Movies We've Seen Thread

On 5/30/2022 at 12:24 PM, munchmemory said:

Adventures in Babysitting.   Cute flick.   Yeah, first time I would have seen her, too.  She just has that face and smile which makes you swoon.  

718iXfn73VL._SY606_.jpg

Might be weird but this was one of my favorite movies growing up. I've seen it several times. Top 10 movie from when I was a kid for sure.

• Upvote 2

So we have a split decison in my house on Hustle.

e38712aa0a25493f2a0084381259.200.jpg

I love basketball. I love Sandler.  I loved this movie. I loved all the current and former NBA stars in it. I enjoyed every second of it and I probably will watch it more than once more.

Mrs. Dcat: "utterly predictable (true to the last drop), campy beyond expectation (true), limited character development (true), boring (yeah... well it's sports so that's always boring to her).  Her summation.  "It really sucked".  Well she be wrong.

7 hours ago, Nolder said:

Spiderhead was pretty good.

Not amazing or anything but definitely worth your time.

Watched it last night.  Started out so well, with an interesting story and concept.  IMO, they lost it in the second act.  Also, really cliche/dumb/confusing ending.   The flick left me disappointed.

15 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Watched it last night.  Started out so well, with an interesting story and concept.  IMO, they lost it in the second act.  Also, really cliche/dumb/confusing ending.   The flick left me disappointed.

Yeah the ending didn't fit the rest of the movie.

It's like they gave up and decided to just make fun of the seriousness they started with.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2022 at 3:25 AM, Nolder said:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was awful.

I think the only way someone could like it is if they’re a huge fan of old school Sam Raimi. I thought there were a ton of Evil Dead and Darkman moments littered throughout so I enjoyed it a lot, but if you haven’t fawned over Bruce Campbell at least once in your life I can see how it comes across as terrible. Evil Dead is this trilogy where you either think it’s the greatest sh*t ever filmed or you just can’t get into it and there’s no in between. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think the only way someone could like it is if they’re a huge fan of old school Sam Raimi. I thought there were a ton of Evil Dead and Darkman moments littered throughout so I enjoyed it a lot, but if you haven’t fawned over Bruce Campbell at least once in your life I can see how it comes across as terrible. Evil Dead is this trilogy where you either think it’s the greatest sh*t ever filmed or you just can’t get into it and there’s no in between. 

I'm only vaguely aware of Evil Dead, never seen it. 

Although considering what you said there's probably a reason for that.

I probably fall in the second camp.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Imo, the Evil Dead Trilogy starts off good and then spirals down getting worse as it goes.  

I haven't seen them in a very long time, but I remember part one being a traditional horror film with "Raimi" scattered through it, but Army of Darkness turned into full on over the top camp.  I don't think I saw part three. 

For me (class of 91), Evil Dead was the horror movie you rented for the Saturday night movie with your high school girlfriend.   

There was no mistaking who directed Dr Strange.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Imo, the Evil Dead Trilogy starts off good and then spirals down getting worse as it goes.  

I haven't seen them in a very long time, but I remember part one being a traditional horror film with "Raimi" scattered through it, but Army of Darkness turned into full on over the top camp.  I don't think I saw part three. 

For me (class of 91), Evil Dead was the horror movie you rented for the Saturday night movie with your high school girlfriend.   

Army of darkness is part 3.

I made my kids watch them all a few months ago.  They actually really liked them, just good fun, quick 90 minute movies.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Evil Dead II > The Godfather 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I watched Dr Strange last night and thought it was pretty good but I didn't know Sam Raimi directed it until the end credits and it all made sense. Not the biggest fan ever but I like his work. 

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

I watched Dr Strange last night and thought it was pretty good but I didn't know Sam Raimi directed it until the end credits and it all made sense. Not the biggest fan ever but I like his work. 

The post-credits scene where Campbell looked at his hand and said it’s finally over was the best shout-out ever. I feel like Raimi took on the movie just to make an homage to himself disguised as a Marvel movie and that’s the most Sam Raimi thing ever. I love it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Please refer to him as Ash. Bruce Campbell was in Burn Notice, Ash was not. Thanks. 

• Haha 1

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I'm still drinking the MCU Kool Aid and I enjoyed Multiverse of Madness. The Raimi element definitely made it a stylistically unique entry into the MCU. Wrapping up Wanda's story acr from Wandavision was cool. I also geeked out at the Illuminati scene.

I think the biggest issue with the MCU right now is that it is missing the over arching "Infinity War" arc that made the first 10 years of movies so enjoyable. Right now they are trying to introduce a lot of lesser known charcters without a Thanos level threat looming over everything. 

There are a lot of rumors that Secret Wars is coming (we shall see) but I think they need to nail the Fantastic Four and start introducing mutants soon or the box office numbers are going to start to dwindle. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I'm still drinking the MCU Kool Aid and I enjoyed Multiverse of Madness. The Raimi element definitely made it a stylistically unique entry into the MCU. Wrapping up Wanda's story acr from Wandavision was cool. I also geeked out at the Illuminati scene.

I think the biggest issue with the MCU right now is that it is missing the over arching "Infinity War" arc that made the first 10 years of movies so enjoyable. Right now they are trying to introduce a lot of lesser known charcters without a Thanos level threat looming over everything. 

There are a lot of rumors that Secret Wars is coming (we shall see) but I think they need to nail the Fantastic Four and start introducing mutants soon or the box office numbers are going to start to dwindle. 

They seem a bit all over the place right now. 
I thought Kang was going to be the next big bad guy.  Maybe Dr Doom is somehow tied to all this juggling? 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

They seem a bit all over the place right now. 
I thought Kang was going to be the next big bad guy.  Maybe Dr Doom is somehow tied to all this juggling? 

We actually had our first confirmed Dr. Doom reference. 

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1228256-doctor-strange-2-producer-confirms-doctor-doom-reference-in-multiverse-of-madness

• Upvote 1

Watched Adam Sandler's Hustle last night on Netflix.   A little cliche like most sports movies, but a ton of fun.   The movie moves briskly and the scenes on the court are shot/edited beautifully.  Lots of real NBA players and coaches appear in the flick.  Sandler is very good in the role of a scout for the Sixers. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Watched Adam Sandler's Hustle last night on Netflix.   A little cliche like most sports movies, but a ton of fun.   The movie moves briskly and the scenes on the court are shot/edited beautifully.  Lots of real NBA players and coaches appear in the flick.  Sandler is very good in the role of a scout for the Sixers. 

Yeah I agree... my post here is a few weeks back and Sandler was good demonstrating the highs and lows of scouting, mostly lows.  Plus I really loved seeing all the past and present NBA stars. Campy and predictable to the nth degree, but that's fine with me on this one.  Well done.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yeah I agree... my post here is a few weeks back and Sandler was good demonstrating the highs and lows of scouting, mostly lows.  Plus I really loved seeing all the past and present NBA stars. Campy and predictable to the nth degree, but that's fine with me on this one.  Well done.  

All they omitted was the "Rudy clap/chant".  lol  Very goofy in spots, but it won us over pretty quickly.  Sandler is so much better in more dramatic roles.