Movies We've Seen Thread

No. I'll look into it. Is it work appropriate?

Just watched it.

I went into it skeptical, because I saw Thomas Jane - and he perpetually looks like he's about to puke or cry or both - but WOW.

That is the closest to right that I've seen of this character in film.

Thank you.

The Venom movie that guy made is really awesome as well. Should be on the same page. Adi Shankar is his name if I remember correctly.

No. I'll look into it. Is it work appropriate?

Just watched it.

I went into it skeptical, because I saw Thomas Jane - and he perpetually looks like he's about to puke or cry or both - but WOW.

That is the closest to right that I've seen of this character in film.

Thank you.

Have you seen Dirty Laundry? Posting on my phone so I can't link it up. Search Punisher Dirty Laundry on YouTube.

Damn, that was well done. Can't believe I've never seen that. F*cking love Ron Perlman.

Damn, that was well done. Can't believe I've never seen that. F*cking love Ron Perlman.

It's really awesome. Thomas Jane and Shankar did it for Comic Con, which I thought was pretty cool of Jane. I think it shows that The Punisher is probably one of those characters that's better suited for shorts or TV. Not every comic book character is meant to be transcribed onto film.

The Venom short is one of my favorite book to screen things ever. Venom could have been a little bit bigger, but it's kind of obvious they were working with a limited budget. Either way they nailed Eddie Brock and Venom's beginnings perfectly.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Not every comic book character is meant to be transcribed onto film.

Ehh.. not sure i agree .. I don't see any sgnifcant hurdle that a talented screenplay and director can't surpass..The right combination can make anything work.

Edited by CTM

Saw Lego movie w kids tonight and thought it was excellent. Very clever and funny.

my 8 year old boy loved it.  perfect for him.  very silly, and manic enough to keep him interested.  my old brain couldn't keep up with the visuals, it must have been a massive effort making that movie, a trillion details

So as I was saying before, and just wanted to reiterate, due to Netflix I've been giving some anime a chance and although some of it has been lame I found this gem.

attack-on-titan.jpg

Attack on Titan. They are supposedly making it into a movie soon. The anime series is superb.

Jut started this 4 episodes in and I am hooked.
  • Upvote 2

RoboCop

The Good: Oldman and Keaton steal the show. Padilha doesn't mess with the source material and keeps the story political, doing a really great job of modernizing the Neoliberal critique of the original. He also adds in a very good satirical aspect regarding sensationalized media and Congress.

The Bad: So much of what could have been comes up short because of a lack of gratuitous violence. What made the original hold up so well was the use of violence to drive home the critique of Reagan-era excess. In that capacity, this version comes up short of really having a lasting message like the original did.

Overall: Worth seeing. To call this a remake is unfair, it's a modernized reinterpretation. However, the fact that the internet called this movie dead in the water before it even started filming should probably stand as a sign for people who are too impatient for something to hit the damn screen before they formulate an opinion. If you're a fan of the original, you'll like it, but you'll also be sad at what's essentially a real missed opportunity to make a 2nd classic from the same concept. They should have aimed for an R-rated movie right from the outset.

RoboCop

The Good: Oldman and Keaton steal the show. Padilha doesn't mess with the source material and keeps the story political, doing a really great job of modernizing the Neoliberal critique of the original. He also adds in a very good satirical aspect regarding sensationalized media and Congress.

The Bad: So much of what could have been comes up short because of a lack of gratuitous violence. What made the original hold up so well was the use of violence to drive home the critique of Reagan-era excess. In that capacity, this version comes up short of really having a lasting message like the original did.

Overall: Worth seeing. To call this a remake is unfair, it's a modernized reinterpretation. However, the fact that the internet called this movie dead in the water before it even started filming should probably stand as a sign for people who are too impatient for something to hit the damn screen before they formulate an opinion. If you're a fan of the original, you'll like it, but you'll also be sad at what's essentially a real missed opportunity to make a 2nd classic from the same concept. They should have aimed for an R-rated movie right from the outset.

wasn't there a commercial in the original for an "oil change" of sorts where you got new lungs and a heart when you turned 50 ?  I seem to recall that.  we may see that within 25 years imho

my 8 year old boy loved it.  perfect for him.  very silly, and manic enough to keep him interested.  my old brain couldn't keep up with the visuals, it must have been a massive effort making that movie, a trillion details

Yeah no kidding. Incredibly fast paced but it was a fun watch. Did not get as many laughs as I expected but it was a good way to spend a cold afternoon.

So I've now watched VHS and VHS 2 and I don't know why VHS 2 got better reviews. VHS had better, more creative mini-stories and was, at least, entertaining. VHS 2 was boring and lame. 

Funny you mention that just watched them both about 2 weeks ago. 1st was better but I enjoyed them both. Creepy fun.  

wasn't there a commercial in the original for an "oil change" of sorts where you got new lungs and a heart when you turned 50 ? I seem to recall that. we may see that within 25 years imho

There was a whole satirical aspect about how the world of consumerism was driving us towards the plot of Idiocracy. Now that I think about it, that's an aspect missing from this version too.

Funny you mention that just watched them both about 2 weeks ago. 1st was better but I enjoyed them both. Creepy fun.  

Yep. The first one kept me off pace a lot better than the second. Not sure if it's just because I knew what was going on more in the second.  Now that I think about it, that's probably so, because I actually really liked the possession, the cult and abduction ones in the second one. Felt the wraparound and zombie piece was sorta weak, however. Maybe bc the second one's stories were a little more traditional? Not sure. 

Def true though, both were the kind of creepy fun horror I love. Nothing too serious or pretentious. Evil Dead, Cabin in the Woods esque. 

Not every comic book character is meant to be transcribed onto film.

Ehh.. not sure i agree .. I don't see any sgnifcant hurdle that a talented screenplay and director can't surpass..The right combination can make anything work.

I'm more in CTM's camp here... but it's not a true/false thing... I think you could take a random character like say Jubilee from X-men and with the right approach you can make a compelling film. Any character can work as the premise, it's the high profile characters that are actually the difficult ones to bring to the theater because their stories are so well know the writing and film adaptation is always weight against what we know of the comic version... whereas a peripheral character offers the director and writers a wider margin for invention, that is suitable to making a great movie.

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts on it... 

I just watched the Punisher with Dolph Lundgren.  I'm not sure why I'm telling you that...

It's the best adaptation so far... even thought it's pitiful, at least there's no Louie Anderson John Pinnet fat neighbor comic relief.

Was the ninja clan he fought identified in that film as the "Hand" clan, I believe they are supposed to be the same organization that they pitted Wolverine against in his most recent film.

Saw Lego movie w kids tonight and thought it was excellent. Very clever and funny.

I would expect nothing less. Lego cultivates a great creative culture as a company, and it comes through in their content - whether it's the video games or the movies or the in-store experience. It's a well-loved brand for a reason.

I'm more in CTM's camp here... but it's not a true/false thing... I think you could take a random character like say Jubilee from X-men and with the right approach you can make a compelling film. Any character can work as the premise, it's the high profile characters that are actually the difficult ones to bring to the theater because their stories are so well know the writing and film adaptation is always weight against what we know of the comic version... whereas a peripheral character offers the director and writers a wider margin for invention, that is suitable to making a great movie.

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts on it... 

Alan Moore has said it best several times over. The problem with trying to translate a lot of comics onto film is that in a comic, the reader is given a limitless period of time to interpret a panel. This is what makes a comic like Watchmen work, because there are 10 things going on in each frame that you can dissect. In a movie, you're having 24 frames fed to you per second and it's over in 2 hours. TV helps find a good balance between the two, because you're given a limitless amount of time to establish that world and everything that's going on around them. William Macy was doing an interview about Shameless and he was saying something similar, that there's a reason actors are flocking to TV right now, because that's where the best writing is currently and also because of the new possibilities that exist when you don't have to work in the limited box that movies create with time limits.

Just a disclaimer, I'm a huge Punisher fan and I'd bet hard coin that the only person on this site who is remotely within the same realm as me on that note is Thor.  And I can happily admit that from a basic character standpoint, The Punisher is a character that we've seen a billion incarnations of on a movie screen already. The great Castle stories, however, are not. But the problem is that there is absolutely no way, in any way shape or form, to adapt any of Garth Ennis' work into 2 hour features. It's not possible, the stories are too drawn out and would require way too much time on top of the action that would be necessary.

Alan Moore has said it best several times over. The problem with trying to translate a lot of comics onto film is that in a comic, the reader is given a limitless period of time to interpret a panel. This is what makes a comic like Watchmen work, because there are 10 things going on in each frame that you can dissect. In a movie, you're having 24 frames fed to you per second and it's over in 2 hours. TV helps find a good balance between the two, because you're given a limitless amount of time to establish that world and everything that's going on around them. William Macy was doing an interview about Shameless and he was saying something similar, that there's a reason actors are flocking to TV right now, because that's where the best writing is currently and also because of the new possibilities that exist when you don't have to work in the limited box that movies create with time limits.

I don't disagree with you - but I'll stand by the opinion that any character can be adapted to film. The success of that adaptation taps into your point, the story has to be removed from being conveyed like a comic book. It doesn't work. That's why you see the "day in the life" style of films work the best, it gives the director a story arc that can self-contain to 2 hours and opens the door for them to focus on the artistry of creating a film experience, rather than the chore of squeezing more content into 2 hours than what fits.

Just a disclaimer, I'm a huge Punisher fan and I'd bet hard coin that the only person on this site who is remotely within the same realm as me on that note is Thor.  And I can happily admit that from a basic character standpoint, The Punisher is a character that we've seen a billion incarnations of on a movie screen already. The great Castle stories, however, are not. But the problem is that there is absolutely no way, in any way shape or form, to adapt any of Garth Ennis' work into 2 hour features. It's not possible, the stories are too drawn out and would require way too much time on top of the action that would be necessary.

War Journal was the best line of books for the Punisher. He was my favorite character - I've said about him since I discovered him, this is Marvel's Batman. I just don't think Marvel has every taken advantage of the character the way they could have. I could probably have given you a run for your money on Punisher fanhood when I was still reading. For me it was always him and Wolverine. The two that Marvel has subsequently handled wrong in film.

Hulk, Ghost Rider and McFarlane's Spidey as well... and then there was my love affair with the entire X-Men universe. Holy sh*t I spent a lot of money on comic books.

I don't disagree with you - but I'll stand by the opinion that any character can be adapted to film. The success of that adaptation taps into your point, the story has to be removed from being conveyed like a comic book. It doesn't work. That's why you see the "day in the life" style of films work the best, it gives the director a story arc that can self-contain to 2 hours and opens the door for them to focus on the artistry of creating a film experience, rather than the chore of squeezing more content into 2 hours than what fits.

I never said that any character couldn't be adapted to film. Put Christopher Nolan in a room with other smart people and you can probably always find a way. I said that not every character is meant to be transcribed onto film, ipso facto they're better suited for other mediums. The Walking Dead is a great example; you could probably make a decent zombie flick out of stringing together some stuff, but given the time that TV allows, guys like Rick and The Governor and Daryl are now all classic characters.

War Journal was the best line of books for the Punisher. He was my favorite character - I've said about him since I discovered him, this is Marvel's Batman. I just don't think Marvel has every taken advantage of the character the way they could have. I could probably have given you a run for your money on Punisher fanhood when I was still reading. For me it was always him and Wolverine. The two that Marvel has subsequently handled wrong in film.

Hulk, Ghost Rider and McFarlane's Spidey as well... and then there was my love affair with the entire X-Men universe. Holy sh*t I spent a lot of money on comic books.

The problem with Wolverine is that he's a NC-17 rated character which the studio has to keep at a PG-13 rated level. What they did to Miller's Wolverine is ******* pathetic, and shame on the studio and Jackman for claiming they followed it in any way shape or form.  Ditto for Daredevil, and at least Marvel's doing right by him and giving him his own Netflix show.

I never said that any character couldn't be adapted to film. Put Christopher Nolan in a room with other smart people and you can probably always find a way. I said that not every character is meant to be transcribed onto film, ipso facto they're better suited for other mediums. The Walking Dead is a great example; you could probably make a decent zombie flick out of stringing together some stuff, but given the time that TV allows, guys like Rick and The Governor and Daryl are now all classic characters.

The problem with Wolverine is that he's a NC-17 rated character which the studio has to keep at a PG-13 rated level. What they did to Miller's Wolverine is ******* pathetic, and shame on the studio and Jackman for claiming they followed it in any way shape or form.  Ditto for Daredevil, and at least Marvel's doing right by him and giving him his own Netflix show.

Fair clarification, I agree with that.

I'm glad I didn't know you when I was like 14. You might have been enough to tip the scales for me into total geekdome... LOL ;)

Fair clarification, I agree with that.

I'm glad I didn't know you when I was like 14. You might have been enough to tip the scales for me into total geekdome... LOL ;)

I was the worst. One time I walked into Sunday School and started yelling at the teacher that Dark Knight Returns was a better book than the Torah and that we should be studying both. True story.