Movies We've Seen Thread

So….watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada last night. This was a really good “film”.  What an interesting/quirky story beautifully shot, directed and acted (outstanding as usual) by Tommy Lee Jones. It’s a bit older (2005) but not dated. 

Incredible cast with Jones, Barry Pepper, Dwight Yoakam, January Jones (what a doll), Melissa Leo, Julio Caesar Cedillo and a great cameo by Levon Helms. 

A slow burn, at 2 hours might seem a bit much but really really well done. A border crossing story with a twist. 

A cross between No Country For Old Men (not nearly as great, no psychopath killer and not a lot of violence) and Lonesome Dove. With some Tarantino skipping back and forth in the timeline. Serious, sad, funny, heartbreaking, intelligent.  

A film that gets you to think about it for a while after. 

Pepper is great in it and Tommy Lee Jones is….Tommy Lee Jones. 

Recommended if you’re not looking for a shoot em up or romcom, more of a modern day western.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

So….watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada last night. This was a really good “film”.  What an interesting/quirky story beautifully shot, directed and acted (outstanding as usual) by Tommy Lee Jones. It’s a bit older (2005) but not dated. 

Incredible cast with Jones, Barry Pepper, Dwight Yoakam, January Jones (what a doll), Melissa Leo, Julio Caesar Cedillo and a great cameo by Levon Helms. 

A slow burn, at 2 hours might seem a bit much but really really well done. A border crossing story with a twist. 

A cross between No Country For Old Men (not nearly as great, no psychopath killer and not a lot of violence) and Lonesome Dove. With some Tarantino skipping back and forth in the timeline. Serious, sad, funny, heartbreaking, intelligent.  

A film that gets you to think about it for a while after. 

Pepper is great in it and Tommy Lee Jones is….Tommy Lee Jones. 

Recommended if you’re not looking for a shoot em up or romcom, more of a modern day western.  

As always, thanks for your review and recommendation.  I have not seen the flick, but will add to my watch list.

I'm a fan of TLJ as well.  And I'd walk on broken glass for a glimpse of January Jones' smile. 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

As always, thanks for your review and recommendation.  I have not seen the flick, but will add to my watch list.

I'm a fan of TLJ as well.  And I'd walk on broken glass for a glimpse of January Jones' smile. 

It's a long slow burn, crack a bottle of Chianti on a Saturday night and just watch it--this isn't a mid-week movie. It's kind of a layerd  journey film.  Painful, funny, quirky, TLJ 100% in his element.  Every member of the ensemble cast really nail it.  Melisso Leo especially.  Some of it was shot on TLJ's actual ranch.  

January Jones was very young in this picture, she's simply gorgeous.

Pepper wonderfully plays a very interesting charachter--not very likeable.  No spoilers.  

• Sympathy 1

After a few effusive recommendations from family members, watched Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut, The Lost Daughter.  I did not think it lived up to the hype.  It was slow moving, sparse in necessary storytelling/character development elements, and had one of the worst/cop out/silly endings I can recall.   I guess a minor stab wound doesn't merit much attention in this world.

Olivia Coleman was fine in the lead role.  But nothing to write home about.  I still can't believe this flick is getting so much positive press.  Just not for me.  I expected better.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Eternals was meh. Felt really weird to sit through a 2 and 1/2 hour movie and to come away knowing literally nothing about any of the characters. I haven’t seen Spider-Man yet but everything post-Endgame from Marvel has been kinda sh*t. I hope they at least nail Blade.

If you are a fan of the other Spider-Man movies then the new one is an A++.  It’s probably my favorite out of all of them and I’m a huge Spider-Man fan. 

• Upvote 4

Films of the year for 2021 - 

Last night in Soho - terrific thriller with some great cinematography. It changes settings between current times and the 1960s. I’m also in love with Anya Taylor Joy which helps with my enjoyment of it. 

Halloween Kills - Probably my favorite franchise slasher movie of the 2000s. The pacing, kills, comedy, tension we’re all great. There were a couple cringe scenes, but beyond those I loved it. 

Ghostbusters Afterlife - As a huge Ghostbusters fan this one really hit me in the feelz. The dialog and acting was great in this one. It was overall just a fun ride. 

Spider-Man - I absolutely loved this movie. Probably my favorite super hero movie maybe ever. If you haven’t seen the previous ones then I highly recommend seeing those prior to this one. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Eternals was meh. Felt really weird to sit through a 2 and 1/2 hour movie and to come away knowing literally nothing about any of the characters. I haven’t seen Spider-Man yet but everything post-Endgame from Marvel has been kinda sh*t. I hope they at least nail Blade.

Same feedback I had on Eternals. Marcel went back to the movie to set up the next movie model. Best parts were post credits ffs

43 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also what’s with every movie being 2 and 1/2 hours now. 5 hours of my life the last few months dedicated to Shang Chi and Eternals. **** this.

Agreed. If the movie is simply to intro a few new characters, without any character development, just to set up the next 3 movies, then please… 90 minutes is more than enough. 

Spiderman was fantastic.  Saw it twice during the opening weekend.

Eternals - meh, if that.   I would be totally fine if they never show up in the MCU again...although I'd like to see more of Jon Snow as the Black Knight.

Shang Chi - pretty cool, would watch any future movies with that character in it.

Other than Spiderman, Marvel streaming shows have been much better than the movies since Endgame.

I'm really really looking forward to Moon Knight

• Upvote 2

Extremely biased on this as I’m a big Sir Ridley fan but I loved The Last Duel. It’s every bit as well done as the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven and while the cast seems like a caricature at first they all grow into the roles throughout. It’s a shame that it bombed but I think over time people will come to appreciate it.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Extremely biased on this as I’m a big Sir Ridley fan but I loved The Last Duel. It’s every bit as well done as the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven and while the cast seems like a caricature at first they all grow into the roles throughout. It’s a shame that it bombed but I think over time people will come to appreciate it.

Caught that recently too - really good movie. 

Surprised that both accounts of the crime were so similar - I'd thought going in that there would've been more ambiguity - and I can't deny for the first hour or so, before that happened, I was clearly rooting for Le Gris at the expense of the proud, completely-without-social-awareness and bumbling Carrouges. 

But I always enjoy work that's told in such a way that you can flip your opinion on someone quickly - like in GoT when Jaime saves Brienne from a similar fate and loses his hand/reveals why he killed the mad king. I hated that dude and then he became one of my favorite characters after that. 

Clearly Le Gris had the opposite arc, but it was well done. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Caught that recently too - really good movie. 

Surprised that both accounts of the crime were so similar - I'd thought going in that there would've been more ambiguity - and I can't deny for the first hour or so, before that happened, I was clearly rooting for Le Gris at the expense of the proud, completely-without-social-awareness and bumbling Carrouges. 

But I always enjoy work that's told in such a way that you can flip your opinion on someone quickly - like in GoT when Jaime saves Brienne from a similar fate and loses his hand/reveals why he killed the mad king. I hated that dude and then he became one of my favorite characters after that. 

Clearly Le Gris had the opposite arc, but it was well done. 

The grumpy mom being the good guy was the ultimate plot twist. Brought the point of the movie home. Actually pretty brilliant writing on Damon and Affleck’s part.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:06 PM, IndianaJet said:

Spiderman was fantastic.  Saw it twice during the opening weekend.

Eternals - meh, if that.   I would be totally fine if they never show up in the MCU again...although I'd like to see more of Jon Snow as the Black Knight.

Shang Chi - pretty cool, would watch any future movies with that character in it.

Other than Spiderman, Marvel streaming shows have been much better than the movies since Endgame.

I would watch this.

Btw, I was thrown a bit with Issac's british accent, I've seen him in a dozen movies and he's never had that so I had to look him up.

I can't believe how many actors I thought we American were actually British.

Having said that, Issac, born in Guatemala was raised in America lol.  

On 1/18/2022 at 2:06 PM, IndianaJet said:

Spiderman was fantastic.  Saw it twice during the opening weekend.  AGREE

Shang Chi - pretty cool, would watch any future movies with that character in it.  AGREE

I thought Eternals was so bad.

Apparently, now there is a giant hand sticking out of the Indian Ocean, maybe part of a head too?

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 11:28 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I hope they at least nail Blade.

I highly doubt it

I don’t know who the hell came up with the idea to make a PG-13 bloodless, goreless vampire flick.

Disney gave the okay for Deadpool 3 to receive an R-rating but not Marvel’s infamous vampire slayer?

• Upvote 1

Late to the party but watched "Dont Look Up" last night and it was absolutely ******* brilliant.  The acting was brilliant, the parody on modern society was absolutely spot ******* on, the depiction of our political climate was prefect, the way they portrayed big tech was hilarious, J-Law and Jonah Hill scenes were absolutely ******* hilarious.  I loved it.  I've heard the term "over the top" used to describe the movie and I find myself confused as to why?  Seemed pretty dead on accurate to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Late to the party but watched "Dont Look Up" last night and it was absolutely ******* brilliant.  The acting was brilliant, the parody on modern society was absolutely spot ******* on, the depiction of our political climate was prefect, the way they portrayed big tech was hilarious, J-Law and Jonah Hill scenes were absolutely ******* hilarious.  I loved it.  I've heard the term "over the top" used to describe the movie and I find myself confused as to why?  Seemed pretty dead on accurate to me.

Completely agree, I didn’t find it over the top at all. It’s exactly how the world we live in today behaves.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

On 1/27/2022 at 9:08 AM, JiFapono said:

Of course a parody of our over the top society gets called “over the top”.

The foundational elements to us being here are:

- a gross lack of self-awareness

- a populous rife with insecurity and soft bitch traits

- denial and the need to attack anything that might offend 

- people suck and dogs and apes should take the planet

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2022 at 10:28 PM, chirorob said:

Watched the new Matrix, because I just wanted to see for myself.

What a titanic crap fest.

I didnt even finish it.  for the half of the movie I saw, it just seemed in your face that "we didnt want to make a 4th matrix movie".

At some point I will watch the whole thing with my kiddos seeing as how we watched the first 3 together to get ready for this. I will be sure to temper their expectations.