simple are masterful.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I had been looking forward to Matrix 4 quite a bit and it was definitely the second best movie of the franchise and a solid conclusion to anyone that found the end of Revolutions to be a little boring. It’s not a perfect flick by any means and gets a liiiittle too deep into Reloaded gobbledygook a few times, but it’s just meta enough not to take itself too seriously and contains one of the better car chase scenes I’ve seen in a long time. The trailer did a good job of showing what the first 45 minutes or so are about and then it’s off to the races. The parts where Wachowski keeps it simple are masterful.

I'm shocked at this.

That movie moved immediately into my top 10 worst movies of all time.

Disjointed, inconsistent and self-indulgent with absolutely none of the feel of the original trilogy. Even with low expectations, I was disappointed.

• Upvote 1

As someone who is not a Marvel movie fan, I have not seen any of the previous SpiderMan movies.  Wife wants to go this weekend -- am I going to be completely lost if I haven't seen the prior movies in the series?  Or does the movie stand on its own.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I'm shocked at this.

That movie moved immediately into my top 10 worst movies of all time.

Disjointed, inconsistent and self-indulgent with absolutely none of the feel of the original trilogy. Even with low expectations, I was disappointed.

The general consensus on RT is that people who like it will love it and people that dislike it will loathe it. So, you shouldn’t be that shocked.

@Peace Frog  @Dcat  We watched the first episode of The Night Of last night.   It did not disappoint.  Fantastic story, which was developed beautifully.   Had us on edge the entire time. Can't wait to watch the rest.

I can see how Det. Box (the great Bill Camp) and Jack Stone (the always awesome John Turturro) are already huge presences.  The interplay between the cops is stellar.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

STAR WARS. I am younger and but I have seen most of the movies. I am trying to appreciate it more though so I am making an effort to understand it better. Before this rewatch, they seemed super repetitive (especially the new ones) but I LOVE the Mandalorian so that's why I've embarked on this journey.

I have seen all but I,II,III. During this winter break, I want to watch all of the Star Wars movies and I am basically following this order: IV V I II III VI Then, not sure.

I have tried to watch Episode I on two occasions and never got through it, therefore I have never seen 2 or 3. Finally finished it, and it is not that bad this time but I watched it in parts. Sure, Jar Jar Binks is awful but the kid is a kid actor and reading about what he went through after this film (even being diagnosed with Schizophrenia), I am not holding it against him too much. Having low expectations probably helps as well.

About halfway through Episode II now.  It is a lot better than Episode 1 so far (no sh*t, I know).

13 hours ago, Lith said:

As someone who is not a Marvel movie fan, I have not seen any of the previous SpiderMan movies.  Wife wants to go this weekend -- am I going to be completely lost if I haven't seen the prior movies in the series?  Or does the movie stand on its own.

Thanks

Haven't seen the new one yet but the other two are really good and worth a watch if you are bored at any time.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

@Peace Frog  @Dcat  We watched the first episode of The Night Of last night.   It did not disappoint.  Fantastic story, which was developed beautifully.   Had us on edge the entire time. Can't wait to watch the rest.

I can see how Det. Box (the great Bill Camp) and Jack Stone (the always awesome John Turturro) are already huge presences.  The interplay between the cops is stellar.

Yeah, when he's in the cop car and they show up back at...the apartment?!?  I wanted to vomit I was so scared.

The story arc is a bit...I don't know...not what I expected--good but not like that first episode. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Thanks

The movie stands on its own, but you will miss out on the nostalgia that the movie brings. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I think you'll like Michael K Williams character later on.  The acting in the series makes the story line more tolerable as the show moves on.  I really liked it.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The general consensus on RT is that people who like it will love it and people that dislike it will loathe it. So, you shouldn’t be that shocked.

Well I am because I'm very disconnected from general consensus on anything because everyone is dumb as sh*t. But also cuz frequently we're on the same page.