Movies We've Seen Thread

I have YouTube TV and they have had a preview of HBO and Cinemax until tomorrow. Have you guys seen the movie Mojave? With Oscar Isaac and the kid from Friday Night Lights who play FB and is Tim McGraw's son, Garrett Hedlund?Marky Mark is also in it. I recommend it

Took a couple movies out of the library last week.  First one:

movieposter.jpg

I had already read the book and watched the astoundingly good BBC mini series but I wanted to see it with Gary Oldman in the main roll and a few other good actors I recognized (Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy etc)

This version I would call good but not great like the BBC miniseries was. The mini series basically stuck to the novel pretty faithfully while this movie version made some changes for no good reason at all. It also did not do a great job of the climax. Some really good acting though.

2nd one:

MV5BYjE2OTdhMWUtOGJlMy00ZDViLWIzZjgtYjZk

It was pretty good but not maybe as good as it gets credit for being, it is often listed as one of the top films of all time. Had some very good parts but a few weaknesses. I quite liked the very ending of the film.

19 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

I have YouTube TV 

Mind if I ask why? That seems like such a weird thing to pay for. Does it have good exclusive content?

Also I watched a trailer for Mojave, haven't seen it before but it looks like an ok movie. Probably not something I'd watch on my own though.

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

movieposter.jpg

I had already read the book and watched the astoundingly good BBC mini series but I wanted to see it with Gary Oldman in the main roll and a few other good actors I recognized (Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy etc)

This version I would call good but not great like the BBC miniseries was. The mini series basically stuck to the novel pretty faithfully while this movie version made some changes for no good reason at all. It also did not do a great job of the climax. Some really good acting though.

2nd one:

MV5BYjE2OTdhMWUtOGJlMy00ZDViLWIzZjgtYjZk

It was pretty good but not maybe as good as it gets credit for being, it is often listed as one of the top films of all time. Had some very good parts but a few weaknesses. I quite liked the very ending of the film.

You'd like a Touch of Evil too then Bro. It's the movie that Travolta talks about in Pulp Fiction.  Orson Wellse, had gotten really fat and you can tell the dude was drinking too much eating too much living it hard but man, he could still act

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:12 PM, Beerfish said:

movieposter.jpg

film.

I started up this film three times.  I fell asleep within 40 minutes all 3 times.  It's just not meant to be and I am a huge Oldman fan.

On 11/10/2022 at 4:32 AM, JiFields said:

I agree, the first hour was quite tense and it's because it was going the direction I originally thought and then it became pure humor to me but that's just my take.

A similar type of movie we watched last, You Should Have Left, w/ Kevin Bacon and Amanda Syfried, pretty decent, kind of a similar set up around booking an arb&b but a different twist. 

Finally got around to watching You Should Have Left. It was pretty good. I think it was less tense than Barbarian but it had a better twist and more satisfying ending.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Banshees of Inisherin...I just don't know. I have some weird disconnect with Martin McDonagh movies where I can completely see how they get reviewed the way that they do and also why people love his sh*t, but I just can never get into his stuff. Everyone loves In Bruges and Three Billboards and it just bores me to death and that's how I felt about Banshees. It's probably a great film but like all of McDonagh's stuff, at least for me, it's too much of a slog to get to whatever the ending usually is, of which there really isn't ever one anyways. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:39 PM, Nolder said:

Mind if I ask why? That seems like such a weird thing to pay for. Does it have good exclusive content?

Not compared to Hulu, but there are pros and cons to each, really depends what you are looking for. I almost went with YouTube TV but only Hulu carries SNY where I am. But YouTube has more channels, allows for more simultaneous streams, and is cheaper. 

Hulu's exclusive content is OK, but IMO if you're really putting that much weight into original programming, no live TV streamer is going to hold its own in that department compared to Netflix and HBO, unless you're counting the fact that Hulu comes with Disney (and ESPN).

I did do a free trial of YTV a while ago and it's also worth noting that their app is also way better than Hulu's. 

18 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Banshees of Inisherin...I just don't know. I have some weird disconnect with Martin McDonagh movies where I can completely see how they get reviewed the way that they do and also why people love his sh*t, but I just can never get into his stuff. Everyone loves In Bruges and Three Billboards and it just bores me to death and that's how I felt about Banshees. It's probably a great film but like all of McDonagh's stuff, at least for me, it's too much of a slog to get to whatever the ending usually is, of which there really isn't ever one anyways. 

When I first saw the trailer I couldn't wait to see it. 

I must admit that I really enjoyed the first half of the film, but then it just lost me.  It felt like it was building up to something, but nothing really happened.  If you haven't seen it yet, your description of McDonagh's work is remarkably spot on when describing this film..... like the perfect explanation of how I felt after watching it. 

Barry Keoghan was memorable though. 

On 12/16/2022 at 2:37 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Not compared to Hulu, but there are pros and cons to each, really depends what you are looking for. I almost went with YouTube TV but only Hulu carries SNY where I am. But YouTube has more channels, allows for more simultaneous streams, and is cheaper. 

Hulu's exclusive content is OK, but IMO if you're really putting that much weight into original programming, no live TV streamer is going to hold its own in that department compared to Netflix and HBO, unless you're counting the fact that Hulu comes with Disney (and ESPN).

I did do a free trial of YTV a while ago and it's also worth noting that their app is also way better than Hulu's. 

It sounds like Youtube TV is not at all what I thought it was. 

I thought it was much closer to a premium service for Youtube like Spotify Premium is where you get no ads and other perks on regular videos.

Getting into Westerns a bit lately. I watched High Plains Drifter the other day which doesn’t seem to be highly reviewed but I liked the horror feel I got from it. Then I watched the Wild Bunch which was good but I didn’t really get into the characters. Next up…? I have The Searchers. 

I lived in Durango, MX for a few years which John Wayne, among others, adored.  

I’ve already seen the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and it was ******* great as well as Unforgiven. 

Taking full advantage of the fact that I’m on winter break, just moved, and have no internet for a few more days. Catching up on the classics, and whatever else I have in my library. 

Yesterday was:

The Searchers

Top Gun 2 (rewatch while hanging out with family)

Raging Bull 

—no Xmas movies but was a productive day, Id say. 

2 hours ago, Drums said:

Taking full advantage of the fact that I’m on winter break, just moved, and have no internet for a few more days. Catching up on the classics, and whatever else I have in my library. 

Yesterday was:

The Searchers

Top Gun 2 (rewatch while hanging out with family)

Raging Bull 

—no Xmas movies but was a productive day, Id say. 

I just watched it for the second time and it is still a great, great movie. Best movie I watched last year. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/24/2022 at 11:18 PM, Beerfish said:

Just watched my favorite film of all time again, since it is a Christmas film i watch it every year.

Scrooge, 1951 version with Alistair Sim

That was my Dads favorite.  Ive always liked the George C Scott version better. I love David Warners performance, as well as Roger Rees as Fred. But I know most consider the 1951 version the Standard. 

This was the first Christmas in Years that I didnt watch either. Just wasnt ready yet.....

19 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I loved the first one. I don’t see myself ever watching this one again. Just wasn’t good.

Totally agree. Waste of a good cast. The first one was fantastic, so this was a pretty big letdown. I'll still avoid any specific spoilers, but I found the ending to be both predictable (you can figure out the story about 30 minutes in) and baffling (like, really? That's so dumb)

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Totally agree. Waste of a good cast. The first one was fantastic, so this was a pretty big letdown. I'll still avoid any specific spoilers, but I found the ending to be both predictable (you can figure out the story about 30 minutes in) and baffling (like, really? That's so dumb)

I watched the original again last night and it’s still great. Maybe I’ll try GO again and see if it was just a first watch downer, but I doubt it. 

I don't know why it took me by such surprise considering how much it's been talked about, but I was blindsided by how good The Fablemans was. Whatever stage Spielberg is in of his career, be it the second to last or the epilogue, it's awesome to see him still operating at this level. The last ten years of his stuff have still been great and tbh The Fablemans might be his best of this stretch. Made me want to go back and rewatch Bridge of Spies, RP1, and The Post again to enjoy some more of his current era.

On 12/29/2022 at 8:06 AM, JetPotato said:

The first 45 minutes were ok, tolerable at least, with the hope of an intriguing plot to come.  The last 30 minutes were ridiculously awful.  This movie should win an award, not only for the most contrived plot, but also for the most hammy acting of the year, to wit:  Daniel Craig: far better in Knives out.  JMO.  Was way too goofy for the role here I think.  Fake southern accident starting to annoy me.  Kate Hudson: Even her fantastic body couldn't help. I never want to hear that screechy voice again.  Ed Norton:  This is so painful for me because I am such a huge Norton fan... ever since Fight Club...  Well he was awful with a capital "A".  Predictable, campy, obvious, non charismatic.  Crap job by him. Probably his worst ever.

Thumbs down.

• Upvote 2

On 12/29/2022 at 5:19 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I don’t understand how Avatar has pulled in $1 billion, I literally don’t know one person that has seen it.

I haven't seen the original or the new one. I don't have anything against them I just haven't seen them.

On 12/29/2022 at 8:19 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I don’t understand how Avatar has pulled in $1 billion, I literally don’t know one person that has seen it.

Haha my philosophy on films the last 10 years is if its a box office hit save your money its an over hyped action packed turd of a film with no plot, drama or acting skills. I go for the stuff with great actors by good directors that makes less money. Always a better choice. Movies cater to 15 year olds nowdays.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:42 PM, southparkcpa said:

Watched last night …. Strange film. Needed subtitles to understand the English. 

Thought it was awful. You have a ton of circumstantial evidence, just lock this goddamn pedophile up and be done with it. Instead, they allow an undercover to give a suspected murderer a loaded pistol? Not remotely plausible.  Turned it off 45 minutes into it. 

• Upvote 1