Movies We've Seen Thread

I was enjoying it, until I started to suspect what might be going on - then when it was revealed that my suspicion was accurate, I wanted to throw up. 

The scene where he kicks the crap out of all those guys with the hammer is cool though. :)

Yep, it definitely contains it's highs and lows. Not sure why Spike Lee felt the need to remake it. Why is it so hard for Americans to just read subtitles?

So as I was saying before, and just wanted to reiterate, due to Netflix I've been giving some anime a chance and although some of it has been lame I found this gem.

attack-on-titan.jpg

Attack on Titan. They are supposedly making it into a movie soon. The anime series is superb. 

Edited by HessStation

I know even you are nervous.

Not at all. Snyder's the guy who cast Leonidas, Rorschach, and Supes. I know everyone likes to rush to be internet critics that review movies before they're even made, but the one thing that Snyder has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt with is casting. Besides, people don't know sh*t. This is the same constituency that flipped their anuses because that guy from Brokeback Mountain got cast as The Joker.

I know even you are nervous.

Also the thing I'll say about Lex is that you need someone with an incredibly commanding screen presence to play that part, even moreso than Superman, because Lex is the smartest man in the room no matter who he's around, (excepting Bruce Wayne). The only role that Eisenberg's had for anything remotely in that arena is The Social Network, and I have no idea if his ability to grasp Zuckerberg was his natural inclination towards that actual personality or maybe that he's just really that good of an actor. I personally don't think it's the former based on some of the other flicks he's been in.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Also the thing I'll say about Lex is that you need someone with an incredibly commanding screen presence to play that part, even moreso than Superman, because Lex is the smartest man in the room no matter who he's around, (excepting Bruce Wayne). The only role that Eisenberg's had for anything remotely in that arena is The Social Network, and I have no idea if his ability to grasp Zuckerberg was his natural inclination towards that actual personality or maybe that he's just really that good of an actor. I personally don't think it's the former based on some of the other flicks he's been in.

In every movie, he's the frantic, twitchy guy. Lex Luther is supposed to be as cool as blue steel. 

Not at all. Snyder's the guy who cast Leonidas, Rorschach, and Supes. I know everyone likes to rush to be internet critics that review movies before they're even made, but the one thing that Snyder has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt with is casting. Besides, people don't know sh*t. This is the same constituency that flipped their anuses because that guy from Brokeback Mountain got cast as The Joker.

You, sir, are a true believer. Kudos.

I will admit to being really, really excited at the thought of Cranston's Luthor. Could have had the same franchise-making impact as Ledger's Joker.

You, sir, are a true believer. Kudos.

I'm just a comic lover. These movies are what they are. I think anyone who goes into these flicks expecting Kubrick is setting themselves up to be a cynic right off the bat. Every now and then you'll get one that transcends beyond the genre (The Dark Knight, History of Violence, Captain America 2 certainly looks like it'll be in that category), but for the most part they're just a good way of reinterpreting the guys who have spent decades entertaining through comic panels. There's been far more Dredds and Batmans than there have been Daredevils and Fantastic Fours lately, which means Hollywood is finally starting to get what works and what doesn't.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

I will admit to being really, really excited at the thought of Cranston's Luthor. Could have had the same franchise-making impact as Ledger's Joker.

Same here. But that's really just because I'm a diehard Breaking Bad lover and it wouldn't have been a difficult role to pull off. My guess is they wanted someone younger who could grow with the role over time, because this is a 10-15 year franchise that they're building. You have to remember this isn't just Lex for Superman 2, this is Lex for the Justice League movies, future Batman movies, and probably even some internet one-shots along the way. Marvel's only in Phase 2 of their schema and the first Iron Man is like 7 years ago now, so the long duree is probably more of a priority with a casting choice made like this. The last thing anyone at that studio wants to deal with is what Marvel went through with Edward Norton.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

I'm just a comic lover. These movies are what they are. I think anyone who goes into these flicks expecting Kubrick is setting themselves up to be a cynic right off the bat. Every now and then you'll get one that transcends beyond the genre (The Dark Knight, History of Violence, Captain America 2 certainly looks like it'll be in that category), but for the most part they're just a good way of reinterpreting the guys who have spent decades entertaining through comic panels. There's been far more Dredds and Batmans than there have been Daredevils and Fantastic Fours lately, which means Hollywood is finally starting to get what works and what doesn't.

I think the core issue is that they're ******* around with characters that people invested a lot of themselves into during the developmental phases of our lives. Many of us learned morality not through religion, but from Batman and Superman, etc., so the misses are near-sacrilege. There's nothing worse that the critic who despises a project simply because it crosses mediums (the Alan Moore Freakout Society, as an example), but it's dicey when they Hollywood starts screwing around with these things. It's so easy to end up Schumachering these projects.

Edited by T0mShane

In every movie, he's the frantic, twitchy guy. Lex Luther is supposed to be as cool as blue steel. 

He's an actor, you never know what someone's capable of until they're given the right break for a role. Like I said, Snyder's certainly not a director without flaws, but one thing he really seems to have a grasp on casting. If he didn't read well for the part I highly doubt he would have gotten it.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Many of us learned morality not through religion, but from Batman and Superman, etc., so the misses are near-sacrilege.

Absolutely. That's the point. Snyder hasn't really been guilty of this in any prior instances. Say what you may about Watchmen but every single one of those assigned for the roles were spot-on. And The Comedian is not an easy role to cast for by any means.

I think the core issue is that they're ******* around with characters that people invested a lot of themselves into during the developmental phases of our lives.

Dude honestly how can you even possibly say this with such confidence. The movie just started production. Nothing is even made yet.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Absolutely. That's the point. Snyder hasn't really been guilty of this in any prior instances. Say what you may about Watchmen but every single one of those assigned for the roles were spot-on. And The Comedian is not an easy role to cast for by any means.

Dude honestly how can you even possibly say this with such confidence. The movie just started production. Nothing is even made yet.

I meant it in general, as in all movies based on comics, when they're in pre-production, with "******* around" being used as shorthand for subjecting the casting/writing process to the Hollywood marketing machine. Eisenberg is a talented dude and I'm sure he'll bring an interesting angle to the role.

I meant it in general, as in all movies based on comics, when they're in pre-production, with "******* around" being used as shorthand for subjecting the casting/writing process to the Hollywood marketing machine. Eisenberg is a talented dude and I'm sure he'll bring an interesting angle to the role.

I don't think it's Hollywood's fault that the thing that people use the Internet most for is to bitch about movies.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

I've got to hand it to you guys, there's a lot of movies I've had in my queue, or that I've wanted to re-watch, that I've made an effort to squeeze in this past week because of the suggestions in the past few pages of this thread. This is actually the best conversation going on this site right now. Kudos.