Movies We've Seen Thread

T0mShane

14 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

True. IMAX is the only way to make Tom Cruise look like a regular sized guy.

RLLOL!  I watched a few minutes of the original on TV yesterday.  First thing my wife says is, "wow, Cruise looks really short in that flight suit".   I had to concur.

Also, the scene in the bar where they sing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" is about as big a douche chill inducing as possible. Overall, outside of Tom Skerritt who can do no wrong in my book, the acting is atrocious.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

RLLOL!  I watched a few minutes of the original on TV yesterday.  First thing my wife says is, "wow, Cruise looks really short in that flight suit".   I had to concur.

Also, the scene in the bar where they sing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" is about as big a douche chill inducing as possible. Overall, outside of Tom Skerritt who can do no wrong in my book, the acting is atrocious.

Most of those movies in that era were. Yet I can't stop watching sometimes. His movie Cocktail is an absolute train wreck in most regards... talk about douche chills... yet I still enjoy it somehow.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Most of those movies in that era were. Yet I can't stop watching sometimes. His movie Cocktail is an absolute train wreck in most regards... talk about douche chills... yet I still enjoy it somehow.

Totally.  Why do I love that flick, too?  Maybe Elisabeth Shue's smile.  Even with the silly perm.  Always had a crush on her.

• Upvote 2

The original Top Gun is cheesy, formulaic, ridiculous and yet great.

It's eminently quotable, cliche and yet you can't help but enjoy it.

Just saw the sequel. Can't say it was as enjoyable as the first, but certainly solid.

Most importantly, the flight scenes are great and Maverick is still Maverick.

It's gotten a lot of hype out there, and I honestly think that hurts it a bit. Don't go in expecting too much. Just be like "Yea, I wanna see Maverick break some rules and some great fighter jet action" and you'll be happy. 

On 5/27/2022 at 1:26 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Top Gun in IMAX was remarkable. Anyone who waits for it on VOD is missing out.

I got a real nice set up with my LG OLED C1.  I’m still torn about seeing it in IMAX though.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:26 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Top Gun in IMAX was remarkable. Anyone who waits for it on VOD is missing out.

We watched the original today with the kids before seeing it tomorrow.  

Question: I saw Dune several times in the theater,  IMAX and Dolby, and I actually liked it better in the Dolby Atmos theater. The sound was insane , incredibly powerful and immersive, and the screen was plenty big.

You watch a lot of movies as well, what's your recommendation? 

Thanks!

On 5/27/2022 at 1:36 PM, munchmemory said:

Totally.  Why do I love that flick, too?  Maybe Elisabeth Shue's smile.  Even with the silly perm.  Always had a crush on her.

Loved her in The Saint. She looks a lot like my ex....

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

We watched the original today with the kids before seeing it tomorrow.  

Question: I saw Dune several times in the theater,  IMAX and Dolby, and I actually liked it better in the Dolby Atmos theater. The sound was insane , incredibly powerful and immersive, and the screen was plenty big.

You watch a lot of movies as well, what's your recommendation? 

Thanks!

I saw Dune both ways and liked IMAX more but I have a buddy that was of the same opinion as you on Dolby. I don’t think you can really go wrong either way with Top Gun but dead center in an IMAX theater for it was something else. There are so many scenes where you’re right in the cockpit and it’s a unique experience. I may have to go see it again because there is no way in hell it’ll be the same from home.

• Post of the Week 1

22 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I got a real nice set up with my LG OLED C1.  I’m still torn about seeing it in IMAX though.

Theater at bare minimum is mandatory. It’s like when people with a great home theater setup say Interstellar is great on it. Yeah, but not really. When a movie like that is shot for a specific format I’ve always been a big believer that you have to go see it that way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I saw Dune both ways and liked IMAX more but I have a buddy that was of the same opinion as you on Dolby. I don’t think you can really go wrong either way with Top Gun but dead center in an IMAX theater for it was something else. There are so many scenes where you’re right in the cockpit and it’s a unique experience. I may have to go see it again because there is no way in hell it’ll be the same from home.

Thanks! Appreciate the advice!

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Theater at bare minimum is mandatory. It’s like when people with a great home theater setup say Interstellar is great on it. Yeah, but not really. When a movie like that is shot for a specific format I’ve always been a big believer that you have to go see it that way. 

I missed Interstellar in the theater. I still kick myself. That's one that must have been incredible in either IMAX or Dolby. 

Still one of my favorite movies, despite its "flaws", TARS and CASE are the best 'Robot' characters ever portrayed. 

• Upvote 2

My goodness please go watch Top Gun Maverick in theatres it’s amazing. My fiancé who doesn’t care for action movies and never saw the first one was astounded. 

It’s way better than the first one. It’s a good damn movie.

• Upvote 3

On 5/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, munchmemory said:

Her performance in Leaving Las Vegas was fantastic.  Plus, could she be any hotter in that flick?  Geez, she's gorgeous.

She's currently in The Boys.  Amazon original series about the secret life of super heroes.

Yes, she still looks great. 

Btw, The Boys is a pretty sick alternate take on the super hero genre. 

I enjoyed the first two seasons. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, kdels62 said:

My goodness please go watch Top Gun Maverick in theatres it’s amazing. My fiancé who doesn’t care for action movies and never saw the first one was astounded. 

It’s way better than the first one. It’s a good damn movie.

I saw the first one in the theater when it came out.  I was probably 10-12 years old.

Back then we would pay for one movie then hop into other theaters to see everything we could. 

I remember we watched Top Gun, then jumped into Karate Kid and then watched Top Gun again it was so good.  

I didn't have much interest in seeing it, but after this recommendation maybe I'll take my kid this afternoon. 

*edit

It's crazy how the last few pages have come full circle.  Top Gun, Elizabeth Shue, Cocktail, the new Top Gun.

I just remembered she was in Karate Kid, which I saw the same day as Top Gun.

Yes, I'm high right now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

She's currently in The Boys.  Amazon original series about the secret life of super heroes.

Yes, she still looks great. 

Btw, The Boys is a pretty sick alternate take on the super hero genre. 

I enjoyed the first two seasons. 

I started the series a while back but stopped watching for some reason.  Guess I need to revisit.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I fell in love with her in the Babysitter movie way back when. 

Adventures in Babysitting.   Cute flick.   Yeah, first time I would have seen her, too.  She just has that face and smile which makes you swoon.  

718iXfn73VL._SY606_.jpg

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Loved the series.  Last movie was a mess.  So thanks for your comment.  Now I'll look forward to it.

Yeah the first movie was pretty bad but this one was surprisingly good! 

• Upvote 1

Jesus Christ, the New Top Gun movie is ******* great!

Saw it I'm Dolby Atmos. Incredible. 

Helps if you're familiar with the First movie, but is a great time at the theater either way. 

It turned a silly, bombastic 80s movie about Fighter Jocks into perfect entertainment.  

• Upvote 2

I just watched Wanted: Dead or Alive the series that Steve McQueen played a bounty hunter and had the coolest gun that was made into a toy gun that we all wanted as kids. What struck me about the show was I said hey wait a minute that Leonardo DiCaprio as Rick Dalton in Bounty Law, the fictitious TV on NBC  and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. If you have Starz-give it a whirl because they are now showing the original episodes there.

On 5/30/2022 at 11:48 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I saw the first one in the theater when it came out.  I was probably 10-12 years old.

Back then we would pay for one movie then hop into other theaters to see everything we could. 

I remember we watched Top Gun, then jumped into Karate Kid and then watched Top Gun again it was so good.  

I didn't have much interest in seeing it, but after this recommendation maybe I'll take my kid this afternoon. 

*edit

It's crazy how the last few pages have come full circle.  Top Gun, Elizabeth Shue, Cocktail, the new Top Gun.

I just remembered she was in Karate Kid, which I saw the same day as Top Gun.

Yes, I'm high right now. 

Don't forget Back to the Future!

On 5/30/2022 at 4:37 PM, munchmemory said:

I'm a bit bummed that Lily James isn't in it.   She is just a doll.

MV5BY2FjMTc1ODctNzI5Mi00ZDkwLWE1NWQtZTc3

Did you watch Pam and Tommy? She played a hotter Pam than Pam did.

PS. Also high. But fact remaims.

• Upvote 1