Movies We've Seen Thread

Thor Love and Thunder. 

Awful…..really really bad. I’m a HUGE MCU guy and this is pretty close to being the worst MCU movie.  

I honestly kept checking my watch to see how much time was left before I could leave. 

The subtle comic element that made Ragnarok so good was way over the top and buffoonish.  

Wait for this to stream for free on Disney +. 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Thor Love and Thunder. 

Awful…..really really bad. I’m a HUGE MCU guy and this is pretty close to being the worst MCU movie.  

I honestly kept checking my watch to see how much time was left before I could leave. 

The subtle comic element that made Ragnarok so good was way over the top and buffoonish.  

Uh oh. 

Is the Marvel formula jumping the shark?  They better get the Fantastic Four and X-Men rolling fast. 

I remember the comics growing up.  Spidey and Thing were always cracking wise.  Everyone else were serious.  

They turned every character in the universe into comic relief in the movies. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Uh oh. 

Is the Marvel formula jumping the shark?  They better get the Fantastic Four and X-Men rolling fast. 

I remember the comics growing up.  Spidey and Thing were always cracking wise.  Everyone else were serious.  

They turned every character in the universe into comic relief in the movies. 

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I'm getting sick of Marvel.

This is from a guy that collected from age 4 until I got a driver's license.  I had thousands of comics and would do chores around the house for dimes to get enough money for the Thursday releases. 

I still loved the Spiderman movie, but every other film after Endgame has stunk.  What was the point of the Master of Kung Fu or Eternals?  They should've just stalled until they could get more of the big names ready.  

Fantastic Four done right could be the greatest sci-fi series ever.  X-Men and Namor.  Start a Galactus or Dr Doom saga.  

As for the shows:

I liked the Wanda show, but was disappointed with the payoff.  

Falcon and Winter Solider sucked.

Loki was really good. 

Hawkeye sucked.

Moon Knight started off great, but ended up sucking.

Ms Marvel started off great (reminded me of Spiderman), but now I've lost interest.  

She-Hulk looks good to me.  I didn't like her in the Avengers as a kid, but when she took over for Thing in the FF, I became a fan. 

• Post of the Week 2

15 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Thor Love and Thunder. 

I actually didn't really like that about Ragnarok either.

Actually, come to think of it, of the entire MCU Thor has been my biggest disappointment.

My favorite movie in the entire MCU was the first Thor but every one after that has just...not been what I wanted or expected.

To be fair this comes from the point of view of someone who's never read the comics and is only aware of the most basic things about Marvel characters and storylines so idk maybe that plays into it.

I like Thor a lot Chris Hemsworth is great but I haven't like the Thor films at all and it looks like I'm just in for another disappointment.

I enjoyed Love and Thunder and I thought it was the second best Thor movie. I expected non stop jokes based upon what a lot of people were saying, but after the opening scene with the Guardians I didn't think it was that over the top. My biggest problem with the movie is that they completely wasted an opportunity with Bale as Gorr. Great opening scene with Gorr, but he is barely in the movie after that. I think the editing really did this movie a disservice and I would like to see a director's cut (even though I doubt it will ever see the light of day). 

The over arching problem is that they are really spending too much time making the movies kid friendly and woke. The 2 references to same sex relationships were completely gratuitous and added nothing to the movie and Gorr really doesn't do a lot of butchering. 

That being said, I thought they handled the Thor-Jane Foster relationship very well and wrapped up that storyline as well as could be expected. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I enjoyed Love and Thunder and I thought it was the second best Thor movie. I expected non stop jokes based upon what a lot of people were saying, but after the opening scene with the Guardians I didn't think it was that over the top. My biggest problem with the movie is that they completely wasted an opportunity with Bale as Gorr. Great opening scene with Gorr, but he is barely in the movie after that. I think the editing really did this movie a disservice and I would like to see a director's cut (even though I doubt it will ever see the light of day). 

The over arching problem is that they are really spending too much time making the movies kid friendly and woke. The 2 references to same sex relationships were completely gratuitous and added nothing to the movie and Gorr really doesn't do a lot of butchering. 

That being said, I thought they handled the Thor-Jane Foster relationship very well and wrapped up that storyline as well as could be expected. 

I liked it as well.   I thought they handled Jane as well as could possibly be done, I actually really liked how she got the hammer, what she was going through, and what was going on with her and Thor.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2022 at 6:58 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I'm getting sick of Marvel.

This is from a guy that collected from age 4 until I got a driver's license.  I had thousands of comics and would do chores around the house for dimes to get enough money for the Thursday releases. 

I still loved the Spiderman movie, but every other film after Endgame has stunk.  What was the point of the Master of Kung Fu or Eternals?  They should've just stalled until they could get more of the big names ready.  

Fantastic Four done right could be the greatest sci-fi series ever.  X-Men and Namor.  Start a Galactus or Dr Doom saga.  

As for the shows:

I liked the Wanda show, but was disappointed with the payoff.  

Falcon and Winter Solider sucked.

Loki was really good. 

Hawkeye sucked.

Moon Knight started off great, but ended up sucking.

Ms Marvel started off great (reminded me of Spiderman), but now I've lost interest.  

She-Hulk looks good to me.  I didn't like her in the Avengers as a kid, but when she took over for Thing in the FF, I became a fan. 

Doom is coming. I think the success of Black Panther changed everything and made them want to focus on international success and theme park attractions rather than satisfying middle aged dudes. We were the target in Phase 1 but not anymore. I couldn’t even make it through Shang Chi but it’s hard to ignore that it pulled in half a billion dollars during the heart of the pandemic. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Doom is coming. I think the success of Black Panther changed everything and made them want to focus on international success and theme park attractions rather than satisfying middle aged dudes. We were the target in Phase 1 but not anymore. I couldn’t even make it through Shang Chi but it’s hard to ignore that it pulled in half a billion dollars during the heart of the pandemic. 

Michael Bay made multiple transformer movies that grossed a billion, and they took in 4.8 billion total, plus toys and games.

I keep thinking they're about done, but they keep making money.   That being said, even my kids don't care after the next Guardians movie.

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

Michael Bay made multiple transformer movies that grossed a billion, and they took in 4.8 billion total, plus toys and games.

I keep thinking they're about done, but they keep making money.   That being said, even my kids don't care after the next Guardians movie.

Just wait until you see what's about to happen with Encanto the next few years.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how they did it but whoever made the absolute dumpster fire that is Jurassic World Dominion they actually made me dislike a movie with dinosaurs in it. I mean literally "a movie with dinosaurs in it" prints money how is this even possible? And they had most of the old cast back and the "world" has opened up that they could show a T Rex just tearing apart the Eifel Tower or something because why not and still they managed to fumble.

I would rather marathon Star Wars VII VIII and IX all in a row and then again in 3D just so my eyes can bleed before watching Jurassic Park Dominion again.

What an absolute shame. 

On 7/9/2022 at 7:25 AM, IndianaJet said:

Thor Love and Thunder. 

I think it was ok.  I totally agree with waiting for it on Disney+.

I saw a review of the movie that I think bests describes the comic part of it.  The reviewer thought the first half of the movie seemed to be a parody of a super hero movie.  Something along the lines of the Scary Movie franchise.

I thought Christian Bale raised a D movie to a solid C maybe C+.  While I thought the second half of the movie was better, it did open a huge plot hole/consistency for every Marvel movie involving Thor prior to this one.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I think it was ok.  I totally agree with waiting for it on Disney+.

I saw a review of the movie that I think bests describes the comic part of it.  The reviewer thought the first half of the movie seemed to be a parody of a super hero movie.  Something along the lines of the Scary Movie franchise.

I thought Christian Bale raised a D movie to a solid C maybe C+.  While I thought the second half of the movie was better, it did open a huge plot hole/consistency for every Marvel movie involving Thor prior to this one.

What was the plot hole?

I may have stopped paying attention halfway thru. 

12 hours ago, Nolder said:

D-did they fill it up?

Fortunately, they don’t show that, but they park it next to the pump. The characters are “woke millennials” and I don’t even want to get into the rest because that’s how bad it is haha

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Fortunately, they don’t show that, but they park it next to the pump. The characters are “woke millennials” and I don’t even want to get into the rest because that’s how bad it is haha

Have you seen the Australian show Why Are You Like This? I can't tell if it's a comedy show or just a documentary about millenials. The whole Tesla thing reminds me of it.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I did not really like the first Black Panther but this….this has got me hyped…

I thought the first Black Panther was pretty good. This one looks like it's all over the place. I'm not expecting it to be good but I'll probably check it out. Based on Marvel's recent films/shows I wont be holding my breath.

Sat through The Gray Man last night.   Mainly because my wife's various "film husbands" star in the flick, Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans and Regé-Jean Page.  At least I got to look at Ana de Armas, who is adorable.

As for the story/movie?  It's about as cliche as they get.  Just non-stop fighting, shoot 'em ups, car chases as well as general destruction of property and anything else you could imagine.  Not sure what the Russo Brothers were thinking.   For me, I was bored and consider the film a dud.

Saw Thor: Love and Thunder.

Not as good as Ragnarok.

Better than Thor and Thor Dark World.

It tried to replicate the easy humour of Ragnarok, and failed.

Bad guy came and went too fast (as usual for Marvel films, the baddies have no time for any character development at all).  Bale was a boss tho, great job on his part.

The Girrrrl Power agenda was on full steam ahead, as was the "lets have lots of gayness, gay gay gay!" stuff as well, so that'll likely turn off some folks (those who regularly use the word "woke" as a pejorative will not enjoy that aspect).

Still, fun time, good way to pass a very hot, very humid afternoon.  Had some laughs, was good enough.

Honestly, I'm most excited to see the next Thor film if it's involving the mid-credit scene reveal.  Totally ftw.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

D&D movies have sooooooo bad historically.  

But my inner 10 year old nerd says "hope, hope never dies".

Will definitely go see this.

Same. They always make them incredibly cheesy. This one looks like it's walking that line but I'm really hoping it stays on the right side and stays good fun instead of ultra campy.

• Upvote 1

Nope is Spielberg’s War of the Worlds meets Tremors. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gives you a lot to think about and the last 30 minutes or so provide quite a spectacle. If you think you want to see it, theater is mandatory. This will not be the same movie on your home TV. The side story with the chimp was a really nice Alan Moore-esque touch as well.

It’s not the same level of film as Us or Get Out, but every Hitchcock movie isn’t a grand slam either. I’d say Nope is a solid RBI double.

And Daniel Kaluyaa is right up there with the best in the business at this point. I’ll go see anything he’s in now. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

Saw Thor: Love and Thunder.

Not as good as Ragnarok.

Better than Thor and Thor Dark World.

It tried to replicate the easy humour of Ragnarok, and failed.

Bad guy came and went too fast (as usual for Marvel films, the baddies have no time for any character development at all).  Bale was a boss tho, great job on his part.

The Girrrrl Power agenda was on full steam ahead, as was the "lets have lots of gayness, gay gay gay!" stuff as well, so that'll likely turn off some folks (those who regularly use the word "woke" as a pejorative will not enjoy that aspect).

Still, fun time, good way to pass a very hot, very humid afternoon.  Had some laughs, was good enough.

Honestly, I'm most excited to see the next Thor film if it's involving the mid-credit scene reveal.  Totally ftw.

This is literally how I felt about the film as well. And I think we can say it was Hercules in the mid credit scene at this point (although I've never watched Ted Lasso and I'm not familiar with the actor).