Jump to content

Movies We've Seen Thread


T0mShane

Recommended Posts

On 12/23/2021 at 8:18 PM, Lith said:

As someone who is not a Marvel movie fan, I have not seen any of the previous SpiderMan movies.  Wife wants to go this weekend -- am I going to be completely lost if I haven't seen the prior movies in the series?  Or does the movie stand on its own.

Thanks

binge them all on Christmas Eve after she falls asleep.  You're not assembling any bicycles are you?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So two of our kids were over and we watched a movie, Don’t Look Up with Leonardo Decaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep etc. Its a Netflix 2021 movie and if you haven’t heard about it about a comet coming on a trajectory to destroy earth and a parody on climate change and how greed and corrupt gov is more than willing to risk the world against almost sure destruction. It was political about now and lampooned what is going on politically, socially across the spectrum. Some people might not like it but too bad. I thought it was at times over the top and silly even though I agree with it. Of course current day politics are over the top and ridiculous. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, maury77 said:

The movie stands on its own, but you will miss out on the nostalgia that the movie brings. 

Thanks.  I am not interested in nostalgia, just want to be entertained for two hours.  Otherwise, I end up reclining in the theater, shutting my eyes and my nap reflex will kick in.  Which would not be the wort thing to happen (that's how I got through one of the Batman movies a few years ago).  So I guess its a win-win.  Either I enjoy the movie or I get a nice nap.

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

binge them all on Christmas Eve after she falls asleep.  You're not assembling any bicycles are you?

That's what I did last night.  Watched the last one in the series which my wife said should help going into the new one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

So two of our kids were over and we watched a movie, Don’t Look Up with Leonardo Decaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep etc. Its a Netflix 2021 movie and if you haven’t heard about it about a comet coming on a trajectory to destroy earth and a parody on climate change and how greed and corrupt gov is more than willing to risk the world against almost sure destruction. It was political about now and lampooned what is going on politically, socially across the spectrum. Some people might not like it but too bad. I thought it was at times over the top and silly even though I agree with it. Of course current day politics are over the top and ridiculous. 

 

We streamed it last night, too.   From the opening quotation to the stinger, I found the movie clever, fun and full of silly laughs.   Everything from talk shows to technology gurus gets skewered.  I especially love the running joke with Jennifer Lawrence.  I'm one of those folks who could not let that go either.  My wife and I were still talking about the flick and laughing this morning so that should say something.

9/10  Only because Jennifer Lawrence remains clothed throughout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

We streamed it last night, too.   From the opening quotation to the stinger, I found the movie clever, fun and full of silly laughs.   Everything from talk shows to technology gurus gets skewered.  I especially love the running joke with Jennifer Lawrence.  I'm one of those folks who could not let that go either.  My wife and I were still talking about the flick and laughing this morning so that should say something.

9/10  Only because Jennifer Lawrence remains clothed throughout.

btw there was some controversy on the last scene with all of the nudity. I looked it up and it was a body double in for Meryl Streep not her actually in the nude. And Leo Decaprio was miffed with the Director for putting it in insinuating that it was actually her naked. Even though Meryl was OK with it.  He said something to the effect that it showed disrespect for one of the great actresses of her generation. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

btw there was some controversy on the last scene with all of the nudity. I looked it up and it was a body double in for Meryl Streep not her actually in the nude. And Leo Decaprio was miffed with the Director for putting it in insinuating that it was actually her naked. Even though Meryl was OK with it.  He said something to the effect that it showed disrespect for one of the great actresses of her generation. 

Who actually thought that was Meryl Streep nude?  And if I'm her, I'd be psyched they believed that young person's butt was mine.  lol

I had not read about that supposed controversy.   The overreaction seems to go well with the message of the film.  

Reading a few reviews this morning for Adam McKay's movie.  Several panned it.  I enjoyed the flick.  I was laughing at the gags throughout.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Who actually thought that was Meryl Streep nude?  And if I'm her, I'd be psyched they believed that young person's butt was mine.  lol

I had not read about that supposed controversy.   The overreaction seems to go well with the message of the film.  

Reading a few reviews this morning for Adam McKay's movie.  Several panned it.  I enjoyed the flick.  I was laughing at the gags throughout.

So here’s a link for that Streep controversy. https://people.com/movies/leonardo-dicaprio-unsure-about-meryl-streep-nude-scene-dont-look-up/?amp=true

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I enjoyed Don’t Look Up. Belongs right up with Idiocracy and a notch below Dr. Strangelove. I’m not sure how DiCaprio prepared for that role but he nailed a LOT of things straight out of the park for the minutiae of a moderately successful public Ivy professor. The obscure pigeon holed specialty, the way he can’t manage his beard on his own or grasp the concept of a solid colored shirt, the way political figures scoff at anyone that isn’t from Harvard or Yale, having to try and remember methodologies from grad school that nobody ******* uses, and the “you probably haven’t heard of me because I haven’t published in a while” line was priceless. Even the combo of meds and anxiety issues…just perfect. 

Does he fight a bear in this movie? I really like it when he fights a bear. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Mrs. put on "Meet the Ricardos". Cast is very good, but Bardem is excellent.Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes. 

Always get the feel though with any Aaron Sorkin project the writing is much more academic than how anyone talks IRL. It's part of what movies and TV are; you don't want to see and hear people mumbling or saying "uh huh". Further there really was no danger of Lucille Ball's career ending over something that happened when she was a teenager. Her husband's family had to flee Cuba to get away from Castro; what ever she may have thought or done at 18, she was well over any youthful Communist sympathies. So the  "A" conflict was barely a conflict at all. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I enjoyed Don’t Look Up. Belongs right up with Idiocracy and a notch below Dr. Strangelove. I’m not sure how DiCaprio prepared for that role but he nailed a LOT of things straight out of the park for the minutiae of a moderately successful public Ivy professor. The obscure pigeon holed specialty, the way he can’t manage his beard on his own or grasp the concept of a solid colored shirt, the way political figures scoff at anyone that isn’t from Harvard or Yale, having to try and remember methodologies from grad school that nobody ******* uses, and the “you probably haven’t heard of me because I haven’t published in a while” line was priceless. Even the combo of meds and anxiety issues…just perfect. 

Also just to add on to this: His display of how ming-bogglingly frustrating it is to explain the importance of peer review to people, what the scientific method actually provides, and what probability actually means. Can't even begin to count the amount of times I've been there and almost lost it on the level that he did. Just brilliant.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2021 at 10:00 AM, Drums said:

STAR WARS. I am younger and but I have seen most of the movies. I am trying to appreciate it more though so I am making an effort to understand it better. Before this rewatch, they seemed super repetitive (especially the new ones) but I LOVE the Mandalorian so that's why I've embarked on this journey.

I have seen all but I,II,III. During this winter break, I want to watch all of the Star Wars movies and I am basically following this order: IV V I II III VI Then, not sure.
 
I have tried to watch Episode I on two occasions and never got through it, therefore I have never seen 2 or 3. Finally finished it, and it is not that bad this time but I watched it in parts. Sure, Jar Jar Binks is awful but the kid is a kid actor and reading about what he went through after this film (even being diagnosed with Schizophrenia), I am not holding it against him too much. Having low expectations probably helps as well.
 
About halfway through Episode II now.  It is a lot better than Episode 1 so far (no sh*t, I know).

As an OG star wars guy, .( 10 years old for IV) I can say there are 3.5 movies worth watching. The last half of III, IV, V and VI. 
 

8 was so bad I never saw 9 and never will  

 

VII is just a weaker version of IV and I and II are drivel  

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

@Peace Frog @Dcat Binged the final four episodes of The Night Of last night.   No doubt, one of the finest series I've ever watched.  Everyone involved, especially John Turturro, were brilliant in their roles.  Great storylines as well, especially the feet odyssey. lol   Thanks again.

Loved it.  Brilliant acting by all.  I believe Riz won an Emmy for his role.  His bond with Freddy in Rikers (?) was so very interesting.  I'm partial to Michael Williams ever since he played Smokey in Boardwalk Empire.  And the cat running thru Stone's apartment in the final scene was perfect.   (I remember my wife debating with me as we watched the series early on about how the cat would be the key link to solving the crime.  I told her if that's the case, then I'm never watching HBO again.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

@Peace Frog @Dcat Binged the final four episodes of The Night Of last night.   No doubt, one of the finest series I've ever watched.  Everyone involved, especially John Turturro, were brilliant in their roles.  Great storylines as well, especially the feet odyssey. lol   Thanks again.

I don't know, the story arc (actually his character development) through the prison seemed a bit out there.  I enjoyed it but I didn't see him becoming the guy he became.  

I've aslo never been in prison so...who knows how you change once inside.

Turturro was great. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Loved it.  Brilliant acting by all.  I believe Riz won an Emmy for his role.  His bond with Freddy in Rikers (?) was so very interesting.  I'm partial to Michael Williams ever since he played Smokey in Boardwalk Empire.  And the cat running thru Stone's apartment in the final scene was perfect.   (I remember my wife debating with me as we watched the series early on about how the cat would be the key link to solving the crime.  I told her if that's the case, then I'm never watching HBO again.)

Loved Michael K. Williams on Boardwalk, too.  He has an innate ability to create intensity, tension and fear without making it cartoonish.  His unicorn speech with Nasir was beautifully written and acted.  Those two were incredible together.

We had the same thought about the cat. lol  I agree with you that it would have totally cheapened the story and I would have sought out the writers.

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I don't know, the story arc (actually his character development) through the prison seemed a bit out there.  I enjoyed it but I didn't see him becoming the guy he became.  

I've aslo never been in prison so...who knows how you change once inside.

Turturro was great. 

All I'll say is that the three of us watching totally bought the prison aspects.   I don't know if it is exaggerated or not.  But the writers and directors did an excellent job of taking us through the under belly of the legal and prison systems.  

The only two ideas which seemed a bit "out there" were the young lawyer agreeing to the "method of "transport" of the illicit material and Stone chasing Mr. Reade intpo that tenament basement.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

@Peace Frog @Dcat Binged the final four episodes of The Night Of last night.   No doubt, one of the finest series I've ever watched.  Everyone involved, especially John Turturro, were brilliant in their roles.  Great storylines as well, especially the feet odyssey. lol   Thanks again.

Oh yeah. Just amazing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched Ridley Scott's The Last Duel last night.  I found it mostly dull, repetitive and lacking the proper pace necessary to tie the three chapters (points of view) together cohesively.  Also thought Matt Damon was tragically miscast.  Ben Affleck only slightly better.   Jodi Comer is a vision and the best part of the film.  5/10

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Have you seen Killing Eve?

Off the charts psychopathic hitwoman. And extremely funny. 

So good. 

Saw season one and I think two.  She was great in it (and so gorgeous).  For whatever reason, I stopped watching.  Maybe I'll revisit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...