Jump to content

Movies We've Seen Thread


T0mShane
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/28/2022 at 2:38 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Do you have any other recommendations (HBO, Netflix, Prime)?

If you haven't seen it, The Wretched is on Netflix. I watched it recently and it was pretty good. Creepy but not terrifying, some jumpscares but doesn't overdo it, decent plot, good ending. Highly recommend it if anyone is looking for a solid scary movie to watch. Is it 10/10? No not really but I'd say it's a solid 7/10 imho. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been doing a Halloween month movie thing. Here are some reviews:

1. Possessor—More action/sci-fi than straight horror, but it has enough blood and violence to qualify. Simply fantastic film starring Mandy’s Andrea Riseborough as an assassin who, using near-future tech, inhabits the minds of other people whom she uses to commit murders. Things go bad. Such a smart, compelling, and interesting movie that doesn’t treat the audience like idiot babies. 10/10

2. Spring—I’d seen this on a lot of recommended horror lists over the years and checked it out. Mostly good fun, but turns to sh*t in the third act and could have used a good editor with a chainsaw to hack out all the unnecessary explication and smarmy philosophizing in the last 45 minutes. Really disappointing. 
 

3. X—Saw this in theaters and checked it out again. Very well done retro-camp horror. Similar vibe to the old Sleepaway Camp/Friday the 13th movies. Really enjoyed it. 
 

4. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night—Loved this one. Low-budget indie feel vampire movie set in a small (Middle Eastern?) town (but shot in Cali). Black and white with subtitles. Compelling actors, great cinematography, and a really clever story. Not as much a horror flick as a noir-romance. Good stuff.

5. Day Shift—Jamie Foxx should get a new agent. Fun Dave Franco performance, though. Bad movie. Do not recommend. 
 

6. Ready or Not—Your woman will like this one, but it features a hot Samara Weaving being hunted by a crazy rich family. I enjoyed it. Good fun. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just watching Flash Gordon ..... and despite it being so objectively awful in so many ways, I still love watching it. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with watching the movie since I was a kid, but the soundtrack is great, Brian Blessed is so much fun and the colors and costumes are so over the top that it almost makes it feel like a parody. A guilty pleasure. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, maury77 said:

I was just watching Flash Gordon ..... and despite it being so objectively awful in so many ways, I still love watching it. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with watching the movie since I was a kid, but the soundtrack is great, Brian Blessed is so much fun and the colors and costumes are so over the top that it almost makes it feel like a parody. A guilty pleasure. 

 

When I found out Flash was the Jet's quarterback I was pissed he stayed on Mongo instead of trying to get home and win a Super Bowl. 

He betrayed me and all the Jet fans. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

 

When I found out Flash was the Jet's quarterback I was pissed he stayed on Mongo instead of trying to get home and win a Super Bowl. 

He betrayed me and all the Jet fans. 

We've never recovered, Ming is to blame for all our misery. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw the "Banshees of Inisherin" with the Mrs. this week. Hard to dislike Gleeson and Farrell teaming up off "In Bruges". It's at turns funny and entertaining. But really it's a very dark mediation on depression, despair and lonliness, with a side dish about the pointlessness of war and violence.  Not for everyone. Though in a time of superhero nonsense geared to 12 year olds, nice to see a movie with adult characters and dialogue. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2022 at 5:21 AM, Nolder said:

Watched Barbarian. Wow. I was not expecting that. Any of it.

We watched it last night based on the comments in here and yep, totally not what I thought I was getting into.  I thought it was going to be like more of a realistic horror about being double booked w/ a psycho which would have been cool, went kind of a lame route IMO and turned into more of a comedy than a horror flick but it was entertaining nonetheless.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

We watched it last night based on the comments in here and yep, totally not what I thought I was getting into.  I thought it was going to be like more of a realistic horror about being double booked w/ a psycho which would have been cool,

100% agree on both counts.

 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

went kind of a lame route IMO and turned into more of a comedy than a horror flick but it was entertaining nonetheless.

Disagree, although I can see where you're coming from. I think I was more shocked from the weirdness than scared. It has zero rewatch value. I'd say that first half of the movie was kind of masterful until the reveal. I was really tense for like an hour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Nolder said:

100% agree on both counts.

 

Disagree, although I can see where you're coming from. I think I was more shocked from the weirdness than scared. It has zero rewatch value. I'd say that first half of the movie was kind of masterful until the reveal. I was really tense for like an hour.

I agree, the first hour was quite tense and it's because it was going the direction I originally thought and then it became pure humor to me but that's just my take.

A similar type of movie we watched last, You Should Have Left, w/ Kevin Bacon and Amanda Syfried, pretty decent, kind of a similar set up around booking an arb&b but a different twist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I agree, the first hour was quite tense and it's because it was going the direction I originally thought and then it became pure humor to me but that's just my take.

A similar type of movie we watched last, You Should Have Left, w/ Kevin Bacon and Amanda Syfried, pretty decent, kind of a similar set up around booking an arb&b but a different twist. 

I definitely agree the premise of there being a killer was what made it good. Ill definitely check out You Should Have Left though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2022 at 5:21 AM, Nolder said:

Watched Barbarian. Wow. I was not expecting that. Any of it.

So my favorite thing to do the last few weeks is sneak up behind my wife when she's on the coach and start saying "bay-bay-bay-bay-baybay." She's kinda over it but I'm not gonna stop and I'm pretty sure she's gonna get violent soon.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So my favorite thing to do the last few weeks is sneak up behind my wife when she's on the coach and start saying "bay-bay-bay-bay-baybay." She's kinda over it but I'm not gonna stop and I'm pretty sure she's gonna get violent soon.

Not sure if that's funny or horrifying lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Florence Pugh, who does backfill ScarJo as the new Black Widow in the MCU going forward. 

Oh, well ok then. Huh. I had no idea tbh. Even knowing they are different people I'm looking at pics of them and they look like the same person to me. I think ScarJo has a slightly different nose maybe but yeah I'd probably never be able to tell them apart just by looking at them in a movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Oh, well ok then. Huh. I had no idea tbh. Even knowing they are different people I'm looking at pics of them and they look like the same person to me. I think ScarJo has a slightly different nose maybe but yeah I'd probably never be able to tell them apart just by looking at them in a movie.

Blasphemy 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just saw Black Panther 2. I still don't love that they killed off T'Challa instead of recasting him (RIP Chadwick) and at some level that was always going to put a cap on how much I would like the movie; however, it was a good film. The themes of mourning and dealing with loss were very well done and I really enjoyed how they adapted Namor and Atlantis in order to avoid comparisions with Atlantis in the DCEU. Angela Bassett and Tenoch Huerta were both very good as well. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2022 at 1:19 AM, maury77 said:

I just saw Black Panther 2. I still don't love that they killed off T'Challa instead of recasting him (RIP Chadwick) and at some level that was always going to put a cap on how much I would like the movie; however, it was a good film. The themes of mourning and dealing with loss were very well done and I really enjoyed how they adapted Namor and Atlantis in order to avoid comparisions with Atlantis in the DCEU. Angela Bassett and Tenoch Huerta were both very good as well. 

It was ok.  I liked it in that it was entertaining to watch on the big screen w/ some fun scenes and what not but maybe it's just me but Marvel has lost it's fastball.   Havent seen a good Marvel movie in a minute.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...