Movies We've Seen Thread

So I finally saw The Conjuring, and thought it was surprisingly awesome. I thought that genre of horror killed itself but was wrong.

I read up on the actual people involved and got creeped out all over again. Enjoyable horror flick.

I just found out the remake of Oldboy does away with what made the original a classic comedy. Boooooooo pussification of America

Did you finally see it? I was so disappointed.  I usually like Brolin and Copley quite a bit, it just seemed kind of stale to be honest. I find the younger Olsen sister pretty smokin, so that was really the only consolation for me. The single-shot scene was pretty awesome, not nearly as great as the original though.

Pacific Rim is fun to watch, but those Jaegers were designed to get ****ed up sooner or later. The dialogue is insane bad. Nice warmup for Godzilla, which will blow minds.

It's supposed to be bad, Del Toro designed it that way. The entire flick is a shameless ode to every single monster and alien invasion flick that has ever existed. The fact that the plot is blatant ID4 from top to bottom is the most obvious example, but he used the same voice for the computer systems as GLaDOS in Portal, and the suits that they wear inside the Jaegers are straight from Robot Jox,..etc. There's a billion others. If the dialogue was smart and challenging, it wouldn't exactly be paying homage to any of those movies because then Del Toro would have been trying to tell a story, which he obviously wasn't interested in doing.

It's supposed to be bad, Del Toro designed it that way. The entire flick is a shameless ode to every single monster and alien invasion flick that has ever existed. The fact that the plot is blatant ID4 from top to bottom is the most obvious example, but he used the same voice for the computer systems as GLaDOS in Portal, and the suits that they wear inside the Jaegers are straight from Robot Jox,..etc. There's a billion others. If the dialogue was smart and challenging, it wouldn't exactly be paying homage to any of those movies because then Del Toro would have been trying to tell a story, which he obviously wasn't interested in doing.

Love Robot Jox.

Just picked up Corman's Piranha on Blu-Ray.

My wife got me Godzilla vs. Biollante, don't know anything about it.

Do not watch Piranha sober. Repeat, do not watch that movie sober.

BTW, I don't know if they still do it, but years ago TNT used to keep Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley on to host late-night movies after games. They used to have Barkley sitting on a throne in the middle of Smith and Ernie Johnson. One night they did Piranha, and every commercial break they'd cut to Barkley so he could give his thoughts on the movie. You have not truly experienced a great campy movie until you see Charles Barkley taking it seriously.

just caught the 2nd half of pacific rim

the good news is my 8 year old was laughing at the kaiju, which means I can take him to see godzilla

the bad news is I am raising a psychopath

The last hour is incredible. Some of the best special effects sequences of all time. The way he portrays Hong Kong looks cool as hell on screen.

Yeah, still could have used more giant monster killing cannons.. I'm not so much worried about the dialogue really, not expecting a gem there.

Busted out Judge Minty for the first time in a while. This is a personal favorite for Internet shorts and I would heavily recommend it if you're a Dredd fan. If you haven't read any of the comics, this is a great portrayal of a part of Dredd's world not explored in the movie.

http://www.judgeminty.com/

Edited by RutgersJetFan

I am very happy to be watching Europa Report right now. It's tense, the cast sneaks up on you with Copley and Nyqvist, visually it's excellent (though not Prometheus or anything), it's drawn out but you never feel as if the movie is boring or anything...I think this was a nice little find. 

I am very happy to be watching Europa Report right now. It's tense, the cast sneaks up on you with Copley and Nyqvist, visually it's excellent (though not Prometheus or anything), it's drawn out but you never feel as if the movie is boring or anything...I think this was a nice little find. 

Lunopolis is good too. It's painfully low budget, but very clever.

Lunopolis is good too. It's painfully low budget, but very clever.

I liked it, watched it on Hulu.

I still can't get over Europa Report creature. Bioluminescent cephalopod doesn't seem crazy, it's still water right? OTOH I am mostly a dumbass.

Yeah, so they consulted a marine biologist for the project:

And then we talked to this fantastic Marine Biologist (whose name escapes me) who is obviously a marine biologist here on Earth but her passion is Europa life. If there is an ocean on Europa, what would the life be like? We spoke to her quite a bit about life science.

http://io9.com/how-real-scientists-shaped-the-story-of-europa-report-610390132

SHE NEEDED DA MOOOONEEEY?

Edited by SenorGato

I know it's nowhere near perfect but I watch Man of Steel whenever I see it on. Great villain. It even overrides the whole dying for a dog during a tornado bullsh*t.

MoS is awesome. Any Supes movie is going to be overly scrutinzed to death because it's Supes. Don't listen. There's a reason that comic heads have gone apesh*t over it since it's release. I have my problems with it, in particular I think the way he reframed Jonathan Kent's death was shortsighted and ****s up a few things going forward, but I'd put it 3rd behind Dredd and TDK for best comic book flicks ever.

so I wasted 2.5 hours on the steaming pile of crap that is the desolation of smaug today.     It was boring.   Even the dragon scenes.  the best was part was the last 20 seconds, then they end the movie

FU jackson

I don't know how anyone can stand The Hobbit flicks on a regular flat screen. In IMAX they're a sight to behold and certainly worth the watch, but outside of a theater those movies are ******* clown shoes.