Movies We've Seen Thread

Okay.  We watched Dredd Saturday night.  This is a woman who will not watch any type of horror movie, but she kept asking why you guys thought she wouldn't like it.  I said:  Well they are skinning people and throwing them over the railing...  She was not bothered in the slightest.  When it was over she stuck it out and said "thumbs up!"  Should I be worried?  Apparently she hates being scared, but does not mind gore.  She also hates any violence against children or animals.  Adults are apparently fair game.  

FWIW I thought it was pretty good, but I wasn't that impressed with all the mumbling.  

UPDATE:  She just started a new job and sent me this text: " I wish I had one of those fireball guns!"

Haha.  As soon as they showed him she said "It's Bones"  It took me a bit to figure out what she was talking about and realize she was right.  You made me watch it on the set with good sound and thanks to the scowling and mumbling I had the sound way up.  I'm sure neighbors were not pleased. 

I'M SORRY THAT HE WASN'T SMILING AND SPEAKING CLEARLY ENOUGH FOR YOU WHILE HE WAS SINGLE-HANDEDLY TAKING DOWN A WELL-ORGANIZED YET BARBARIC DRUG CARTEL.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

BTW, she has requested more recommendations.  Most of the Netflix comparators were Kung Fu movies and those are not too high up her list. We were going to try Ip Man but ended up going out to eat instead.

My wife loved Ip Man. Then again, she loves me. There's no accounting for taste.

BTW, she has requested more recommendations.  Most of the Netflix comparators were Kung Fu movies and those are not too high up her list. We were going to try Ip Man but ended up going out to eat instead.

Due to Netflix I just starting giving Anime a shot. So far, Attack on Titan is amazing and Samurai Champloo was the sh*t.  

Now she is watching 13 Assassins.  "I know it's awesome, Japanese are sick!"

Miike's 13 Assassins was an instant classic and trounces the original in my book. Top to bottom it's awesome.  I'd put it right up with Kirasawa's best flicks and that's including Seven Samuraii. I still get the chills when Shinzemon gives his pregame speech.

About to sit and watch the original Oldboy, been on my list for a long time.

I had a hard time with Oldboy. 

Miike's 13 Assassins was an instant classic and trounces the original in my book. Top to bottom it's awesome.  I'd put it right up with Kirasawa's best flicks and that's including Seven Samuraii. I still get the chills when Shinzemon gives his pregame speech.

ran.jpg

Edited by HessStation

Another all time great movie, if you can really bring yourself to just remain patient and let it all digest for a few days before making a final decision. I've only watched the unedited, longer version and although it may seem tedious at the time, I feel like you'd be getting jipped if you tried watching the alternate/shorter one.

261_box_348x490_original.jpg

Edited by HessStation

I personally think Kagemusha is severely underrated as well. Both would be in my tops list.

Dreams, is actually my favorite.  

I took a Japanese history course when I was an undergrad. The course was 100% an excuse for the prof to kill teaching hours just by showing Kurosawa movies, which is where I was first introduced to his stuff. The first time I saw Seven Samurai I was just blown away completely. We'd read an essay for one class and then the next would be whichever flick coincided with the lesson for that week. I still have a few left to go but I've seen most of his stuff. Hidden Fortress I think is really fantastic, and the one where he transcibed Macbeth over to Feudal Japan I thought was brilliant.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

I took a Japanese history course when I was an undergrad. The course was 100% an excuse for the prof to kill teaching hours just by showing Kurosawa movies, which is where I was first introduced to his stuff. The first time I saw Seven Samurai I was just blown away completely. We'd read an essay for one class and then the next would be whichever flick coincided with the lesson for that week. I still have a few left to go but I've seen most of his stuff. Hidden Fortress I think is really fantastic, and the one where he transcibed Macbeth over to Feudal Japan I thought was brilliant.

I have a copy of Drunken Angel, that man can tell a story.

If you want some real Japanese Crazy, check out Tokyo Gore Police.

That's a gorgeous film. If you like that, find "Hara Kiri: Death of a Samurai."

Ichi is ******* disgusting. Like, I still shiver thinking of some of the scenes.

Well... she started watching the trailers and these are the texts I got:

"Ok...so Ichi the Killer slices people’s heads in 2 and cuts the nipples off women.

That is still not as gruesome and torturous as living with my mother

if she didn’t ruin me...nothing will"

"OK....but I still think we should watch Ichi the Killer...there is a scene in there that’s hysterical...gruesome...but hysterical."

Maybe I should be concerned.  They don't have it on Netflix so she is trying to find a copy.  She liked 13 Assassins.  I will probably watch it tonight. 

I had a hard time with Oldboy. 

I was enjoying it, until I started to suspect what might be going on - then when it was revealed that my suspicion was accurate, I wanted to throw up. 

The scene where he kicks the crap out of all those guys with the hammer is cool though. :)

Same here, the first time I was introduced to such was in college, I took a Film study course in between regular semesters during the winter just bc I needed the extra credits. Thought it would be boring but it was my only class during the break... Turned out to be my all time favorite, would get stoned watch the movie, write the paper, play madden w/ roommates all day, deliver pizza, repeat. That was my schedule for the entire month. Opened my eyes to so much, how a truly great movie can provide so much symbolism packed per screen. It's where I saw, Dreams, which was my first Kurosawa movie. From there I really got into it and started collecting all the Criterion Collection stuff etc.