Movies We've Seen Thread

Saw 'Her' last night. I enjoyed, but DONT expect a light hearted RomCom about a guy in love w/his computer.

some idiots brought young child to theater also,,they got razzed several times,,nudity, language etc etc.

After a graphic scene, someone said "You w/the kid, nice parenting job", people applauded, LOL

Edited by SouthernJet
  • Upvote 2

some idiots brought young child to theater also,,they got razzed several times,,nudity, language etc etc.

After a graphic scene, someone said "You w/the kid, nice parenting job", people applauded, LOL

I watched a million R-rated flicks as a kid and I turned out alright.

LOL. You made my case for me   ;)

IMO dumb to bring a 5-12 year olds to films w/FBombs and nudity to public theater. But to each his own. Agree to disagree.

Let alone the factor a R Rated flick has adults attending and infants thru 5 yr olds babble, cry, squirm etc etc,,Well, bottom line, get a f'in babysitter ya cheap bastids. If you cant afford one, dont go. Folks who pay 10 bucks  a tix dont want to hear a infant cry or a kid yammering. 'Some' parents will shut em up or bring em out of theater, but so many of these idiots today think they are on their couch at home and dont understand why we arent enchanted by thier Little darlings aura ;)

Bottom line, overdo it, I have em thrown out of theater. Eventually after a few tosses by Movie manager, Pavlov kicks in and they get a babysitter.

Statler_waldorf-e1310568059677.jpg

Edited by SouthernJet

LOL. You made my case for me ;)

IMO dumb to bring a 5-12 year olds to films w/FBombs and nudity to public theater. But to each his own. Agree to disagree.

Let alone the factor a R Rated flick has adults attending and infants thru 5 yr olds babble, cry, squirm etc etc,,Well, bottom line, get a f'in babysitter ya cheap bastids. If you cant afford one, dont go. Folks who pay 10 bucks a tix dont want to hear a infant cry or a kid yammering. 'Some' parents will shut em up or bring em out of theater, but so many of these idiots today think they are on their couch at home and dont understand why we arent enchanted by thier Little darlings aura ;)

Bottom line, overdo it, I have em thrown out of theater. Eventually after a few tosses by Movie manager, Pavlov kicks in and they get a babysitter.

Statler_waldorf-e1310568059677.jpg

No, I agree. Under 8's or so shouldn't be taken to a movie where they're guaranteed to get bored. I hate kids.

• Upvote 1

I know someone who knew him back in the day, I won't say it's spot on, or that it's not exaggerated for effect, but it's within the realm of what really went down. Minus some stuff of how he was funded that was left out of both book and movie

you knew someone who was unscrupulous while gaining their wealth and valued money more than relationships? 

I don't believe it.

a) you most certainly did not.

b ) there's a difference between pounding away at yourself while sneaking a Porkys viewing while your parents are asleep, and an adult willfully taking a minor to a film filled with debauchery.  If the point you were trying to make in your post were true, you'd realize that.

Edited by Pac

I saw the documentary about John Milius on Epix last night. Very well done. Pretty much this guy wrote EVERYTHING manly in the 1970s and 1980s and then got balckballed for "Red Dawn". Which ddn't stop him form getting a ton of rewrite work but mostly ended his career on his own projects and as a director. Time well spent. Also was the John Goodman's inspiration for this guythe-big-lebowski.jpg

How the f*ck was Hanks not nominated for Captain Phillips?  The final 10-15 minutes of that film may have been the finest performance of his career (other than, perhaps, when he had to entertain an entire audience on his own for 90 minutes or so in Castaway).

Best Actor
Christian Bale, American Hustle
Bruce Dern, Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Edited by Jetsfan80

How the f*ck was Hanks not nominated for Captain Phillips?  The final 10-15 minutes of that film may have been the finest performance of his career (other than, perhaps, when he had to entertain an entire audience on his own for 90 minutes or so in Castaway).

Best Actor

Christian Bale, American Hustle

Bruce Dern, Nebraska

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street

Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave

Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

I think Tom Hanks is great, now, with that being said, he's begun falling into that great actor trap where no matter who he is supposed to be portraying, he acts like, well, Tom Hanks.

I do need to check out his two most recent movies. I'm shocked that flake McConaughey was nommed for anything. 

No lie: I predicted every move he was going to make along the way. ******* Coens.

It's supposed to be predictable and washed out. That's why the cat is there, because they realized that people in the theater would be incapable of letting go of the fact that the movie doesn't have a plot. The Coens are smarter than you are, if you can predict something that's going to happen in any of their films, it's because they let you.

I think Tom Hanks is great, now, with that being said, he's begun falling into that great actor trap where no matter who he is supposed to be portraying, he acts like, well, Tom Hanks.

I tend to agree with you, and not all of his roles have been great, but I think the mark of a great actor is that he MOVES you.  That happened in Captain Phillips.  It was such a humanizing finish to the film.

I tend to agree with you, and not all of his roles have been great, but I think the mark of a great actor is that he MOVES you.  That happened in Captain Phillips.  It was such a humanizing finish to the film.

Hard to argue. Art is subjective, which is why I think award show - whether it's the oscars or the industry awards that I have to attend - are all a device of the narcissistic and self-fellating. I've never been to a single industry award show that measures the results a project gets, it is always boiled down to politics.... and Hollywood is no different. 

The only sincere reason for Hanks being left out that I can offer, is that their are sheep in the machine.

It's supposed to be predictable and washed out. That's why the cat is there, because they realized that people in the theater would be incapable of letting go of the fact that the movie doesn't have a plot. The Coens are smarter than you are, if you can predict something that's going to happen in any of their films, it's because they let you.

This.

But then, there isn't much debate to the premise that Tomshane is not actually as smart as he'd have you believe.