Movies We've Seen Thread

12 hours ago, Nolder said:

Same. They always make them incredibly cheesy. This one looks like it's walking that line but I'm really hoping it stays on the right side and stays good fun instead of ultra campy.

I played D&D as a kid, but this movie looks like utter dog sh!t to me. I still think the cartoon D&D from the 80s has been my favorite version. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

This is literally how I felt about the film as well. And I think we can say it was Hercules in the mid credit scene at this point (although I've never watched Ted Lasso and I'm not familiar with the actor). 

I would highly recommend Ted Lasso.  It's a brilliant show IMO.  And Brett G. is damn funny in it IMO.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Nope is Spielberg’s War of the Worlds meets Tremors. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gives you a lot to think about and the last 30 minutes or so provide quite a spectacle. If you think you want to see it, theater is mandatory. This will not be the same movie on your home TV. The side story with the chimp was a really nice Alan Moore-esque touch as well.

It’s not the same level of film as Us or Get Out, but every Hitchcock movie isn’t a grand slam either. I’d say Nope is a solid RBI double.

And Daniel Kaluyaa is right up there with the best in the business at this point. I’ll go see anything he’s in now. 

Haven't we already established that your tiny little TV is not representative of the rest of our home theater systems?

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I would highly recommend Ted Lasso.  It's a brilliant show IMO.  And Brett G. is damn funny in it IMO.  

I find his voice to be like nails on a chalk board. Just speak up. He's going to have a hard time keeping up with Hemsworth's charisma.

13 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I find his voice to be like nails on a chalk board. Just speak up. He's going to have a hard time keeping up with Hemsworth's charisma.

To each their own, I found him hilarious in that show.  I'd say his charisma might be a bit more like the comic characters charisma, the pairing was always an entertaining one in the books.  But who knows, Brett G. definitely wasn't the first name that came to my mind for Herc.  But I think he'll do well.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Haven't we already established that your tiny little TV is not representative of the rest of our home theater systems?

I think it depends. You can get away with home viewing a lot of stuff and not lose out on the intentions of the director if you have a proper setup (ie 65 inch screen or projector). Small handful of movies every year though, no chance. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Nope is Spielberg’s War of the Worlds meets Tremors. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gives you a lot to think about and the last 30 minutes or so provide quite a spectacle. If you think you want to see it, theater is mandatory. This will not be the same movie on your home TV. The side story with the chimp was a really nice Alan Moore-esque touch as well.

It’s not the same level of film as Us or Get Out, but every Hitchcock movie isn’t a grand slam either. I’d say Nope is a solid RBI double.

And Daniel Kaluyaa is right up there with the best in the business at this point. I’ll go see anything he’s in now. 

My favorite movie is Tremors. You're setting a very high bar now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:07 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

The post-credits scene where Campbell looked at his hand and said it’s finally over was the best shout-out ever. I feel like Raimi took on the movie just to make an homage to himself disguised as a Marvel movie and that’s the most Sam Raimi thing ever. I love it.

This.

I love the Evil Dead stuff, but DS was complete sh*t. Most powerful witch and sorcerers across multiple realities and all they do is shoot burst from their hands… and not act like either character has been developed across several other films/shows.

Rami had his moment.

His Spidey and now this are all trash.

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I was mad at Thor, I asked for extra butter, and I got no butter.

@The Crusher understands, I'm sure.

I still need my butter fix.  I'm thinking another movie day wouldn't be bad, so I might still grab it in theatres.

I only get to go to the theatre for kid movies, usually. Totally with you on the popcorn.

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:09 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I actually was a big fan of the Tom Cruise War of the World flick, especially the first half or so. 

The second half (the basement scene, most scenes with the son character, and the "oops, it's over now" sudden ending were pretty crap tbqh).

The first quarter was brilliant, loved the effects, the tripods, etc., the scene of the flaming train, the boat, etc.  

So if Nope has some of that vibe, I might be quite interested then.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I actually was a big fan of the Tom Cruise War of the World flick, especially the first half or so. 

The second half (the basement scene, most scenes with the son character, and the "oops, it's over now" sudden ending were pretty crap tbqh).

The first quarter was brilliant, loved the effects, the tripods, etc., the scene of the flaming train, the boat, etc.  

So if Nope has some of that vibe, I might be quite interested then.

I love Spielberg’s War and think it’s one of his most underrated productions. Nope has a lot of that in it along with a bunch of his other stuff, Close Encounters, Jaws…etc. Most of the flick is Peele taking his shot at making a black Spielberg movie which he’s admitted himself. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Battle of the Pinocchio's this fall...my money is on Del Toro

September Disney+:

Theaters in November, Netflix in December:

The Disney one looks AMAZING...except for that nightmare fuel blue fairy. I don't understand why they couldn't just cast a normal looking beautiful black woman if they felt the need to do so. Why does she have to be bald? I wont be seeing either of these.

On 7/25/2022 at 12:33 PM, munchmemory said:

Sat through The Gray Man last night.   Mainly because my wife's various "film husbands" star in the flick, Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans and Regé-Jean Page.  At least I got to look at Ana de Armas, who is adorable.

As for the story/movie?  It's about as cliche as they get.  Just non-stop fighting, shoot 'em ups, car chases as well as general destruction of property and anything else you could imagine.  Not sure what the Russo Brothers were thinking.   For me, I was bored and consider the film a dud.

We're usually on the same page, but we're not even close on this one.

1) I thought it was a very enjoyable watch. Everything you want in an action flick. I had fun.

2) Ana DeArmas is adorable? Talk about underexageration of the decade. I would slowly lick her out of existence. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

We're usually on the same page, but we're not even close on this one.

1) I thought it was a very enjoyable watch. Everything you want in an action flick. I had fun.

2) Ana DeArmas is adorable? Talk about underexageration of the decade. I would slowly lick her out of existence. 

For once, I was trying to be measured in my description.   I could spend a week extolling Ana's sexiness.  Her body is fantastic, but it's her face that does it.  Just so beautiful.

The flick was okay.  It's just that it was a tad over the top (especially Evans character) and that I've seen so many of the scenes before.  At one point, I felt like I was watching a lower grade Bourne movie.

42 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

For once, I was trying to be measured in my description.   I could spend a week extolling Ana's sexiness.  Her body is fantastic, but it's her face that does it.  Just so beautiful.

The flick was okay.  It's just that it was a tad over the top (especially Evans character) and that I've seen so many of the scenes before.  At one point, I felt like I was watching a lower grade Bourne movie.

I was shocked by how much I enjoyed Gosling's role. I've always found him to be a bore. Had to laugh when Evans' character called him a Ken doll, when he is literally filming to be Ken to Margot Robbie's Barbie movie.

• Upvote 2

On 7/23/2022 at 8:55 PM, IndianaJet said:

I did not really like the first Black Panther but this….this has got me hyped…

I liked Black Panther, but not as much as most of the world did.

I LOVED Boseman's portrayal of the character though and was looking forward to where he took it. 

It's going to be hard to replace him and the interest in part two is slightly lacking without him.  

It's like Iron Man starring Pepper. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:51 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I think it depends. You can get away with home viewing a lot of stuff and not lose out on the intentions of the director if you have a proper setup (ie 65 inch screen or projector). Small handful of movies every year though, no chance. 

Agreed.

I have a 70 inch setup with DTS surround.

It's great for sports, but the big time action shows need to be seen on imax.  

Second viewing can be watched at home. 

• Upvote 1

I'm beginning to think I will not enjoy anything ever again.  lol  After another family recommendation, watched Everything Everywhere All at Once last night.  At least for me, this is a top five worst movie I've ever seen.  Absolute train wreck.  And I knew it 10-15 minutes into the flick.   All this coming from a person who loves Michelle Yeoh and her work.

• Upvote 1

Watched Ron Howard's The Thirteen last night.  Overall, I thought the film was very good.  My only criticism is that I felt it lacked a bit of the necessary emotion.   Felt it was a bit cold and by the book.

If he's seen the flick, would love to know what @Jet_Engine1 thinks about the diving scenes.  That operation had to be one of the most harrowing experiences even for those top level divers.  Those guys are true heroes to have saved the kids.

• Upvote 2

On 7/30/2022 at 5:09 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I liked Black Panther, but not as much as most of the world did.

I LOVED Boseman's portrayal of the character though and was looking forward to where he took it. 

It's going to be hard to replace him and the interest in part two is slightly lacking without him.  

It's like Iron Man starring Pepper. 

I'm in the minority, but I thought they should have recast T'Challa. Boseman was great in the role, but it just feels weird having a BP movie without T'Challa. That being said ..... we got Namor!

• Upvote 1

I watched Prey on Hulu last night and I really enjoyed it. Its arguably the second best Predator movie after the original and having the setting with the Comanche really added a fresh take to the franchise that was really badly needed. For a TV movie, there were some really beautiful shots. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I watched Prey on Hulu last night and I really enjoyed it. Its arguably the second best Predator movie after the original and having the setting with the Comanche really added a fresh take to the franchise that was really badly needed. For a TV movie, there were some really beautiful shots. 

Even though we won't get a shot of Arnie lifting up a truck and rolling it down onto Russian operatives, I am so psyched for this movie.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm in the minority, but I thought they should have recast T'Challa. Boseman was great in the role, but it just feels weird having a BP movie without T'Challa. That being said ..... we got Namor!

I haven't read up on it, but I think they will put his sister in the suit.

Marvel is trending towards a lot of female leads and it fits that narrative. 

Always loved Namor!  

• Upvote 1