Movies We've Seen Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing Robert De Niro in "Silver Lining Playbook". I was expecting another "Les Miserables" type experience with the wife since she picked it, but it was far from that. A really good movie. The sneaky director of this film wrapped up a chick flick with a layer of NFL football (Philly Eagles oriented) around it, and I actually enjoyed it.

De Niro was excellent as always, but the other actors, most who I'm not familiar with, were extremely convincing in their roles. Guys, grab your woman and go see Silver Lining Playbook. They'll love it, you'll love it, it's a winner in my book. Plus you'll get laid later. I swear!

Just got back from seeing Robert De Niro in "Silver Lining Playbook". I was expecting another "Les Miserables" type experience with the wife since she picked it, but it was far from that. A really good movie. The sneaky director of this film wrapped up a chick flick with a layer of NFL football (Philly Eagles oriented) around it, and I actually enjoyed it.

De Niro was excellent as always, but the other actors, most who I'm not familiar with, were extremely convincing in their roles. Guys, grab your woman and go see Silver Lining Playbook. They'll love it, you'll love it, it's a winner in my book. Plus you'll get laid later. I swear!

My synopsis from SJ's thread:

Unemployed, penniless, violent, bipolar and possibly schizophrenic felon leaves mental institution to live in parents' attic, then is relentlessly pursued by swimsuit model-type nymphomaniac. Psychotic delusions cause him to resist her advances for 90 minutes, but he ultimately yields after competing in contrived dance competition.

:fade to black:

Unemployed, penniless, violent, bipolar and possibly schizophrenic felon leaves mental institution to live in parents' attic, then is relentlessly pursued by swimsuit model-type nymphomaniac. Psychotic delusions cause him to resist her advances for 90 minutes, but he ultimately yields after competing in contrived dance competition.

Sounds like my life in a nutshell. Minus the model type nympho. Mine was more of a gravy sweating, chicken thigh in her back pocket nympho. Other than that its basically the same. 

See the movie TOm. 

If only crazy people were as beautiful as Jenniferl Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. One other thing; the Deniro character is total bullsheet. I had a client who died not long ago who was a bookie. He couldn't have cared less about any sports team as long as he had roughly equal money on both sides of a proposition. it occasionally led to odd outcomes when he didn;'t have equal wagering. In 2003 the Marlins were heavy underdogs to the Yankees. Nobody bet the Yankees because even if theyw on the payoff was minescule. But several people wagered on the Marlins because the odds were ridiculous. And that almsot wiped him out. The idea of rooting for anyone was alien to him. Potraying a bookie with a rooting interest is like having a unicorn as a character; it's divorced from reality.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Master should have won all the Oscars

disagree. It was OK, but really had two points in film where it was very slow IMO. Great acting, but form a Best Picture POV, I think they were right not to award it. Phoenix should have won though

Saw Oz: The Great and Powerful. Pretty much teh suck. James Franco plays a ridiculously unlikeable James Franco-like character, and he's surrounded by three two-dimensional actresses who do nothing. Looks pretty, though, and there are a couple of laughs. By the end, you wish they brought in a better screenwriter to clean it up and make the female characters the slightest bit interesting.

disagree. It was OK, but really had two points in film where it was very slow IMO. Great acting, but form a Best Picture POV, I think they were right not to award it. Phoenix should have won though

Phoenix and Adams should have won. The story is a little heavy-handed at times, which cost it Best Picture, but I loved it overall. The Hoffman-Phoenix scenes on the boat could melt paint.

Saw Oz: The Great and Powerful. Pretty much teh suck. James Franco plays a ridiculously unlikeable James Franco-like character, and he's surrounded by three two-dimensional actresses who do nothing. Looks pretty, though, and there are a couple of laughs. By the end, you wish they brought in a better screenwriter to clean it up and make the female characters the slightest bit interesting.

ya it sucked,,best part was the 3D which isnt a great endorsment of  a flick,,still a good film to bring young kids to I guess  (over 5 or 6)

That's why I don't buy the he does not believe everything he is saying bit.

If he was acting, you would be able to tell, looks like he believes all his bull to me.

Probably why he was so good in That's My Boy is that he *was* a good actor but the movie sucked. Show me the game tape. 

Edited by SenorGato

• 4 weeks later...