Movies We've Seen Thread

On 3/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I tried Windfall and only made it about halfway through, which is odd. I love Hitchcock movies and they tried their damned hardest to make one. It felt miscast, which is also odd because I like both Plemons and Jason Segal in almost everything else. And it felt super slow, which again is odd because it's a short movie. Odd flick that just never feels right from the moment it starts and it's hard to put a finger on why.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:45 PM, T0mShane said:

I watched it all the way through. It’s mostly just Plemons and Segal doing commentary on the inherent evils of capitalism and closes with a twisty, amusing ending you didn’t see coming and makes you say, “ah, ok.” 

Agreed with both. I"m a huge Hitchcock fan, and when viewing it through that lens, it was a disappointment - especially with the actors involved. 

That said, it wasn't a terrible way to spend 1.5 hours, and there were some amusing parts to it even if they weren't meant to be.

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:56 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i am currently rewatching the master. great performances but have no clue what this is all about. maybe im dumb

I only watched trailer but I think it's about racist ghosts at a university? IDK looked spooky but I wasn't in the mood for social justice masquerading as a horror movie.

19 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Tony Hawk documentary is dope.

I was thinking about watching this but made a pass because I figured it would be a lot of what I've already heard about him.

I've seen him talk in interviews and podcasts before he's a pretty interesting guy actually so would probably recommend to anyone who hasn't heard him talk about his life before or barely knows who he is.

• Upvote 1

https://nichegamer.com/sonic-movie-director-smash-bros-movie/

Sonic live-action film director Jeff Fowler did rounds of interviews on the eve of the Sonic the Hedgehog film sequel premiering, and one particular interview had the director hypothesizing some kind of big Smash Bros. movie mashup.

“Nothing would make me happier than to just throw all the characters into a battle royale and do a big Smash Bros. thing,” Fowler said to CBR.

He added, “That would probably require some work from the lawyers before that could happen. Getting Mario and Sonic in the ring, I mean everyone would be kinda dying for that, right? That’s just classic.”

Yeah, that would be pretty cool.

I think before that's done they should take an Avenger's approach to it by doing a Mario movie (already in the works apparently), a Legend of Zelda movie, a Metroid movie, etc and then bring them all together to fight Master Hand.

• Upvote 1

Oh also, I watched Moonfall the other day.

I came in wanting and expecting a more traditional disaster movie along the lines of Day After Tomorrow but apparently it was more sci fi than that.

Pretty good, worth watching.

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2022 at 7:59 AM, munchmemory said:

Not Judd Apatow's best effort, but I enjoyed The Bubble on Netflix last night.  Over the top silliness with a bunch of laughs.

It was ok. At least some new angles in line with modern society. But Judd has to stop ramming his wife and daughter down your throat. They suck. 

10 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I find Euphoria to be the most ironically named show in the history of television. And I'm a fan of Zendaya. I really did want to like it, but what a bore.

The first season was very good.  Overall, I didn't like this season.  Too much goofiness.  I hope it does not come back.

The show needs to use Colman Domingo more.  He's fantastic.  The pre-season episode with Rue and Ali in the diner is the best thing the show ever did.  I'm a big fan of Zendaya, too.

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

The first season was very good.  Overall, I didn't like this season.  Too much goofiness.  I hope it does not come back.

The show needs to use Colman Domingo more.  He's fantastic.  The pre-season episode with Rue and Ali in the diner is the best thing the show ever did.  I'm a big fan of Zendaya, too.

One of the best young actors out there. Seems she excels at drama and comedy both.

• Upvote 1

We just watched Home Team a Netflix original about Sean Payton the year he was suspended starring Kevin James as Sean Payton produced by Adam Sandler and it was pretty good. After being suspended he ends up driving to a town in Texas where his ex wife and pre teen son live trying to reconnect with his son. His son plays for a youth football team who has lost all of their games. The team’s head coach tries to recruit Payton to help him coach the team he reluctantly accepts but before long he’s again intense and only cares about winning even if it means driving his players even though they are kids. But he learns a lot from the kids on the team and the head coach who is about the kids first and winning later and backs off even if it means losing the championship game. It was a like-able story with a good ending. Sean reconnected with his son and they became tight. 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:58 PM, Nolder said:

Dude what

I watched this movie for about an hour, hour and a half then I turned it off.

There are people who enjoyed this movie?

That is EXACTLY what happened in my family room last night.  An hour and change in, we just couldn't stand all the mumbling illogical dialogue, nearly impossible to hear in a very good audio set up BTW, and a miserably dark screen for almost the entirety.  Unpleasant.  Mostly uninteresting.  I'll finish it this week and if so inclined, may give it another try.   For now, at least, after 60+ minutes in, The Batman sucks. royally.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

That is EXACTLY what happened in my family room last night.  An hour and change in, we just couldn't stand all the mumbling illogical dialogue, nearly impossible to hear in a very good audio set up BTW, and a miserably dark screen for almost the entirety.  Unpleasant.  Mostly uninteresting.  I'll finish it this week and if so inclined, may give it another try.   For now, at least, after 60+ minutes in, The Batman sucks. royally.

I watched it again with the wife last night (she had not seen it).

We had to have on sub titles, watching it again, Pattinson was not a good choice for Batman.  It was wayyyyyy to long, and at the end of the day, Batman didn't do anything, and people did things that made no sense. 

"There's a flood!"   "Let's evacuate to a building that is even further below sea level!"  

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I watched it again with the wife last night (she had not seen it).

We had to have on sub titles, watching it again, Pattinson was not a good choice for Batman.  It was wayyyyyy to long, and at the end of the day, Batman didn't do anything, and people did things that made no sense. 

"There's a flood!"   "Let's evacuate to a building that is even further below sea level!"  

Geez.  We were planning to watch the flick last night but wound up locked into NBA playoffs.   

So is it really that awful?   Should we give it a try?

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Geez.  We were planning to watch the flick last night but wound up locked into NBA playoffs.   

So is it really that awful?   Should we give it a try?

It's long.  There are good elements, most of the side characters are well done.  

It is more of a detective movie, which is a nice change, but it is really a physically dark movie, like, don't watch it during the day in a brighter room.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, chirorob said:

It's long.  There are good elements, most of the side characters are well done.  

It is more of a detective movie, which is a nice change, but it is really a physically dark movie, like, don't watch it during the day in a brighter room.

Thanks, chirorob.  That darkness element seems to be a "thing"in many movies and TV series.  Not sure what these directors are going for.

2 hours ago, Nolder said:

Watched Uncharted last night. You wouldn't even know it was a video game movie if you didn't already know, it was a great adventure movie. Kind of reminded me a little of National Treasure but with Spiderman.

Tom Holland looks like a child

If they were going to do an Uncharted movie then they should’ve cast Nathan Fillion 10 years ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Thanks, chirorob.  That darkness element seems to be a "thing"in many movies and TV series.  Not sure what these directors are going for.
Believe it or not SOME of it is due to extremely talented DOPs still adapting to the world of HDR.

The advent of digital camera brought a world if flexability, but also required new ways of thinking about color space. The Arri Alexa allows for a wide color gamut and often times gets underexposed for the simple reason the DOPs and directors are used to looking at flat Log color spaces from earlier digital cameras.

All this being said .. it is possible.its just bad jusgement.

While not nearly as flexible ... and certainly not as economical ... shooting on film had its benefits ... such as predictable picture and color grading.

Im.sure things will even out un the near future .. currently things are looking pretty dark.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Believe it or not SOME of it is due to extremely talented DOPs still adapting to the world of HDR.

The advent of digital camera brought a world if flexability, but also required new ways of thinking about color space. The Arri Alexa allows for a wide color gamut and often times gets underexposed for the simple reason the DOPs and directors are used to looking at flat Log color spaces from earlier digital cameras.

All this being said .. it is possible.its just bad jusgement.

While not nearly as flexible ... and certainly not as economical ... shooting on film had its benefits ... such as predictable picture and color grading.

Im.sure things will even out un the near future .. currently things are looking pretty dark.

Wow, fantastic post and explanation.  Makes a lot of sense.  Thanks, Dunnie.

The one example that my wife and I always use to illustrate the darkness is Mudbound on Netflix.  Literally, we could not see the movie no matter how much we adjusted our TV settings.  Just gave up.

Speaking of cinematographers, watched Out of Africa again yesterday.  The late great David Watkin shot some of the most gorgeous film ever.  Just stunning.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Tom Holland looks like a child

If they were going to do an Uncharted movie then they should’ve cast Nathan Fillion 10 years ago.

As someone who's never played the games and doesn't know the characters, I think Brendan Fraser would be a good fit. Might just be because I miss the mummy movies he made though lol.

7 hours ago, Nolder said:

As someone who's never played the games and doesn't know the characters, I think Brendan Fraser would be a good fit. Might just be because I miss the mummy movies he made though lol.

Isn't he like 300 lbs and bald now?

FPqRt5dWYAEC_NG.jpg

• Haha 3

On 4/23/2022 at 9:11 AM, munchmemory said:

Have you seen "Zola"? Colman Domingo is amazing in that film.

• Sympathy 1